• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cyan [Beta 3 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 16, 2015
@HeroesAndCons: I also like this idea and I think that Crunch mentioned something about it in previous post.
@Dressierd I don't think so. I ground every area to catch all, but there were no Swirlix. :( Maybe you can buy it in egg?

yeah, i thought the same, maybe you can get it via egg, but without bike is annoying as hell to hatch eggs... xD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Hello there!
I've been enjoying this hack a lot, it brings a really nice amount of novelty to the Pokémon Experience.
A few things I'd like to note:
1) Turquiose town? If the name is inspired by the blue/greenish color, it's spelled Turquoise; certainly you can call the town anything you want but my pedant eyes can't help detecting it every time.
2) As for the fonts, it seems the game doesn't assume the characters to have a fixed size, but the old font happened to have all characters with the same width. You could try adding a column of empty space to the left of the thinner characters like 1 and l (lowercase ell).
That'd probably be simpler (and wouldn't look much worse) than trying to find the code that right-aligns the numbers and changing it so that it doesn't just count the number of characters when deciding on the offset for where to start drawing a number - it'd have to check what those characters are so it doesn't move too far left.
Honestly, ensuring all characters have the same width is probably the best way to go around it.
3) Would be really nice if the artist that made sprites like the Twejay also redid Kelprawn.

Lemme start another run without Cyndaquil - I really want to use an Expleetle! :D

DaisukE

Just feel it burning ^^
Years
Looks good....gets boorring somewhat later but overall good game...I think it would be good in future where the main saga starts....
Anyways some suggestions
The player can go to the other town without defeating the gym leader

Use a check flag script for it not allowing the player to go to the next town until the gym leader is beaten

Anyways gold luck in your hack

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Is that a bad thing, though? Sometimes it makes sense to restrict progress, sometimes it's fine to give the player some freedom in the order he can face his challenges.

DaisukE

Just feel it burning ^^
Years
Is that a bad thing, though? Sometimes it makes sense to restrict progress, sometimes it's fine to give the player some freedom in the order he can face his challenges.

Well it basically shows some lack in scripting and the player might not be able to defeat the others without proper levelling up his pokemon......anyways its your thought I don't want to particularly interfere in your thoughts
;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 10, 2015
I cant open the beta 2 file with my vBa, what can i do? the file is in IPS-format and my vBA apparently is not able to open it?

Years
I cant open the beta 2 file with my vBa, what can i do? the file is in IPS-format and my vBA apparently is not able to open it?

You need to patch it onto a FireRed ROM (which you should find yourself via google etc.) using a program like Lunar IPS (which you can also find through google).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 10, 2015
You need to patch it onto a FireRed ROM (which you should find yourself via google etc.) using a program like Lunar IPS (which you can also find through google).
thanks :) How can i find the patch file? i found the program and all but i dont know what to search for to find the patch file i need?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2014
How do I play this? I usually play ROMs and its easy to access but this confuses me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
How do I play this? I usually play ROMs and its easy to access but this confuses me.
Follow this tutorial, it's pretty simple stuff.
Working with patches (IPS and APS files)
It's a very simple task to work with patches, whether they be IPS files (applied to a ROM with Lunar IPS) or APS files (applied to a ROM with A-Ptch). Both APS and IPS files are, essentially, game patches, but for ROMs. They will not work unless you have the original ROM. If you don't have a ROM to patch the game to, you can't play. It's that simple. Also! The PokéCommunity members are NOT allowed to distribute ROMs, so do not ask where to get one.

Assuming you have the original ROM though, here's a simple way to play the ROM with the patch file through the most common emulator for Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games, VisualBoyAdvance. You must first download VisualBoyAdvance from the official website.

1. Place the ROM and IPS file (or APS file) in the same folder.
2. Rename the IPS or APS filename (before the .ips/.aps extension, respectively) to match that of the ROM.
3. Load the ROM up. The game should start working.

The efficiency of using this system is that the ROM is left intact. For a more permanent solution, see the alternate method below.

Working with patches (IPS and APS files) - Alternate method
It's not as quick but somewhat more efficient to do. Working with patches using VisualBoyAdvance is not as destructive as this method - should you wish to retain the original ROM, it is suggested to use VisualBoyAdvance only.

IPS patches such as ipsXP are self-explanatory to use, but these are the general steps you'll need to take. Additionally, the APS patcher, A-Ptch (found in HackMew's Tools Factory,) is a very straightforward tool with an easily-to-understand interface.

1. Load the patch application up.
2. Click the "Apply Patch" (or similar) button.
3. Select the patch file you wish to use and click Open.
4. Select the ROM you wish to apply the patch to.
5. Load the ROM up. It should then work and changes are permanently applyed to the ROM. You may delete the IPS/APS file as it will no longer be needed.

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
Playing the second beta, I must say I really like it so far! The design of the fakemon is in my opinion spot on and I really like the colours in the hack. Looking forward to the next (beta) chapter!

The egg salesman and the burglar challenge, great creative innovations!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I like this game and so far I'm on the 2nd gym, going good.
Though I'm here to report something about the game, especially the Pokedex.

No.177-178: Buizel and Floatzel info are confused, 182: Ambipom
Also for 187-189, 191-192 and 209, about the same as above.

No. 281: Info text are pretty scrambled for Kirlia.

And this; No. 312: Only a line of info for Minun.

I suppose Dex 054 is right, since Swirlix is mentioned in the very beginning of the game so I suppose the next one will be its evolution?
There are some Pokemon that is mentioned two times in the Dex. Umm...new Pokemon for the dupe slot, I guess?
Some Fakemons has incorrect infos. Could be those mons lack of them in the 1st place.

Other than that are the same minor bugs other user encountered as above (grammatical errors, slightly misaligned letter when nicknaming, etc.).

Overall, I still like this game and hoping for Beta 3 to be released.
Sorry if I couldn't post images since I'm still below 15 posts.
EDIT: Another sorry to chrunch if I reveals too much about your Pokedex....
Don't worry about anything past 151. Those are just the leftovers from when I started working on the hack, none of that is going to be in the game. Thanks!
I've finished the beta 2, and so far it has been great. I really have to tip my hat at your level design. It's something not everyone pays enough attention to.

Proud to be let's playing this game before anyone else.
Thanks! It's good to see some people LPing my hack as well, I've watched your first few episodes and it's quite entertaining. :) I'll make sure to watch the rest if I can find the time.
Huge fan of this game!! When are you shooting to finish up this hack? Looking forward to finishing what I started. Lvl 33 luxio; lvl 36 Expleetle; and lvl 35 Meganium
Thanks! I don't have any dates because I'd probably just end up missing them, but don't worry, it won't be too long. ;)
Are you planning to edit music in every routes and cities? So far only the music in the first few cities and routes have been edited.
There will be some more custom music in the later game, but probably not for every city unfortunately. The person that was originally working on it doesn't have the time to anymore.
After leaving the house,a black screen and all.....
Could you be a bit more specific? Have you tried restarting? What ROM version are you using? For these type of bug reports, I need information. I've received no other reports about this. :/
Is Swirlix catchable in beta 2 or will it be added later? If it's already in, where can I find him? thanks in advice :)
Swirlix is not catchable yet. You should be able to catch him in beta 3 though. ;)
Hello there!
I've been enjoying this hack a lot, it brings a really nice amount of novelty to the Pokémon Experience.
A few things I'd like to note:
1) Turquiose town? If the name is inspired by the blue/greenish color, it's spelled Turquoise; certainly you can call the town anything you want but my pedant eyes can't help detecting it every time.
2) As for the fonts, it seems the game doesn't assume the characters to have a fixed size, but the old font happened to have all characters with the same width. You could try adding a column of empty space to the left of the thinner characters like 1 and l (lowercase ell).
That'd probably be simpler (and wouldn't look much worse) than trying to find the code that right-aligns the numbers and changing it so that it doesn't just count the number of characters when deciding on the offset for where to start drawing a number - it'd have to check what those characters are so it doesn't move too far left.
Honestly, ensuring all characters have the same width is probably the best way to go around it.
3) Would be really nice if the artist that made sprites like the Twejay also redid Kelprawn.

Lemme start another run without Cyndaquil - I really want to use an Expleetle! :D
1) Thanks, can't believe I missed that haha. It's been fixed for beta 3. :)
2) If I get some time I'll have a look into the font problem. It's just a small graphical glitch so it's not a top priority for me.
3) Probably not going to happen, personally I think Kelprawn looks fine.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions anyways, I really appreciate these type of posts! :)
Looks good....gets boorring somewhat later but overall good game...I think it would be good in future where the main saga starts....
Anyways some suggestions

Use a check flag script for it not allowing the player to go to the next town until the gym leader is beaten

Anyways gold luck in your hack
Would you mind telling me which town that's in? Because I know the only town I've done anything even remotely like that is in Slate City, and that's entirely intentional. You're meant to defeat the Snowcrest City leader then come back.
Playing the second beta, I must say I really like it so far! The design of the fakemon is in my opinion spot on and I really like the colours in the hack. Looking forward to the next (beta) chapter!

The egg salesman and the burglar challenge, great creative innovations!
Thank you, glad you liked it!

Sorry for the long absence, I haven't been hacking much lately but I'm still working on cyan! :) I don't have much to show today, except for a little preview of another big event involving team rocket:
J59r6OQ.png

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
That moment when I realize that I haven't noticed this hack yet... It's a really impressive project I've got to admit that. Everything looks awesome , the story being set in a tropical archipelago ( reminds me of orange islands , however they didn't appear in any game) , the tiles give a colorful yet tropical feeling to it and the decision based storyline just tops it off. Good luck on it !!! Keep it up ;)

DaisukE

Just feel it burning ^^
Years
Would you mind telling me which town that's in? Because I know the only town I've done anything even remotely like that is in Slate City, and that's entirely intentional. You're meant to defeat the Snowcrest City leader then come back.

Øh I see...looks like I was mistaken^_^......anyways good game....if possible u should add some more side quests till the main saga starts..

One of the best game out there..

Edit:I have a Luxio at lvl42 when it will evolve?normally at LvL 30 it evolves...

Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2014
Beautiful tiles man, and the fakemon sprites are looking very official :3 Loving the idea of decisions and morality paths, pretty difficult to pull off but it could be hella decent if you can manage it, good luck buddy!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Sorry for the long absence, I haven't been hacking much lately but I'm still working on cyan!
I've found few bug:

• Kelprawn hasn't is own avatar in box and party, he looks like Venonat
  • Sealob hasn't is own avatar in box and party, he looks like Venomoth
  • Ruffski hasn't is own avatar in box and party, he looks like Tangela
  • There are two different Beautifly in the game: one is number 16 on the dex, while other's number is ??? (I evolved the second one from a wild Silcoon..)
  • The Pikachu obtained from the in-game trade in Maroon city hasn't a name (he's named /Pikachu)

I also think that adding a wild pokémon list (including those you can obtain from the egg shop) and an evolution list would be really useful.

I love the design of the fakemon, by the way. They're really well done ;)

Last edited:

KeyRogue

No theme for now...
Years
I've found few bug:

• Kelprawn hasn't is own avatar in box and party, he looks like Venonat
  • Ruffsky hasn't is own avatar in box and party, he looks like Tangela
  • There are two different Beautifly in the game: one is number 16 on the dex, while other's number is ??? (I evolved the second one from a wild Silcoon..)
  • The Pikachu obtained from trade in Maroon city hasn't a name (he's named /Pikachu)

I love the design of the fakemon, by the way. They're really well done ;)

You spelled Ruffski wrong, and yeah its Venonat and Tangela's box/party sprite all right...

Anyway i found a few bugs:

- Purrloin line, Cubchoo line (i'm not sure about beartic, i haven't checked it yet) dosen't have their own cries
- Fumystic line dosen't have their box/party sprite [Fumystic's box/party sprite - Larvesta | Fumeseous' box/party sprite - Volcarona]
- Tirtouga's box/party sprite dosen't have an animation in the party menu (if you don't choose Tirtouga)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back