The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:08 AM
mimimahboul
More than Awesome

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
I don't know either gen 1 or gen 5
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
III. Everyone seems to like it, but it has always been my least favorite. I feel that the color scheme is so bland and that the pokemon weren't designed well. There are pokemon I like from the third generation (Skitty <3), but overall, I don't think the games and pokemon were made as well as other generations.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cooltrainer Ashley Rose
Booted out - don't be like me!

Location: Don't die. You might get AFTERLIFE>...<3 Ashley Rose Kristiine.
Nature: Careful
Gen 5, because everyone looks at it with rose-tinted lenses. The scenery is hardly changed the trees look all the same. It wasn't much of a jump from gen 3. The attacks are still lackluster. Hyper beam looks gross now. There's not much that's new to the games. It's over hyped, and people glorify Pokemon. I don't like Zebstrika. Audino's useless. The levels are really high. I have almost all the Pokemon from Unova, and the other generations. They didn't bring any of the old pokemon back until the sequel. There's not much that goes on after completing the Pokedex, getting a certificate.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post
Mt. Coronet is unforgivably bad, but Victory Road in Hoenn ranks alongside it. You need:
Strength
Rock Smash
Flash
Surf
Waterfall

As I've said, Gen 4 continued most of these annoying trends, but Gen 3 is ultimately the more popular of the two, hence why I rank it as more overrated.
Yeah, I won't deny it, Hoenn's Victory Road is pretty damn abysmal. However, you can get by without Flash if you have a map or walkthrough.

Honestly, the reason that Gen. III is more popular is because it is generally accepted that the Hoenn Pokemon are fantastic and the region is a really interesting, tropical region with locations never seen in a prior Pokemon game (rainforest, volcano, undersea, etc.). Whereas Sinnoh was cold, kind of boring, and filled with mostly-non-noteworthy Pokemon, Hoenn was vibrant and colorful.

Plus, as I said before, many of the Hoenn Pokemon designs are amazing (Flygon, Metagross, Sableye, Dusclops, Zangoose, all 3 fully-evolved starters, etc.).

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post
Yeah, I won't deny it, Hoenn's Victory Road is pretty damn abysmal. However, you can get by without Flash if you have a map or walkthrough.

Honestly, the reason that Gen. III is more popular is because it is generally accepted that the Hoenn Pokemon are fantastic and the region is a really interesting, tropical region with locations never seen in a prior Pokemon game (rainforest, volcano, undersea, etc.). Whereas Sinnoh was cold, kind of boring, and filled with mostly-non-noteworthy Pokemon, Hoenn was vibrant and colorful.

Plus, as I said before, many of the Hoenn Pokemon designs are amazing (Flygon, Metagross, Sableye, Dusclops, Zangoose, all 3 fully-evolved starters, etc.).
Hoenn is the hardest region to build a team for me, because many of the Hoenn Pokémon are quite awkward and don't learn good moves until high levels or evolve by stones but you only get the stones near the end of the game (I'm looking at you, Seedot and Lotad).

I liked a select few Pokémon from Hoenn, mostly the ones that didn't deviate too much from the early gen art.

In trying to be oh so different, Hoenn is the region that feels the least like a Pokémon game. It's just a bunch of everything crammed into a space that wasn't very big to begin with, and half the map is water and pointless underwater dungeons that just scream laziness on the devs' part. It's interesting how Sinnoh felt much more like a Pokémon game, maybe it's the fact it isn't a tropical area. The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.

Sinnoh is definitely underrated, and it was when the game started to shine in terms of variety and viability of many Pokémon.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
Three. It was fun but...

Old April 6th, 2013, 02:25 AM
King Gumball
Haven't been here for ages...

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to King Gumball
Gen I. Every one seems to like it since it was the first, but honestly all there is in Gen I is Pidgey, Zubat and Geodude. I also like more complex Pokémon designs, which most Gen I Pokémon did not have.

Old April 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Send a message via AIM to Rai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Three. It was fun but...

This picture describes Generation III and how I feel perfectly.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:01 AM
mimimahboul
More than Awesome

Nature: Jolly
All the generations were okay, but generation 4 was a bit too overrated.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

*sigh* I know I've been treating it as the worst of all time, but I am going to say this.....

The most overrated generation is...

Generation II

THERE! I said it! I am stating that my least favorite generation is the overrated generation. Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal are considered the holy grail of the series, I respectfully disagree as there are better games out there such as Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. In fact, it's the worst generation of the series IMO. I played through, researched, and dissect it to point out the flaws that Gold and Silver has. In order to hold the greatest generation of all time title is that it needs to age good. It doesn't meet that criteria because of the flaws that are too glaring to ignore.
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:11 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
Generation V. I find it hard to even play through that game at all. And you're pretty much forced to use your starter in the beginning because Lillupup, Patrat, and Purrloin are probably the worst pokemon you could ever have. Pidgey, Hoothoot, Gastly, and Ralts are all easily obtainable and decent. So why do I have to use Purrloin, which learns its first Dark move at level 15, while I'm stuck using Fury Swipes and Scratch until then. And don't forget that every five minutes Cheren, Bianca, or N have to challenge you to a battle until you've already battled them all five times and you're barely at the second town. Or Alder forgets to give you, the most important berry of all, the Oran Berry. Yeah, I'm really gonna be using Oran Berries when at this point I can buy Potions and Super Potions.

To the above poster, you really have to critique HGSS. Obviously if you critique GSC under the present-day eye, they're going to look terrible, but they were incredible for their time. Things changed in Pokemon, obviously those games will look bad compared to something like DPPt.

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot|The|Puck View Post
To the above poster, you really have to critique HGSS. Obviously if you critique GSC under the present-day eye, they're going to look terrible, but they were incredible for their time. Things changed in Pokemon, obviously those games will look bad compared to something like DPPt.
That is a relevant statement if I say Gen IV is overrated, which is not the case at all. HGSS is my favorite remake considering that you can trade any Pokemon from DPPt, which means you can get Gen III and IV Pokemon before getting the National Pokedex, the mechanics are convenient (running shoes toggled, Pokemon following you, etc.) and Kanto is fully explorable in HGSS unlike in GSC which areas like Seafoam Island, Cerulean Cave, got taken away, and Viridian Forest is just part of route 2, which is my biggest gripe with GSC.

Other than that, people still praise GSC even though HGSS is superior.

Last edited by FlameChocobo; April 11th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Elephantomsk
Unhatched Egg

1 and 4. I just don't think either should be heralded as great games.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.

Sinnoh is definitely underrated, and it was when the game started to shine in terms of variety and viability of many Pokémon.
I won't disagree that the 4th gen is almost universally disliked, but that doesn't necessarily make it underrated. For example, Superman on Nintendo 64 is universally disliked, but it's not underrated, because it's possibly the worst video game of all time. To be underrated something must first be good, and Gen. IV is probably the worst of the gens. Now, personal preference does come into it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
The coldness of Sinnoh appealed to me a lot, all the evolutions aside from maybe Dusknoir were very much needed, and the few Sinnoh Pokémon are very cool IMO.
It's fine that you like the cold region of Sinnoh, but most people didn't. I for one found it a bit bland and depressing compared to the exotic, tropical Hoenn region. As I said earlier, opinions do factor into one's decision on what gen is overrated or underrated. Honestly, the reason I think Hoenn was great was because it seemed to pull off being different better than any other region. Whereas Unova was certainly different, the region and it's Pokemon really didn't seem right. Something seemed to be missing. However, I find Hoenn to be a nice breath of fresh air, while still feeling like a Pokemon region.

On the topic of Gen. II, though, I will say that I agree that it's overrated. I mean, it introduced some great new Pokemon (Scizor!), but everything was just so underleveled in Johto that the game was excruciatingly easy compared to the other games.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Probably I, even though I do have fond memories of it. V is definitely the worst, but that seems to be quite a common opinion so it's not particularly overrated. II is my favourite gen, so I'd never think of it being overrated at all. IV, I like more than a lot of people, but I can see why others would think it was overrated; for me, I just really like a lot of the new Pokemon introduced, even if I don't particularly care about Sinnoh. And everyone seems to pile on III even though I find it quite charming and quaint.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Obviously GenWunners speak for themselves. But I don't think that one specific generation is overrated. All the games bring something new and innovative to the table that make the game different to create something fresh.

However, I am a bit biased to children who play the latest games and say they're the best when they make no effort to touch R/B/Y and don't understand the true difficulty of a Pokémon game. These children these days are pampered and their hands are held throughout the game.

For example, in the recent installations. When you're poisoned you no longer take walking damage.

I can tell you I was thoroughly disappointed in B2 when I was sent to sewers by Iris to hunt down some Plasma members and my rival accompanied. I've always enjoyed the challenge of diving into a mess by myself. Now, apparently GameFreak doesn't think we can handle it.

Sorry for the irrelevant response. My answer is everything past Gen IV.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here