• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Studio Ghibli Thread.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Studioghibli.png

Wikipedia said:
Studio Ghibli, Inc. (株式会社スタジオジブリKabushiki-gaisha Sutajio Jiburi ) is a Japanese animation film studio based in Koganei, Tokyo, Japan.The studio is best known for its anime feature films. Studio Ghibli began in June 1985 after the success of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind with funding by Tokuma Shoten. The company's logo features the character Totoro (a large forest spirit) from Miyazaki's film My Neighbor Totoro. At one time the studio was based in Kichijōji, Musashino, Tokyo.

Studio Ghibli has produced seventeen feature films, beginning with Castle in the Sky in 1986. It was followed by Grave of the Fireflies (1988), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Howl's Moving Castle (2004), Tales from Earthsea (2006), Ponyo (2008), Arrietty (2010), and From Up on Poppy Hill (2011). Sixteen of the films received both critical and financial success, with the notable exception being Tales from Earthsea, which, in spite of its commercial success, achieved less critical praise than Ghibli's other productions. The studio has also produced several short films and television commercials, as well as Ocean Waves, a television film. Eight of Studio Ghibli's films are among the 15 highest-grossing anime films made in Japan, with Spirited Away being the highest, grossing over $274 million worldwide.

This is a general thread on Studio Ghibli. Since Studio Ghibli is a prominent and big part of anime/Japanese entertainment, I thought I make this thread for discussion. You can share your thoughts on Studio Ghibli as a whole or your favorite Ghibli film or even upcoming Studio Ghibli films.

Personally I love Studio Ghibli's films. The ones I've seen have such powerful, moving and heart-warming stories plus I love the animation style. The were the first anime films I've seen and by far my favorites come from them. I just love Hiyao Miyazaki's style the most and he inspires me as someone who draws mostly anime. My favorite is Spirited Away. It's just really touched me for some reason. The story was just wonderful and well-paced throughout. It was my first anime movie ever and it just moved me a ton and the artwork was beautiful. Some of my other favorites are also Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. What are your guy's favorite Studio Ghibli films? What do you guys think of Studio Ghibli films in general? Just discuss about them here.

Last edited:

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
I recently seen 'The cat returns' and I thurraly enjoyed it. But I do not seem interested in the rest of the collection. It is nice to see someone appicating the anime classics :)

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2021
I haven't seen too many of the Studio Ghibli films, but most of the ones I have watched, I loved! Probably the reason I like them so much is that a lot of them are very laid back and more "normal" than most other anime films and shows. They just seem so 'real'.
It's hard to decide on a favorite, especially having not seen all of them, but if I had to choose, I'd probably choose Spirited Away or Kiki's Delivery Service.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I love Ghibli. It's one of the most influential studios in anime world and anything they produce is fantastic...
I'm a big fan of Miyazaki-san's movies. They always have something that differs them from the other movies.

Skalla

Drama Queen
Years
I haven't seen much from this Studio, but from what I've seen I'd say they've left an amazing impression on me. I've seen Spirited Away, their "The Borrowers" adaptation and Kiki's Delivery service. I loved em' all!

Years
I've seen all their movies and own most of them on Blu-ray. I guess you could say I'm a fan. :p

Their movies have a lot of things I really like in the movies I watch: beautiful art, heartfelt stories, and flights of imagination. There's a lot of dedication and love put into these movies, and I don't want to dig at other studios and their work, but I don't think anyone else quite compares to the level of care that goes into a Studio Ghibli movie.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I recently seen 'The cat returns' and I thurraly enjoyed it. But I do not seem interested in the rest of the collection. It is nice to see someone appicating the anime classics :)
I've never heard of The Cats Return honestly. I actually really only have seen a few Ghibli films, but the one I have seen took me away. I really wanted to see The Secret World of Arriety when the English dub was in theaters, but I never got the chance too.

I've seen all their movies and own most of them on Blu-ray. I guess you could say I'm a fan. :p

Their movies have a lot of things I really like in the movies I watch: beautiful art, heartfelt stories, and flights of imagination. There's a lot of dedication and love put into these movies, and I don't want to dig at other studios and their work, but I don't think anyone else quite compares to the level of care that goes into a Studio Ghibli movie.

I agree. A lot of of the other studio do make great animated films too, but nothing compares to the spectacular works Studio Ghibli makes.

Anyone see From Up on Poppy Hill yet? I actually just heard about it and it's been in North American theaters since March. I want to see it though there isn't any theater's close by that are showing it near my city. The closest one showing it is a theater in Chicago. :(

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I like how The Cat Returns is a cross-over of Whisper of the Heart. Kitty <3

Favourite film is Princess Mononoke, then Spirited Away, then Laputa: Castle in the Sky. I liked Kiki's Delivery Service, too, but the weird thing is that I knew the whole plot and could describe the characters of the movie.... Before I even ever saw it. The same happened with a Robert Munsch book called "Zoom" (based on an old friend of mine, Loretta, in grade school). Before it even came out, I could tell you what the story was about. I don't know how, but for both it was major deja-vu and w-t-f-.

I also enjoyed The Borrowers and Tales from Earthsea. I love all of Ghibli's movies lol although Grave of the Firefly was so sad.

Princess Mononoke is the strongest film with the best real-life moral application. You can learn so much from that movie about respect for life, nature and the environment, and how humans affect the world around them. You see different human natures based on ambition and greed. It truly is a masterpiece.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I ADORE all Studio Ghibli films ;u;

I recently got Kiki's Delivery Service to watch on my PS3 (I've never seen it before, my first Studio Ghibli film was Spirited Away and I've seen most of the films since Princess Mononoke).

I watched My Neighbor Totoro with my boyfriend but we weren't really paying much attention to the movie, so I plan on having a little old-school Ghibli night sometime soon and watch My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I might go full-on otaku and make myself some ramen or something to eat with chopsticks while I watch them, hehe :p

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
My Neighbour Totoro is a good example of a movie that's successful but bears little to no plot. It's literally two girls running around like nutballs for thirty minutes, then one girl wanders off to give her sick mother something at the hospital, and then they go home lol

But like I said, successful. I loved the movie myself; so kiddy yet <3

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I agree. A lot of of the other studio do make great animated films too, but nothing compares to the spectacular works Studio Ghibli makes.
MADHOUSE, man, MADHOUSE ;)

Princess Mononoke is the strongest film with the best real-life moral application. You can learn so much from that movie about respect for life, nature and the environment, and how humans affect the world around them. You see different human natures based on ambition and greed. It truly is a masterpiece.
^This

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Kiki's Delivery Service is my favourite film ever, including live action stuff.

Grave of the Fireflies a close second.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Spirited Away > Kiki's Delivery Service > The Cat Returns > My Neighbour Totoro > Grave of the Fireflies > Porco Rosso > From Up on Poppy Hill > Arrietty > Princess Mononoke > How's Moving Castle > Ponyo > Castle in the Sky > Ocean Waves

The rest I haven't seen, unfortunately. But, having said that, the only ones I actively dislike are the final three. All of the others are all kinds of magical and mystical and wonderful. I watched Spirited Away last week and was all kinds of enthralled and entranced and everything. Just absolutely amazing.

Years
I wish I could order my favorites like you did, Mr Dog, but I don't think I could pick a single favorite. I love Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso so much. Anyway, here's an attempt:

Top Favorites:
- Porco Rosso
- Whisper of the Heart
- Howl's Moving Castle

Almost Top Favorites:
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (I know it's not technically Ghibli, but I count it in.)
- Grave of the Fireflies
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns

Really Like:
- Castle in the Sky
- Princess Mononoke
- Ponyo
- Arrietty
- From Up on Poppy Hill (I think I could really grow to like this film more, but for now it's going here.)

Still Good Movies:
- Pom Poko

Dislike:
- Tales from Earthsea

I'm leaving out Only Yesterday because I can't really remember it. It was a long time ago that I saw it.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
I was introduced to Studio Ghibili films years ago when Toonami did something like "Month of Miyazaki". I instantly fell in love with most of the films. Princess Mononoke is probably my favorite. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are up there also.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm leaving out Only Yesterday because I can't really remember it. It was a long time ago that I saw it.

You didn't watch it... only yesterday? ;D???

and so many people with Princess Mononoke low on their lists! It was easily the best, followed by Spirited Away. The story was much more enthralling and engaging. The characters were charming and the story itself was so memorable.

I watched it when I was eight or nine. We had rented it from a now-closed movie store and I absolutely adored it. For five years I asked my dad, "What was that movie? With the wolf girl? And the deer god that has its head cut off?" and he didn't know what I was talking about. For a while, I thought I was nuts! Then I saw it at Blockbuster and I instantly knew that that... that was my love. My film! My Mononoke-hime!

<333 French lyrics are beautifullllll! and this woman's voice is chilling. So gorgeous.

WATCH IT, GHIBLI MINIONS, AND BE BLESSED BY YOUR LORD MIYAZAKI.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm lame, because my favorites are the well-known ones, such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Those two are gems of my childhood, as the latter was one of the first animated films I was ever shown, and I fell in love with it right away. I still watch Spirited Away pretty often. It's the perfect movie; I have absolutely no qualms with it, never have, never will! It's so mystifying and sweet and heartfelt and <3

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Not really a fan of Miyazaki's movies, but I must say that I'm loving Takahata's movies. Maybe it's just because I'm not that much into fantasy movies, so I don't like/enjoy Chihiro or Laputa. I'm not calling them bad, just not my cup of tea. They still have high production values.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Spirited Away > Kiki's Delivery Service > The Cat Returns > My Neighbour Totoro > Grave of the Fireflies > Porco Rosso > From Up on Poppy Hill > Arrietty > Princess Mononoke > How's Moving Castle > Ponyo > Castle in the Sky > Ocean Waves

The rest I haven't seen, unfortunately. But, having said that, the only ones I actively dislike are the final three. All of the others are all kinds of magical and mystical and wonderful. I watched Spirited Away last week and was all kinds of enthralled and entranced and everything. Just absolutely amazing.

Watch Only Yesterday, it's brilliant.

But then again I really liked Ocean Waves so what do I know.

Love almost all of them; Earthsea, Ponyo, Pom Poko and Yamadas are the only ones you can afford to miss.

Back