• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Musicians' Corner

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
*Hangs head in Shame*

Ive been rather busy lately and neglected the club a little bit... IM SO SORRY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!
*Cries*

Outfox I am so sorry! I was probably me thinking I had already put it up but forgetting, I apologise again please dont hate us! (Yes if I go down the whole club is coming with me for not reminding me! :P)

@The Bassist question: If you want to get better my advice is to search for some exercises on the internet that will get you use to strumming and changing frets. I personally just learn songs I like to get better at my instruments, nothing beats challenging yourself to improve your skills!

Im going to be putting Krosos and Alex's covers/samples they gave us on the front page unless either of them dont want their work there! So if not just give me a heads up.

Its also great to see you guys trying to get something together like a song played by members of the club, I will help in anyway I can so just ask.

On to a new Topic since the season has just been merry....
Did you receive any musical gifts for christmas? Such as a new instrument or a lesson book, etc.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Don't worry, I could never hate you guys! I'm excited to hear the samples :o

No instruments this year for Christmas, I suppose my mom decided to settle down on that after six years in a row of spectacular instruments (electric guitar, beautiful baby grand, mandolin, keyboard, ukulele, then another keyboard. I'm spoiled.). I did get headphones, which are kinda related.

Now, I have a question for you experienced producers. I'm actually taking a music production course this March which may answer all my questions, but I don't have the patience for that. I've been putting together a couple albums (all covers, don't get too excited) and I'm ready to record. Here are my materials: self, piano, laptop's internal mic. Yeah. I can't have a whole studio in my apartment but are there any suggestions you all have, strategy-wise or equipment-wise, to keep my recordings from sounding *gulp* ghetto?

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
Username: Kitrigar
Instrument(s) played: Flute (11 years), Clarinet (4 years) and Piano (2 years) and somewhat of the Violin (taking lessons currently)
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Of course.

I don't know what use I could be, but I am majoring in Music at my University and know a bit about theory and composition. I normally do orchestral/video game music styled music (what I'm interested in), but I've tried others before. :)

I use Finale 2012 to write my music and Logic Pro to synthesize realistic sounding music/edit music.

I also used to work with Pokemon Reorchestrated or PREO
My contributions were in the early stages, my most:

Last edited:

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
I use Finale 2012 to write my music and Logic Pro to synthesize realistic sounding music/edit music.

Is Finale 2012 good? I use Musescore and Sibelius to write sheet music (my sheet music is never really any good but anyway).

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
Username: EvilSkittles
Instruments: French horn (7 years), Ocarina (on and off 2 years), Singer (10 plus)
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Yes, of course

I've also played a bit of piano and the accordion.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
Is Finale 2012 good? I use Musescore and Sibelius to write sheet music (my sheet music is never really any good but anyway).

I haven't tried Musescore, but I actually find it to be easier to use Sibelius. Maybe it's because I was taught how to use Finale, but I think Finale is more efficient in composing scores quickly.

Yeah, another flute player! Woo! *high fives*

Woo! I was afraid I'd be the only one.

Evanlyn

Years
Username: EvilSkittles
Instruments: French horn (7 years), Ocarina (on and off 2 years), Singer (10 plus)
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Yes, of course

I've also played a bit of piano and the accordion.

I've never known of an Ocarina player before! That is so cool, is it difficult to play?

I haven't tried Musescore, but I actually find it to be easier to use Sibelius. Maybe it's because I was taught how to use Finale, but I think Finale is more efficient in composing scores quickly.

Yeah, another flute player! Woo! *high fives*

Woo! I was afraid I'd be the only one.

Ah ok cool - Musescore is a lot like Sibelius, I just find it has a simpler layout... maybe because that was the first one I used so I'm more used to it.

I can play flute a bit as well.... I'm only a beginner though! (Clarinet's my forte)

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
Not really if you've played any wind instrument, being a flutist it should be familiar. I own a 12 hole alto which can play a little more than an octave. You can get double and triples. With a triple it has pretty much the range of a flute.
The only trouble I'm having is modulating my breath since I'm use to my french horn. Now I'm inspired to go pick my ocarina back up and relearn everything. I have a terrible habit of putting it down for a while. I haven't really pick up my french horn in a while either, hmm.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
I've never known of an Ocarina player before! That is so cool, is it difficult to play?

Ah ok cool - Musescore is a lot like Sibelius, I just find it has a simpler layout... maybe because that was the first one I used so I'm more used to it.

I can play flute a bit as well.... I'm only a beginner though! (Clarinet's my forte)

I decided to switch to Clarinet my last year in High School because we were loaded with flutes.
The fingerings are pretty similar to the flute and I learned it pretty quickly.

Not really if you've played any wind instrument, being a flutist it should be familiar. I own a 12 hole alto which can play a little more than an octave. You can get double and triples. With a triple it has pretty much the range of a flute.
The only trouble I'm having is modulating my breath since I'm use to my french horn. Now I'm inspired to go pick my ocarina back up and relearn everything. I have a terrible habit of putting it down for a while. I haven't really pick up my french horn in a while either, hmm.

I tried the French Horn during a summer camp I went to a few years ago. Switching from a woodwind to brass is not very easy, haha. I gave up like the 3rd week of learning and never went back to it. Makes my lip tickle too xD.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I was basically forced into French horn my seventh grade year when I started band. When I was in sixth grade everyone was given a sound test. You had to differentiate between pitches, tell which one was higher or lower, etc. Well those that scored high were encouraged into the music programs. The highest scorers in band were greatly
encouraged to play French horn.

Then again, I did love it. The horn is a devil to play but since there were so few of us, you got really close with your section. We had 3 horns seventh grade year, 8 in eight and when I got to high school 14. That is considered a lot in my region. The 8 of us in my year were the most to sweep through the district in a long time.

Did you play the concert horn or the marching horn? I can easily see why you would want to quit if you had to play concert horn, that thing is the devil incarnate.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
I was basically forced into French horn my seventh grade year when I started band. When I was in sixth grade everyone was given a sound test. You had to differentiate between pitches, tell which one was higher or lower, etc. Well those that scored high were encouraged into the music programs. The highest scorers in band were greatly
encouraged to play French horn.

Then again, I did love it. The horn is a devil to play but since there were so few of us, you got really close with your section. We had 3 horns seventh grade year, 8 in eight and when I got to high school 14. That is considered a lot in my region. The 8 of us in my year were the most to sweep through the district in a long time.

Did you play the concert horn or the marching horn? I can easily see why you would want to quit if you had to play concert horn, that thing is the devil incarnate.

Unfortunately, the concert horn. It was completely out of my comfort zone and very different from woodwinds. I give props to anyone who has the stamina to play brass instruments. Woodwinds have it easy, haha.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
We learned on marching horns so by the time they shoved a concert horn in our faces, we were in too deep to run away. If you wanted to, you could play ever note with out pushing a single valve and that is precisely what makes it so frustrating to play.

I can't get a sound on a reed instrument to save my life. Couldn't get a sound on the flute whenever I tried either. I must be woodwind cursed.

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Hey! I'm a musician for my school's band!
Username: FenrirDarkWolf
Instrument(s) played: Clarinet, Bassoon
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Depending on the situation, yes.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I'm back after a long break, and I was wondering if this collaboration thing is still floating around. If so, I have to songs I think would be cool, but that's me. So anyway-
We're not gonna take it- Twisted Sister
Hungry like the wolf- Duran Duran
Ticket to ride- Beatles (am I the only Beatles fan here?)
Rock you like a hurricane- Scorpions
So...just what I was thinking. If anyone likes these, I'd be willing to collaborate.

Evanlyn

Years
I'm back after a long break, and I was wondering if this collaboration thing is still floating around. If so, I have to songs I think would be cool, but that's me. So anyway-
We're not gonna take it- Twisted Sister
Hungry like the wolf- Duran Duran
Ticket to ride- Beatles (am I the only Beatles fan here?)
Rock you like a hurricane- Scorpions
So...just what I was thinking. If anyone likes these, I'd be willing to collaborate.

I don't know whether I'll be able to collaborate, as I am really really busy :/ but I just wanted to say; you listen to good stuff! The only one I haven't heard is Rock You Like A Hurricane, but the rest of them are awesome.

Bounce

Blue eyes :3
Years
Username:
Bounce

Instrument(s) played:
Guitar, bass, the microphone o_O, piano, violin, viola, bass clarinet, drums, and the ukulele.

Are you willing to collaborate with other members:
My recording quality is really sketchy since I don't have proper recording equipment, but possibly.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Username:
Bounce

Instrument(s) played:
Guitar, bass, the microphone o_O, piano, violin, viola, bass clarinet, drums, and the ukulele.

Are you willing to collaborate with other members:
My recording quality is really sketchy since I don't have proper recording equipment, but possibly.

Welcome. If you don't mind me asking, but what kind of recording equipment do you have, if any?

Back