The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam

Advertise here
It would seem Technical Machines (TMs) and Hidden Machines (HMs) don't exist in the anime. It would seem that all HMs are taught like regular moves through anime, then again learning moves is always rather sudden in the anime. Do you think that it's possible they'll eventually exist in the anime and if they do...what do you think they'll look like? If so do you think they'll have the same purpose as they have in the games?

If they do I highly doubt they'll be the same. They'll probably break after use but, the Pokemon will grab it and learn it themselves or possibly the Pokemon will have to master it. HM moves on the other hand don't really exist in the anime--they're regular moves. Like when Grotle learned Rock Climb it was treated as a regular move. So, if TMs become a reality in the anime I see them as a different thing. They'll look the same but their purpose will be entirely different because the anime is entirely different.

Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I don't think they'll ever be in the anime, since anime-verse move learning is generally more... dare I apply this term to the anime... logical than game-verse. Anime-verse TM/HM moves seem to be taught and worked on and developed like a skill rather than just implanted. Like... Pikachu and Iron Tail, Baoppu and Solarbeam... they were both taught and spent time mastering that particular move. They didn't just randomly learn it from a rather hazy "level up" method.

So yeah, no. TM and HM moves are taught, not implanted. The discs we use in game don't really work in anime-verse.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:23 PM
CliveKoopa

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
TMs/HMs do not and should not ever have a place in the anime. As Yuki's Sword said, the anime is more logical than the games and should be treated as such. For the same reasons, the Move Tutor and Move Deleter shouldn't appear in the anime either.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Nah... no point in doing this... Not to mention this would totally kill the way moves are done in anime.
And as I said, there's no point in doing this as obstacles cannot be done like in games so HMs would lose their purpose.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
TMs/HMs do not and should not ever have a place in the anime. As Yuki's Sword said, the anime is more logical than the games and should be treated as such. For the same reasons, the Move Tutor and Move Deleter shouldn't appear in the anime either.
Technically, the anime has introduced move tutors just not blatantly so. There have been characters shown that have taught some of Ash and Co's Pokémon to learn or master certain moves in the past.

As far as TMs and HMs go, it wouldn't fit with the anime's storytelling since Pokémon in the show usually tend to have these natural field abilities without having to learn any special moves. TMs and HMs are more of a game mechanic used to overcome obstacles and keep the players on a direct path without wandering too far off track and getting to places they otherwise shouldn't yet be.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Technically, the anime has introduced move tutors just not blatantly so. There have been characters shown that have taught some of Ash and Co's Pokémon to learn or master certain moves in the past.

As far as TMs and HMs go, it wouldn't fit with the anime's storytelling since Pokémon in the show usually tend to have these natural field abilities without having to learn any special moves. TMs and HMs are more of a game mechanic used to overcome obstacles and keep the players on a direct path without wandering too far off track and getting to places they otherwise shouldn't yet be.
I basically agree with what Shivi said there, Pokemon usually learn moves on their own as far as the anime is concerned. And it can even extend to moves that Pokemon would only be able to learn via TM/HM/Move Tutor in the games, and even moves they would normally only get in-game as an egg move.

There have been cases where Pokemon were spending a few episodes learning a certain move, like when Turtwig learned Energy Ball or Pikachu learning Iron Tail. And in most scenes where say, someone's riding on the water on a Water-type Pokemon they don't seem to be commanding them to use Surf anyway. Also, obstacles don't usually appear a lot in the anime unlike the games.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Lugia's Shadow
Guardian of the Sea

Nature: Timid
Sometimes Pokemon learn new moves in a pinch (or master them), like Axew's Dragon Rage. Some are learnt through evolution, like Krookodile's Dragon Claw. Some are learnt by watching other Pokemon, like Scraggy's Hi Jump Kick.

But in a proper TM/HM way, no, not really.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here