• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
I bet the next game will have the ability to change your character avatar with different skin tones and body builds.

Sirfetch’d

These graphics are simply stunning. Such an advancement since B2W2 in such short time. And the battles!!! OMG! GF has truly out done itself.

Years
I've been wishing for a mainline Pokemon game in 3D or at least with a lot more animations in the battles and such (like many I'm guessing) for a very long time. I think X and Y look amazing, will surely look better running on the actual system, and it's not even final yet, they have months to polish things up. I can't wait for October now!

SO HAPPY. It's going to take some time to get used to the new graphics, but I'm still SO HAPPY. Now I have a reason to get a 3DS.

Yup, I feel the same way, and also need to finally get a 3DS now.

Last edited:
Years
In the trailer, it said gameplay wasn't final. I expect improvement. My biggest complaints are the jagginess and the trainer NPCs. The way they just stand there is so awkward and unnatural looking. They need animations and should also be doing actions. (Rummaging through bags. Looking around. Fiddling with pokeballs.) At the very least, more casual poses. Also, remember back in April 2010 when we got those leaked images of B/W? The game itself changed a lot aesthetically from those images to date of release. Other than that, I love the art style. It's a huge step in the right direction. I've also wanted 3D for a long time.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I absolutely loved the graphics when I saw the trailer. And I'm sure the textures are going to change later on when it gets closer to it's release. It made me so excited and amazed by it's concept of how you're able to see the sky more in those games, that's fantastic. ^^

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Come on, people... Have you never even seen 3DS games before? They look far better than this, most of the time.

Kingdom Hearts 3D, for example, has much more beautiful and natural-looking environments. Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, etc... All games that are, like Pokemon, not designed to be realistic, but they still have smooth and attractive models and textures.

The game literally looks like they took BW and just tilted the camera and changed the 2D sprites to 3D models that look like sprites. It's pretty disappointing to anyone who has played a fair amount of high-budget 3DS games.

The thing is, I really don't care. I'm going to buy the games anyway, and they're going to be fantastic games, despite their crappy and outdated graphics.

EDIT: And yes I agree that the graphics could be updated before the release, but I don't think they will be. Remember the 3DS? It's not the final version, it won't be that ugly, but it really was.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I like the graphics in the games, though they could still use some work, luckily they have time to do that as they said it's not the final result. Seeing this game makes me even more eager for when remakes finally come around :)

Though it's much more cartoony than Kh 3D and Ocarina of Time it still has it's own special charm.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
These things should be in Pokemon X and Y

When you go into the Union room instead of just having an Avatar appear on the other perspons screen actually have your Player Character Appear and be able to walk around
(And Maybe allow some form of Co-Op Hub From there Similar to how DQ9 Had Co-Op)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
This should have happened back in gen 4. To say that I'm excited for this is an understatement.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I like what the graphics are, it's not as good as other games but still good, I think they could improve if it wasn't tile movement though xD

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I don't care if the graphics could be "better"; I think they're cute as is and fit the style of the main Pokemon games while still becoming completely 3D.

Pink Mommy

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
The graphics are great, you can't deny that. They're awesome!
BUT! This is a pokemon game people. When have graphics really mattered to us?

I've been playing with these kind of graphics in my head since Pokemon Yellow Version and I can say without any fear of being wrong, that I'm not the only one. What we see and what other people see is completely different.

I'm not so concerned about the graphics, but about the pokemon.

What are they going to be like this generation? If we have them as snow cones, trash bags, gears and lamps, is there really going to be something better in the upcoming generation?

Maybe one or two pokemon, yes, just like it always happens, but I honestly don't want to see a toothbrush pokemon or a make up case one. Really...

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Sprites

My first! but hopefully not last thread in the Pokemon X and Pokemon Y Forums xD

Is anybody else going to miss the sprites? The 3D figures are cool and have more capabilities but will you miss sprites? They were introduced as animated in Gen V for B/W/B2/W2 but they're already gone! If you could would you like them back in the next game? Or are you glad that they're gone? I, as a spriter, am personally going to miss them, they were simple, yet cool, clean, but rough, the capabilities a few pixels had to produce that image that was desired, of course, pixels are still used, but it's not the same as when you're limited to size and color, cleaning outlines, shading and overall everything else, I do like the figures but I sure am going to miss sprites, I'd like to see someone do a gallery where the pokemon are made into sprites :) xD Discuss! xD

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I can't wait to see the graphics properly in 3D, 2D screens are doing the textures and the edges no justice at all.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

While I agree graphics could be better, like Super Mario 3D land, OoT and MK7, they really don't need to be. Pokemon isn't a game that has thrived due to eye candy, it's thrived because it's really fun! This is GF's first try at 3D, and i'd say they've done a darn good job at it. It is a nice art style for a Pokemon game! And they'll probably get better closer to release! n_n

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
While I agree graphics could be better, like Super Mario 3D land, OoT and MK7, they really don't need to be. Pokemon isn't a game that has thrived due to eye candy, it's thrived because it's really fun! This is GF's first try at 3D, and i'd say they've done a darn good job at it. It is a nice art style for a Pokemon game! And they'll probably get better closer to release! n_n

Yep, I'm cutting Gamefreak some slack here seeing as this is the first time a core Pokemon title has gone 3D, but I expect great things in the future. Pokemon should have gone full 3d years ago, so this was a long time coming IMO, but like I said, I'll go easy on em for X and Y. I'm just happy it finally has gone 3d. Better late than never, right?

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2021
I have to agree with the others who say the over world graphics are disappointing. The battle graphics look fantastic, though. However the over world graphics are too choppy, jagged and that frame rate is WAY to slow for my liking. But the trailer did say 'game footage not final' and I don't see why they would put that unless the graphics aren't going to be worked on, they even put that on the official X & Y website. They still have a lot of time left to work on the graphics so I assume and hope that they will work on and make the over world graphics even better.

A perfect example is the new Luigi's Mansion that is coming out. Look at the first trailer and compare it to the most recent and just see how different it looks since they fixed the frame rate. Hopefully GF will do the same.

Back