• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
NO.

Those games are, simply put, outdated. The only way Gamefreak could get away with creating another Kanto remake is by overhauling the region further than they did in HGSS.

This is why I also hope the new Hoenn games aren't strict remakes.

Also love the people saying Kanto has already been remade while Hoenn hasn't. Kanto's remake is on the same level as the original Hoenn games nowadays: bad. If Hoenn gets an overhaul, and one in 3D, so could Kanto. Besides, of course Kanto gets more spotlight than other regions. It was where Pokémon started after all. That being said, it already got a new anime, so I'm positive they won't remake it in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I think at this point a Kanto remake would only be feasible if they threw in Johto as well. The two regions are intertwined.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
NO.

Those games are, simply put, outdated. The only way Gamefreak could get away with creating another Kanto remake is by overhauling the region further than they did in HGSS.

This is why I also hope the new Hoenn games aren't strict remakes.

Also love the people saying Kanto has already been remade while Hoenn hasn't. Kanto's remake is on the same level as the original Hoenn games nowadays: bad. If Hoenn gets an overhaul, and one in 3D, so could Kanto. Besides, of course Kanto gets more spotlight than other regions. It was where Pokémon started after all. That being said, it already got a new anime, so I'm positive they won't remake it in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I think at this point a Kanto remake would only be feasible if they threw in Johto as well. The two regions are intertwined.

Well they are marketing it as a new world so it may not be Hoenn. I also agree, both sets needs to be completely redone now.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Now wouldn't that be wonderful. Hoenn remakes that don't take place in Hoenn. The fanboys would rage. ^^

Lol sites like TV tropes actually put the trope Fan Dumb in YMMV under Ruby and Sapphire for those who thought that they wouldn't take place in Hoenn xD.

I think the next in line are DP remakes in terms of remakes, and those are likely next gen, or two from now.

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
I expect Gen 4 remakes on whatever the next portable that can't play DS and below will be. And then Gen 2 and Gen 5 will also get remakes, and maybe Gen 1.

Though, if they remake Gen 2, then there won't be any need to remake Gen 1 since you have Kanto right there - as it is now HGSS has all the dungeons and legendaries from Kanto in the Gen 2 story. So we don't need another Gen 1 remake and I wouldn't mind if they never go that route, ever - Gen 1 is defined, in my opinion, by its bugs and strange design choices. FRLG removed both and Kanto's more than a little boring without them (FRLG did not fix this, which was a mistake IMO, but eh. We know how Nintendo and its partners operate.)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
A couple of things that would make a 3D Gen 1 Remake AWESOME:

- Have the additional evolutions to the Kanto Pokemon available as HG/SS did.
- Have the first member of your party follow you around like HG/SS did.
- Have a massive post-game including not only the Events on the Sevii Islands, but also the Orange Islands (and Orange League) and Access to the Johto Region to bridge the gap between the Kanto and Johto Games (Johto gyms available with OP Pokemon).

This is, of course, in addition to all of the advancements in graphics and game mechanics introduced between Gens 4 and 6 (that goes without saying).

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
No. I don't want to see Kanto remakes at all. Ever.

What I would like to see is a return to a notably updated Kanto, for an entirely new story. And I actually think that would make sense and be pretty easily justified.

There have been enormous changes to the games since the Kanto originals. Kanto was sort of intended to be a mostly urban area (as contrasted to the more rural setting of Johto), but because of the limitations of the technology, it wasn't possible to make it feel really urban. It was just impossible to include enough buildings and NPCs and such. Now it is possible. And it's perfectly reasonable that in the time since the original stories, the region has grown to being a real metropolis.

And there has to be a way to fit in and explain away all of the new pokemon, since there are over four times as many of them now as there were then, and who better to investigate and/or explain away such staggering growth than Professor Oak? And it'd be great to revisit the old characters in updated forms.

So - a return to Kanto? Sure. A remake? No way. The originals (both the story and the region) were just too simple and they've already been faithfully remade once. If there's ever a time that GF should do an entirely new story in an old region, this is it.

Last edited:

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
Honestly, I don't want to see another Kanto remake.

If they do decide to use the region again, I'd like another premise. I think that's the only thing that would justify using that again. Kanto's been in almost all generations except Gen 5. (RBGY,GSC,FRLG,HGSS)

But hey, if they do decide to do that, I'd like to see what's in it. But I really don't think another Kanto remake is necessary.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
R/B have already gotten a remake, I'm sure they don't need ANOTHER one.

please.

If they were really going to "remake" it again, it should be a sequel or something.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I wouldn't mind a remake of R/B, and I'll probably be disappointed if they don't come out with one eventually. FR/LG won't last forever, and they are starting to seem pretty dated, so another remake could be in order. I would prefer to have something a little more expanded, though, as I do feel like I've played through R/B a lot.

Kanto is one of my favorite regions (Johto is probably my favorite, with Kanto in second), and though we've been there a lot, I wouldn't mind revisiting. But I would like more of an expansion than the Sevii Islands this time around. Perhaps they could incorporate the Orange Islands from the anime, with new badges and things to do.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I wouldn't mind a remake of R/B, and I'll probably be disappointed if they don't come out with one eventually. FR/LG won't last forever, and they are starting to seem pretty dated, so another remake could be in order. I would prefer to have something a little more expanded, though, as I do feel like I've played through R/B a lot.

Kanto is one of my favorite regions (Johto is probably my favorite, with Kanto in second), and though we've been there a lot, I wouldn't mind revisiting. But I would like more of an expansion than the Sevii Islands this time around. Perhaps they could incorporate the Orange Islands from the anime, with new badges and things to do.

Maybe in the post-game they can open up a gateway to Johto and give us an opportunity to play out the events in the years leading up to the Johto games.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Maybe in the post-game they can open up a gateway to Johto and give us an opportunity to play out the events in the years leading up to the Johto games.
I actually really like that idea. We've seen Kanto in multiple eras, but we've only seen Johto once (well, once plus a remake), and I think that there's a lot more that could be done with that region. Plus, since the two regions are already connected, it definitely wouldn't be unreasonable for GameFreak to allow access to Johto. We've been to Kanto after seeing Johto; why not the reverse?

Tek

Years
We've already seen how Kanto looks on the DS (via HG/SS), so no need for a remake in that respect. There is the addition of the Fairy type to consider.

But in the end, we already have remakes of those games. R/B/Y was what started me on Pokemon; I absolutely love those games and the remakes of them. But I would not buy a 3DS remake of R/B. I'm happy with the remake I already have.

What I would buy is:
- a remake of Yellow version
- a sequel to R/B or an entirely new game set in Kanto

pastel_fallout

Sayounara
Years
Maybe a sequel to R/B like many have said. Honestly, I'm pretty sick of Kanto. Just hearing the region name no longer brings nostalgia, but the "I'm so done with this" look upon my face.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I doubt we will get any more remakes after ORAS period. Sort of sequels or prequels, perhaps, but I doubt we will have any more remakes. If we do, when will we stop? Ten R/B/Y remakes? Sounds boring.

Hell, if anything, they'll release the original games on the Nintendo 3DS store with compatibility to PokeBank.

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
Years
I've just finished another play through of Soul Silver and I have to admit, I am boreeeeeed senseless of Kanto! I love a remake as much as the next guy (Hoenn confirmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!!) but a remake of a remake is a bit silly...

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I was thinking about this, again.

We've been able to go to Kanto from gen one to four. Only gen five and six have not allowed us to go back to Kanto. Considering gen one and three take place around the same time, what do you think the odds are that we will be able to visit Kanto in ORAS?

Alkaiser

Superhero
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Wouldn't it be then a remake of Fire Red/Leaf Green? I mean, it would be pretty silly to remake games that already have a remake. However, remake the remake sounds really stupid too xD

Nope, I don't want more remakes at all, less remakes of already remaked games.

Back