• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
I think having more than one shiny on a team is tacky (I never use this word, but it's the one that best describes my feelings for this practice)

The fact that physical attackers are so easily crippled is unfair

Mewtwo is stronger than arceus even without mega evolving

The ???

The one true question mark
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
- Pikachu is VERY overrated.
- I don't see why Lucario is so famous too..he's just an average.
- I think Jhoto region is extremely retarded. All pokemons looks like they have been using meth for a long time. (except legendaries)
- I think using Legendaries in battles is fine, we worked hard to catch them.
- The only CHAMPION I truly believe is worthy of being called a CHAMPION is Cynthia
- for starters.. FIRE TYPE MASTER RACE!
- Arceus > Mewtwo or its megas
- Dragonite looks like a baby's doll. GARCHOMP ftw.
- Defensive pokemons suck, Offensive pokemons ftw
- Scyther > Scizzor

THat's all I can think of right now..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Coming from someone who has been in the MLP:FiM fandom for 2 years, I have to severely disagree. If you focus on the vocal minority of any fandom, it honestly makes you look closed-minded and unwilling to try new things. And trust me when I say this - I once joined a family-friendly MLP forum, and even if I see the fellow "creep" here and there, many of these "creeps" are very friendly and can tell the difference between fantasy and reality. I know that because I'm friends with two.
So you're part of the fanbase, but not of the fandom. Well, maybe I wasn't clear enough and for that I apologize. The fanbase are people who just like what they're fan of and the fandom are people who like it a little bit too much, meaning they take it a little bit too serous (e.g. marriage).
For example I know a couple people who are fan of mlp and I don't have a problem with that; heck I even watched the first season of the most recent series myself and it wasn't bad. It's just not my cup of tea. Still I'm alright with people being fan of something, I'm probably too much of a fan of Pokemon myself, which is why I like analyzing it to the max, for example.

But of couse: with that kind of definition I've been using it's not really an unpopular opinion; it's considered unpopular, because people just don't understand what I'm saying. ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 24, 2019
- the Pokemon Fandom is at least as creepy as the MPL and Sonic Fandom

It is true that if you browse deviantart, there are as much if not more creepy, poorly drawn Pokemon fetish art than MLP and Sonic, but keep in mind that Pokemon has a much bigger fanbase than the other two. I know quite a few sane Pokemon fans IRL, can't say the same about Sonic and MLP fans I've known of.

Years
Here's my little list.

*Mega-Evolutions were a bad idea. Maybe it's just my Digimon bias, idk, but it just really irritates me for some reason.

*Umbreon does not deserve it's popularity, as others have said. The design is subpar in my opinion.

*Fennekin I feel like was a hugely overrated XY starter from the getgo. I'm vastly disappointed in it as a fox starter, because I would have been excited for a fox starter...had it not been fennekin.

*May really isn't a character I'm a huge fan of.

*New Pokemon are not lacking originality or unique design. Older pokemon were just as simple, and not-unique.

Izarinoi:Akira

Master of Iron
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2015
  • The presence of the Normal and Dragon types and the absence of a Wind type is quite unsettling to me; the Normal type seems almost totally pointless and things like Fighting type moves hitting Normal type Pokémon more strongly than a plain Water type, for example, seem crazy to me! And the Dragon type seems to be arbitrary applied, why is Altaria a Dragon type but not Charizard (barring Mega Charizard X) nor Gyarados? Also, wind based moves make no sense as Flying type to me, there's a big difference between using flight to carry out attacks as in Brave Bird and Aerial Ace, and using wind power as in Gust and Hurricane. Rock and Ground are separate types for good reason in my opinion, and similarly, I think sand and mud-based moves, Sand Attack and Mud Shot for example, shouldn't be Ground type as they aren't based on movements of the ground, but rather particles ejected from the ground, as is often the case with Rock-type attacks. Also, why does every Pokémon and attack require at least one type? Why not truly type-neutral Pokémon and attacks, instead of the quasi-neutral "Normal" type? I know, I will get flack for this, but this thread is about opinions so I shall post mine here!
  • Does anyone else think it's crazy that Pokémon caught in Pokéballs always obey their original trainer, even with a happiness of zero?
  • Also, player Pokémon level up and learn moves during battle but computer-controlled opponent Pokémon never do this! How weird is that? And with the battle option "Shift", as opposed to "Set" the player can freely switch out a Pokémon immediately after knocking out a computer opponent Pokémon, but they never get a free switch when they knock out the player's Pokémon!
  • Anyone else think Greninja without Protean is underrated?

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
Here's a few of mine (though I think they aren't too unpopular)
-Generation 5 is my favourite generation.
-Garbodor's design is not that bad.
-Diamond and Pearl are the worst Pokemon games. I found them to be really slow paced. I adore Platinum though.
-Arceus was a good concept, though somewhat poorly executed.
-There's not really any Pokemon I genuinely hate, only a few that annoy me (though there are a few exceptions...)
-The ORAS soundtrack was a bit disappointing.
-I don't think Charizard is that overrated.
-The Magikarp evolution line is overrated, and I find Gyarados ugly.
-Rotom-W, Landorus and Dragonite are tied for my least favourite Pokemon.
-The water in Hoenn is what makes it great.
-There needs to be more pure Flying types other than only Tornadus

These probably aren't uncommon, but I just wanted to share what I think.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
This is going to be reeeee~ally interesting.

- the Pokemon Fandom is at least as creepy as the MPL and Sonic Fandom
- people always demand way too much when it comes to a new Pokemon game and then they start complaining about every little thing
- the Gen 2 games had a terrible designed postgame
- the remakes made it a little bit better, but it's still terrible

- X and Y had a relatively good postgame and everybody who keeps complaining is just an idiot
- Mevos were a good story element, but gameplay wise they made the game more unbalanced
- Charizard sucks
- the anime was made for kids, so people don't have a right to complain for the protagonist to not grow up
- the plotline of every main series game is too generic ("beat gym leaders, beat evil team, become champion")
- there has to be at least one main series game that's more like Skyrim
- people who complain about Smogon are stupid; if you don't like playing by their rules, then don't play by their rules. But be adviced that there is a reason why people use their Gentlemen's agreement
- Ferrothorn looks cool and is a good example for Gen 5 Pokemon being nowhere near bad designed
Bolded the ones I agree with (actually only partially agree with the ones about the Gen II postgame, I think it was a good idea with bad execution). Mine:

• Kanto is an awful, bland region with practically no character to it.
  • I'm tired of jokes about how Magikarp/Dunsparce/Stunfisk are god tier beasts that are unnaturally beautiful and can destroy the world in the blink of an eye.
  • Hoenn's water routes aren't really that bad, expecially now that AreaNav exists.
  • Mewtwo isn't that great. And even though Charizard is cool, and one of my all-time favorite Pokemon, I think the attention it gets from the fandom is a bit excessive. Neither of them deserved to have two megas, and the fact that they do is proof that Game Freak has been trying too hard to pander to nostalgic adult fans.
  • Lavender Town, its music, and all related concepts are boring and not creepy at all. The majority of Pokemon creepypastas are really bad and often end up in 2edgy4u territory.
  • Garbodor and Probopass are fun to use and have some really neat designs.
  • There's nothing wrong with cute, "girly" Pokemon, and there's nothing inherently childish about either of those two adjectives. In fact, if you think cuteness or femininity are bad things, you're wrong, end of discussion.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
Years
Chikorita is best starter. It feels so underrated seeing as it's the starter in the game that has a lot of gyms that are strong againstr grass.

Charizard is only an average fire type. This thing can easily be murdered with a stealth rock.

All seasons in the anime are roughly the same quality.

I'm not too big of a fan of Lucario. I just never saw the appeal.

Gen 1 is not the best gen. It's extremely glitchy, the psychic type is extremely unbalanced, dragon and psychic type were only represented by one evolutionary family, and the only dragon move is Dragon Rage which is a fixed damage attack.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Zoroark > Lucario. I never understood what's so great about Luke.
Arceus is a dumb idea of a Pokemon. Mew > Arceus anyday, despite Mew's Green sprite.
Gardevoir is severely overrated. If I want a truly beautiful Pokemon, give me Milotic.
Same goes for Gallade, I think there are cooler Fighting-types out there.
Oshawott is ugly.
Deoxys-S and Genesect shouldn't have been banned.
Brock was stupid.
The original anime was poorly written and uninteresting.
Mega Gengar is the best Uber Pokemon, even after Primal Groudon's arrival.
Teddiursa and the Eeveelutions aren't cute.
Pokemon games are becoming repetitive.
Very annoying fans, especially those from GameFAQs and TopTens.
Dragalge and Tangrowth are awesome.
Milotic > Gyarados.
The Hoenn starters didn't need mega evos.

Last edited:
Years
Okay, here's one of mine.

I think people are exaggerating about the opening tutorials in Generation V and that they make far bigger a deal out of it than they should. They've been in basically every game since RSE, and they're rarely ever any different, so what makes them so jarring to the point people complain about them more than ever here?

And DON'T say "we're just sick of it". For that matter, XY wasn't much better with them. I'm sick of people saying that the tutorials in Generation V are the worst thing in the world, because really I couldn't be less annoyed with it. Okay, that might be stretching it a bit but you get the idea that I don't think it warrants as much hatred as it gets.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Okay, here's one of mine.

I think people are exaggerating about the opening tutorials in Generation V and that they make far bigger a deal out of it than they should. They've been in basically every game since RSE, and they're rarely ever any different, so what makes them so jarring to the point people complain about them more than ever here?

And DON'T say "we're just sick of it". For that matter, XY wasn't much better with them. I'm sick of people saying that the tutorials in Generation V are the worst thing in the world, because really I couldn't be less annoyed with it. Okay, that might be stretching it a bit but you get the idea that I don't think it warrants as much hatred as it gets.
Speaking strictly B/W2, it's really not just tutorials, it's the fact the game practically holds your hand throughout the game. The game starts out with dialog after dialog and when you finally think you're ready for adventure, they hit you with a damn fetch quest.

I honestly stopped playing the game after the bug gym because the pacing was hot garbage and the handholding didn't stop. It felt like as if the game was playing for me, or rather, it's making me play by its own rules rather than mine.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
- Gen V Pokemon designs are some of my favorite in the series, along with III and II.
- Hoenn water routes aren't really that bad and the first half of the game is spent on land and the latter mostly on sea. And the premise is land vs. sea, in the originals anyway. I don't get the problem here.
- I don't like the new 3D models in gen VI. The colors are washed out and I prefer gen V's animated sprites.
- Lucario isn't that great and doesn't need to be a Smash 3D/U character. Its generation is over anyway, so why is it still hanging around?
- Most Mega Evolutions should just be regular evolutions and this shouldn't really be a thing. I do like hunting for the stones, I admit.
- I love getting badly named Pokemon off Wonder Trade and GTS. It's hilarious.
- Petilil is the greatest Pokemon on earth.

Years
Speaking strictly B/W2, it's really not just tutorials, it's the fact the game practically holds your hand throughout the game. The game starts out with dialog after dialog and when you finally think you're ready for adventure, they hit you with a damn fetch quest.

I honestly stopped playing the game after the bug gym because the pacing was hot garbage and the handholding didn't stop. It felt like as if the game was playing for me, or rather, it's making me play by its own rules rather than mine.

Now, while i'm not gonna try to make myself look stupid by saying that B2W2 aren't guilty of this, here's what I am trying to express: it's not the only game in the series this bad with it. Generation VI isn't much better. At all. XY and ORAS were on autopilot always pointing you in the direction of the plot as well, particularly the latter which has points where Brendan/May drags you to your destination (yes, there are a couple points where it's optional but a few where it's without choice).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
-I disagree with most opinions in here
-This topic should be called "IRRELEVANT POKÉMON OPNIONS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT AND ONLY A COUPLE OF THEM ARE GOOD"

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
-Trade evolutions... WHY!?
-The plot is always the same. They should put a little bit of imagination in it, starting with making it longer and more unexpected.
-Too many legendaries (there are more than 50, what will be next, a Legendary that makes muffins?), too many forms, and some of them don't have a characteristic thing to make them different from the rest (e.g. the legendary birds)
-Some types are unbalanced, for example, Dragon has passed from being the strongest to one of the weakest
-The next new thing will be Agumon as a starter ¬¬ Seriously, a Megaevolution: it can be only used in battle but it disappears as soon as it ends or the pokemon is defeated. Strange, but it sounds familiar...
-I liked Emerald, HGSS and Platinum more than their originals. R/S didn't have anything after the League, G/S was very good but lacked something, as did D/P.
-B/W and X/Y were incomplete. Their lack of... well, anyting was even worse than R/S
-Gen I, mainly Red and Blue, is overrated, and this happens with many games (cofFFVIIcof)
-I don't like Charizard, but I had to choose it because there weren't good Fire types ingame. This leads to the lack of variety in some types, for example, Fire or Electric
-In the anime, Ash forgets everything he learned in previous journeys, except the Kanto Journey (the first one). I think that ther should be a new main character, or instead of going with Ash, the story should continue with other of the main ones, like May or Max, and then after a couple season, with one of the friends that journeyed with them. They can be with previous main characters, but not more than a couple episodes.
-Rock types (specially when coupled with another type, like Ground or Water) are too weak, their biggest vulnerability usually OHKOs them

Years
- Lucario is my least favourite Pokémon.
- Hoenn's water Routes are great.
- I'm not really a huge fan of Mega Evolution.
- Torkoal is my favourite Fire-type Pokémon.
- And finally, Gen V is my least favourite Gen by FAR.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
-Umbreon and Espeon are the eeveelution I don't really like.
-..But one of my favorite is Flareon
-I love Samurott and Serperior (in my top starters)
-I love Meganium too!!
-Armaldo is one of my favorite fossil pokemon
-Sinnoh is the region I liked least (the region, not the pokemon!)
-I lOVE Gen5 generation and games!
- I like the mega evolution concept and I would like to see every pokemon with a mega.
-Even if I don't like Pikachu that much, it is a good mascot

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
This needs to be said:

Trumpets should not represent Hoenn.

Unova should be the trumpet region. Like Unova has at least three times more trumpets than Hoenn.

Also Kalos and Unova are the best regions ever, and their games are the best ever too :P

Back