• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
1. Add in the Panning
2. Complete HP bar
3. Do text strings
4. Insert trainers into battle
5. # of pokemon
6. Finish coding on item system
7. Make switches or something to distunguish between using items in-battle and outof-battle
1) The hardest part of this will be finding the spare picture #'s
2) It seemed to be working fine in the last demo. Do you mean for the enemy?
3) It can be a pain in the [beep] to go through everything, I know. It's best to start early than have to do it all before official release.
4) Shouldn't have to worry about this until everything's all set for the wild battles

Does the timing and everything seem okay with the pan? I tried to match it to the music, but it was hard. And sorry for making it FR/LG style. Shouldn't be too hard to change though.

Years
I think I will have to change the music anyway..
I got the pictures and timing right so I will just leave the graphics.. Do you want the pokemon to come out at the same time as the grass?
The graphics aren't really important because it is just grass..

Yes I mean HP bar for enemy.. I still have to make the name & HP appear and everything...

I have found a big glitch in the battle system that needs attending to... It will help with the pokemon switching part of the battle.. Like XP at the end and stuff..

Years
Hey..
I have added music to the battle and it sounds really cool! I have also fixed up various parts of the battle and I am still working on that glitch...
Oh and the new HP bar is almost finished.. Just gotta fix up some lag...

Years
No problems Phoenix :P
I think I have done the HP bar fully now... There was a wierd glitch with it where it kept attacking even though the other pokemon was dead... I am pretty sure I have fixed it now.. I will test it more tomorrow.. Need sleep now :sleeping:zzzzz
Oh yeah, the HP bar is now lag free and counts down the HP 1 by 1 instead of taking huge chunks out of it..

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Great! More updates! It's always fun to see updates. Especially after rugby.
Wonder if I can do anything to help?

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
So I assume these systems like the item, battle, and other systems will be finished by the end of the year? At the current progress, from what I can tell, it sounds like it. It's like a Christmas present. XP

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
Years
Yea! Only this one you can't wrap up and slap a ribbon on it. Keep it up guys you're doing great!

Years
I haven't been able to test it anymore than last time... I have been pretty obsessed with Multi-Theft-Auto... I will get around to it.. My head still hurts from last time I tackled it :P
Thx for all positive comments :D Helps keep this project alive

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2014
This is getting really good, good job Krazy, I can't wait to see wat you have done with the cbs and my item system, good job!!!

Years
No problems Mena.
And everyone, Mena coded the basics of the item system for me which I am very thankfull of :) now it's a team effort.
Uh Daegon there is something that you could help me with... For the HP-decreaser.. In battle when the enemy loses life it's all good and decreases the life 1-by-1 but if you deliver a K.O. hit then the HP hangs for a few seconds and shoots to zero... I have tried everything to fix it.
It uses pictures to represent HP and variables to change which pictures are being shown.. I have tried a little move picture command at the bottom with the halt other processes box ticked.. but it does nothing.. I have minus-ing the HP variable to make the pictures show but still nothing... I even put another show picture command somewhere else but it waited for the HP variable to reach 0 before it showed.. I don't think I can fix this.

Years
Don't worry I fixed it.. I just tricked the computer into thinking that the enemy pokemon was still on 1 HP...

Anyway I fixed the other bug in the battle where you kept attacking the enemy... Umm.. I think it's about time for a new priority list :)
1. Do text strings
2. Insert coding for trainers into battle
3. # of pokemon for trainers
4. Finish coding on item system
5. Make switches or something to distunguish between using items in-battle and out-of-battle
Hmmm... Well I think I've earned myself a good night's drinking.. See you all later :P

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Those are extremely fast updates. I've just finshed playing basketball and have decided
to do some work. Once again, nice work Krazy.

Years
I'm on fire tonight Daegon!
Finished text strings already... I think... List is a follows:
1. Insert coding for trainers into battle
2. # of pokemon for trainers
3. Finish coding on item system
4. Make switches or something to distunguish between using items in-battle and out-of-battle
5. Pokemon selection.. I knew I would remember it :D

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
5. Pokemon selection..
Gah, this is my bane, the source of all my misery :(

If you still want me to do it, I'm game, but it's not my preference. I feel happy now that I contributed to the actual CBS with the pan, so I feel as if some of my obligation is filled.

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I hope Krazy doesn't get himself worn out from so much computing.
GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I won't be on for the next 2~3 weeks or so starting
Monday.

DragonX

Creator of Rainbow Isles
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2005
I have an idea of how to create the pokemon selection screen, but it would involve about 35 different variables.

Ok, here goes, When you get a pokemon, and you have less than 6, to put it in your party, you would do something like this:

Conditional Branch:
If switch, PartyPkmn1 is ON:
Otherwise, set variables:
PartyPkmn1HP: Whatever
PartyPkmn1ATK: Whatever
PartyPkmn1DEF: Whatever
etc

Conditional Branch:
If switch, PartyPkmn2 is ON:
PartyPkmn2HP: Whatever
PartyPkmn2ATK: Whatever
PartyPkmn2DEF: Whatever
etc

Do this type thing for all six Pokemon. Then to switch pokemon, just exchange variables. Also, when you select a Pokemon, you trigger a switch like pokemon1switch ON, then when you choose the second one, for example if you're switching the first pokemon with the sixth one, then trigger the second switch pokemon2switch ON. Then you create a bunch of conditional branches:

Conditional Branch:
if pokemon1switch is ON then
Conditional Branch:
if pokemon1 switch is ON then:

Otherwise:
Conditional Branch:
if pokemon2 switch is ON then:
Make variables:
PartyPokemon1HP=Party Pokemon 2 HP (or whatever you do to swap variables)
do this for every stat

Etc all the way to the sixth pokemon.

I hope this helps if you were having trouble making the pokemon switching system. Otherwise, sorry for wasting bandwitch.

Years
DragonX said:
I have an idea of how to create the pokemon selection screen, but it would involve about 35 different variables.

Ok, here goes, When you get a pokemon, and you have less than 6, to put it in your party, you would do something like this:

Conditional Branch:
If switch, PartyPkmn1 is ON:
PartyPkmn1HP: Whatever
PartyPkmn1ATK: Whatever
PartyPkmn1DEF: Whatever
etc

Conditional Branch:
If switch, PartyPkmn2 is ON:
PartyPkmn2HP: Whatever
PartyPkmn2ATK: Whatever
PartyPkmn2DEF: Whatever
etc

Do this type thing for all six Pokemon. Then to switch pokemon, just exchange variables. Also, when you select a Pokemon, you trigger a switch like pokemon1switch ON, then when you choose the second one, for example if you're switching the first pokemon with the sixth one, then trigger the second switch pokemon2switch ON. Then you create a bunch of conditional branches:

Conditional Branch:
if pokemon1switch is ON then
Conditional Branch:
if pokemon1 switch is ON then:

Otherwise:
Conditional Branch:
if pokemon2 switch is ON then:
Make variables:
PartyPokemon1HP=Party Pokemon 2 HP (or whatever you do to swap variables)
do this for every stat

Etc all the way to the sixth pokemon.

I hope this helps if you were having trouble making the pokemon switching system. Otherwise, sorry for wasting bandwitch.
You very smart DragonX, I have pretty much the same thing planned. I already have like 80 variables for the pokemon stats etc. but I don't use switches.. Instead I made a variable for pokemon type.. which tells the battle which pokemon will be sent out.. I made a conditional branch which tells if there is a pokemon present instead of using switches.. I am pretty confident that I can use some of the PC storage coding for pokemon switching..
I am going to teleport to the pokemon selection screen and a simple bit of coding will tell the battle which pokemon has been selected to change and then in the battle I will make it read the new pokemon's variables and use them..
I have made battle variables to make it easy on myself..
current pokemon-->battle variables
Thats all I need to do..

Anyway... On the weekend I was drinking pretty heavily so as you can imagine I didn't do any work on the battle system...

I had it all done before I went out :P
Hehehe bet ya thought nothing got done... Well actually I have almost finished the trainers part of the battle.. I just have to turn off a few switches and thats about it! I have also done the # of pokemon thing :D
There are only a few variables concerned with trainers.. like 3 I think and a switch or two so it is pretty simple to change and muck about with..
Also... I have noticed a few people doing games where you get to be the evil team so I encorporated this into the battle.. There is a switch which lets you catch other trainer's current pokemon.. And a switch which lets you run away from trainer battles.. These can also be used as cheats or something I don't know.. I just thought it would be handy for certain people. Anyway
Once I have done a few more things then I can finish coding the item system *yay* and I will leave a few item events in the test map also... And when I get around to it... I will extend the CNS to the trainer's name as well.. Then I could do up a little trainers card to go with it..

I am not sure about a pokedex.. That's like the most complicated this in a pokemon game.. well not so much complicated but it is quite hard.. and very long...
When I get around to it, I am going to make my new game have a pokedex which already has all the pokemon programmed into it and when you get in a battle, if you haven't seen that pokemon before, the pokedex will give you stats and info on it.. Just like in the T.V. show :)
Ughhh thats a lot of typing

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Yeah, a lot of things.

I'd just like to remind you we have three other programmers enlisted for map events that may be willing to contribute to the battle system to ease the load on you. These people are Happy Gilmore, Lt.Surge, and jaz_jaz.

Also, just for a refresher, map design will be done by 2k3kid, phoenix, avatar, awkward silencer, and pokereaper. Chip/Charsets are going to be made by Daegon, Phoenix, Avatar, and Zephadus. The story is being created by omarfr. And right now Meerkat is the only one working on the CBS engine, along with myself if you can count my petty contributions.

A lot of these people have not been active. So if anyone would like to help by contributing, PM me with which position you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back