• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas.

That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.

Yeh, I thought that it might be due to the high amount of other data cutting down on the graphical capabilities.

We also have to keep in mind that they are only demos, as far as we are aware, so they could have cleaned it up by release.​

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
They sort of did that already for the Pokemon Ranger games, in which it wasn't bad! I'd be on board with that for a change~ But I dunno, from the trailer, it doesn't look like it changed; except for the encounter intro.

But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.

But it was an non-random-encounter sort of pokemon game, so it was hopeful that they might of done the same for this game. D= Still, there's still no reason that this sort of style can play onto the rarity of pokemon; I dunno, the could of set it so that there is still a 'chance' that you might encounter a rare pokemon, or even a shiny pokemon. Eh.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The same system that gave us these?
Spoiler:

Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.

This! I feel like the 3Ds can really push it. I could understand though, not making the quality too high because that means TONS of work for the animators! I see how this could've affected them trying to find a middle ground between 3D and 2D. Think Crystal for gbc I guess!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Personally I would love if they had somewhere between 120 and 150 new pokemon. (maybe around 130 like with Hoenn) Then on top of that 100 old pokemon....

However the twist is that those 100 old pokemon are completely different depending on the version you play. Which would make for a total of approximately 220-250 pokemon in each version and 320-350 between both versions. I think it would be exciting to have a big pokedex plus such a large amount of exclusives. Bigger and bolder than ever with the jump to the 3DS! :D

(I do hope they add more than they added to the second and fourth gens, it's surprising but I do feel the extra 20-30 or so pokemon add a lot to the experience.)

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Of course this is announced within a month of me selling my 3DS..

Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

And not to be "that guy", but I suppose this is where hacking ends?

droomph

weeb
Years
You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.

Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

For the poor people, at least.

If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

As someone in another thread said, if people have managed to hack the Wii, I'm sure it's a matter of time before they hack the 3DS too.

Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.

That's an interesting thought and actually makes a lot of sense.

blue

gucci
Years
I think it will take some time to hack the 3DS, I've read that it's much more difficult to hack than the DS.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.

For the poor people, at least.

If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!

Time now to develop pokemon for iOS and Android am I right? Hahaha!

I know nothing about hacking..

And I like the chubby sprites too! That's why the original pikachu sprite was the best! SO CHUBBY AND CUTE!

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas. If there were loading times between areas, I would be appalled and it would be a massive change from past Pokemon games.

No way. 3DS cartridges have a maximum capacity of 4GB. Take a look at Resident Evil Revelations. It's a 4GB 3DS game, amazing and (allow me to say) flawless graphics. And the online works perfectly btw.

And of course the world won't be connected. In fact, it's never been. You just don't notice because when you're going on a different route you walk inside this:

creyh.jpg

And with this 3D game we might even have load times between routes (unlike current games).

That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.

I agree with that, but they should stop doing that.

blue

gucci
Years
They're still in the Beta stages so I'm sure they will sort those problems out before release, there's never really been problems in terms of lagging in battle before and this is similar to the GBC > GBA switch up in a way.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Well I think the simple screen wipes back in the first few gens took care of the loading times and didn't make you notice them as much.. but.. hmm I wonder. I am hoping that they'll optimize it well! I have faith that they will do it properly!

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Oh god loading times between each battle.. that's gonna be atrocious.. @___@ Hopefully it doesn't lag too hard..

Although Pokemon Revolution it's not a good example (because there's nothing to load after battles), there weren't loading times troubles as far as I remember.

Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD should be actually good examples. I found them good at loading times. (And they were good 3Dly speaking xD).

Years
This announcement came as a surprise to me. Me and a friend were thinking that this announcement would just be a remake of a generation, and not a whole new generation! However, I must say, I am impressed that Game Freak is deciding on a worldwide release.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Any word on Pokémon Z yet?

Blank stares.

What? It makes sense, doesn't it? :P

Seriously, are these the names they plan to use? Unown comes to mind...

Cyclone

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
I'm not sure if anybody has talked about this yet, but about 26 seconds into the trailer, the Protagonist seems to be on Roller Skates. I think that's super interesting!

Dalek_Kabu

Resident Fossil
Years
yeah looks like skates instead of running shoes this time around itll be kinda cool to see it its about time pokemon gets a worldwide release instead of a year or more after japan gets it everyone else does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back