• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphic✓] World Map Palette

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Hello all, I am tackling the next part of my hack by creating a world map, but I absolutely despise FR/LG's style and want to update it to D/P/Pt's. I can create the map quite easily but I want to know if this is possible? Has anyone had any luck in changing the map style, more specifically the colours used. What's the offset of the palette? If I can find out that, I can create my dream map.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Hello all, I am tackling the next part of my hack by creating a world map, but I absolutely despise FR/LG's style and want to update it to D/P/Pt's. I can create the map quite easily but I want to know if this is possible? Has anyone had any luck in changing the map style, more specifically the colours used. What's the offset of the palette? If I can find out that, I can create my dream map.

It's possible to change both graphics and colours. I'm afraid I don't have the offset for the palette, but it should be easy to find the old fashioned way. (search for colour hex values in a hex editor)

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
It's possible to change both graphics and colours. I'm afraid I don't have the offset for the palette, but it should be easy to find the old fashioned way. (search for colour hex values in a hex editor)

I have no idea how to do that. Hex editing isn't something I'm familiar with just yet. I'll learn it but I have quite a way to go before I can properly use it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I have no idea how to do that. Hex editing isn't something I'm familiar with just yet. I'll learn it but I have quite a way to go before I can properly use it.

By this point I'm sure the offsets for everything have been posted somewhere, and there might be a simpler way of finding them, but have a look at this (too old) tutorial. I'd recommend using Advanced Palette Editor for editing the palettes, though.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
By this point I'm sure the offsets for everything have been posted somewhere, and there might be a simpler way of finding them, but have a look at this (too old) tutorial. I'd recommend using Advanced Palette Editor for editing the palettes, though.

Thank you. Any idea how many colours can be used? I'm sure there's over 16 on the original FR/LG map but I don't want to add in more if I can't. Is 256 colour palette editing difficult too?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Thank you. Any idea how many colours can be used? I'm sure there's over 16 on the original FR/LG map but I don't want to add in more if I can't. Is 256 colour palette editing difficult too?

I believe there are two or three 16-color palettes used for the worldmap. I can point you to the offsets and relevant tutorial post tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
I believe there are two or three 16-color palettes used for the worldmap. I can point you to the offsets and relevant tutorial post tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Ok, got it!

Here's the relevant tutorial, credit to Neti. I recommend reading through it, it will give you a good understanding of how the worldmap works.

And the palette offsets themselves:

...First we need to find the offset of the Palettes.
Are you using FR and Palettes 0 and 3 like I did? You're lucky, I know the offsets: Pal0 = 003EF2DE, Pal3 = 003EF33E

If you run into more issues with your worldmap, you can let me know. I can point you to some other tutorials and tools and let you in on a few tricks that aren't in any of them for making the process a bit smoother.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Ok, got it!

Here's the relevant tutorial, credit to Neti. I recommend reading through it, it will give you a good understanding of how the worldmap works.

And the palette offsets themselves:

If you run into more issues with your worldmap, you can let me know. I can point you to some other tutorials and tools and let you in on a few tricks that aren't in any of them for making the process a bit smoother.

I'm running into problems inserting the tilemap. I believe the tileset has been inserted due to me being able to see some of the correct tiles (albeit and odd colour) on the map but for some reason when I follow Neti's tutorial and add the .raw and repoint using WRAP RE, it is still messed up. I tried it on my own hacked ROM and a clean one, but still the same problem. My .raw file was over the required bytes so I tried it once with its original bytes and then with it reduced to the required size, still no luck.

This screenshot is from A-Map but it's exactly the same in-game aside from the 'map' parts at the side.

CooyCGZ.png

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but when I go to the correct offset on unzlgba, after inserting the tileset, it still shows the old one? Also when I go to import the .raw again or the tileset, it shows the original offsets it used, rather than the new ones I added for them.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I'm running into problems inserting the tilemap. I believe the tileset has been inserted due to me being able to see some of the correct tiles (albeit and odd colour) on the map but for some reason when I follow Neti's tutorial and add the .raw and repoint using WRAP RE, it is still messed up. I tried it on my own hacked ROM and a clean one, but still the same problem. My .raw file was over the required bytes so I tried it once with its original bytes and then with it reduced to the required size, still no luck.

This screenshot is from A-Map but it's exactly the same in-game aside from the 'map' parts at the side.

CooyCGZ.png

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but when I go to the correct offset on unzlgba, after inserting the tileset, it still shows the old one? Also when I go to import the .raw again or the tileset, it shows the original offsets it used, rather than the new ones I added for them.

I think you are talking about the unlz to show the old pointers.... even if old pointer is shows so there it will have been edited.... but from your screenshot it seems as if you have not imported the raw file.....:

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
I think you are talking about the unlz to show the old pointers.... even if old pointer is shows so there it will have been edited.... but from your screenshot it seems as if you have not imported the raw file.....:

I did try. I've done importing raw files before, the title screen I edited successfully for instance, but I don't know why this map one won't work. Something which may be the problem is when I click write to Rom on unlzgba, I repoint and everything, then the button is highlighted, kinda like it's loading. I've waited for half an hour before with it like that but it's still the same. Is there any way I can write the raw file to the ROM without unzlgba?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Is there any way I can write the raw file to the ROM without unzlgba?

You can paste it into the ROM in a hex editor.

At a glance, it looks like your tilemap may be the wrong dimensions. That often gives the type of "slanted" pattern you're seeing here. I'll try to look deeper into this when I get a chance, but in the meantime, double-check how you're creating the tilemap.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
You can paste it into the ROM in a hex editor.

At a glance, it looks like your tilemap may be the wrong dimensions. That often gives the type of "slanted" pattern you're seeing here. I'll try to look deeper into this when I get a chance, but in the meantime, double-check how you're creating the tilemap.

I created it in NTME with 30x20 8x8 squares as the dimensions. I even used the FR World Map preset they have available. I'll try and paste it into a hex editor. How can I do that?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
I created it in NTME with 30x20 8x8 squares as the dimensions. I even used the FR World Map preset they have available.

Good. Have you added the extra bytes? Quoting from Neti's tutorial:

First of all: Your tilemap file MUST be 1216 Bytes long. If it isn't, you have to append Zeros to the end of your file with the help of a hex editor. When you reach Offset 4C0, you have inserted enough zeros.

To manipulate your tilemap in a hex editor, open your hex editor, hit File -> Open and find your tilemap (.raw file). You should see a relatively short amount of hex. (If you're using HxD, you can also drag and drop the file onto an open HxD window, or go to Open With... in the right-click menu.) Add those extra 00's to make your tilemap 4C0 bytes long (ie. the final offset should be 4BF). In HxD you can do this quickly by going to Edit -> Insert Bytes and specifying how many 00's you want to add.

I'll try and paste it into a hex editor. How can I do that?

See above. Then, you'll select that whole file in the hex editor, copy (Ctrl + C), open your ROM in the hex editor, go to the offset you want to place it at, and paste-write (Ctrl + B in HxD). Make sure to save your changes and note the offset you're inserting at.

Last edited:

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Good. Have you added the extra bytes? Quoting from Neti's tutorial:

To manipulate your tilemap in a hex editor, open your hex editor, hit File -> Open and find your tilemap (.raw file). You should see a relatively short amount of hex. (If you're using HxD, you can also drag and drop the file onto an open HxD window, or go to Open With... in the right-click menu.) Add those extra 00's to make your tilemap 4C0 bits long (ie. the final offset should be 4BF). In HxD you can do this quickly by going to Edit -> Insert Bytes and specifying how many 00's you want to add.

See above. Then, you'll select that whole file in the hex editor, copy (Ctrl + C), open your ROM in the hex editor, go to the offset you want to place it at, and paste-write (Ctrl + B in HxD). Make sure to save your changes and note the offset you're inserting at.

My file went over 1218 bytes to begin with. Does this matter? I attempted to shorten it the same way but that did nothing and probably corrupted the file?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
My file went over 1218 bytes to begin with. Does this matter? I attempted to shorten it the same way but that did nothing and probably corrupted the file?

Are you reducing your image to a tileset before creating the tilemap? It shouldn't end up being that large. If you want, PM me the image and I'll take a stab at it.

Back