• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first competitive team EVER

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
There are some other forums that are not so helpful at all that I have posted in, going over 48 hours with no reply so I am going to try you guys out!

So please help.

My team as of now consist of these and I am open to any changes/suggestions and I would like harsh advise for this is my first competitive team.

joltion
Timid
Quick feet
15-17/31/31/31/31/31
Not sure what the iv in the HP is
252 special attack/252 speed/4 hp
Do not have any moves yet, still in 20s

Garados
Adamant
Intimidate
31/31/31/21-25/31/31
252 attack,252speed, 4hp
Not sure iv in SA but it really isn't used too well and again, no moveset yet just evolved it today.

Still working on hatching

Adamant arcanine

Relaxed bronzong with levitate

And final bold flabebe is hatching.

Also i sill have room for one more I'm not sure what though!

Should I take anything out and add or what do y'all think?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I'll help, I'll suggest what I can.
Now I think maybe why you didn't get a respond before is because your team is so vague. You don't even have movesets- even if Jolteon doesn't have it's moves yet, you could list what you have planned for it.
A lot of people use Jolteon, you can always look at what they're doing for suggestions. Anyway.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Roar

I would normally suggest Signal Beam in place of Roar but I just checked Serebii and it's a Gen V only move. You could replace Roar with Charge Beam, it's low damage but can raise your Sp. Atk. It's all I can think of.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Again, unfortunately Bounce, a good move for Gyarados, is not available to it in Gen VI.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Extremespeed/ Flame Charge
Flare Blitz
Crunch/ Wild Charge
Close Combat

Don't evolve Growlithe until it learns Flare Blitz and Crunch. It doesn't learn them after evolution. If you choose to go with Extremespeed, you will have to breed Flare Blitz onto it and go with Wild Charge instead of Crunch. This is because Arcanine learns Extremespeed at level 34 but Growlithe learns Crunch and Flare Blitz after that. Unless you breed it to know Flare Blitz.

For Bronzong, it's moveset highly depends on what you want to do with it. You can look at it's movepool to decide, you will see how diverse it is.

And Flabebe, hm? You sure you want it to be Bold? How about Calm and send it out only when special attackers are out? It's HP and defense are just average, it can't pull off being physically defensive very well.

Florges @ Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Sp Def/ 4 Sp Atk (if you want it to be more offensive you can switch HP and Sp Atk EVs)
Wish
Moonblast
Misty Terrain / Aromatherapy
Energy Ball

Suggestions for the last slot: Goodra, Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron. Do you like any of those?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
I'll help, I'll suggest what I can.
Now I think maybe why you didn't get a respond before is because your team is so vague. You don't even have movesets- even if Jolteon doesn't have it's moves yet, you could list what you have planned for it.
A lot of people use Jolteon, you can always look at what they're doing for suggestions. Anyway.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Roar

I would normally suggest Signal Beam in place of Roar but I just checked Serebii and it's a Gen V only move. You could replace Roar with Charge Beam, it's low damage but can raise your Sp. Atk. It's all I can think of.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Again, unfortunately Bounce, a good move for Gyarados, is not available to it in Gen VI.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Extremespeed/ Flame Charge
Flare Blitz
Crunch/ Wild Charge
Close Combat

Don't evolve Growlithe until it learns Flare Blitz and Crunch. It doesn't learn them after evolution. If you choose to go with Extremespeed, you will have to breed Flare Blitz onto it and go with Wild Charge instead of Crunch. This is because Arcanine learns Extremespeed at level 34 but Growlithe learns Crunch and Flare Blitz after that. Unless you breed it to know Flare Blitz.

For Bronzong, it's moveset highly depends on what you want to do with it. You can look at it's movepool to decide, you will see how diverse it is.

And Flabebe, hm? You sure you want it to be Bold? How about Calm and send it out only when special attackers are out? It's HP and defense are just average, it can't pull off being physically defensive very well.

Florges @ Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Sp Def/ 4 Sp Atk (if you want it to be more offensive you can switch HP and Sp Atk EVs)
Wish
Moonblast
Misty Terrain / Aromatherapy
Energy Ball

Suggestions for the last slot: Goodra, Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron. Do you like any of those?

First, I want to thank you for helping me out.

I do like Goodra, gengar and mawile. Do you think one of these would help my team out more than a rapid spinner? I had been considering exadrill instead of starmie because I already have my water type covered with Gyrados.

For bronzong I was thinking I could go with this moveset to be an absolute tank

Bronzong @leftovers
gyroball
hypnosis
stealth rock
explosion/earthquake

The only problem with gyroball is I am having a difficult time getting his speed IV really low.

For arcanine, would a move set like this work well?
Flare Blitz
extreme speed
thunder fang
iron tail/flamethrower/close combat?

also, If i want arcanine to learn extreme speed, then could I just level growlith to 56 when ever he learns flare blitz, evolve him, then use heart scale on arcanine for him to learn extreme speed?
Not sure if I would need/want 2 fire moves though. Also, what is arcanine's unused IV? One of his defenses right?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
First, I want to thank you for helping me out.

I do like Goodra, gengar and mawile. Do you think one of these would help my team out more than a rapid spinner? I had been considering exadrill instead of starmie because I already have my water type covered with Gyrados.

For bronzong I was thinking I could go with this moveset to be an absolute tank

Bronzong @leftovers
gyroball
hypnosis
stealth rock
explosion/earthquake

The only problem with gyroball is I am having a difficult time getting his speed IV really low.

For arcanine, would a move set like this work well?
Flare Blitz
extreme speed
thunder fang
iron tail/flamethrower/close combat?

also, If i want arcanine to learn extreme speed, then could I just level growlith to 56 when ever he learns flare blitz, evolve him, then use heart scale on arcanine for him to learn extreme speed?
Not sure if I would need/want 2 fire moves though. Also, what is arcanine's unused IV? One of his defenses right?
I dunno how Bronzong can fare in the current meta, but it'll have to make do without Stealth Rock because it's not available yet:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake/Hypnosis
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EVs:252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Levitate

Thunder Fang is an INFERIOR option over Wild Charge. While Wild Charge also inflicts recoil damage, it's worth using over Thunder Fang. Also, Flame Charge may or may not be worth it, so stick to Extreme Speed. Arcanine also learns Flare Blitz at level 34, so if you evolve Growlithe at a time when it gets Flare Blitz (and Crunch if you so choose), then Extreme Speed will become a Heart Scale move:
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed
-Wild Charge/Crunch
-Close Combat/Morning Sun
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate/Flash Fire

To address Batty's rate, though I may have to disagree with some parts:
Misty Terrain is a terrible field move; it's essentially Mist for grounded Pokemon. Florges really should use Toxic or Aromatherapy in its last slot. Use a Calm nature.

Ice Fang, while it provides some good coverage, doesn't really see much use because of its low base power. I'd rather have Stone Edge, despite the shaky accuracy. Considering that Chesnaught and Breloom resist Water/Ground/Rock, Ice Fang may be a valid option.

Jolteon is too frail to use Roar, due to its negative priority. Hidden Power Ice/Fire are the better options, despite Hidden Power's nerf.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I dunno how Bronzong can fare in the current meta, but it'll have to make do without Stealth Rock because it's not available yet:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake/Hypnosis

Thunder Fang is an INFERIOR option over Wild Charge. While Wild Charge also inflicts recoil damage, it's worth using over Thunder Fang. Also, Flame Charge may or may not be worth it, so stick to Extreme Speed. Arcanine also learns Flare Blitz at level 34, so if you evolve Growlithe at a time when it gets Flare Blitz (and Crunch if you so choose), then Extreme Speed will become a Heart Scale move:
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed
-Wild Charge/Crunch

Misty Terrain is a terrible field move; it's essentially Mist for grounded Pokemon. Florges really should use Toxic or Aromatherapy in its last slot. Use a Calm nature.

Ice Fang, while it provides some good coverage, doesn't really see much use because of its low base power. I'd rather have Stone Edge, despite the shaky accuracy. Considering that Chesnaught and Breloom resist Water/Ground/Rock, Ice Fang may be a valid option.

Jolteon is too frail to use Roar, due to its negative priority. Hidden Power Ice/Fire are the better options, despite Hidden Power's nerf.
You're absolutely right about Florges. I made the assumption it was dual grass because it's basically a flower. -.-;

Hidden Power was the first thing that came to y mind considering Jolteon, but given the IVs listed it would either have Dragon or Dark. But that's basically from memory. Unless if the IV he listed that was 15-17 isn't HP.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake/Hypnosis

-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed
-Wild Charge/Crunch

@PD
Would you suggest I take bronzong out of my team?
Also what pokemon would you suggest I add in the 6th slot?

@Batty
The 15-17 is the HP for jolteon

***EDIT

The only pokemon I have on lock for my team is Jolteon, Gyrados, and arcanine

The other 2 I have not breeded yet so if you guys suggest anyone who will help my team out anymore, I would be really greatful.

I have never participated in a competitive battle so I am really new to this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
@PD
Would you suggest I take bronzong out of my team?
Also what pokemon would you suggest I add in the 6th slot?

@Batty
The 15-17 is the HP for jolteon

***EDIT

The only pokemon I have on lock for my team is Jolteon, Gyrados, and arcanine

The other 2 I have not breeded yet so if you guys suggest anyone who will help my team out anymore, I would be really greatful.

I have never participated in a competitive battle so I am really new to this.
Yeah I think that means your Hidden Power is going to be Dark or Dragon. That's not really a bad thing though, it's just not exceptionally good either.

I think you can use Bronzong and Florges. They are both pretty good. I'd listen to PlatinumDude about the Bonzong, I'm really unsure about what moves you can't use yet in XY, so.

Since Florges isn't a grass type (derp) Venusaur would also be an alright option for the last slot. I was also thinking of Starmie or Blastoise to rapid spin, but like you noted you already have a Water type.
I think Gengar would be a good option. Mega Gengar is really good. The only problem I can see is that a lot of people are using it so it might have become a bit predictable and people have made teams to counter it by now.
But I would like to know, is there any Pokemon you'd like for your last slot?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
Yeah I think that means your Hidden Power is going to be Dark or Dragon. That's not really a bad thing though, it's just not exceptionally good either.

I think you can use Bronzong and Florges. They are both pretty good. I'd listen to PlatinumDude about the Bonzong, I'm really unsure about what moves you can't use yet in XY, so.

Since Florges isn't a grass type (derp) Venusaur would also be an alright option for the last slot. I was also thinking of Starmie or Blastoise to rapid spin, but like you noted you already have a Water type.
I think Gengar would be a good option. Mega Gengar is really good. The only problem I can see is that a lot of people are using it so it might have become a bit predictable and people have made teams to counter it by now.
But I would like to know, is there any Pokemon you'd like for your last slot?
I am thinking a rapid spinner...Maybe ferrothorn or excedrill..

or maybe a crobat that can clear the field? Im not too sure. I also want to team that every pokemon I use is not something that every single person uses, but ever good pokemon comes with that flaw.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I am thinking a rapid spinner...Maybe ferrothorn or excedrill..

or maybe a crobat that can clear the field? Im not too sure. I also want to team that every pokemon I use is not something that every single person uses, but ever good pokemon comes with that flaw.

Note that Ferrothorn can't learn Rapid Spin, despite what Ferroseed's B/W animation may imply. Forretress, however, can do that:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball/Volt Switch
-Earthquake/Volt Switch
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
Note that Ferrothorn can't learn Rapid Spin, despite what Ferroseed's B/W animation may imply. Forretress, however, can do that:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball/Volt Switch
-Earthquake/Volt Switch
Nature: Relaxed
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy

Do you think forretress would be a better option than bronzong? and also did you get my PM?

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
I feel that Forretress is better than Bronzong mainly because it gets hazards up + Rapid spin. Bronzong does not get SR outside of 5th gen, to the best of my knowledge. Bronzong is better at setting up trick room, whereas Forretress is hazards.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
This is what I have so far.
A special thanks to Platinum and Batty.

1. Jolteon life orb
timid feet
Timid
flawless iv in all with an exception in HP. 15-17 IVs in HP
252SA/252SP/4HP

Volt switch
Thunderbolt
shadow ball
Roar? ----Not quite sure what to have right here

2. Gyarados @ leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant
Flawless in all IV except SA. 21-25 in SA
252A/252SP/4 HP
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang/stone edge? ---------Still not sure what to put in for the 4th attack

3. Arcanine life orb/expert belt
flash fire
Adamant
Flawless in all IVs except SD. Not sure of SD IV yet
72HP, 252A, 180 Spe

Flare Blitz
extreme speed
wild charge
close combat

4. Forretress rocky helment
Sturdy
relaxed
252HP/252D/4SD

Stealth rock/spikes -------which one?
rapid spin
Earthquake
volt switch/gyro ball

5. Florges leftovers
Calm
252HP/252sd/4SA

wish
moonblast
energy ball
toxic/aromatheropy

6. Still in search for a 6th man

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
This is what I have so far.
A special thanks to Platinum and Batty.

1. Jolteon life orb
timid feet
Timid
flawless iv in all with an exception in HP. 15-17 IVs in HP
252SA/252SP/4HP

Volt switch
Thunderbolt
shadow ball
Roar? ----Not quite sure what to have right here

2. Gyarados @ leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant
Flawless in all IV except SA. 21-25 in SA
252A/252SP/4 HP
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang/stone edge? ---------Still not sure what to put in for the 4th attack

3. Arcanine life orb/expert belt
flash fire
Adamant
Flawless in all IVs except SD. Not sure of SD IV yet
72HP, 252A, 180 Spe

Flare Blitz
extreme speed
wild charge
close combat

4. Forretress rocky helment
Sturdy
relaxed
252HP/252D/4SD

Stealth rock/spikes -------which one?
rapid spin
Earthquake
volt switch/gyro ball

5. Florges leftovers
Calm
252HP/252sd/4SA

wish
moonblast
energy ball
toxic/aromatheropy

6. Still in search for a 6th man
Quick Feet is useless on something as fast as Jolteon. Stick with Volt Absorb.

Forretress should use Leftovers, as it lacks recovery otherwise.

Use Protect over Energy Ball on Florges, since it helps it get the Wish recovery itself.

Wash Rotom can be a good fit on the team. While it shares types with Jolteon and Gyarados, it has completely different weaknesses than the both of them. It also burns opponents that would prey on Florges' weaker Defense:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Rest
Nature: Bold
Item: Chesto Berry

or
-Volt Switch
-Discharge
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Modest
EVs: 232 HP/56 SAtk/220 Spe
Item: Assault Vest

or
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Trick/Thunderbolt
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013

Use Protect over Energy Ball on Florges, since it helps it get the Wish recovery itself.

Wash Rotom can be a good fit on the team. While it shares types with Jolteon and Gyarados, it has completely different weaknesses than the both of them. It also burns opponents that would prey on Florges' weaker Defense:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Rest

or
-Volt Switch
-Discharge
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)

or
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Trick/Thunderbolt

my hidden power for jolteon is either dark or dragon i think

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
I agree with Rotom-W being a good addition to the team.

This might come down to personl preference, but i do like Blaziken over Arcanine here. It can easily outspeed many other guys that it needs to via Speed Boost.

The set for Blaziken i've had some success with is:

@ life orb
Speed Boost
Jolly

hi Jump Kick/Sky Uppercut
rock slide/ Stone Edge
Flare Blitz
Protect

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
I agree with Rotom-W being a good addition to the team.

This might come down to personl preference, but i do like Blaziken over Arcanine here. It can easily outspeed many other guys that it needs to via Speed Boost.

The set for Blaziken i've had some success with is:

@ life orb
Speed Boost
Jolly

hi Jump Kick/Sky Uppercut
rock slide/ Stone Edge
Flare Blitz
Protect

I think that I will go with Rotom-w
Thank you guys alot!

and Im going to try to have success with arcanine just becuase hes my favorite pokemon and then if there isnt much success for him then ill use Blaziken. I have already considered that.

-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Rest

or
-Volt Switch
-Discharge
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)

or
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Trick/Thunderbolt

Which rotom would be better for my team? I'm thinking the one with bold nature?

Last edited:
Back