• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Gen II GS - The One GS Evo/Move Editor

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
Code:
img16.imageshack.us/img16/6325/theonegsedit.jpg
OneGSEdit is a program written in Python which enables you to edit Pokemon evolution and moveset data with incredible ease! I wrote this program to gain some experience in Python, and I'm pretty proud of it. Its main features are:

1. It's pretty fast - even though .exe file weighs 7MB, operations are done in a blink of eye.

2. Current version (if not the only one) is 99% bugless and supports Gold and Silver editions. Works for pokemon numbers 1 to 251 (unless you found some way to add pokemons 252, etc. into game it shouldn't be a problem).

3. No need to save every time you change anything! Any changes you make will not apply to your project until you decide to save them. You save the project only once, that is when you are done with editing ;)

4. Sorting algorithm - this one is a great feature - upon loading a file and after every operation, the pointers and evo/move data is sorted. It works in this way:
For example if you changed Ivysaur's data pointer to an offset which is after Celebi's data (you wanted to add a skill, I suppose), it goes back between Bulbasaur and Venusaur data! What's better, all empty and unused data is removed.
By default, pokemon with no evolutions don't share their first byte of data (00 implying no evolution) with last byte of previous pokemon (00 meaning end of data)! This creates unnecessary data, which can be compressed. What does it mean? More memory for new moves and evolutions!
- Note that if you have any data other than pointers and evo/movesets data in offsets 0x427BD to 0x43FFF (end of bank), it will be erased after sorting. By default, this space is empty, so it shouldn't be a problem.

5. Reads pointers - 251 pointers are read starting from 0x427BD. The program supports repointed evolution/moveset data!

6. Preview of data in hexadecimal/decimal number - preview in decimal numbers can be copied and pasted in GoldFinger!

7. Freedom! - You can create new movesets with super ease, or just dynamically browse the pokemon data for your own information.

8. Not really a feature, but credit me if you use my program to edit your project! ;)

I hope to get your feedback (tell me if the program works on your computer, haven't tested it on others yet)!

The file weighs over 2MB so I can't attach it and I can't post URLs. Somehow I managed to bypass it a little - here is the link to download:
1.0.1 version - with critical bug fix:
Code:
mediafire.com/?784anzl1yfrk45c

Last edited:

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Wow its a great program! It's the best out of all GSC tools that I have seen! I can't believe that nobody have posted yet but thanks for making it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
Warning! The version I posted first has a critical bug - if you overwrite a .gbc file (doesn't happen when you save as new file), it is rewritten to 6kb file! Please download new version from updated link in first post (this bug is fixed)!

Also, 'Defend' has been changed to 'Protect'.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2014
All you have to do is add compatibility with Crystal and you've got yourself a Grade A tool that nobody had made yet, I have to say good job!

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Just wanted to say thanks, this program is extremely useful. About the only thing I'm a little curious about is Egg Move alteration, but I'm sure there's other ways to do that and so I gotta say "Great job!".

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
I don't know if what by definition bringing back an old thread is since the last reply was in February. However, I tried using this on Crystal version and it crashed. Then from reading the comments I found out it only supports Gold/Silver and not Crystal. So my question is, will this get updated?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I don't know if what by definition bringing back an old thread is since the last reply was in February. However, I tried using this on Crystal version and it crashed. Then from reading the comments I found out it only supports Gold/Silver and not Crystal. So my question is, will this get updated?
Hex editing the evolutions is an extremely simple process, especially should be to you if you are a grown-up as well like you pretend to be.

What you gotta do is to download a hex editor, look for a evolution editing tutorial (I remember there being one in this site written by IIMarckus), and use the hex editor to edit a couple of bytes of data here and there. I managed to get to this level while I was in high school and didn't know a thing about rom hacking or programming.

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
Hex editing the evolutions is an extremely simple process, especially should be to you if you are a grown-up as well like you pretend to be.

What you gotta do is to download a hex editor, look for a evolution editing tutorial (I remember there being one in this site written by IIMarckus), and use the hex editor to edit a couple of bytes of data here and there. I managed to get to this level while I was in high school and didn't know a thing about rom hacking or programming.

I feel like only the second paragraph was enough instead of calling me a child because I don't know what a hex editor is. And yes that's what it seems to were implying.

Anyways I was actually curious as to know why the author didn't make one for Crystal too because it was odd they made it for Gold and silver.

Other then that, Thank you for telling me that there is a tutorial on this.

miksy91

Years
I feel like only the second paragraph was enough instead of calling me a child because I don't know what a hex editor is. And yes that's what it seems to were implying.
I didn't mean to say that you are a child, but english isn't my native language and "pretend" was all I was able to come with by saying that you're most likely 21, but not necessarily. Many kids then to set their age way higher than they really are.

Anyways I was actually curious as to know why the author didn't make one for Crystal too because it was odd they made it for Gold and silver.
Although the evolution data structures in all the three games look exactly the same, the data is located in different part of the rom and the evolution data "rom bank" is more limited in Crystal than that of Gold or Silver. That probably makes no sense at all, but it shouldn't either since you probably don't know anything in particular about GameBoy engine.
But it's true that the author could have done one for Crystal either way.

Other then that, Thank you for telling me that there is a tutorial on this.
You could also take a look at my video tutorials in YouTube. In parts 1 and 2 (length around 1 hour 40 minutes) I cover all the basics behind hex editing, rom data, bytes, pointers and such. Basically all you need to know to get started with rom hacking and handling simple data editing processes such as this (and more while at it).

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
Well what Hex editor would you recommend?

Also I understood that you meant I was "pretending" to act 21 because some users do lie about their age. I just took it personally though.

miksy91

Years
Well what Hex editor would you recommend?

Also I understood that you meant I was "pretending" to act 21 because some users do lie about their age. I just took it personally though.
Sorry about that :)

It doesn't really make a difference which hex editor you use. I personally like GoldFinger since I started to use it early on, and also due to a fact that it shows 16 (0x10) bytes in each row. But some hex editors bound to have better copy paste functions than it does, but GoldFinger does everything pretty well.

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
Well I was able to use the hex editor and did the evolutions the way that I wanted too.

Thank you Miksy91

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
I support Gen2 hackers deep from my heart so I will update this tool. Crystal version and custon names support will be implemented. Just wait a week or two.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
This looks awesome but the link is blocked for me. :( Is there another place I can download it?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 4, 2022
While I was working on a ROM hack using this tool I came into an annoying and project ending issue. If you add enough moves to Pokemon, you cannot add anymore moves to any evolution line. Is there anyway to get around this?

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
Years
Wow! Thank you so much for making that tool! ;) You're a real genius! :)

Recently, for my new upcoming G/S version game (which shall be finished in a year or so...) I decided to try updating Pokémon movesets with existing Gen1 or 2 moves that they can learn in later gens. (Just like I did with Yellow Advanced, but now, i want to go further than Level 1 moves).

I recently found another tool before yours (I won't name it for respect). I tried it, it was working good, but I tried chagind a pointer of a Pokémon, in order to add new moves to it, but the program didn't recognized it it all!!! I was panicking, but then I tried today to find a better tool, which is yours. I downloaded it, tried it, and the Pokémon pointer were rearranged and recognized which is awesome! It saved my day and my project! :)

After this, just to test everything, I tried my ancient tool, but for worse, it couldn't read all Pokémon movestes right!!! I was panicking again, but then, I realize that everything is fine with your great tool (I know it's because of the 00 superpositions). It's a grwat way to save spaces for new moves! Thanks a lot for this! ;)

So, I thrashed completely my ancient tool in the garbage (well recycle bin on my computer), in order to keep yours! ;) Thank you so much for making it! ;) It's very useful and gives a lot more possibilities too! It's really easier to use than my ancient tool for sure! ;)

Since I use so many tools for making my games, i can't promise that i will credit you in the future when i will publish my new games, but i give you my special thanks and respect for making it! :) :) :) Also, since i took the time to tell you this, it's a sign of me that I will use it for my future games, and so, you know it! ;)

Of course, I won't redo my past games, since they're FINAL, official, and I turned the page and they're very good the way they are (I'm very satisfied of them all too!) I need to do novelties in my life, and of course, to advance and to improve myself! ;) I don't want to turn around forvever in the same projects forever in my life, coz this way, i will never accomplish anything... and i look forward in the future or in the present, not in the past) ;)

Good luck and success in your next projects, if you have some! ;)

Back