• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: ROM hacking contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Yo, dear romhackers on the Pokécommunity!

As you know, there is a HOTM and HOTY.
I've only seen this "awards" so far, but no actual hacking contest.
My idea was hosting a hacking contest, where a team of 2-3 people
build a short hack with 1-2 cities (contest should take only max. 2 months).
(teams of 2-3 post and register in a kind of "register" thread)

The advantages is 1) for sure having fun while doing this and these hacks
could be (after the contest) done further to release a nice playable beta.
Secondly, the users get known to each other and its fun to fight as a team of 2 or 3
against others in romhacking. And of course, we learn all from each other at such a contest!

I considered also a voting system which has a total points to reach for each area.

~Mapping [max 10 pts]
~Spriting [max 10 pts]
~Scripting [max 10 pts]
~Music hacking [max 15 pts]
~ASM [max 15 pts]

ASM and music hacking have, of course, more points because they are harder and
they are considered as the "real hacking".
And for each MAJOR bug there's some points loss at the total score.

The finished .ips will be either sent to me or to a co-host, because I may want to
take part by myself ;)

This thread was done fast, I will give details later, however.
Answer some questions below please :)

• What do you think, as normal user, about this?
  • Would you take part?
  • Do you see any disadvantages?
  • Would you prefer a jury or a public vote?
    (public vote would be sending me or my co-host a PM with the points for each hack)
  • Do the mods have no problem in me hosting the contest?
Thanks for reading and I hope I can one time host such an interesting contest!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
If we had an issue with this contest, we would not have approved the thread.:) I like the idea.

Just another idea:
-There should also be a tiny bug counter that doesn't detract from your score, but if two hacks are tied, or really close, it can come down to how meticulous the hacker was with making sure there weren't any oddities like walking under a chair.

This could be fun and it would be a great way to showcase a beginning hack and get people interested.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I like this idea and it would nice to see how people would go through with this. Maybe I glanced too much over the post so there won't be any award at all? This is strictly for fun right?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I don't like the ASM part though. Not everyone knows how to ASM hack (actually, only a few actually do). I think if there was ASM hacking, voters I guess could throw in a few extra points, but it shouldn't be considered a huge part of the voting process or else whoever knows how to do it will just make their hack a huge ASM hack and rake in a million points O_o.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
You are right, CrystalStatic.
I must change the point-system, because I find, like you, that this contest
should be a fun contest, for every normal user having a chance to win.
Or at least, I should implement an "extra point" which has 5 points max. and
is for special things like ASM, music, or other nice stuff.

Okay.. I think if we optimize the concept with every suggestion of users who post
here, we will be fine and everyone is happy when we are actually having that contest ;)

@lepug
We could make something like a banner for the winners and our famebtches :3
I would actually give everyone, who participated, a banner.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think that maybe judging should be based on separate categories instead of having them all grouped together. That way it's more fair to people who aren't skilled in certain parts of the contest (for example very few people here can compose music and write ASM). A jury would also be much better in my opinion. They'd have a lot more knowledge about creating hacks and would likely be less biased.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Okay crunch.
Could you probably list the separate categories up for me?

About the jury: I'm not sure about this one, though.
Its for sure better for the contest itself, as its guaranteed that the hacks
actually get tested and voted, but I'm not sure whether the participant likes it that way..

I must open a poll, more or less. Hmm how to do it in this forum?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Well I was thinking we could maybe use categories similar to yours with some modifications:

• Mapping & Environments
  • Design & Creativity
  • Scripting & Code
  • Others (Music, ASM, etc)
And those could possibly be broken up into even smaller categories, for example mapping & Environments could be:

• Playability
  • Aesthetics
  • Design\Layout
Points would be awarded for those 3, combined and the highest score could win the Mapping & Environment category.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
What do you think about implementing a kind of fun factor?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
That could be good as well, but it wouldn't be as easy to judge.

• Gameplay and Polish?

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Polish could be misunderstood hahaha :'D (Especially for me, as bad english speaker)

Gameplay is a good idea and should, imo, be on the main categories!
The only problem is that you cant really have subcategories on Gameplay.

What about this, then?

• Gameplay & Playability
  • Mapping & Environments
  • Design & Creativity
  • Scripting & Code
  • Others (Music, ASM, etc)
With playability we actually have "bugs" included.
Could be easy this way for the judges.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I don't think subcategories for gameplay would be too hard.

• Polish
  • Balancing
  • Fun/Enjoyability
  • Bugs

Up to you though. Even if you don't like using subcategories as an "official" way to vote, it could just be used for guidelines on voting.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Im trying to find subcategories, that are easy to vote for.
However, I think we need other users opinions to find the best middle way :)

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
For me, even 10-15 teams would be enough for a nice, little contest..

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
EDIT: Here is what I understand so far about the categories:

Gameplay & Playability
- Polish
- Balancing
- Fun/Enjoyability
- Bugs
Mapping & Environments
Design & Creativity
Scripting & Code
Others (Music, ASM, etc)

Here's what I think so far:

Gameplay & Playability
- Difficulty Balancing (Not too easy to make it boring, but also not too hard to the point where the game becomes frustrating and not fun)
- Comprehension [Can't think of a better name] (Player is able to figure out what to do and not get majorly lost throughout the game)
- Bugs (These wouldn't necessarily take points off, but if the bug effects gameplay or playability, then maybe a point or two could be abducted)
- Enjoyment (Basically, after the player finishes the game, he/she should have satisfaction for beating it and not think it was a waste of time)
Mapping & Environments
- Tile Errors (Self-explanatory. Shouldn't abduct points unless the error is very unappealing/very noticeable to the player)
- Beauty/Intensity (Map is created with a lot of detail and doesn't have many dull/boring/"flat with nothing on it" areas)
- Cohesiveness (The tiles that are used work well together, such as green scenery in a summer-themed area)
Uniqueness & Creativity
NOTE: This one was changed from design to uniqueness because design is kind of a duplicate of the previous category.
- Memorable (Makes a lasting impression on the player and is a memorable experience)
- Flavor [Not sure on sub-category's name] (Has certain aspects to the game, such as seasons, that make it's creativity level increase)
- Specialties (This would give the hack a couple extra points if the hack has some unique aspects to it that not many other {or any other} hack(s) have)
Scripting & Code
- Complexity (Scripts are well-thought out and have a sort of in-depth feel to them)
Not sure what else to put here...
Others {These are just extra points and don't deduct}
- Music (If the hack introduces any new music that sounds neatly inserted and good)
- ASM (If any helpful/neat ASM hacking has been done to make the game a more enjoyable experience as a whole)
- Extra Graphics (This covers spriting, titlescreen, tile insertion, etc. Again, it would have to look good and make the game more enjoyable in order to give points)
NOTE: Points should not be givin out just because one of these things are done. In order for teams to get points for these extra things, the stuff added has to make the game a more enjoyable experience as a whole to the player.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? This is just what I thought of and I also didn't incorporate exactly how many points each category would be worth.

Last edited:

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Hey Crystal, thanks for your great reply :)
I'm sorry I'm writing back so late, I was focusing on my scripting engine.

I really like the ideas, although..

Difficulty Balancing
&
Complexity

In my opinion, difficulty is much affected by the player's flavor, not to
forget that its 1/4 of the mapping points..

For the complexity thing, I think the most people believe that simplicity is the best.
I won't make such a point though, I'd rather insert a smoothness point if you know what i mean..

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I do think you have a point there. I guess some of the sub-categories can be opinionated, so I guess we will have to make them work as best as we can. If you (or anyone) can think of a Scripting & Code sub-category that works, or anything else, please say so!

Also, I think the prizes need to be rethought. A banner alone for winning the contest (or a certain place like 2nd) would definitely be cool to have, but I don't think that's really worth the effort. Maybe a mod could pitch in some ideas that are only possible through mod powers?

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
I don't think I have the worst contacts to the mods here, I will try what I can do ;)
However, I will tomorrow post something for Scripting & Code :)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I think this contest idea is excellent and will be pretty fun once it gets off the ground. Its sort of a reverse of what generally happens, in that hacks are being made for an award, rather than an award being made for already established hacks. People can show a lot of small-scale creativity and take risks when doing small projects like where they're not tied down to a massive project. I'd love to join once it begins in earnest.

Maybe a mod could pitch in some ideas that are only possible through mod powers?

The first thing that came to my mind is awarding an emblem. We can also offer a one-off custom usertitle (bolded, different colours etc) as a prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back