• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ditto is a failed Mew?

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
I've never heard this of theory before. It does sound like it's a massive coincidence which just so happens to fit this story - I love it!

Ashleyx

I see food, I eat it.
Years
This is true. Ditto is failed mewtwo not mew. Mew is also failed experiment of mewtwo. :pink_eek:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 29, 2024
I completely agree with this theory to be pretty honest. It would be very logical too, but who knows?
I think we will eventually learn a lot more about the Pokemon lore which still lingers from the earlier generations of games. At least I would really hope so!

Flakey Bear

Just watch it.
Years
I was only knowing that Ditto was the only Pokemon that can use transform until i saw Mew's moves... And knew it was a copy of it.

So yeah, it's true. Even if i like Ditto, i think it is copying Mew's transforming.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Well, koff~

Seeing as how Ditto can "breed" with any known Pokemon (within reason) and that Mew is considered the keystone for all Pokemon kind, it might be likely that Ditto is a failed clone of Mew. I'm sure the Mewtwo project came to light after all of the failed testing and loss of funding and few results. This might also explain why no 'new' Dittos can be created or bred, koffi~

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence
Years
Looking at all the pokedex entries, they are both genderless. Mewtwo was the only successful clone of mew and judging by ditto's appearance, it looks man made. "Mew is said to contain the DNA of every single Pokemon, while Ditto can essentially breed with every single Pokémon" (except legendaries).

It seems that ditto was a failed clone.

EDIT: Of course there is no way we can be 100% certain. Unless the anime reveals so, or any other source from gamefreak, etc.
EDIT2: Both Mew and Ditto have base stats that are the same in every category. Mew has 100 base in each stat, while Ditto has 48 base. The failed cloning process may have resulted in such diminished stats

Last edited:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Ditto can essentially breed with every single Pokémon" (except legendaries).

Well, to be pedantic, no source has ever said that Ditto can't breed with legendary Pokémon; all that is evident is that Ditto doesn't breed with legendary Pokémon. I believe that Ditto is capable of breeding with any Pokémon: but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will breed with any Pokémon (as it seems apparent that certain Pokémon, for whatever reason, simply do not breed with Ditto).

It's a quibble, sure; and probably a fairly insane quibble, to most people. But I thought I'd mention it.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
What, it got debunked? :c I'd always thought of the theory to be true. The insane amount of coincidences just make it seem so plausible. One of my favorite theories, and probably will continue to be.

I was surprised to hear that too.
Aren't their weights identical?
It was a fine rumor while it lasted.
Even their colors / shiny colors were the same. Oh well

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
Mew has the DNA of every Pokemon, at least that's what we've been told. Ditto's only ability is to transform into whatever Pokemon it wants. So theoretically, with the use of logic you come to the conclusion that it only makes sense that it is. Since Ditto can transform and only transform into any Pokemon (meaning that it most likely gathered the Pokemon's DNA), and Mew has DNA of every Pokemon with exact or similar traits, then it makes perfect sense that Ditto is a failed attempt at creating a Mew. Not to mention they are the only 2 Pokemon that can learn Transform, unless Arceus can (not sure).

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
No, Arceus does not learn Transform; why do you ask?

Well Arceus, Mew, and Celebi (still not sure about this one) are the only Pokemon that I can come up with that can learn any HM or TM. But I was completely oblivious to the fact that Transform is not a TM or HM haha.

Back