• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Years
I'm really sad to see all the dislike for this game. :( It was adorable! Took me about 30 hours to beat the story and I found it quite difficult at times, though I didn't like how most of the boss fights were pitting you against so many opponents at once. Granted this was my first real time actually playing PMD so I might have seen things differently if I played the older ones. However... the text speed was awful in our version, omg.

Oh, but the music was beautiful and I cried a few times during the story! Still addicted to it and am 70 hours into the thing now.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Aye..! Another 70+ hour player huh? I'm currently at about the 85-hour mark, working on getting Paradise past the Royal Rank.

The Musical Paradise thing is great because it allows you to do things in Paradise while listening to the music you like as a background. I think I rather it over the standard jukebox approach which prevents you from doing other things when you are listening to music.

I've recently taken a liking to stealing from Kecleon shops, and am in the process of planning a raid to see if I can recruit one with a premier gift.

I also like taking really low-level Pokemon into high-level dungeons alone, which makes missions require a fantastic level of strategy... Of course I load them up with all kinds of orbs and seeds since I have plenty of them currently.

I have a few team skills that make dungeon exploring pretty easy though, like one that sometimes tells you the direction the stairs are, and another that shows you the floor layout...

Paradise in my game currently has a maxed out Grass Dojo, Violent Seed field, Oodles of Orbs (Which is much more awesome when leveled up fully than I thought it would.) Swap Shop (Golden prize tickets everywhere!), and Prize Palaces. The rest of the shops are primarily level 1 with a few exceptions. I DID have a fully leveled Elite Boutique, but the owner left.

Years
I just bought my Nintendo 3DS XL yesterday and downloaded the demo. It is not available in Europe yet! :\
Well, from what I saw, I liked it. I find the story interesting, although I saw only a little part of it. And the graphics looked good.( Before buying the 3DS XL I was hearing everywhere how many pixels you can see but now that I saw it, it is not that bad as people described it. )
I want to say, that I will buy this game when it becomes available here. It will be my first MD game! :)

blue

gucci
Years
I downloaded the Demo last week because it's not released in Europe yet and for the first 45 minutes, I really thouroughlly enjoyed it. The game felt like a real Mystery Dungeon game, I read a couple of reviews slating the game and a couple praising it so I was kind of unsure what to believe, but from my personal experience I can't wait to get my copy and play on when it's actually released in three weeks, it looks like a great game.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
As I mentioned in the Mystery Dungeon emotional thread, I just finished this game's main story. Time: 42:38:02. Yes, I'm slow. I often am, since I like to take in every bit of dialogue I can find and explore entire floors if possible (because of my greed). And I absolutely loved it! ^-^ Seeing the menu having only six squares for bosses and people's opinions on it, I expected it to be really short. But to me, it felt like the story is just about as long as its predecessors. The characters are the thing that really bring the game to life for me (oh, and the music of course). These are characters that actually matter, characters you don't want to leave in the end. Even NPC characters like Herdier and Swanna play a role based on their personalities. Also, Hydreigon is adorable. ^-^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
I enjoyed the game, I thought the story was pretty cool and it was an all around fun experience. Some of the fights were a bit too tough if you were under leveled, but that's what gave it a challenge. I only wish that you could recruit all of the Pokemon like in past Mystery Dungeon games, and that the Post-Game had a bit more things to do. But overall, I enjoyed it and I love the paradise thing it's cool seeing Pokemon you befriended walk around in a place you built, reminds me of the original Mystery Dungeon. In my opinion, it's worth playing. :)

The Doctor

What!?
Years
Only played the demo so far since it hasn't been released in my region ( so please no spoilers ) but it seemed pretty good.

I'm annoyed at the fact you can only have five pokemon to pick from ( pikachu really has 0 place there ) because I like my old mudkip/charmander combo but I guess that won't happen.

Years
I was actually going to stop to pick this up on my way home from work today. However, now I may try the demo first.

I've never played anything from the PMD series, so forgive me. However, it seems like it's a short and very linear play time game? With little to no post-story thrills?

I was hoping to get it to fill the gap before X&Y comes out as my BW2 activity is somewhat slowing down.

If you had to choose, would you continue metagaming BW2 or try the new Mystery Dungeon?

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I was actually going to stop to pick this up on my way home from work today. However, now I may try the demo first.

I've never played anything from the PMD series, so forgive me. However, it seems like it's a short and very linear play time game? With little to no post-story thrills?

I was hoping to get it to fill the gap before X&Y comes out as my BW2 activity is somewhat slowing down.

If you had to choose, would you continue metagaming BW2 or try the new Mystery Dungeon?

The story is linear, and it's pretty short (unless you tend to take things slow and really absorb the game like I do). The post-game is surprisingly really short, but I haven't finished it yet. (Explorers of..., the second installment of the series has a relatively long post-game). However, even with the short post-story, there's still stuff you can do if you'd like.

Being a huge fan of the PMD series, I'd recommend trying it out. But I'll admit that it's not for everyone. It's a good idea to try the demo first.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Now I'm a pretty huge fan of the Mystery Dungeon series, they were a big part of my childhood so therefore I'm irrevocably emotionally attached to the games. I do still find the gameplay fun and the music fantastic, so it's not all nostalgia-based.

So Gates to Infinity. First, let me say: un-skippable text and not being able to accept multiple missions at a time. They seem like little things, but let me tell ya it really gets in the way. There's miles and miles of preachy dialogue that scrolls at a slow pace and there's not a thing you can do. Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea? How much would it have taken to include a text speed option? And not being able to tackle multiple missions at once really slows things down. I'll have, like, 5 missions in the same dungeon and have to go to that dungeon over and over and over again. Again, who in their right mind thought of that bright idea?

And the music disappointed me quite a bit. The music itself is good and atmospheric, it's just that they play the same songs over and over. It's good music, I just loved having a different theme for every dungeon. There are more dungeons here, but every major dungeon should have unique music. They don't. No me gusta nada.

A nitpick is not being able to pick out a gender for your sidekick or yourself. I'm Axew, I named myself Tigerlily, I'm a girl, but there's no way to affirm my gender. They automatically made my partner, an Oshawott, a boy. But I'm just picky like that. I'm assuming most of you don't really have a gender preference?

Now this isn't a nitpick: regardless of gender, you can only have 5 hero options. What. The. Heck. Though I do rather like not having to take a personality test... that's at least a step in the right direction, I'd say.

Now onto gameplay: It's still that fun, classic mystery dungeon format but I wanted a change. Any puzzles are preschool-level simple, so I don't count those. I was hoping for a refreshing kind of spice added to the gameplay, but it's only been made slightly easier. I was really hoping they could do something really creative with the way you interact with the landscapes you go rescuing in, but no... just the same-old, same-old.

The story is juvenile but it's for kids so that's cool. It's a little sad, though, because I remember getting emotional as a younger player with the other games. I think it's just because I'm older... but, dang, the story just seems even more nonsensical than the last ones to me. So unfortunately I'm not motivated to play for the story anymore.

Yet another rambling complaint of mine is lack of Pokemon species. There's-what, 200?-Pokemon in the game, mostly of Unova origin. I guess that can be excused because they had to make full 3-D renders of them? I don't know much about costs and the amount of work that goes into that kind of thing, so I'm unqualified to really complain about it. :(

What I do like is the addition of a Paradise. It's challenging to make it bustling and large. I can handle repetitive gameplay, but others will find going into dungeons over and over to gather ingredients tedious. I at least thought that was a creative twist. And still, the gameplay is a little lacking but still fun. I've had a lot of complaints but it's not that bad, really... just not nearly as good as I was hoping for. It seems kind of lazy and haphazardly put together in ways. And that's my opinion, folks!

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
At first I was really, and I mean really, excited about PMD! I loved the resque team games to death!
But after reading the somewhat negative comments I am starting to wonder if it's worth it.. On the other hand do I read quite some (very) positive comments as well..
UGH.. dilemma-ish?

blue

gucci
Years
I've got my copy now and after playing it for short time slots over the past few days I'm really impressed, I was a little swayed from the over abundance of negative reviews, more so than positive but I still got my copy thinking I'd enjoy it since I had fun with the Demo.

So far I haven't been disappointed at all, it's a really fun game to play regardless of what others say and I'm looking forward to going forward and completing the game.. that's my opinion anyway.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
I've got my copy now and after playing it for short time slots over the past few days I'm really impressed, I was a little swayed from the over abundance of negative reviews, more so than positive but I still got my copy thinking I'd enjoy it since I had fun with the Demo.

So far I haven't been disappointed at all, it's a really fun game to play regardless of what others say and I'm looking forward to going forward and completing the game.. that's my opinion anyway.

I am quite glad to read this!
I will download the Demo and then I might be sure wether to buy it or not!

Years
I've only played the demo, and normally I'd be tempted to buy a Pokémon game while waiting for the next main-series game (XY) to come out, but in this case I took advantage of being able to download the demo. I'm quite sure I won't be buying this game.

It wasn't bad, by any means, but one thing I've come to learn about the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games is that they're very, very dialogue heavy, and the demo was more than enough to show me that. I mean, they literally say in about 1000 words what could be said in 50. I know that with these games it's very important to portray the characters and atmosphere as effectively and thoroughly as possible, but I the amount of dialogue and repetition of important things is just overdone.

As I played the demo, as soon as my partner Pokémon mentioned their hope to create a 'paradise', I just KNEW that it would become something I'd get sick of hearing about.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I've just been Gurdurr and it feels like I've spent more time mashing 'A' to skip chat than I have fighting.

Years
I bought my copy too, the other day, and I like it! It is my first MD game and I find it really interesting! Although, sometimes I find it difficult to complete a task but okay! haha

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Thank you for all the reviews. I was debating on this game for a good while, but after reading these comments I decided it's best to avoid it and save my $30.

It would be nice if you could choose a starter partner like Petalil so I can evolve her later. But even then, since you and your partner do not evolve till way later there seems to be no point in hoping for that. :(

I have personally never played a PMD game though, so here's hoping the next one will be better yea? I'd like my first experience to be a good one after all.. ^ ^;

Ashygirl

Ash is my bae!
Years
Well....not being able to choose your gender or take more than one mission at a time are major flaws but despite that I absolutely LOVED this game! I think making a paradise is really fun it's gonna look beautiful once I'm done with it! IMO the positives outweighs the negatives. If I ever want to be a girl I'll replay Sky :)

One more thing, Theme of Hope is officially my new favorite PMD piece! (Sorry Time Gear)

Back