• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dawn in the Sonic universe?

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
I'm fine with that, but just remember that frustration is no excuse for deliberate ignorance. Once you've handled all this and credited everything, I'll talk about the crossover itself and give you ideas. But for now the plagiarism is really all I can think about.

*sigh* Alright, how do I send her a message?

*Mindless gibberish is heard*

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Can you not read Valentine's post?

SonicAngel's e-mail is on her dA profile. Look it up, go all the way down to Devious Info, copy it to a new e-mail, and send her a little question, probably, "Hey, I saw your art, and it's really cool. Would you mind if I used (insert description of ideas here) in my fanfic if I give you credit for it?" Then, wait for a response.

Right on SonicAngel's DA page is her email.

It's not mindless gibberish, the advice you've been receiving. It's people not jumping up and down praising your (stolen) idea. There's no need to delete your posts, and there's no reason at all to delete your thread. It's just people saying things you don't want to hear.

bobandbill didn't say anything that was "incorrect". He just told you to research the canons that you're writing about.

And really, there's no point in further discussion concerning the actual fic if you're just going to steal someone's ideas. That's why everyone is focusing on that fact.

Also, stop deleting your posts. It's annoying and unnecessary, not to mention the fact that it doesn't reflect well on you.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Then... set up an e-mail - just google for e-mail providers, for ones such as gmail.com, and create an account there, by following the instructions. Nothing timely to it.

Or leave a message on the person's DA profile. Or leave them a note (which I suppose is the equivalent of a PM there). Go to their profile, click 'Note' near the top of the page, scroll down and type a message, and send. (Of course, you'll need a DA account).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I haven't set up e-mail on the computer I'm using and I don't know how.

While you might have switched computers since you registered, I'm just wondering how you managed to get onto PC, considering a legit e-mail address is required.

That said, bobandbill is right. There's a plethora of free e-mail providers on the series of tubes you can use. GMail's the best one, but there's also Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Mail.com, and so on and so forth. It takes five minutes to sign up for an account, so it's really not that difficult. You'll need a working e-mail address to sign up for anything else on the internet anyway, so you might as well get one.

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
While you might have switched computers since you registered, I'm just wondering how you managed to get onto PC, considering a legit e-mail address is required.

That said, bobandbill is right. There's a plethora of free e-mail providers on the series of tubes you can use. GMail's the best one, but there's also Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Mail.com, and so on and so forth. It takes five minutes to sign up for an account, so it's really not that difficult. You'll need a working e-mail address to sign up for anything else on the internet anyway, so you might as well get one.

I didn't switch computers.

Now I want this thread closed. :furretlock:

Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights.:pink_eek: *Gets on knees and begs*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I didn't switch computers.

*eyebrow quirk* In that case, what happened to the e-mail address you used to sign up for PC? The one you had to have and verify not only by entering twice in the registration form but also by clicking a link in an e-mail sent to it? Even if you don't use it anymore, it should still be a working e-mail address because there's absolutely no way you could have applied to this board without one. (No, you can't hack the board, and you can't apply with a fake e-mail address.)

Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights.:pink_eek: *Gets on knees and begs*

This is why we can't:

It's not mindless gibberish, the advice you've been receiving. It's people not jumping up and down praising your (stolen) idea.

And really, there's no point in further discussion concerning the actual fic if you're just going to steal someone's ideas. That's why everyone is focusing on that fact.

That and you told bobandbill off for legitimate advice. You've deleted posts in an earlier conversation when I advised you to get in touch with someone to avoid getting in trouble. You even said two people who were trying to help you were frustrating you. The only time when you were at all receptive was when you were getting fed plot ideas or praise for your story idea. (And no, I'm not counting your other idea thread here. I honestly don't know what Feign is talking about, either.)

So, why should we offer you any advice beyond what we're already giving you, considering those are the major problems we see, and you're blowing us off? If you want to get advice, stop whining that we're giving you advice you don't want to hear and start actually looking at what we're trying to tell you. Be willing to look things up on your own (because Google-fu is a skill everyone needs to have nowadays), and stop begging for advice when you're already getting it.

Look, I'm sorry I have to come to this point: telling you off for your behavior. I really don't like doing it because I don't think people listen if one talks to them with the verbal equivalent of a backhand. However, all you're doing is snapping or rejecting people outright when they're trying to help you, and there's nothing I hate more than someone who wants to be overdramatic instead of actually fix a problem that will take five minutes to fix if they actually followed the instructions everyone else is kind and patient enough to hand the author on a silver platter.

Point is, you haven't been receptive to most of the comments you've been getting on this thread, so why should we bother?

tl;dr:
ADVICE:
Blowing people off (by begging for other advice when you haven't fixed the main problem or by saying the person frustrates you and refusing to take other people's advice because "you're a fan" and therefore, you apparently know everything) is...

...NOT A GOOD IDEA.

So, chances are, to avoid ticking people off, you'll want to learn how to communicate with people. Communicating with people does not entail:

1. Making excuses.
2. Telling people the advice you don't want to follow is useless.
3. Deleting your posts for any reason besides it's a genuine mistake (double posting, et cetera).
4. Plagiarizing and attempting to pass it off as okay. (Well, at least, it is if you happen to be in communication with the creator of said idea, which you have yet to do.)

It does entail, however:

1. Being willing to fix mistakes yourself, possibly by looking up the instructions if necessary on Google.
2. Thanking people for their advice or otherwise telling them politely that it might not apply (only if it really doesn't).
3. Not deleting your posts.
4. Asking for permission.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Now I want this thread closed.

Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights. *Gets on knees and begs*
I can't close this thread if you still want advice. I will, however, close this thread if things continue the way they have been going.

And seriously, PC does require a working email in order to sign up and post (with the exception of CQ&F), and you had to have had one in order to be posting where you have been. So something must have happened.

What email did you enter in when you first signed up, and what happened to it?

Even if there's some story behind the missing email, it's easy to sign up for another one. There are free email providers out there on the Internet that you can find by Googling them.

The fact that you still haven't received permission to use another fanartist's idea and are still willing to continue planing out this story isn't good. There's no point at all telling you how to work the actual crossover if you're still stealing something.

Also, I'm not quite sure how to tell you that we're afraid of giving you advice, since the people who have given advice have been treated poorly.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
Spoiler:
My gosh, that's exactly what I wanted to say. How do you word it so well?

Oh my goodness. Look at this!
1. https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service... (Gmail registration)
2. https://www.deviantart.com/join/ (Deviantart registration)
3. http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)

Now we literally couldn't make it easier to do it without actually doing it for you.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
My gosh, that's exactly what I wanted to say. How do you word it so well?

*bows* Telepathy.

Seriously, thanks. Just throwing in my two cents that comes from years of experience, a sense of empathy, and maybe a bottle of alcohol or two. (Or not. I could have used one, though.)

3. http://Pokefemale-club.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)

Or alternatively...

http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (SonicAngel948 herself. The Pokefemale thing is a club. dAers have strange customs, but it's basically like a second account where multiple people can resubmit stuff. In any case, SonicAngel's e-mail address is halfway down the page. Keep scrolling until you see "Devious Info" on the right side. It's the last line there.)

But yep. Really not that difficult, Swampoleon. *nods*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own.

We're talking about this:

Okay, so basically Dawn ends up in sonic's universe as Dawn the Rabbit™(search Dawn the rabbit on deviantart.com)

The fact that you use someone else's idea (this character) is the problem.

'Course, some of us might also be adding in the fact that SonicAngel strangely enough wrote a fanfic exactly like this, but for the sake of making at least one level of this absolutely clear, I'm just setting aside accusations and going with the fact that you originally stated that you wanted to write about Dawn the Rabbit, which is technically someone else's fan character, redesigns or not.

And even then, if this is a complaint that we're not giving you advice, feel free to scroll up to the text highlighted in big, green font. Again, why should we give you any advice at all when all you do is snap at us? We've never even received an apology for that, especially given the fact that up until this point, we've been trying to help you. =|

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own. Leave me alone! Post on the other idea I have!
I'm confused.

Jeeze, guys, you're going to make him cry.

Seriously, though, this is fanfiction. Just about all of your ideas have been done before by default. Pokemon fanfiction is especially crowded, so there's no shame in admitting that your material isn't all that original. As a fanficcer, your job isn't so much to come up with new ideas as it is to implement existing ideas in new ways. Just ask the artist for permission and we'll be more than happy to give you literary advice.

As for being left alone, you should consider yourself fortunate that you have so many experienced users like bobandbill and Valentine who are paying attention to you. You need to get lucky to get noticed in the world of fanfiction, so I'd say you're off to a great start so far! Congratulations!

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own. Leave me alone! Post on the other idea I have!
I'm confused.
My god... I just linked to every single page you'll ever need to go to in order to communicate with Sonicangel! How hard is it to cick three separate links and make two accounts? And actually, you've wasted exponentially more time arguing with us than it ever would have taken to do it in the first place. If you just suck it up and ask her, you'll have Bobandbill and Valentine (and not to mention, me) to give you advice on your fanfic. But one thing we will not do is advise or help you on a plagiaristic work.

EDIT: I'll do it once more.

~Lilbittygoat

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
True explanation

My god... I just linked to every single page you'll ever need to go to in order to communicate with Sonicangel! How hard is it to cick three separate links and make two accounts? And actually, you've wasted exponentially more time arguing with us than it ever would have taken to do it in the first place. If you just suck it up and ask her, you'll have Bobandbill and Valentine (and not to mention, me) to give you advice on your fanfic. But one thing we will not do is advise or help you on a plagiaristic work.

EDIT: I'll do it once more.

~Lilbittygoat
I'm not going to ask because of these things:

1. Dawn is the only character who is turned anthro.

2. No Red Dragon of Wrath (Which, I think is a bad villain name)

3. G.U.N. and Eggman actually wonder how Dawn ended in the sonic universe and Eggman steals her Pokédex and an empty Pokéball from her.

4. In anthro form, Dawn can run fast like Sonic and use her rabbit ears to glide like Knuckles.

5. I don't need no stinkin' permission it's a fanfic!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

3. G.U.N. and Eggman actually wonder how Dawn ended in the sonic universe and Eggman steals her Pokédex and an empty Pokéball from her.

4. In anthro form, Dawn can run fast like Sonic and use her rabbit ears to glide like Knuckles.

Not quite the point. You're using someone else's fan character, dear, and that's what we're all rioting about.

And even then, you're getting pretty specific here. A handful of very narrow details that have been changed or left out really doesn't mean that it's not a concept someone else has done if the rest is pretty much the same, if that makes sense.

For using the canon, yes, it's a given that you don't own the original material, so you don't need to write Nintendo or whatnot to get permission.

However, in using a character created by another fan, yes, you do because you're lifting fan concepts (not the entire story, at that -- mostly just the character) from someone else's work. It's like how you might feel if someone took your avatar and claimed that they created the character themselves.

That and, again, we're telling you to do it this way so you can avoid drama. The larger companies that churn out the canon don't care if you base a fanfic on their material. Individual fans do.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm not going to ask because of these things:

As stated previously by Valentine-who has been incredibly helpful to you so far-those don't matter in the least. You're stealing a character created by someone else, and no matter what the story of this fan fiction is you did not create this character, and need permission to use it.

This baffles me... So if I decided to create a fan fiction using your real life self as a character-same name/physical characteristics-and mis-represented you, that would be just fine and dandy? Because it is a fan-fic, right!?

Back