• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon Pinball Gen 2 [Help Wanted]

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Pokémon Pinball Gen 2 [Help Wanted]

Hi everybody. I'm working on a ROM hacking project to create a Gen 2 version of the original Pokémon Pinball game for the GameBoy Color. This means that lots of graphics have to be created for the gen 2 pokemon! I'm making decent progress, but there is a long way to go. I'm also not the most talented artist, so help would be welcomed. Completed images are shows below.

There are two categories of art that need to be made:
1. Mugshots
2. Animated sprites

If you aren't familiar with Pokemon Pinball, the definition of these two categories are as follows.

Mugshots:
48x32 pixel image that is shown when you're catching or evolving a pokemon. Each 8x8 tile in the mugshot can be assigned one of two total palettes.

Animated sprites:
Only non-evolved pokemon have animated sprites. 3 frames of 32x32 pixel image. Again, each 8x8 tile can be assigned one of two palettes.

Completed Pokémon

#152 Chikorita
ZIhbGce.png
bo1VSeH.png
DFq51yp.png

ZCgaWZ7.png
am8g9xa.png
6jygKPW.gif

#153 Bayleef
750IGXN.png
VHx8Ehk.png
q76KlQH.png

#154 Meganium
OiEvyum.png
lWT4V52.png
TtR7elt.png

#155 Cyndaquil
7ni1HIS.png
zZ4r0tu.png
yCJ84dW.png

#156 Quilava (Not proud of this one...)
YoqT68x.png
QSywztD.png
lK2Q6OJ.png

#157 Typhlosion
nRD0oAa.png
y3ndPwN.png
juz2Vug.png

#158 Totodile
aKzlYxU.png
EorMXyo.png
amIobYM.png

#159 Croconaw
rfAziuG.png
kFIwiLL.png
Xh2OhRA.png

#160 Feraligatr
voWik8f.png
7eqoMR6.png
B186A6y.png

#161 Sentret
1rMgh2M.png
dV0FRh3.png
Cf0pHeu.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
You still working on this? I'd like to take a shot ;)
Will edit later with results.

I haven't been actively working on it recently, but I'll be working on it here and there over the coming months. Feel free to contribute!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh hey welcome back man. :) Good luck on your project, nice to see this thing hasn't crashed for good.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Oh hey welcome back man. :) Good luck on your project, nice to see this thing hasn't crashed for good.
Thanks!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50773238/PinballGS/cynda.png

Sprites took me awhile to figure out with the palette limitations, so I'll be mostly doing mugs first. Devamps from Pinball RS when possible, others will be based on Gen2 artwork. Sprites are custom of course.

Cool, I especially like your Cyndaquil mini sprites. I haven't had the chance to verify your palettes, yet, so they might be fine. The important thing is that every 8x8 tile in the image can only have 4 colors, and there can only be 2 total sets of 4 colors.

One thing that I've done a bad job with in the sprites I made is using white to add highlights, and yours have the same style problem. If you take a look at the official game's sprites, they tend to use lots of white. (https://github.com/pret/pokepinball/tree/master/gfx/billboard/mon_pics)

Anyway, looking forward to more stuff from you!

Back