• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Gen Pokemon - Fifth Gen Competition

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Alright another change has been made so please give me some more feed-back. I know it isn't the best team ever, or even close, but i think it can be good. You guys have helped a lot, i just need a little more advice. I have added my general weakness chart because that's where i have trouble.

This is my second draft of this cool team and it needs work (So please give me your opinions). This is a 5th gen competitive OU singles team. The fun part is im only using "classic" 1st gen pokemon, because they are the bomb. The idea was make a solid easy to use team of 2 attackers, 2 defenders, and 2 supporters, with the theme of classic (my favorite) pokemon. It is supposed to be a fun team for me because thats the point of playing, but i also have a winning prerogative so be real. Alright, heres what it turned into.

ATTACK
Role: Physical Sweeper
149.png

Adamant@Multiscale@Lum Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost
Summary: Dragonite's Immense Attack and good speed it's obvious he'll clean up pretty well. He has a standard move set. I went with Dragon Claw over Outrage for Accuracy, and Flamethrower for Scarm and other Steel Walls. Roost is because he wont be locked in combat with Outrage. The plan is Dance, Attack, Heal, pretty easy. Neutrally hit by electric and weak to ice.

Attack

Role: Physical Sweeper
91.png

Jolly@Skill Link@White Herb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
Summary: In agreeance with suggestions i chose Cloyster over Tentacruel. Shell Smash is the crux of this set, doubling Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed to threatening levels. Icicle Spear is the perfect move for Cloyster; because of Skill Link, it will always hit five times, effectively making it a 125 Base Power STAB move. Rock Blast offers great coverage with Icicle Spear, hitting Fire-, Water-, and Ice-types for at least neutral damage. Cloyster Totally blocks my ice weakness on Dragonite and Dugtrio, but is another hurt by electric.

ATTACK
Role: Revenge Killer
51.png

Jolly@Arena Trap@Choice Band
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
Summary: Dugtrio is designed to fill two purposes. One fill my electrical weakness. The second is swap in after the fainting of an ally and finish off the weakened enemy. Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the famed EdgeQuake combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many can switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent weapon against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias, if they decide to stay in the fray. Its priority is also useful in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, which will cause damage even if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, and so on.

Support
Role: Healer
134.png

Bold@Water Absorb@Leftovers
252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Summary: With a defensive EV spread, Vaporeon can tank multiple hits from opposing Pokemon. Scald serves as Vaporeon's STAB move and has a handy 30% chance of burning the opposing Pokemon which is great for crippling physically based Pokemon who think they will be getting a free switch-in. With Vaporeon's large base 130 HP stat, means that it will be healing much of the team for at least 50%. Protect is for healing himself or stalling while Chansey or Tentacruels poison takes place. 1/2 damage on ice i think these two counter the Dugtrio/Dragonight ice weakness.

SUPPORT
Role: Cleric
113.png

Bold@Natural Cure@Eviolite
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Protect
Summary: I chose Chansey over Blissey because of my love of 1st gen, so shoot me. With Vaporeon as my healer Chansey will cure the status ailments that would normally cripples pokes like Dragonite. She also has protect for stalling poison damage like Vaporeon.

Final Pokemon
Role:????
Ghost_I.png

Summary: I really don't know what to do here? Im thinking any pokemon that will fill my teams weak points and pull the end together. So let me cover those points to my knowledge. They are Electric, Ice, and Dragon. So ill keep this short and cover each. x weak - blank neutral - o resist
Weakness: Electric l Ice l Dragon
Dragonight:---------- x----- x---
Cloyster:------x------o----------
Dugtrio:-------o------x----------
Vaporeon:-----x------o----------
Chansey:------------------------

So the final count Electric affecting 3 major members with 1 resist. Ice effecting 2 with 2 resist. And dragon is inevitebly neutral as long as dragonight can out speed. So without access to steel type dragon status won't change. Also i think two for two on ice is okay. However the one electric resisting revenge killer doesn't do the job. Imo i need another electric sponge and for that i look to you guys. Potential candidates could be Jolteon, Magneton, Golem, or Mew.

Alright so there you have it. Tell me what you think and please give suggestions. I realize i have weaknesses so as well as pointing them out please suggest improvements. I am open to drastic changes even pokemon choice but please "try" to keep em 1st gen. Thanks for all your time.

Last edited:

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Since your going for a first gen team might i suggest a cloyster with a spread and moveset like this.

Cloyster
White Herb@ Skill Link@ Naive/Jolly
-Shall Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Hydro pump

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Haha yes you may, and i have actually considered him. He's a good poke overall. Two draw backs though, he has very low Sp.Def which isn't a huge deal because of my Chansey. The second draw back is a lot more concerning though and that is my teams weakness to electricity. With two bulky waters and Dragonite neutrally affected i am lacking in electric defense. That is primarily why i added Dugtrio, but i think a third bulky water might be to much. Can you suggest who i would remove for Cloyster?

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Haha yes you may, and i have actually considered him. He's a good poke overall. Two draw backs though, he has very low Sp.Def which isn't a huge deal because of my Chansey. The second draw back is a lot more concerning though and that is my teams weakness to electricity. With two bulky waters and Dragonite neutrally affected i am lacking in electric defense. That is primarily why i added Dugtrio, but i think a third bulky water might be to much. Can you suggest who i would remove for Cloyster?

It might be a good idea to replace Tentacruel sure toxic spikes are good and a rapid spiner is a also a good idea but it's really not required and since you already have 2 other good defence pokemon it'd be better off if you had more attack power.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm kind of concerned about Chansey. It's complete Taunt bait. Use Seismic Toss over Protect to ensure that it isn't screwed over by Taunt.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I'm pretty sure Gengar has x2 weakness to Dark so it can't cover your Dark weakness. Also, it is the only Pokemon you use that is weak to Dark. Scald is almost more than enough for Vaporeon. It needs Roar to pHaze stat boosing Pokemon.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Even though Gengar has been since an excellent special sweeper, even since Gen 1, it doesn't cover your dark weakness as it is weak to it itself. You could use a Scarfed Gyrados;

Gyrados @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Nature Jolly
EV's: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moves:
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

This is a somewhat rare variant of Gyrados, and it sure can sweep. With STAB Waterfall, Immense speed due to the scarf and Moxie, it keeps opposing Dugtrio, Donphan, Gliscor, Infernape, Heatran and sometimes Landorus in check. I Myself lost to it because i switched in wrong when i encountered one of these and i've won with it as well. Other moves are for coverage and what not. hope this helped.

Btw is this in Gen V? Or is it PO? If it's Gen IV, you could still use this Gyrados, but you'd have to switch something for DD

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Since you have an Electirc weakness why not use a Golem it's got an ok Defence stat and a decent Attack stat and you can make it really quick here is a good Golem set.

Golem
Leftovers@ Adament@ Sturdy
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Rock Blast
Sucker Punch

Plus it helps with your electric weakness but Golem isn't what you'd want to use why not use an Onix.

Onix
Eviolite@ Sturdy@ Impish/Carefull
Stealth Rock
Dragon Tail
Stone edge
Earthquake/Protect

Hope this helps

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Thanks for the suggestions. I replaced Tentacruel. I removed Gengar as you can see. As for Gyarados he is destroyed be electric and as cool as he is thats the wrong direction for my team. Vaporeon and roar is a good plan, but its a negative priority move so you'll have to talk it up or correct me to convince me. I like the Rock type plan for my final pokemon resistant to Electric, but idk who would be good.

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Thanks for the suggestions. I replaced Tentacruel. I removed Gengar as you can see. As for Gyarados he is destroyed be electric and as cool as he is thats the wrong direction for my team. Vaporeon and roar is a good plan, but its a negative priority move so you'll have to talk it up or correct me to convince me. I like the Rock type plan for my final pokemon resistant to Electric, but idk who would be good.

About that Rock type part out of the 2 i suggested Golem is the better choice since Golem can offer alot more power and bulk which kinda puts in an Attacker/Defence role into your team the only problem is that it adds a small water weakness to the team but that can be handed quite simply with dragonite or one of your other pokemon.

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Alright i have a few ideas for the last member i just need help choosing the best. Jolteon, Magneton, or Golem. Personally i think Jolteon would be the best bet.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I was going to suggest Magneton instead of Gyrados, but the fomer is RU and the latter is OU, and all the pokemon you had before were OU so i thought that you were going for a strictly OU Team. But Magenton would be a great addition to your team as well as a special attack stat, almost equal to that of a well known OU sweeper, Hydreigon.

Years
ayo this looks like it could be a p cool rain balance team since chansey wont take ss/hail damage under rain and u can abuse vaporeons hydration [change its ability to that if u take this suggestion], not to mention Cloyster will be more powerful, plus you have big dugtrio to stop all the other weather starters so rain can stay up at the end of the day. you have p much all the factors for a perfect rain team here, so just use a polifrog as ur final slot to bring da rain.

Rain! (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 64 SAtk / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

I'd use a defensive Politoed just because its bulkier and u have enough offensive power gl etc

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Seriously with the politoad? I was about to put in Magneton and be finally finished. I have had a lot of people say Magneton. I have this team on 2 other forums also. However just recently someone else suggested Politoad also, but didn't tell me why. I'm still not sure who to put in though.

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Seriously with the politoad? I was about to put in Magneton and be finally finished. I have had a lot of people say Magneton. I have this team on 2 other forums also. However just recently someone else suggested Politoad also, but didn't tell me why. I'm still not sure who to put in though.

Depends on if you want to keep this on gen 1 since politoad is a gen 2 pokemon so unless you want to include a gen 2 then i stuck with megnaton and if you willing to use a gen2 then go with politoad

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
what no special attacker come on man if you played any gen 1 then youd know alakazam was the poke to go to yuo have the spd and the power honestly i dont know why you changed gengar you never had a weakness to dark types anyways plus how many monodark types are there 2 theyre not faster then gengar or alakazam plus they get destrolished by focus blast.

Alakazam
Life Orb@ Timid@ Magic Guard
-Psyshock
-Shadowball
-Focus Blast
-Energy ball

--srry forgot to add ev's
252 spd, 252 spatk, 4 hp

Last edited:
Back