• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CBC's Tutoring Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2011
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: skiddz
Timezone: EST -5
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I need help with team building and creating great movesets to have good synergy. Also help with IV breeding would be appreciated
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I work up until 4 every day and then in bed at 10 pm.

5-10 pm works best

I would like to be in the class or get 1on1 so just pm me or respond to this

NotchedEarPichu

The Best Friend Of A Lifetime
Years
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: NotchedEarPichu
Timezone: UTC - 6
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I need help with team building and creating awesome movesets. Also need help with IV breeding...mabye a little bit of EV training
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have stuff to do in the morning to about 1pm. I am open from 2-8 most weekdays. Weekends change depending on what is going on.

I would really like to do 1 on 1 but classes would be fine with me to. Thanks :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Mheh... I think I'll give it a whirl - Can't get any worse! XD

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Espeonature
Timezone: GMT -5 until August 2nd, then GMT +5:30
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Everything! I'm terrible!
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule?: It's erratic, because of life, but I think I can fix regular timings - group class times don't agree with my schedule, though.

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
I hope I'm not too late to join the party. (:

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Conjurer / Count Jura / Soldier
Timezone: GMT +7
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I've been told that I'm best with stall, but I'm decent with everything in general.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have no Summer Vacation here, so don't expect to see e around 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM (my time), unless it's the weekends.

Last edited:

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2012
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Shelmet.
Timezone: UTC±0
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building and synergy.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I might be busy on the weekends.

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2012
This is a great idea! Only, I'll probably miss the classes because I'll be gone all next week... :(
Will it be accessable to me when I get back?
Also, I hope class 2 will be when I get back

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
This is a great idea! Only, I'll probably miss the classes because I'll be gone all next week... :(
Will it be accessable to me when I get back?
Also, I hope class 2 will be when I get back
it's most likely going to be this sunday if all goes well with planning it. ;-; however, the log will still be posted, same for the first class. and we'll still have more classes in the future for you to participate in.

thanks everyone for signing up! i'll see if the tutors are ready to start the one-on-one tutoring.

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2012
it's most likely going to be this sunday if all goes well with planning it. ;-; however, the log will still be posted, same for the first class. and we'll still have more classes in the future for you to participate in.

thanks everyone for signing up! i'll see if the tutors are ready to start the one-on-one tutoring.

Alright thanks! I'll be gone sunday :3 so it's good to know I won't miss anything.

TheCondor

Noblesse oblige
Years
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TheCondor
Timezone: Central GMT-6
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: I've have a bit of experience playing Pokemon on a competitive level. I have general knowledge of the importance of IVs, EVs, items, etc. However what I'd like to improve on is my actual team building and battle skills, such as providing better synergy with my team and getting to know plays and strategies I should apply again certain team builds.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: I normally wake up around 10 ~ 11 AM Central Time, and I normally take 2 hours to work on my writing and work out. Although anytime in between is when I'm open.

I've been love with the competitive Pokemon scene, and it's really been the only other meta game I've been interested in. I'm glad this tutoring program is up and running, and hope the tutors don't crash from all the applications. Anyways, hope I'm not too late.

Tsvet

A wild trainer appears~
Years
No new post and the first did not got edited, just want to confirm two things:
Is the log of the first class lost forever? :B
Will we have the second class tomorrow and at what time?

Khreep

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
It's been over a month since this program was first brought public and there still has yet to be any tutoring. Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys have to do a lot better than this if you want the program to be successful. How can you expect to generate interest if there's no consistent sense of organization or direction? This failure represents the current stagnant era of the battle stadium. Don't turn this into a "Strategies and Mechanics" redux. Step your game up -- please.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
It's been over a month since this program was first brought public and there still has yet to be any tutoring. Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys have to do a lot better than this if you want the program to be successful. How can you expect to generate interest if there's no consistent sense of organization or direction? This failure represents the current stagnant era of the battle stadium. Don't turn this into a "Strategies and Mechanics" redux. Step your game up -- please.

To be honest, I'm a tutor and I completely agree with this. :x I don't know what happened with the others, but I've asked if they wanted to plan the class (the one that was supposed to happen this past sunday) but I blatantly got ignored by everyone. I asked again on Sunday, only to be ignored again. Perhaps I should organize it. :/ But I definitely wouldn't be able to do it alone.

Also, I'm confused as to what everyone is signing up for. If we have 7 pages of student sign-ups, and all these people expect 1on1 service, I'm afraid we will quite literally never get through the entire list. Classes require no sign-ups you guys. You just show up. xD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Aero and I will get onto things tomorrow. This isn't going to die.

Khreep

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
To be honest, I'm a tutor and I completely agree with this. :x I don't know what happened with the others, but I've asked if they wanted to plan the class (the one that was supposed to happen this past sunday) but I blatantly got ignored by everyone. I asked again on Sunday, only to be ignored again. Perhaps I should organize it. :/ But I definitely wouldn't be able to do it alone.

Also, I'm confused as to what everyone is signing up for. If we have 7 pages of student sign-ups, and all these people expect 1on1 service, I'm afraid we will quite literally never get through the entire list. Classes require no sign-ups you guys. You just show up. xD

I hate to hijack this thread, but this topic is relevant anyways.

1) I am willing to help you organize the events and try my hand at networking/advertising to get people involved in this and in the CBC at large. I have some pretty great contacts but it depends on their availability and willingness.

2) I'm also one of those who applied for assistance but I really only need to work on teambuilding (lol... "only"). When I use pretty solid teams I can handle myself. Prediction and thought process is more of a practice and common sense thing than anything else. My point is I am also willing to get involved in the teaching part of the classes (if you were to organize your own version of this) if you or some other credible tutor could help me get through this. My teambuilding gets bogged down by overthinking and I need to fix that. Could possibly be solved in even one session then I'd be good to go as a tutor.

3) We should maybe continue this discussion through a PM if need be.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I haven't had any time to bother with this at all. I am trying to get around to revamping the T&E and In-Game rules, along with preparing clans because apparently I need to get them done as fast as possible. I also had to get both Get-Together tournaments set up in the process, while helping a few users with their projects and then making sure I participate in PC's diplomacy game properly. Not to mention that there's a lot going on in my life currently which severely limits my time on PC. I wasn't able to come on Sunday due to unexpected events, so the second class couldn't have happened regardless if we did plan it. All of this at once didn't give me much chances to plan the second class. However, now that I have some things out of the way, I am sure the second class will be up and running next Sunday. I will get someone to co-host it so that if something like before doesn't happen again, I won't have to cancel it just because I wasn't able to attend it. Again, I apologize for all this, I took on too many things and overworked myself.

As for one-on-one tutoring, I am still waiting on the tutors to prepare for it, like I said before. Apparently, Vrai and Aero mentioned that they're setting up an outline for teaching. Vrai agreed to delay the one-on-one tutoring until they finish. I haven't received any word about it at all, but I was going to bug them about it again soon.

But anyway, I am not giving up on this or going to let this die since I know how much we've worked on to get this far. I never did give up on it.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I was urged to post my views on what went wrong the first time around and what I think we should do to fix it for the second program. In order to get it out in the open.

First off, the fact that a log wasn't posted the day of the tutoring ending (it should have been up within an hour to be honest, and I know more than one person was saving it iirc) really says a lot about how lazy we are. I thought we were trying to make a difference in CBC and get our act together. Do we even HAVE the log anymore? In which case, I kind of suggest we redo the first class, but with the organization it deserves, which brings me to my next issue.

Chaos. That's all I got from the server that day. So much chaos that I had to leave (mostly out of rage). When I tried to describe clauses and tiers, I was constantly sniped, told extra bits of info that were unneccessary (thus extending the time it took to complete). I just want the other tutors to realize "I do, in fact, play competitive pokemon, and have been for around 2 and half years. I know what clauses and tiers are thank you very much." Now, I was told I could discuss these two topics. It wasn't a hard task, but it seemed other tutors wanted to chip in and say the same stuff I was saying or was going to say. This caused a lot of confusion for the students, as I had received multiple messages from users (possibly because I was sitting at the top of the user list with a great ball next to my name) begging me to tell other tutors to shush because it was confusing to follow 10+ people saying little bits of info on one topic in no particular order.

That's the other thing. We have to assign people to certain topics. ONLY THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SPEAK DURING THAT SECTION. If that particular tutor left out a bit of info that another tutor feels is important, they can say what they wanted to say at the END of the section. Questions should be asked in the main chat as well, as that "Questions" channel was a failure anyway because nobody used it. I'm unsure as to how the questions should be handled though...If they wait until the end, it's not much of a class (As Anti told me in the PO chat), and if they happen in the main chat at random, it could slow us down severely.

Well anyway, I had other issues, like being told in the Staff Chat on PO that the tutoring was going just find and wasn't "that bad". I think the fact that the event itself gave me a headache says enough of how bad it was in the area of organization. I know it's a lot of information to throw at people who've never competitively battled before, and now that we know what we had planned for the initial class was too much, perhaps we could divide the introduction up into two or three parts and try again? I'd hate to restart the program with basics, but I can't imagine students got much out of the initial class.

I also disliked how we didn't plan at all, and just went ahead and winged it (wung it? Idk). We were supposed to plan a week in advance afaik, and we didn't, then we were going to plan the day of the tutoring before it actually started, but didn't. So I'm just hoping this next time around can be planned out a lot better and function more smoothly. That's what Vrai and I plan to figure out.

EDIT: What a lovely way to celebrate my 1.6K post.

EDIT2: ALSO, Khreep had a good idea, an RSVP sent to everyone who signed up, although I'd want to say, in this RSVP, we should state that the sign-up was strictly for the one-on-one tutoring, and not for classes (which only require you to show up on the PO server at the proper time). I can't imagine that there aren't a few people (and by a few, I mean 90%) who signed up and didn't read the first post to see that it's for 1 on 1 only.

Last edited:
Years
New Suggestion SMASH:

While I know 1 on 1 has failed in the past, what if we did it in a more casual way. basically we have a list of approved tutors, all year round and then a sticky for students to apply for tutoring. If a tutor is free and their timezone matches an applicant's, then they are paired and the applicant is tutored for 1-2 months. Firstly, each application for tutoring would need to be improved, by that I mean we wouldn't let people be tutored if they're just in it to "beat their brother's Charizard" or something of that nature, while it's somewhat elitist, I think that only applicants who show a true interest in battling and improving ought to be accepted, since our main goal is to cultivate new regulars out of this and build on the CBC Community and a regular would be easier to mold out of someone who already has stepped in the battling world a bit and now wants to get better and make battling part of their PC person, not some random who will probably never pop up again.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
First off, the fact that a log wasn't posted the day of the tutoring ending (it should have been up within an hour to be honest, and I know more than one person was saving it iirc) really says a lot about how lazy we are. I thought we were trying to make a difference in CBC and get our act together. Do we even HAVE the log anymore? In which case, I kind of suggest we redo the first class, but with the organization it deserves, which brings me to my next issue.
Vrai and I have the log, I still need to filter out some things in it and organize it some, and also decide what to keep and what not to due to the first class being so untidy. It's understandable that it was a mess, because it was the first class and somewhat of a test to see how the future classes should be. We didn't realize all of that would happen when planning, but it did. Move on and correct past mistakes.

Chaos. That's all I got from the server that day.
Second class is going to have one user lead each subject (and that is going to be announced days before the class even starts). No one will be allowed to interrupt the "leaders" unless they have something important to say (that the leader forgot to). The server is going to be silenced during a subject, and at the end it will be removed for questioning, and then re-added for the next subject.

Questions should be asked in the main chat as well, as that "Questions" channel was a failure anyway because nobody used it.
It was used plenty. The issue with it was that it distracted students from the actual class and users spent time chatting there.

I'm unsure as to how the questions should be handled though...If they wait until the end, it's not much of a class (As Anti told me in the PO chat), and if they happen in the main chat at random, it could slow us down severely.
Only option in my opinion is having the schedule like this:

--- 1 Subject
-- 1 Subject Questions
--- 2 Subject
-- 2 Subject Questions

And so on. We don't want to answer thousands of questions at the very end, it should be separated. Having them at the end of each subject allows the students to understand it before we move on to something else. Future subjects could require the student to know the subject before, and having questions at the end would mean they would only understand until the very end of the class.

I know it's a lot of information to throw at people who've never competitively battled before, and now that we know what we had planned for the initial class was too much, perhaps we could divide the introduction up into two or three parts and try again? I'd hate to restart the program with basics, but I can't imagine students got much out of the initial class.
I am thinking of revamping the "Introduction to Competitive Battling" sticky thread so that it covers all the basics. The basics are easy enough to understand in a guide, and it doesn't require an actual class. It would take about 3 classes (maybe more for a thorough class) just to complete all of the basics...that would be way too much. I am going to redo the team building basics again, that was rushed.

I also disliked how we didn't plan at all, and just went ahead and winged it (wung it? Idk).
Again, learn from our mistakes. Of course we are going to plan it early, if we don't the same problems are going to occur. After the first class, we know what to iron out and what to keep.

ALSO, Khreep had a good idea, an RSVP sent to everyone who signed up, although I'd want to say, in this RSVP, we should state that the sign-up was strictly for the one-on-one tutoring, and not for classes (which only require you to show up on the PO server at the proper time). I can't imagine that there aren't a few people (and by a few, I mean 90%) who signed up and didn't read the first post to see that it's for 1 on 1 only.
Already am. I am not sending private messages to every single user that signed up though, only the users that are next in line for one-on-one tutoring. (So, the 8 members that posted first.) Half of the users that have signed up should know that it's only for one-on-one tutoring because of my red text warning (I put that in the first post half way during the sign ups to clear some confusion).

Even though you already started asking everyone, I would like to have a say in it before you do anything.

New Suggestion SMASH:

While I know 1 on 1 has failed in the past, what if we did it in a more casual way. basically we have a list of approved tutors, all year round and then a sticky for students to apply for tutoring. If a tutor is free and their timezone matches an applicant's, then they are paired and the applicant is tutored for 1-2 months. Firstly, each application for tutoring would need to be improved, by that I mean we wouldn't let people be tutored if they're just in it to "beat their brother's Charizard" or something of that nature, while it's somewhat elitist, I think that only applicants who show a true interest in battling and improving ought to be accepted, since our main goal is to cultivate new regulars out of this and build on the CBC Community and a regular would be easier to mold out of someone who already has stepped in the battling world a bit and now wants to get better and make battling part of their PC person, not some random who will probably never pop up again.
Isn't that what we are already doing? I am flirting with the idea of having a separate thread for one-on-one tutoring (or just for sign ups) though.

Also, I would prefer discussing this on the server channel like in the past rather than cluttering the main thread with this.

Tsvet

A wild trainer appears~
Years
Second class is going to have one user lead each subject (and that is going to be announced days before the class even starts). No one will be allowed to interrupt the "leaders" unless they have something important to say (that the leader forgot to). The server is going to be silenced during a subject, and at the end it will be removed for questioning, and then re-added for the next subject.

Just to add something to that:
Even if the active "teacher" seems to forgot something and another teacher noticed, would not be better if instead of saying it openly, just PVT him?

Then you can avoid some scenarios, like if the active teacher didn't forget, but actually is waiting for a better time to say it and you go there and break his rhythm.

That would suck. |:

Years
This is exactly what I need
Signing Up for Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Reddragonsilver
Timezone: EST (eastern standard time

What do you feel you need to work on the most?
-From team building on(though a review of everything would be best

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?
-I'm free all summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back