• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't know. I can see the challenge in using Pokemon that are in the regional dex, but not introduced in that generation (ex. Using Bellossom and Girafarig in Emerald) and that would be neat, but using Pokemon that aren't in the regional dex at all would just mean trading in a team of whoever you want that's from another regional dex and I don't see the challenge in that. I mean, you end up having to do that for the Random challenge or Favorite challenge, only this one would let you pick what you have. idk. It just doesn't seem that interesting. Like I said, using Pokemon in a game of the gen they weren't introduced in would be okay, like Johto Pokemon in Hoenn, but eh.

I'm a bit scatter brained right now, sorry lol. Someone else might be able to pick up on something I'm not getting. I'm trying to clean up my room rn though so...

Years
@Sydian - I didn't mean to imply that they had to be traded in. It makes sense to me for people to be able to use anything they can catch as long as it fits the requirements of the challenge. I may write it up later and just see how it goes.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The way you worded it made it seem like you would have to trade/hack in your Pokemon. You said use Pokemon that are in another game's regional dex, so that would mean having to trade them in. Or did you mean Pokemon that are in the region and are also a part of another regional dex? lol I really don't get what you're trying to say.

Years
I mean you could trade in and capture from the game you are in as long as the pokemon on your team are found in another regions regional dex.

For example in B/W2 you could use a Growlithe or Magnemite because they are originally from the Kanto dex but you could also trade in something not in the regional dex of Unova at all.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
So, so, you could use a Slugma in an HG playthrough because it's also in the Hoenn regional 'dex? :D
lol no sorry i'm being an ass. or is that actually what you mean

So basically what you're saying is that you'd be playing though with Pokémon not introduced in the region your game is set in. But if that's the case, where do you stand on multi-generational Pokémon evolution families? Let's say you're playing Heart Gold and you trade in an Elekid egg. Are you allowed to use that, or must you begin with an Eletabuzz? What if you're playing Platinum- are you allowed to full evolve it to Electivire, or do you have to keep it as an Electabuzz? Are you allowed to use a Pokémon even if its final form doesn't meet the requirements? Are you allowed to use it if one of its forms don't meet the requirements? What's the deal on that?

Last edited:
Years
@Anna - Well at the first thing, yes exactly. As for your second point, well it makes a lot of sense and I hadn't really thought about that. I'd suggest that you probably wouldn't be able to use Electivire but maybe I'd make an allowance for a later introduced prevolution. What do you think?

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
For GBA games this sounds a bit too much of work. Mainly because on both FR/LG and R/S/E games the other region pokemon (and even then only a handful) would become available. Not everyone has GBA or link cables. =( Nor the will to play on an emulator.

Simplest example would be on Fire Red (first thing that came to mind)

• I'd want to use a Murkrow, just a simple Murkrow.
  • But since I play on cartridge and on a DS, I can't hack or trade it in. =(
  • Murkrows are available in the game, but only at Lost Cave, which is post-game I think
  • They are from JDex originally(johto region pokedex). Although even on GSC you could get murkrow only once you got to Kanto, but that's a whole different thing...

Or am I understanding this wrong?

Years
Nah, you pretty much have it. I figure that there are other options and if anyone does want to do it then they can either head to the trade centre, play a different game or use a Emulator/ROM. Honestly it is just an experiment and I'm just gonna see where it goes.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
So wait. You really can use almost anything in the Kanto 'dex since they're all in Johto's regional 'dex, and therefore you can just do a normal playthrough on any Kanto game? That's weird though. And not particularly challenging.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Okok I'm 99% sure I get this and you guys aren't.

Pokemon you can use in RBYFRLG: None until you beat the game or trade/hack someone in
Pokemon you can use in GSCHGSS: Any of the original 151 Pokemon that appear in your game. So, Pidgey, Rattata, Geodude, Jigglypuff, Bellsprout, etc. Or trade/hack someone in.
Pokemon you can use in RSE: Any of the original 251 Pokemon that appear in your game. So Tentacool, Geodude, Zubat, Slugma, etc.

Like that. Honestly, I'd say if you are playing in Red/Blue, you can only use Pokemon that get new evolutions in later games. So like Poliwhirl (but not Wrath), Mr. Mime, Scyther, etc.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Er, yeah, I got that. There were just things that needed straightening out and clarification if it was to become a challenge. Which it has. So it's fine.

And idk I might do that one. Not sure what game I have open... not Emerald, I'm doing things on that, Pearl is storage, HG has got a challenge on, Black has got a challenge on... idfk what's happening on Platinum. I think there's a dumb Flareon that won't listen to me and kill Gardenia. Maybe I'll do it on Platinum. But not till after I've finished the two challenges I'm doing probably because wow two is enough. :|

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Two is definitely enough. I've started to limit myself to two and it's helped a lot. I don't feel overwhelmed anymore and it gives me the chance to clear off some games, like White 2, for more challenges after these two. Plus it gives me more motivation to finish so that I can start on something new.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I can see that. I have bunches of games that I just ignore for months in favour of Emerald and whatever is in the DS game slot. It is nice for me at least to have two things going though because then I don't get bogged down in something tedious. Like motherfrickin Azalea Town on my Clay run. Thank god I had Dent going on Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back