Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page [Developing] Pokémon: Lost Souls

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 16th, 2015 (10:36 PM).
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax
Looks good but like Saving Raven said fix the dirt patches. They look unappealing when they are just squares. Also I wouldn't use gen 3 OWs I would use gen 4 but your call.
Old February 18th, 2015 (12:13 PM). Edited February 18th, 2015 by carmaniac.
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
I can't tell what the map as a whole looks like, but you may want to cut back on the tall grass, it just seems like a lot in that screenshot, but I may be wrong when you consider the whole map. I love the detail to the tiles, and like the idea of using 3rd gen OW's in this kind of terrain, as its the most size proportionate (ie, mountains and trees are much larger than the OW's)
I would also stray away from making dirt patches square like that, since it's just kind of unappealing, but that's a personal preference I suppose.

I love the look though, it's great. Welcome back to game dev! You still have your great skills despite your time away, I can't wait to see more from you!
Thanks for the tips there as all of it does help, I'm not sure on overworld sprites yet for characters I'm sort of tempted on making them a little bit bigger than Gen 3 but under 4 just for a little bit more details here and there. The part of the map right now is the most empty part which is why I've uploaded it, tall grass wise yes, does seem a bit much but in practice when running the game it seems sort of ok running through, but like you say it is a small part of the map as there are routes around the grass to deviate the player a bit to give some more interest when travelling. (mainly for those who don't like going through tall grass much)

@Florio Yeah still debating on size, like I say might go in the middle size and see how it looks.

In terms of updates, progress is slow, but I'm still working on the game just obviously fixing up the ideas and going to plan on re-doing the thread completely. Right now I'm working on spriting the second town which, giving a hint is a little logging town, but the question is if there's a gym leader there what is the type of pokemon going to be and just how strong?

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old February 18th, 2015 (12:33 PM). Edited February 18th, 2015 by Radical Raptr.
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Radical Raptr
Quote originally posted by carmaniac:
Thanks for the tips there as all of it does help, I'm not sure on overworld sprites yet for characters I'm sort of tempted on making them a little bit bigger than Gen 3 but under 4 just for a little bit more details here and there. The part of the map right now is the most empty part which is why I've uploaded it, tall grass wise yes, does seem a bit much but in practice when running the game it seems sort of ok running through, but like you say it is a small part of the map as there are routes around the grass to deviate the player a bit to give some more interest when travelling. (mainly for those who don't like going through tall grass much)

@Florio Yeah still debating on size, like I say might go in the middle size and see how it looks.

In terms of updates, progress is slow, but I'm still working on the game just obviously fixing up the ideas and going to plan on re-doing the thread completely. Right now I'm working on spriting the second town which, giving a hint is a little logging town, but the question is if there's a gym leader there what is the type of pokemon going to be and just how strong?
The mapping is fine overall, I'm sure the tall grass is adequate considering the whole route, but since theres a lot there, other areas should be considerate of on another - you don't want to overwhelm the player with so many unavoidable encounters, while at the same time, they shouldn't be able to walk right through quickly. You need to find a middle ground, but I'm sure you have this in mind so I'm just mentioning it so that you're thinking about it.

I like the idea of finding a "middle" sprite between gen 3 and 4, as gen 4 tend to be a bit awkward, while gen 3 tend to be small and pixel-y

As for the gym, if its a logging town, then good choices would be grass, water, bug or ground
Something troubling that comes with making a gym, is making it challenging, but fair. If it's the first gym, then there is a tendency to make it too easy, or alternatively making it "challenging" but forgetting to account for the fact that there is a limited source of pokemon within the first few areas, an therefore making viable teams are very difficult.

Sorry if I'm rambling on, you mentioned you wanted as much fedback as possible since you're started to come back into game dev, so I tried to touch upon as much as possible.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links