• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Android App Development

Migit78

Pokemon Master
Years
Hey everyone,

TLDR; - at the bottom

Sorry if I picked the wrong forum but really wasn't certain where to post.

I want to develop my own Pokedex app for my phone/tablet, I'm an avid pokemon collector in the games and would like a in-depth pokedex that functions as both a pokedex and a good way of keeping track of my collection.

So far I've found none that can really do this on the Google Play Store, so figure why not make my own and learn a new skill in the process.

However I've never codded before, most experience I've had is coping basic CSS sheets, reading through the code till I understood what was doing what, and then editing it to something more of my preference.

But even though there are some pokedex apps that have a majority of the features I'd like, pretty sure theres not a way that I can edit them to make my own, which means starting from scratch and needing to learn all the steps on my own.

So just wondering, is anyone here good with Android app development? How did you learn? What would recommend I look up, do, to commence this project?

Thanks, Migit.

TLDR; Want to develop a pokedex app on Android for my personal use and collection management, tips on how to learn/start this project.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Nintendo patrol and remove all Pokémon Apps made by other people in Google Play, examples: https://nolanlawson.com/2011/05/26/on-pokedroids-removal/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...droid_calculator_for_pokemon_go_removed_from/

I developed native Android Apps a long time ago (after some battle versus Android Layouts). The bests advices are: Use at least two emulators, a big one and a small one and make final tests on device before publishing it, try as many devices that you can. The demo project has nice source examples too.

Now I particularly prefer some cross-platforms solutions like PhoneGap, if, in future was necessary to port your app into another platforms.

Back