• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
And I think Ruby/Emerald is much more decent than Sapphire, and about the starters, um, I don't know, Squirtle is one of my favorite Pokemon, you already have your Pokemon,{XD}

Anyways, want to help out?
I'm having some computer issues, and my ISP is fail-tastic. My internet comes and goes as it pleases and my computer is on it's last legs.

Once I sort out these kinds of problems, I might get back into hacking (Okay, I definitely will lol) but that's a ways off yet. And to be honest, I fail at Hacking Teams lol. I get confused way too easily. xD

Years
I'm having some computer issues, and my ISP is fail-tastic. My internet comes and goes as it pleases and my computer is on it's last legs.

Once I sort out these kinds of problems, I might get back into hacking (Okay, I definitely will lol) but that's a ways off yet. And to be honest, I fail at Hacking Teams lol. I get confused way too easily. xD

That's okay!
I'm gonna start a team thread once my hack is accomplished.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
What if there was a Pokémon ROM, which celebrated ROM Hacking as a whole. It had cameos from a bunch of ROM hacks. Of course, there would need to be a bunch of people to asj for permissions, but ut would be cool, to see your favorite hacks all joined together.

Years
What if there was a Pokémon ROM, which celebrated ROM Hacking as a whole. It had cameos from a bunch of ROM hacks. Of course, there would need to be a bunch of people to asj for permissions, but ut would be cool, to see your favorite hacks all joined together.

Yeah, like, you can pick what storyline, Glazed, Resolute, etc.
And, if you pick a gender, you pick what trainer sprite you want, you can pick Glazed trainer sprite, Resolute, etc.

I hope it can be done though.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Wow. Tbh this idea is really amazing. Well, since I'm posting I've got plenty of ideas that I didn't put on my last hack that I abandoned. Hopefully, this would be helpful and no, the ideas here are for you to understand, I'm not making a story out of it!

Surf/Dive idea
Spoiler:

Change of Bike idea
Spoiler:

Other protagonist and stories
Spoiler:

Past/Future times
Spoiler:

Good to Evil
Spoiler:

Play as the Professor
Spoiler:

Play as the Gym Leader/Elite four/Champion
Spoiler:

As for the play as ideas, it actually depends on what story you have for them.
You can make it interesting or not, it's all on you. Making the idea awesome depends on how you use the idea and how you make them. I find all my ideas great. I wouldn't mind one day you'll find my ideas useful. Lastly..

Online/Anime or making putting the pokemon out of the game idea
Spoiler:

Ideas are simply fascinating, but what makes them fascinating is that you can actually make them happen

Bliss

Years
Got an item based idea for you now: Repel Toggle!

Not sure what to call it in game, but it would be a Key Item that functions like Repel, disabling battle with any wild Pokemon below your current Pokemon's level while active. It will have 500 "charges" and it charges at a rate of 4:1 This means that for every 4 steps you take, it charges Repel enough to work for 1 step. You can choose to turn it on or off, and it will turn off automatically when it runs out of charges.

An extension to the idea above: Omega Repel
Omega Repel would be a Key Item that would work similarly to the item mentioned above, but it would not need charging and works indefinitely!

Just thought I'd add those puny ideas real quick, in the hopes of seeing them added to a new hack.

Side Note:
Spoiler:

EDIT: Had another idea, check spoiler below.
Spoiler:

EDIT2: I'm done trying to hack ROMs, so I'm offering the ideas I had before. Click here!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Omega Repel would make a really useful post-game item. And the PokéSpeak is an idea I've had before though I haven't ever used it, if it's implemented properly in the hack's storyline it would be very interesting I think.

I'm more interested in the small things/ideas in this thread rather than storylines in this thread, so I'd like to see more of these. Since I've already decided on my own hack's storyline and I'd like to focus more on details, I find things like items, side-quests and side characters to be very exciting additions in hacks, and these are actually what inspire and motivate me to work on my ROM hack more.

For example, I'm renaming the Old Rod to "Red's Rod", and it's going to be an item you get much later in the game as a reward, which will allow you to fish for very rare Pokémon.

Bliss

Years
Omega Repel would make a really useful post-game item. And the PokéSpeak is an idea I've had before though I haven't ever used it, if it's implemented properly in the hack's storyline it would be very interesting I think.

I'm more interested in the small things/ideas in this thread rather than storylines in this thread, so I'd like to see more of these. Since I've already decided on my own hack's storyline and I'd like to focus more on details, I find things like items, side-quests and side characters to be very exciting additions in hacks, and these are actually what inspire and motivate me to work on my ROM hack more.

For example, I'm renaming the Old Rod to "Red's Rod", and it's going to be an item you get much later in the game as a reward, which will allow you to fish for very rare Pokémon.
omgitsamod

I'm loving the idea exchange thread so far, but I'd really like to see more people contributing here. Until then, I'll just keep spamming ideas lol. I think a lot, after all.

New ideas:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I have another idea, like VV's:

You play as Prof. Oak, when he was a traveling trainer, I hope I can do that!

I attempted something like this a while back :3 was fun, although just before one of my hacking breaks xD.

I like the idea of marriage, if it's clear the player isn't 12 years old like normal xD.

Bliss

Years
I like the idea of marriage, if it's clear the player isn't 12 years old like normal xD.
That's going to be the big thing with the marriage and generation systems. The developer would have to find a way to make it more clear that time had progressed. It's common knowledge at this point that most trainers begin at age 10 after all. So we need some way to advance time 8 years (give or take) between starting the journey and getting married. Maybe have the story set in chapters where each chapter is set in a certain year?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
A game where you play as the rival to your main character. It would explore the psyche and personality, along with the causes of being a jerk.

DJTiki

Years
Hello. I had a few ideas on my mind, that I'll like to share.

New Choice/Assualt Items
Spoiler:

Pokéballs
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Hello. I had a few ideas on my mind, that I'll like to share.

New Choice/Assualt Items
Spoiler:

Pokéballs
Spoiler:

You have good ideas but I don't like pokéballs having in-battle effects only certain moves and items are supposed to have, like the Flash and Siphon balls. Though sending out a Flash Ball would be pretty cool, and this concept could actually work if you plan a lot such pokéballs.

And there's already the item Choice Specs for the special attack boost.

DJTiki

Years
And there's already the item Choice Specs for the special attack boost.

Oh yeah........woops. xD Yeah, in-battle effects for Pokéballs, would be cool, perhaps one for diverating effects, like Negating your abilty, but you get +1 priority on all moves.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
So I thought of two ideas that could be incorporated into a hack:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DJTiki

Years
So I thought of two ideas that could be incorporated into a hack:

Spoiler:

I actually thought of a similar idea. I really want something like this. Instead of Pokéballs, you use pokeblocks or coax them over to your team. Perhaps Drayden can be a stronger trainer, or even your rival!

Spoiler:

Genetically enhance the Bug types maybe? We have Genesect. That could be incorporated, as well. Laugh at Bug types will YOU?! Plot Twist: It could be Bill or a relative of him.

Kokio

Just hatched, yo
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
I decided to drop in since DJTiKi referred me to this thread. I'll try not to ramble and put a few main ideas into a list.

- "Rival" is actually your significant other.

- Intense plot including a not-so-friendly professor. One of their main motives is the money, but they aren't "evil" per se like Team Aqua/Magma/etc.

- Your policeman father went missing one day on patrol in a neighboring town. Due to your city being deep tucked within the forest, a steady income is hard to come by. Your mother is gravely ill and you are in desperate search for cash to get her medication. You've heard lately about the famous group of scientists that travel the region in search of new pokémon. They say they're in it for the research, but quickly you soon find out that they're in it for the money. They're hiring new trainers to broaden their search. They will offer a starting salary that would be more than enough for your immediate troubles and a starter pokémon that you may keep and train throughout your journey. You have no choice as your father is missing, your mother is in need of medication, and you cannot travel to neighboring towns for a job because you cannot cross the tall grass due to not having a pokémon of your own.

(Is this too intense as it involves sensitive subjects to be plot material for a ROM hack?)

- Able to choose gender for both yourself and your rival. Both homosexual and heterosexual relationships will be permitted; HOWEVER, there will be no hinting of sexual and/or inappropriate themes between you and your partner.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Since Drayden talks about a time before pokeballs, when people had to befriend pokemon instead of cacthing them, what if there were a hack built around this concept? The game could be set in a location based on Madagascar or another place with a very distinct ecosystem. Catching pokemon by befriending them could work like a modified Safari Zone.

I like the pre-pokeball premise too - but how will it work with the games current mechanics? Would you have to rely only on pokemon that you can interact with in the overworld (a system of sidequests to win pokemon over?) or would you somehow overhaul the way you catch pokemon in battle - something that would take a lot of graphical work and ASM to make perfect.

Your policeman father went missing one day on patrol in a neighboring town. Due to your city being deep tucked within the forest, a steady income is hard to come by. Your mother is gravely ill and you are in desperate search for cash to get her medication. You've heard lately about the famous group of scientists that travel the region in search of new pokémon. They say they're in it for the research, but quickly you soon find out that they're in it for the money. They're hiring new trainers to broaden their search. They will offer a starting salary that would be more than enough for your immediate troubles and a starter pokémon that you may keep and train throughout your journey. You have no choice as your father is missing, your mother is in need of medication, and you cannot travel to neighboring towns for a job because you cannot cross the tall grass due to not having a pokémon of your own.

(Is this too intense as it involves sensitive subjects to be plot material for a ROM hack?)

Nothing is too intense - but I'm curious as to where your story is going. If your Mother is ill, you won't want to be away from home for too long... do you get her medicine and then start the ~main~ story? Do you somehow get separated and have to fight your way back home as quickly as possible? Lots of ways to go with this :) seems interesting.

Back