• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate and help with my first OU 5th gen team

Years
Hello there. As the title suggests, i could use some help with this team I have. I can't say i am good at competitive battling yet, so i am bound to have made a lot of mistakes building this one:

rotom.png

Rotom W @ Choice Scarf
Timid | Levitate
Ev's: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moves:
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Trick
Hidden Power (Fire 70)

Due to Volt Switch and Choice Scarf (and the fact that it only has a weakness, i usually lead with this).
212.png

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant | Technician
EV's: 252 HP/ 40 Atk/ 216 SpD
Moves:
Roost
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite

Usually tries to set up and wreck frail threats with Bullet Punch
534.png

Conkeldurr
@ Leftovers
Adamant
| Guts
EV's: 120 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 136 SpD
Moves:
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Payback

Typical Conkeldurr, only change i am wondering is if Muscle Band would be better on this guy.
637.png

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Timid | Flame Body
EV's: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Moves:
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
Hidden Power (Rock 70)

Again, typical Volcarona. I chose Fiery dance over Fire Blast in this case due to the accuracy. One quiver dance makes Volcarona a very strong sweeper.
145.png

Zapdos Lvl 100 @ Leftovers
Timid | Pressure
EV's: 194 HP/ 64 Def/ 252 Spe
Moves:
Roost
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ice 70)

So far, this one has been doing a lot of dirty work. Stalling, scouting, hitting almost anything for super effective.
196.png

Espeon Lvl 100 @ Light Clay
Timid | Magic Bounce
Ev's: 252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moves:
Reflect
Light Screen
Psychic
Hidden Power (Fighting 70)

This one tries to guard volcarona from stealth rock, sets up appropriate barriers for Volcarona (Reflect), Scizor (depends), Conkeldurr (Light Screen) or Rotom W (depends, and not really needed) and lets them do the rest. HP Fighting hits Dark pokemon and helps with steel coverage too.

So, any suggestion on improving this team? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Typical Conkeldurr, only change i am wondering is if Muscle Band would be better on this guy.

No. Lefties.

Uhhh you should consider a CB Scizor with U-turn. Combined with Volt Switch + Rotom-W, you get a great combo that wears down on each other's counters (read: Scizor brings in Skarmory, Jellicent, etc who Rotom-W scare away with Volt Switch. Rotom-W brings in Grass-types, Blissey, etc who Scizor scares away with U-turn). It's a really neat and useful combination. Plus you kinda have Zapdos to handle Celebi more or less. You can consider Heat Wave somewhere on Zapdos too, over Sub and/or HP Ice.

Rain teams look really uhh tough to handle especially once Rotom-W goes down. I'd advise you looking for a second Water-resist. Notable ones are Ferrothorn and Starmie; Ferrothorn gives you some excellent resistances and durability whereas Starmie lets you spin for Ulgamoth in case they get rocks up and can abuse the rain wonderfully as well (and outspeed the genies who you seem to have some trouble with).

Years
Thanks a lot for your time, I am already considering what you said. U-turn on Scizor sounds very good. Indeed another counter vs a rain team sounds nice, rotom W and zapdos' thunderbolt wont cut it. I am considering changing espeon for a starmie like this now:

121.png

Starmie Lvl 100 @ Choice Specs
Timid | Natural Cure
Ev's: 254 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

It has the same stab as Espeon, it is water resistant and has thunderbolt. It outspeeds Genies. And packs a punch, too. Only bad thing is that i dont have anything vs entry hazards.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks a lot for your time, I am already considering what you said. U-turn on Scizor sounds very good. Indeed another counter vs a rain team sounds nice, rotom W and zapdos' thunderbolt wont cut it. I am considering changing espeon for a starmie like this now:

121.png

Starmie Lvl 100 @ Choice Specs
Timid | Natural Cure
Ev's: 254 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

It has the same stab as Espeon, it is water resistant and has thunderbolt. It outspeeds Genies. And packs a punch, too. Only bad thing is that i dont have anything vs entry hazards.
Starmie can learn Rapid Spin, but you'll have to drop Psychic for it since Water + Ice + Electric already provide good coverage and you'll have to change up the item to Leftovers or Life Orb. If you want to keep Specs, use Trick so that it can cripple walls with your Choice item or Psyshock if you want to have an easier time against Blissey.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I was wondering though: Isn't starmie a little fragile to be a rapid spinner?

No it isnt. 60/85/85 defences are actually pretty bulky when bulked up with evs. Usually though, offensive Rapid Spin Starmie is good as suggested as basically nothing can block its rapid spin because of the power it packs.

Years
Thank you all for your comments.

Fell free to suggest anything else that comes to mind. :)

Back