• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10

Years
Windows 9

So I've been seeing talk of Windows 9 around the web. It's expected to be released in 2015. I haven't seen a thread about it, so I thought this would be a good thread for some info-dumping and speculation.

From what I've read, Windows 9 is going to make the interface more computer friendly, as opposed to being more tablet-oriented. One of these changes will be bringing the Start menu back to the Desktop.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Windows 9...already? :|

Well I did some googling and found this article for anyone wants to read in-depth on it. It looks like the new version of Windows will put forth even more support for tablets/touchscreen devices and less on physical desktops (like the one I have right now..equipped with Windows.

I'm pretty impressed that Cortana will be pushed in this version as well. Heard Cortana is very responsive and accurate, so if it does well on phones, it should do best on desktops and tablets.

People are going to SCREAM when they make the actual start menu official, like seriously. we needed that thing since Windows 8 was released.

Years
I'm pretty impressed that Cortana will be pushed in this version as well. Heard Cortana is very responsive and accurate, so if it does well on phones, it should do best on desktops and tablets.

I'd only recently heard of Cortana, that it's basically the Siri/Google Now of Microsoft. Has it been around on Microsoft phones for a while? It'd be amazing to bring that to computers.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
uzIWenX.jpg

Leaked teaser. Hopefully not the logo, cause that would be silly. If it is the logo, *sigh*. Still, Windows is windows, its not like there's anything else I can use.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 1, 2023
They better fix some things from windows 8. Microsoft keeps promoting that your laptop can be used as a tablet and all that crap but I've had the opportunity to mess around with a Surface 3 and the UI is horrible. Its even worse when using Windows 8 on a desktop. There was no need to change from windows 7 just to make it more "user friendly" which really just means a bigger pain in the Arceus.

Years
uzIWenX.jpg

Leaked teaser. Hopefully not the logo, cause that would be silly. If it is the logo, *sigh*. Still, Windows is windows, its not like there's anything else I can use.
I actually kinda like that logo. Still maybe they should include the windows logo itself next to the 9, but that logo is actually rather neat if you ask me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think it's a little bulky for a logo.

I would be really happy if they did the windowed metro apps. I don't use a single metro program on my computer because I don't like not being able to see when I get an IM and I don't like not being able to switch quickly to other windows. I'm weird in that I barely ever even fullscreen videos because I hate it. Just like there are some default Windows programs I use when appropriate like Paint, I'm sure there are some Metro apps I would use if only they were a window.

Years
The Start menu will be one of the few reasons I will probably make the upgrade. I mean, come on, why can't they simply add it back into Windows 8.1 with an update? That, plus the windowed Metro apps will also be nice to have as well.
I thought they were planning to do that anyways in a future 8.1 update? Was that pushed back to Windows 9?

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Ugh. A new OS should only come about when there is truly a need for it due to the advancement of hardware. Windows 7 works perfectly fine (aside from arbitrary limitations placed on the non-Ultimate editions). Our technology is not 'moving faster every day' like these corporations posit, the market is just being oversaturated with micro-update style crap, often unpolished and full of problems. They don't want to make quality products, but a continuum of 'advancement' made up of consumer-pandering gimmicks to keep the revenue flowing consistently.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
They don't want to make quality products, but a continuum of 'advancement' made up of consumer-pandering gimmicks to keep the revenue flowing consistently.

Bear in mind the article did say Microsoft is considering releasing it for free. Although if that weren't the case, I'd agree with you 100%.

Radioactive

I'm a really good boy
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2014
Cassino, it's not so much the consumers as it is their shareholders. Corporate policial bull****, honestly. Old men in suits don't know how to computer

Microsoft needs to stop. We get it, Windows 8 was an abomination. That doesn't mean we need to make another OS to replace it that's a gamble anyway! Windows 7 is seriously modern enough for hardware, and being I'm using a 64-bit version of 7 Ultimate, I have zero complaints out of this OS. The ambiguation between consumer products like tablets and phones and actual hardware designed for flexibility that Microsoft is executing here is making me hate them – 8 years ago they could do no wrong in my naïve eyes. Stop it. Stop with the shareholder-pandering, everyone knows you ****ed up. No need to cover your ass, and no hard feelings. Make a decent OS (IMO 7 isn't even their best work) at the necessary time and you'll have my monetary support, MS. Simple, right?

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
I wonder how much is Microsoft going to charge for upgrades to Windows 9... Considering that Apple made OS X Mavericks and Yosemite free to users all the way from Snow Leopard.

And I really hope they drop editions entirely. Windows 8 made the list shorter, but I seriously hope they'll drop all of them (except RT) with Windows 9.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I wonder how much is Microsoft going to charge for upgrades to Windows 9... Considering that Apple made OS X Mavericks and Yosemite free to users all the way from Snow Leopard.

And I really hope they drop editions entirely. Windows 8 made the list shorter, but I seriously hope they'll drop all of them (except RT) with Windows 9.

Rumours have it that it's going to cost $0 for anyone with Windows 7.

Still, I'd rather take it with a grain of salt and assume the expected stuff: some kind of offer in the OS's early days, then pretty expensive for an upgrade.

Years
Wow, free upgrade from Windows 7? I'd totally do that if my desktop's hardware specs matched up to the requirements of Windows 9.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
^ I need proof of that @ Windows 9 free upgrade for Windows 7. I really hope they meant 8, because right now I'm seriously considering buying a laptop pre-loaded with 8 and windows 7 downgrade. I highly doubt that, though.

I'm practically fine with Windows 8, but it feels weird on a desktop.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm still on Windows 7 because I don't like Windows 8 and don't see any reason to upgrade. Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7 except for the app thing, that's basically all they added and they made it a major pain in the ass to operate your system and get used to it unless you downloaded classic shell. Every new system is the same as the last with a few more features. Windows 9 is gonna be Windows 8 with Windows 9 slapped on it.

Back