• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
And Scarf - I don't think your cynicism is really necessary in this case. We said pretty much the same thing a page or two back when the Oreo thing came up, but does it really matter why they're doing it? A good deed is being done regardless of the intent or any potential ulterior motive, so I don't see why the degree of altruism is even a relevant factor. If we can stand to benefit from this, what's the problem if Google does too?

Would we prefer Google suffer for supporting us, as though in a show of solidarity with our struggles?

This is how I see it as well. There are two possible scenarios here:

Google is doing this just as a show of goodwill because they truly believe this - They have a positive effect on the countries around them, lowering anti-gay sentiment in multiple cultures while raising the loyalty of the LGBT crowd in their brand.

Google is doing this for purely financial reason and don't really care about LGBT issues - They have a positive effect on the countries around them, lowering anti-gay sentiment in multiple cultures while raising the loyalty of the LGBT crowd in their brand.

Keep in mind that changes in attitudes are based entirely on the perception of the person/society that's changing, and not the reality. In reality, the entire world could be secretly anti-gay, but if one person perceives being anti-gay as something that's wrong based on what they're seeing in public, then they will be much more likely to change their opinion.

Clucknadus

Tornadus Therian Form
Years
This club doesn't look like it's been very active lately, but why not, I'll join. I'm kind of unsure of my orientation; I think I might be bisexual, but I've never been with anyone of the same sex, so I can't say for sure.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think some fresh meat is pretty much exactly what we need to get some activity lol. Welcome, welcome, I shall add your name to the list immediately!

What makes you think you might be bisexual (if that's not too personal a question)? Because often you don't need to actually try being with someone of the same sex to figure it out, it's just a general attraction. If you find yourself sexually attracted to both girls and guys, that's generally enough to show you're bisexual.

Clucknadus

Tornadus Therian Form
Years
Well, that's about it. I seem to feel attraction towards both men and women. I've never tried to be in a relationship with a man, but I have had certain feelings come over me about men. Not any specific man, but just a general attraction towards men similar to that towards women. Certain things like not being able to help but look. Also certain fantasies and curiosities have run through my head that I couldn't control. I won't get specific, but you get my point.

Years
Let's get a new discussion going.

Who are so queer people that you look up to? Who are your inspiration, heroes, idols, or just someone you like?

I was just reading something that mentioned George Takei and I remembered how awesome I think he is. Especially, I loved that video he did when those "Don't Say Gay" laws were being born.

Spoiler:

Shining Raichu

Years
I love George Takei, I think he's hilarious.

My favourite would have to be the cliche choice of Ellen DeGeneres. She is such a wonderful and beautiful person and helps so many people through her TV show alone. She's also a beacon of hope, since she always has the beautiful Portia de Rossi - her wife - on her arm, and it makes us think that it could be possible for anybody to be that happy. Doesn't hurt that she's also an awesome comedian.

Another one would be Kathy Griffin - she's a straight woman but always jokes that she's an honorary gay man, and I'm happy to give her that. She's like the Queen of the Gays and works hard to keep that title. She's heavily involved in activism and uses her voice wherever possible to try and help us. Also, freaking hilarious. Funniest woman around (on par with Chelsea Handler :P)

Then there's the wonderful Neil Patrick Harris. Dude is just so bro!

(also holy crap wtf we just reached 3000 posts! I didn't even see that coming!)

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I look up to Neil Patrick Harris and Jim Parsons.

Seriously these two guys are so amazing and fantastic actors! I really enjoy basically anything Neil is in (plus lets face it he is an attractive guy.) Plus he is actually good at magic as well as acting how cool is that! He is a serious bro as well, what beats that?
Jim is just incredible as Sheldon, what more is needed to be said there?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Weirdly enough I'm not sure if I really look up to any gays/queers. I don't really have a role model though but I do like some of the people you've mention here. (NPH, Ellen, Kathy, etc.) I would say though anyone that's really done any activism and is really out there pushing for equal/civil rights for me. It's something I'm interested in and it's always nice reading about someone doing their best to get things to happen.

Also, to throw out some names that haven't been said. Frank Ocean, Matt Bomer, Dan Savage, and Dustin Lance Black.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
Jim Parsons was just a recent thing, if I remember correctly. It recently came to light that he's been in a relationship with a guy for ten years or something. There was always speculation but it's just recently been confirmed.

He's actually starring with Julia Roberts and Alec Baldwin in a new movie called The Normal Heart which is about a man raising HIV/AIDS awareness in the 80s. Just looking at the subject matter and the cast line-up, I'm really excited to see it!

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Ellen is funny, but I don't really know that much about her tbh. George Takei would definitely be my choice.

Years
Jim Parsons was just a recent thing, if I remember correctly. It recently came to light that he's been in a relationship with a guy for ten years or something. There was always speculation but it's just recently been confirmed.

He's actually starring with Julia Roberts and Alec Baldwin in a new movie called The Normal Heart which is about a man raising HIV/AIDS awareness in the 80s. Just looking at the subject matter and the cast line-up, I'm really excited to see it!
It's good they're doing a movie about this. I've read that after the 80s we had a lot of awareness about AIDS, but recently we've let that slide and a lot of people aren't aware of or taking it as seriously as they should.

And while I totally support more awareness about HIV/AIDS, I just can't handle watching movies about them so I will pass on this one.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Uhm... can I join this club? I never came out to anyone, not even online, so... well, I don't really know what to say :\ It's weird...

And to add on to the topic, NPH is awesome, but the person who I look up to is Freddie Mercury. He was a legend in the 70s, even though people knew he was gay. That was hard to accomplish.

Shining Raichu

Years
Uhm... can I join this club? I never came out to anyone, not even online, so... well, I don't really know what to say :\ It's weird...

And to add on to the topic, NPH is awesome, but the person who I look up to is Freddie Mercury. He was a legend in the 70s, even though people knew he was gay. That was hard to accomplish.

Hey Alex, welcome! Consider yourself joined up, I shall add you to the list immediately :). Don't be shy, it's weird at first but once you get used to people knowing you become infinitely more comfortable with it. And that's what we're here for anyway!

I actually had no idea Freddie Mercury was gay! That could possibly have more to do with the fact that the most I know about Freddie Mercury is that he has a name that people tend to say a lot. I never bothered to do any research beyond that, though a quick Google search now tells me that he was the lead singer of Queen :P. That's really interesting! You learn something new every day.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Well, I knew of Freddie Mercury and that he was gay. I just didn't know that he was the lead singer of Queen, that's interesting! This club is keeping me in the loop. Ahaha.

And Welcome, Alex! :) Well, in this club it won't be weird because well most of us can relate to what you're going through.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Thanks, you all. I really didn't expect so nice replies. I've always thought that people will hate me for being, you know... :\ But I guess coming out isn't that bad, after all :) (Of course, I'd still never come out to anyone in the real world...)

And yeah, a lot of people know the name Freddie Mercury, but not all of them know who he really was xD

Years
For Andy's next trick he's going tell us all how he doesn't know who David Bowie or Madonna are.

And now for something completely different, I bring you some news from Florida where the Lt. Governor has maybe, perhaps, been caught in some kind of compromising position with one of her female staff and is denying she's a lesbian because "usually black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that." Yup. She doesn't look like a lesbian, so clearly she can't be one. But all this is just gossip anyway and I provide it for the sake of keeping the conversation lively.

[read it all here]

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Answering Scarf's idol topic a bit late but w.e!!

I look up to Chris Colfer (shock), not because he's gay but because of his talent. As for looking up to a gay icon I guess the general people like Gaga, Madonna etc are there.

On the topic (idk if it died) of idols and such. What straight celebrities do you respect/look up to for being involved in the lgbt community? inb4everyonesayskathyandgaga

Back