• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby Team

AngyMaster

Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
Hi I've just started playing pokemon ruby and this is my current team:Marshtomp-Tackle,Bide,Water Gun,Mud Shot;Swellow:Double Team,Steel Wing,Wing Attack,Quick Attack;Vigoroth: Scratch,Yawn,Fury Swipes,Slack Off;Nincada-For Cut and Flash.
I am actually at the 3 gym at Wattson.What should I add to my team,a fighting type,etc...?

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
Years
A fighting type would work well against Wattson since he has one Magnemite and a Magneton. However, you already have your Marshtomp, which is part Ground-type, this gym should not be a problem for you. :)
But since you are close to the Fiery path after this gym, I would get a Fire-type for long-term. I recommend Numel. It is a part Ground-type so you can counter the gym leader after Wattson, Flannery.
You could also get a Magnemite or Voltorb later on when New Mauvile opens up, which is after you beat Norman. Either one will be a good addition to the team, espcially against Winona and Wallace later on.
I hope this helps! ^^

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Looking ahead to end-game, here is my humble suggestion for a team that will cover all of your bases for the E4, working in who you already have on your team :)

Spr_3r_260.png

Swampert:
-Surf
-Earthquake
-Really, anything you want for the other two slots

Spr_3r_289.png

Slaking:
-Hyper Beam (you're going to be resting every other team, anyways, right? : P)
-Shadow Ball (Ghost is physical in this gen, and Ghost-type mons won't be able to hit back :P)
-Yawn
-Again, anything that you want

Spr_3r_277.png

Swellow
-Aerial Ace
-Return/Secret Power
-Double Team
-Steel Wing/Fly (if you don't want to carry around an HM slave for it)

For fighting types I'll give you some options: Medicham or Hariyama. Meditites are only obtainable about 3/4 of the way through the game, so you might not want to wait that long. Hariyama's a great early alternative.

Spr_3r_308.png

Medicham:
-Hi Jump Kick
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch (from Move Relearner)

or

Spr_3r_297.png

Hariyama:
-Brick Break
-Seismic Toss
-Fake Out
-Bulk Up

Rest of the team:

Spr_3r_082.png

Magneton (New Mauville):
-Thunderbolt
-Tri-Attack
-Thunder Wave
-Anything

Spr_3r_365.png

Walrein (Spheal found in Shoal Cave):
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Encore

Also, in my opinion, it might be best to just drop Vigoroth/Slaking, as it is IMHO just excess weight. If you decide to do that, I would go with Manectric over Magneton, as it has access to Bite to take care of Pheobe. My Manectric set:

Spr_3r_310.png

Manectric:
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Bite
-Anything

Last edited:
Back