• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else want Ash gone and the show to use different protagonist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
I think that to replace him now would be a bit of a risk but in 5 years time replacing Ash wouldn't be such a bad thing.

If they were to replace Ash now I think Max would be a decent person to replace him with. He is a character we are familiar with, can lead to cameos from older characters and would be funny looking at someone who has researched Pokemon make mistakes rather than some idiot with no knowledge making them. Also if we were counting each Generation as one year then Max would be at the right age to start his journey.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Honestly? No. I would stop watching the anime if Ash left. He's annoying, he's rubbish and he doesn't seem to learn from anything, but that's my childhood and I'd hate that to be changed.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
Years
This is a show with NO character development. Maybe he picks a few things up in one season, then the next he forgets everything. In reigon changes it's like he's forgotten how to battle. He loses to nooby Snivys and has a hell of a time capturing new, weak starters...
I watch Naruto and DB(Z/GT) so this formula is terrible, IMO. I don't want to see a moron change his clothes every few reigons...
Just speaking 3/4 of what I had to say about Ash.

Years
I guess Ash could be replaced if he becomes a Pokemon Master.

If I were to see a new character taking his place, I'd make it Hilda from the 5th Gen games. It's just that she looks the part to have a Ash Ketchum-like quest and she would also pursue becoming a Pokemon Master.

Her starter will of course, stay outside of its Poke Ball and not evolve. I'd make it Oshawott as Hilda is a Unova-based character.

As for traveling companions, I'd say the other mains of the BW games (Hilbert, Cheren and Bianca)

This is just my opinion.

Last edited:

drarixio

Charging up since '89
Years
He should. Then Hilda or Jimmy might step up. Then they'll have to make the Legend of Thunder movie non-cannon. Jimmy and his friends have character development. At the into of Pmon Chronicles, there're a breif shot of Jimmy, Marina (something) and Vincent with their new starters, looking young.
If they replace Ash with a new trainer and give him/her development, more people will watch the show. Maybe this Generation's younger fans will stop watching, but the older and later ones will like it more, especially when they compare it with the original.
DB (Z/GT) had character development and did anyone have a problem? NO! Not the younger people, like me (my dad downloaded the cut dubbed episodes of DBZ when I was around 8 or 9), not the older people either.
I think if they gave some development, the show will be liked by (99% =P) people of all ages.
I'm sleeeeeeeepyzzzzz....

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2012
Can't eliminate Ash that easily, if he'll be replace definitely same fate will happen to Pikachu and the rest of the group 'coz viewers got used to see the similar characters in the journey. Maybe the creators last resort was make him more matured and put a little romance in the story. LOL

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2011
Director already described and I also want that.......

Ash will never replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and do any quote you want , but ANY POKEMON FAN CAN NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASH IS MAIN PART OF THE SERIES AND WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER REPLACED !!!!! yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. huuohOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yES
Yes

Can't eliminate Ash that easily, if he'll be replace definitely same fate will happen to Pikachu and the rest of the group 'coz viewers got used to see the similar characters in the journey. Maybe the creators last resort was make him more matured and put a little romance in the story. LOL

aRE YOU matured if yes , that doesn't means all have.

There are still / will many children that likes to show non-mature shows.

Last edited:

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
Years
I wish Ash could take a break & replace the story with like Red's story & how he actually became a Pokemon Master but it's very unlikely that they'd do that.

Snivy063

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Obviously, writers doesn't want to change Ash simply because he became the trademark of the anime as well as Pikachu. Changing it will cause a kind of let down to viewers such as young children or for those who grew up watching the anime. Just my opinion, but for me. I'd be fine.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
It was already stated in the interview with Masamitsu Hidaka that Ash and Pikachu will never be replace,no matter how much fans get tired of Ash and Pikachu they are here to stay until the show is over with Ash becoming a pokemon master,but even i doubt that will ever happen.

Technically, Masamitsu Hidaka no longer has much of an impact on the show, especially when, going by what the interview stated, he was demoted to a storyboard artist instead of a director by the end of Season 9, so his words about Ash continuing to remain on the show remains null. Besides, some of the figures indicate that Pokemon's rating had severely dropped.

As for the main topic, here's my views on what the writers should do:

A. have Ash become a lot more mature and actually know what he's doing (I mean, come on, he's supposed to be a seasoned vet, yet the way he's acting is not what a veteran should act like).

B. remove him from the show entirely (also fits in with the advertisement angle of the games).

or

C. both replace him and yet make him an actual mentor (think how they had Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty).

I also think they should actually give a clear, concise definition on how to achieve the rank of Pokemon Master.

There's also cancelling the show, but that's probably not gonna work as an answer.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
One reason I hated in Digimon is because they changed the protagonists in each season, one thing I hated in Yu-Gi-Oh is that they changed the protagonists too in the series, one thing I didn't liked in Beyblade... is the change of the main characters again. C'mon guys, not everything should change. Yes Ash is becoming monotonous, but he is an iconic figure, if he would be replaced Nintendo need to be very creative and create an character who has the potential to be more iconic than Ash is, because to be as iconic as Ash, then it would be better to stay with the first one.

tough

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
Technically, Masamitsu Hidaka no longer has much of an impact on the show, especially when, going by what the interview stated, he was demoted to a storyboard artist instead of a director by the end of Season 9, so his words about Ash continuing to remain on the show remains null. Besides, some of the figures indicate that Pokemon's rating had severely dropped.

A. have Ash become a lot more mature and actually know what he's doing (I mean, come on, he's supposed to be a seasoned vet, yet the way he's acting is not what a veteran should act like).

B. remove him from the show entirely (also fits in with the advertisement angle of the games).

or

C. both replace him and yet make him an actual mentor (think how they had Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty).

I also think they should actually give a clear, concise definition on how to achieve the rank of Pokemon Master.

There's also cancelling the show, but that's probably not gonna work as an answer.
I still don't see Ash ever being replace, because the show would suck without Ash being in it,so it will never happen.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I still don't see Ash ever being replace, because the show would suck without Ash being in it,so it will never happen.

Maybe it would stink, but at least it wouldn't result in such pain as seeing him become a newbie far too many times via "restarts" despite him being a seasoned vet. It was excusable in Kanto, since he actually was a rookie to the entire thing. It's not nearly as excusable now, after he went through four to five regional leagues and one Battle Frontier. Even you have to admit that. If they aren't going to remove him, they should at least try to have him act professional. Heck, even give him an almost Solid Snake-esque personality just to show he actually does know what he's doing if it comes down to it.

One reason I hated in Digimon is because they changed the protagonists in each season, one thing I hated in Yu-Gi-Oh is that they changed the protagonists too in the series, one thing I didn't liked in Beyblade... is the change of the main characters again. C'mon guys, not everything should change. Yes Ash is becoming monotonous, but he is an iconic figure, if he would be replaced Nintendo need to be very creative and create an character who has the potential to be more iconic than Ash is, because to be as iconic as Ash, then it would be better to stay with the first one.

I take it you hate the Pokemon games as well, seeing how they also replace the main character constantly. I think you might have to hate Pokemon Special, seeing how they replace the characters a lot.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I take it you hate the Pokemon games as well, seeing how they also replace the main character constantly. I think you might have to hate Pokemon Special, seeing how they replace the characters a lot.

I never said I hate those series just that they changed the protagonists. And since the games players don't show personalities it doesn't make any difference. Although I got upset when I saw Red doesn't appears in Ruby and Sapphire. Ash is now an con in the Pokémon anime series and I doubt that they will replace him.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years

or

If we saw Ash go through a maturation process and his story progress then when he eventually does leave it would at least for me feel more satisfying. But if they just went ahead right now and replaced him I would have a longing sense they could have done a lot more with his character. And if they continue what they were doing with a new face then it won't be much better then the cycle was with Ash and Pikachu.

I'd be in favor of him progressing and taking a mentoring role as well as taking part in his or story lines.

They did? They kept on all the past charactes as minor characters and made them mentors like Izzy and Tai(at least these two felt like the most active mentors), and kept on TK and Kari as mains. Tyson was a main stay on the Blade Breakers... Kenny was there most if not the whole time as well. Having Kai, Max, and Ray go to opposing teams then back to the Breakers I thought was a nice move. I agree with the last part, if they do replace him they did a dynamic figure not just more of the same. Also replacing Pikachu would be interesting as well seeing as he is the company mascot.

How do you know if they never took a chance to chance anything. To say it would suck is something you would be able to say for sure in retrospective.

tough

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
If we saw Ash go through a maturation process and his story progress then when he eventually does leave it would at least for me feel more satisfying. But if they just went ahead right now and replaced him I would have a longing sense they could have done a lot more with his character. And if they continue what they were doing with a new face then it won't be much better then the cycle was with Ash and Pikachu.

I'd be in favor of him progressing and taking a mentoring role as well as taking part in his or story lines.

They did? They kept on all the past charactes as minor characters and made them mentors like Izzy and Tai(at least these two felt like the most active mentors), and kept on TK and Kari as mains. Tyson was a main stay on the Blade Breakers... Kenny was there most if not the whole time as well. Having Kai, Max, and Ray go to opposing teams then back to the Breakers I thought was a nice move. I agree with the last part, if they do replace him they did a dynamic figure not just more of the same. Also replacing Pikachu would be interesting as well seeing as he is the company mascot.

How do you know if they never took a chance to chance anything. To say it would suck is something you would be able to say for sure in retrospective.

They will never replace Ash because even if they did do that it would still be the samething with the new protagonist doing Gym battles,they are not going to replace him no matter what you say is not going to ever happen,Ash is here to stay.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
They will never replace Ash because even if they did do that it would still be the samething with the new protagonist doing Gym battles,they are not going to replace him no matter what you say is not going to ever happen,Ash is here to stay.
"Technically, Masamitsu Hidaka no longer has much of an impact on the show, especially when, going by what the interview stated, he was demoted to a storyboard artist instead of a director by the end of Season 9"
Like said earlier he doesn't really have much of an impact so that's not an absolute. You cannot say anything will happen without a shadow of a doubt unless you can either predict the future or you are the one calling the shots concerning characters and story boarding. Which I doubt either applies to you. So what ever you say there is a possibility of it happening, whether you want to believe it or not. Just like anything else in the series.

tough

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
"Technically, Masamitsu Hidaka no longer has much of an impact on the show, especially when, going by what the interview stated, he was demoted to a storyboard artist instead of a director by the end of Season 9"
Like said earlier he doesn't really have much of an impact so that's not an absolute. You cannot say anything will happen without a shadow of a doubt unless you can either predict the future or you are the one calling the shots concerning characters and story boarding. Which I doubt either applies to you. So what ever you say there is a possibility of it happening, whether you want to believe it or not. Just like anything else in the series.
Well you are right anything is possible,they may replace Ash and they may not replace Ash it can happen either way..

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
That being said like I have stated else where. I am a little wary of them replacing him, especially in the near future. If they ended it now I just wouldn't have any closure for his character. I think why people mainly want Ash ousted is cause one Saga he is competent or gaining some battle intelligence that's built up. Then next Saga he acts like this is the first time he's seen a pokemon. Would they go the same route with a completely new character? Who knows... But if they do then honestly I'd look back and say "Why did you replace him, when you are doing the same thing with character X". I'm fine with the show keeping Ash as a main Protagonist but don't just have him as more of the same, I would like to think that they are aware they have a reoccurring audience that pays attention to previous Sagas and hopes for more in the future. Alas we will probably get a repeat and they will cater to a new audience once again.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I would want it, unless they change back to that good old voice actress/actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back