• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
EDIT: *Watches tumbleweed roll by* So...should I be keeping the Corpse to a certain rating? I'm trying to stay PG-13 but I'm wondering if I should tone it down some. I have a taste for dark elements.
Seeing as the story is inherently dead and gruesome due to its plot structure, I don't see any reason why it should be too kid-friendly.

I'd say the important thing now would be to just finish it. Like I said earlier, Deus ex Machinas are the way to go for bringing about speedy conclusions! :D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
And, hang on, why is it seven pages? Didn't Jax say something about 1 page in Times New Roman 12 font?

*nods* For everyone except the last person in line, who has to finish the story no matter what. (Otherwise, the story doesn't have an ending, which would be funny in the spirit of the game, but...)

As for the rating, I'd say bump it up if you'd like. XD Hell if I could write a children's story anyway. And the events that led up to that line I gave you? Yeah, not exactly kid-friendly.

Answering my own question later.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Which of your characters are you the most attached to? What's the story behind their creation?

My Top Three (Four in the future) -

Diamond: I really favor Diamond in case you guys haven't noticed. In a way, Diamond's personality is similar to mines, except he's more carefree. At first, I was going to make Diamond really emotional and peppy, but then I changed my mind and decided to make him more like me: laid back and aplomb. I noticed there were too many excited protagonists and we were in need of a calm, collective, and knowledgeable hero.

Candice/Pluto: At first I wasn't going to include Neo Team Rocket in my fic, but I decided to do so once I learned about Dialga when Diamond and Pearl came out. I slightly used traits from the RSE manga to help me in my fic. Seeing as how NTR favored Ice Pokemon, I thought that Candice (Pluto) should be the leader of NTR in place of Mask of Ice. I also decided to make her blind, but that's another story/subplot.

Cyrus: I really fell in love with Cyrus's personality in the games, so I decided to turn up a few notches and make him ruthless and uncaring. Also wanted to describe Cyrus's characteristics to that of a mad scientists with a bony to make him look famished, despite the fact he has a fit body.

Volkner (eventually): I'm really prepping up on Volkner once I introduce him into the fic. Right now I'm debating on personalities for him and I think I've found the one that fits him perfectly. So, that's all I'm gonna inform about :).

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I just completely Deus Ex Machina'd it. Oh lord. There's an awesome seven-page build-up, too. And it makes sense, which is ridiculous. Re-routing to DL...now.

I actually really didn't pass the PG mark. I was going to, but I decided to end it before I got crazy.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Damn. Now, I can't read that phrase without thinking of my own fic. XD I think I've been working on this thing for a bit too long.

Anyway, in the spirit of WTFery, deus ex is good. *thumbs up* Glad to hear it's finished, and I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Also, because I said I'd answer my own question...

Which of your characters are you the most attached to? What's the story behind their creation?

Viola DiAngelo
Viola began as a character for an RPG a long, long time ago. She originally started off as Senritsu Hiruma, a sarcastic, punkish kind of character (based in terms of appearance on Dita from Chobits) who began with a Gastly at a late age. Realizing the game was actually kinda defunct, I ported Sen over to a game of my own, taking place in the distant future in an area vaguely like Verona City. (I think it was actually Goldenrod at that time.) The game didn't last too long, but the dark-haired, socially inept character followed me to other games, including the RPG version of Midsummer Knights, where she got a name change and a wardrobe revamp to become a snarky version of the current Viola.

By the time I was ready to write the story, I found I needed a naive personality, not so much a snarky one. So, part of her personality I based on the character Kurorat Jio Clocks, from the manga Dream Gold (what the rest of the story is inspired by). In fact, the references to Viola's shifts in personality (and eye color) are actually nods to the manga. The rest of her personality is basically what I'd do in those situations.

In all, this basically means that Viola is my oldest OC, even if it's a distant relationship.

Cesario
I needed a villain early in Midsummer Knights. Lots of them, actually. So, I cooked up some of every stereotype I could. For example, Orsino was the narcissist. Rosaline too, but she was also the brat. Olivia was the mentally unhinged. Tybalt was the one who would easily fly off the handle and kick your ass for looking at him funny.

And Cesario? Cesario was the wild card. The kind who really only cared about himself. At first, I just designed a stereotypical snarky minion to the man I was making be the real villain (Orsino), but the more I played with Cesario's character, the more he took on something else. I designed Cesario to be sly and unpredictable but loyal once he made his decisions (although he'd never let someone know for certain which side he's playing for). For that reason, he inadvertently turned into a sort of anti-hero. The kind of character who, yes, is enticed by money but knows his principles.

In fact, I'm really not sure where Cesario came from. He just sort of came out.

Mercury Prince
Based entirely on the kinds of friends I have. I know people who are reasonable, and then I know people who are loud-mouthed and sick minded, the kind who want to buy a ton of booze and do stupid things but would, if necessary, gather her friends and beat the crap out of people who tried to mess with "one of hers." I wanted to give a friend like her to Viola, partly because Sebastian's a bit of a jerk to write about at times and partly because Viola just needed a push into the outdoors -- someone to show her the people outside aren't so bad after all.

I really wish I could've done more with her because she really is an amusing character if you leave her alone (with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern), but she did have to die.

Professor Yvonne Nettle
A character that will soon be introduced in my other fic. Originally, she started off as a cross between the stereotypical villainous jerk (because, for one reason or another, I like playing with archetypes) and a professor I had once. Anal, serious, and pissed at the world -- or, rather, men. (I go to a women's college, so yes, there are plenty of those feminazi types lurking around here.) However, by the second chapter, she gained a bit more to her character -- calculating, clever, and strong-willed but not at all as power-hungry as she seemed. I really can't say too much without giving away an important plot point before the plot actually starts, but I can say she's actually turned out to be rather fun to write simply because she's the sort of character who never lets everyone know everything there is to know about herself. Like Cesario, I really don't know how I ended up writing her like that (although I guess The World Ends With You is partly to blame here).

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Whoa, this place is...quiet. Too quiet...

Well I'm one step closer to the opening of TFC here since I just posted chapter 28 over at Serebii. One more chapter and I'll begin the rewrite, which I already have the prologue and first chapter of ready. Unfortunately there's no new news on the TRINITY front, but...ya can't have everything.

Where else do you post your fics in an attempt to take over the world with it?
Serebii of course, and that's about it. I used to post on ff.net but stopped due to a general lack of readership and pain in having to reformat some things. Those stats they have are evil and depressing... I also posted like three chapters of TFC on DA but stopped due to an even more depressing lack of readership. And, again, I used to post on Bulbagarden but stopped because I suddenly realized I didn't like those forums very much, and so jumped ship.

Has inspiration ever stuck you so hard, that there is simply not enough time in the day?
When inspiration strikes me, it's usually not even for the current chapter and is for stuff way further along in the fic. When something does strike me about what I'm writing at the moment, then I'm generally too lazy to actually act on it and just note it down for latter.

Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain it?
Not really. In TFC, the Pokémon obey the main trio for various reasons: Zethro is loyal and looks up to Shrike since he saved his life, Jehiel admires Shrike and considers him his master, and Shrike again saved Ramiel's life as well and so Ramiel sees Shrike like a father. Matariel and Rayne have a far closer bond, Matariel protecting Rayne ever since she was a child. I can't explain why right now due to spoilers, but there is a reason Matariel came to Rayne in the first place. Lastly, just as with Shrike, Aira saved Fury's life and the two looked out for each other when they lived on the streets.

...I like the whole saving a Pokémon's life thing. I know it's cliché, but with all the **** that goes on in TFC it does make more sense than in a standard trainer fic where the threat to a Pokémon comes from some random other Pokémon or something. The only case of that is with Aira and Fury, but she wasn't even a trainer then and didn't become one until later.

As for why other Pokémon obey their trainers? I guess it varies depending on the Pokémon, ranging from simply being loyal and friends with the trainer, to just wanting more power. Not all Pokémon necessarily like their trainers but will still obey them anyways, which I poke fun at with a literal Ash wannabe and his Pikachu in some early chapters. I imagine even others will simply not obey at all, it just depends on the individual Pokémon.

Hmm, it's hard for me to narrow it down, so here're all of my top favorites:
Shrike: Naturally he has to be included, since he was the very first truly original character I created, all the ones before him having been direct clones of me and my real life friends. Shrike of course does have some similarities to me, mostly in his hobbies, but those are pretty much intentional.

Rayne: And again, she's pretty expected being my second OC. Just as Shrike inherits some traits from me, Rayne inherits some extremely exaggerated traits from my sister, since she's an evolution of the character I used to have based off my sister. The similarities are very minor though, as I've never seen my sister go around combining gunplay with magic. It's pretty much her fighting style that is what makes me like her so much now, but I'm working to add more to her with the rewrite and flesh out her character.

Zack: A character who I didn't even know what I wanted to do with at first, now I've ended up giving him one of the most depressing backstories of any of my characters. He ended up losing his closest friends and there was nothing he could do to stop it, and it really comes through that they're what he's fighting for later on. He's also a big source of humor in his first appearance before that happened.

Jehiel: Shrike's first capture and second Pokémon, Jehiel is simply insane. Literally. He's a bloodthirsty, maniacal Zigzagoon with delusions of grandeur and a desire to kill anyone who so much as looks at his master the wrong way. Not like he could actually hurt a human very much. Whenever he's around there's sure to be some dark humor, and I just love writing it.

Xylus: Ah, arguably the most badass villain of TFC. At first he may look like little more than a Sephiroth rip-off with his katana and silver hair, but as he begins taking an interest in Rayne and her developing powers it starts to become apparent that there's more to him. Regardless, he's the most powerful villain who isn't the main antagonist and really sets that in stone the first few times you see him fight, and thus gets on here if only because he's badass. Plus, the Pokémon he teams up with is a Luxray, and Luxrays are awesome. So yeah.

Tashima: Moving onto TRINITY here, Tashima is a relatively new character but I'm loving him so far. In some ways he's similar to Shrike, but I've been working on making them two separate characters, and that is very evident in their ideals. Shrike fights selflessly for others, Tashima fights for others as well but only so long as he has some sort of personal gain out of it. His past is tragic, although perhaps not as much so as some of my TFC characters, and you just have to love the relationship between him and Havoc.

Which brings me to...Havoc: As the most important Pokémon to appear in TRINITY, I'm working hard to show how Pokémon live along with humans and have even started to inherit some of their traits with Havoc. It can seem at times that he's a completely normal human, but then he speaks his natural voice, walks on all fours, or uses his fire and you suddenly remember that he's actually just a Pokémon trying to fit in with humans. Prejudice against Pokémon will be one major thing I want to bring up in TRINITY, so there's no doubt that Havoc will end up having to bear the brunt of it, which really makes you feel sorry for him. And then, as I said with Tashima, there's the relationship with the two which I really want to focus on.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Apologies for being a rather quiet mod.

Alas, I have a slight problem. I'm writing a fanfic in a series where the main character is often represented as a dragon, or dragons are an important part of his life in canon.

So what I'm hoping is that someone out there knows what the literary symbolism is behind a dragon. Google search only talks about Chinese dragons, which isn't what I'm looking for. Either any basic literary symbolism involving dragons, war, armies, saving the world, and also information on whether or not dragons were included in any way in the Mormon religion.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Dragons? You've come to the right place.

Dragons are commonly symbolic of some type of evil or satanic force in certain religions, including but not limited to Christianity, while in other religions or legends they are depicted as wise, benevolent creatures, as is the case primarily with Asian culture.

They are usually extremely powerful both physically and spiritually/magically, although different iterations usually have distinct abilities. European dragons are most times capable of flight and breathing fire, which is an image that I would say many people here would be accustomed to. Asian dragons, such as the Chinese Lung, are rumored to live for thousands of years, can fly by writhing their snake-like bodies, and often hold a glowing orb that symbolizes magic. They are also highly intelligent, oftentimes even more so than humans.

As for war, there is an epic battle in the Biblical book of Revelations between the angel Michael and Satan, who has taken the form of a dragon. There are "dragon styles" in martial arts, which focus on power and/or evasion and illusion. As far as Mormon literature goes, though, I'm not very versed.

If you need any more specific info, hit me up. I've been captivated by these things for most of my life.

Last edited:

DGexe

Taunter
Years
Pardona MEH, but may I join in on the question-answer bandwagon... ?

Lauren (AU-IV/V): Digressing for a second, I have many versions of this character... AU-IV/V are my overall Pokemon ones. MOVING ON... Aside from the fact that I'm very attatched to this character and all her various incarnations over all, I'm particularly attached to this one's overall history, instead of herself in general. She ended up being my tool/experiment for two concepts for plots: Poke-Bonding (I have a section on it in the Pokemon rp board, if you want to look) and later on Angels of Arceus (which centers around the idea of humans becoming subordinates to the Pokegods so they can atone for a huge, major sin). It's been... a fun experiment, and it's been sculpting her and her team out as characters well...

Lord Arthur Wilkinson: This is actually an avatar of Arceus-- that's a fact I have no fear of sharing, as my last fanfic work with him died off before I could post it anywhere. I'm not entirely sure why or how I came up with him; I believe his design simply came to mind one day, and I worked from there... Anyway, I like this character for his... eccentricities? He's portrays himself as a laid back, womanizing millionare who drives fancy cars and annoys his angelic subordinates to no end-- totally not how one may picture the Original One... which is kind of the point. He likes to wear suits and bowler hats and drinks out of a tipper-cane (hidden compartment cane... thing). He's just... totally different from the PokeGod he truely is, and I kind of like him for that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
txteclipse, thank you so much. With what I know about that canon character, I can see why he's represented with a dragon. And now that you mentioned the story about Michael and Satan, I have some research to do for my fic, since it deals with angels, war, and all that fun stuff that you mentioned.

Thank you!

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
...Right. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, seeing as this is the FANfiction Lounge, but...

I'm trying to write a short story. Fantasy. It's about a troupe of "dragon-slayer" types who pass through a village on their way to kill a monster. And there's this kid. And his sister convinces him to join her in following these hunters to wherever they're going...it has a plot, I've figured it out, the one thing I can't decide on is the kid's name.

It needs to be monosyllabic. It needs to be VERY fitting. He is short, thin, and in all respects a runt. He is extremely timid. His older sister's name (or nickname, I write it so that there's room for speculation) is Fox, which pretty much gives you an idea of her character up front. All of the characters have simple names like that; not necessarily animals, but always something simple and fitting.

Any help...?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
...Right. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, seeing as this is the FANfiction Lounge, but...

I'm trying to write a short story. Fantasy. It's about a troupe of "dragon-slayer" types who pass through a village on their way to kill a monster. And there's this kid. And his sister convinces him to join her in following these hunters to wherever they're going...it has a plot, I've figured it out, the one thing I can't decide on is the kid's name.

It needs to be monosyllabic. It needs to be VERY fitting. He is short, thin, and in all respects a runt. He is extremely timid. His older sister's name (or nickname, I write it so that there's room for speculation) is Fox, which pretty much gives you an idea of her character up front. All of the characters have simple names like that; not necessarily animals, but always something simple and fitting.

Any help...?

Mouse?

(Also, should I find it at all amusing that Other Writing's FFL is kinda dead? XD)

txteclipse

The Last
Years
txteclipse, thank you so much. With what I know about that canon character, I can see why he's represented with a dragon. And now that you mentioned the story about Michael and Satan, I have some research to do for my fic, since it deals with angels, war, and all that fun stuff that you mentioned.

Thank you!

Of course! Doesn't do me much good to know about dragons if I can't apply my knowledge. ;)

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Mouse?

(Also, should I find it at all amusing that Other Writing's FFL is kinda dead? XD)

Ironically, that's the one I was hovering over before posting here. If nothing strikes me as "ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!", I think I'll end up calling him Mouse.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Ironically, that's the one I was hovering over before posting here. If nothing strikes me as "ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!", I think I'll end up calling him Mouse.

Isn't that the name of the main character from the film Ladyhawke?

*checks*

Yep, and played by Matthew Broderick, no less. 0.o

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years

Thank you!

I totally know what character you're talking about. XD

By the way, is it just my memory playing tricks or didn't a certain number of characters connected to said character use a Chinese dragon to send a message out? In a certain book series spun off from the original series? Involving a certain character whose name rhymes with "Spleen"? I dunno if that's supposed to be the interpretation of said character, but I'm not quite sure I can see paralells between him and Satan...

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back