• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I don't know what to say, That map is just pure awesome! <3
Thanks man. For your map, I'd suggest making it more rounded, as your map is very square. Also your grass should follow this rule too. Note how my grass comes in sorta crescent shapes. The upper middle down to the bottom right areas have too much grass. Also you will want to get or make better diagonal stair tiles.

thanks every one for the examples. I'll try to fix, my maps as soon as possible.

Edit new map i hopw its good :D

Spoiler:

There are no gaps in the trees.

Some of those empty space you can see. Are for items.

There is a road construction going on. So, thats why there are those half road mud paths

You're still not listening. You need to make smaller paths. Much smaller. And make more of them. Take a look at my earlier post for an example. Maps are meant to be very detailed things; you don't want to use too big a brush. It is much better to have a smaller, well designed map than a big poorly designed one. That goes for Rayquaza too. Make smaller maps. Much smaller. Like I suggested, start with 30x30 and go from there. For ppooookkkkkkk, try 60 wide by 30 high. For Rayquaza, try 30 wide by 90 high. Note this doesn't count the edges; that'll add in like 10 each side or thereabouts. Good luck guys.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
o1o45.jpg

Redid the map.
Made it less square full and such.

I actually liked the last one better. While it was kind of square, it isn't "bad square".
It was rather "official square".
It looked more like a real FRLG map then.

If you're going for an official look, I preferred the last one.
This new one simply looks like it was intentionally made less square. It doesn't actually look better.

Last map: 8/10
New map 7/10

-----------------------------------

Now for my map.
Guada Desert from my upcoming game Pokémon Cyan:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@tImE: How did that pickup got there!?
8/10, Looks really good, though I think you went a bit overboard with the cacti in the southwest area of the map.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I really think people underrate the official maps. They aren't bad.
True that, but there are some exceptions...

Square isn't bad either. There's so many styles of mapping that it's difficult to say one is better than the other (although admittedly, some are just plain bad). And the notion that there's such things as a "perfect mapping style" are completely false.
Well, things usually go wrong when people try to combine style, like the the original style from Gamefreak with the "more natural" style I usually use. It almost always ends up in a really cluttered map...

I think I need to do a couple of blog posts/tutorials/something about mapping styles one day.
Sounds like a good idea to me, I'd love to help you out with it!

Arma

The Hyena
Years
What looks bad about it now? I followed everyones suggestion (jim 42's about making the map smaller)
No you didn't, I've told you to make your paths smaller (narrower) and stop using large sees of tall grass...

I'll create my own version of your map, you can use that as a comparison.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Okay, the ledges in your map are almost completely useless... Furthermore, half of the grass patches can be avoided as well. You can get through this map by just walking through 3 tiles of tall grass. you should force the player to walk through it.

I made a route similar to your's. Try comparing both maps.
pookv.png

You can see that the ledges clearly serve a purpose now, as they allow the player to backtrack without being slowed down by tall grass.

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Okay, the ledges in your map are almost completely useless... Furthermore, half of the grass patches can be avoided as well. You can get through this map by just walking through 3 tiles of tall grass. you should force the player to walk through it.

I made a route similar to your's. Try comparing both maps.
pookv.png

You can see that the ledges clearly serve a purpose now, as they allow the player to backtrack without being slowed down by tall grass.

This map i like,

@ppooookkkkkkk, i dont like the tiles you're using, then again that is my personal preference. Still doesn't invalidate my opinion. Why does your map have those random patches of gray in the paths, and your ledges have no purpose like he said above. the ledges in the game were used to make it faster to travel from one place to the next when you had to back track... For example, going back to pallet town from viridian city.

EDIT: @elarmasecreta, I had no idea you explained the ledges purpose under the map.. haha

@Dradier234, I'm not a big fan of that map. You change the player's ground level(with the stairs), with no purpose other than to just make them do it. The randomly placed bushes seem to make no sense or fit the area, aswell as the flowers and rocks. everything in a map usually makes sense or is plausible but the middle dip seems to make no sense.. Also your mountains are too square, no mountain forms like that on multiple levels...

Last edited:

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
I finally found out that my tiles look dull/lifeless :\. So i changed their color now it looks more bright! Also about the half road mud tiles. There is a road cunstruction going on(But why?)
pokemon_morning_night_area_route_2_by_ahmad2334-d5pxdpl.png
Here is the second part(it Connects with it).

pokemon_morning_night_area_route_2_part_2_by_ahmad2334-d5qr1bf.png

Sorry about some tilerrors as well as a skip able patch of grass.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Heres Route 3 for my game:
route3.png

The overall shape is good, but here's some points i found.

Spoiler:

Red = Why is this ladder different from the others?
Blue = The steps don't work like that, if you look in the public FRLG tileset hard enough, you'll find some more ladders like this one?
hR96S.jpg

Yellow = I believe I mentioned this earlier a few times, you've clashed tile styles again, those thin trees are from RSE, where as everything else you have is FRLG.
NCkHz.jpg
These are the FRLG ones you require.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
A map of my game. It's called Pitsborough Town. 50x30. Sorry for the blank spaces, don't know how to remove them.

My first map using Crazyninjaguy's kit.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
If this is the starter town its good with keeping to Nintendo's style however a bit of diversity is still good I mean take Aspertia City for one its unique for having a Pokemon Center, Gym and Trainer School as part of the hometown. I don't think having the berry trees is a good idea because they are all mean to be accessible in the games. Also all the plants seem to formal you have rectangles of flowers and shrubs and the trees look like the were built there they don't seem natural. Also if this is a Starter Town you should have one House bigger to refer to the player. Otherwise most of the stuff is ok maybe squash it in horizontally but its not bad.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@ppooookkkkkkk: That second map actually looks pretty good. the first one looks a lot better as well, there just a few things you need to pay attention to:
The center patch of grass is pretty much useless, as players can easily avoid it.
The third ledge serves no purpose as well, I mean players can easily walk around them without too much effort, and it doesn't really provide a real shortcut.

Anyway, this looks a lot better than your original maps, keep practicing!

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Heres a edit... Changed bushes, the reason there's mountains on the map is because it leads to route 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back