• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
If you play smart and don't leave your pokemon in on counters and such they should work fine. It takes time to learn prediction and such, just be patient is all I can say.

Years
I'm torn between life orb and choice scarf for my primeape.Scarf would be better for revenge killing,but life orb could give my attacks a little more power possibly saving me a few battles.Can someone help me out on this?

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
Years
What to do with Breloom

286.png

That's right, it's Breloom, the lovable mushroom pokemon. So many things to do with a Breloom, its hard to decide. I want to use it, but I don't know what to have it with. This is my best decision right now:

Breloom // Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: Unsure, please help
Moves:
Facade
Drain Punch / Mach Punch
Substitute
Spore

Please give me tips, and I need to know what nature it should be. I think its a good strategy, but I need help. Thanks

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
Years
I'm torn between life orb and choice scarf for my primeape.Scarf would be better for revenge killing,but life orb could give my attacks a little more power possibly saving me a few battles.Can someone help me out on this?

This depends on what you want to do with it. I would probably use life orb as it allows more range that you can use. If you want to use it as a sweeper then life orb I'd say. :)

RTHookers

Banned
Years
I am looking for a viable dual screener for NU play. I am thinking about Gardevoir, although I'm not sure how the set will function..

Gardevoir @ Light Clay
252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.def
Timid nature
Trace ability
-Thunder Wave
-Healing Wish / Will-O-Wisp
-Reflect
-Light Screen

It's a set up for DD Zard usually, but I'll might go to Kingler / Tauros.
Is there another viable dual-screener with a little more bulk?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Nah gardy is the best DSer in nu. Alsu put Taunt over T-Wave to stop it being set up fodder and to stop your sweeper getting crippled by status and PHazing. Memento is nice in that second slot too as it makes them switch nearly 100% of the time and if they dont they are crippled badly so they cant touch you via attacking behind screens. A more powerful sweeper is better for this strat though (see BD Linoone and Belly Zard), DD Zard is laughably easy to wall.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Should I go with:
Hypnosis
Nightmare
Dream Eater
Shadowball

OR:

Shadowball
Suckerpunch
Mean Look
Perish Song
Neither. Dream Eater doesn't work well in competitive play since every battler would switch out after being put to sleep to prevent from set up fodder, and to activate Sleep Clause. This is the same with Nightmare. So, use Focus Blast > Nightmare to hit Tyranitar and Steel-types, and it gives perfect coverage alongside Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Fire, Thunderbolt, Explosion, or even Will-O-Wisp could work instead of Dream Eater, HP Fire OHKOs Scizor on the switch, Thunderbolt helps with bulky Waters like OHKOing Gyara and 2HKOing Suicune, Explosion can OHKO Blissey if you use Hasty nature and 40 Atk EVs, and WOW just cripples physical threats and can still help with Scizor and Tyranitar.

The problem with the last set is that Gengar's Attack is poor so Sucker Punch wouldn't work well. You could use Protect instead so you don't die before Perish Song works.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Offense teams usually base on helping one (or two sometimes) Pokémon at succeeding on sweeping (or whatever role that Pokémon is being used for) the opposing team. Usually, you will want to use a lure, entry hazards, etc anything to weaken your Pokémon's counters. i.e. Gyarados + Tyranitar, both lure in each other's checks and can weaken their counters (in this case, bulky Waters), as well as having good type synergy. Then, use something that can defeat bulky Waters, so Rotom-A (specifically Cut to destroy Swampert), Zapdos, Celebi, etc. Once you have your core, you can build around it to help cover threats and the like.

In short, find a Pokémon to construct a team on, then help support by removing / weakening its counters and checks, as well as additional support if needed like Wish, Paralysis, etc.

For stall teams look here.

Thanks for that wolflare ;) That has helped a lot. But, one more question, how do you know what EV's to give a Pokemon. Does it depend on what their best stats are, or is there a tactic for working it out? A Garchomp would probably work well with something like HP4/Atk252/Spe252 but that is just based on my one's best stats. However, I'd guess, that you'd first work out what you want your team to consist of, and find pokemon with good stats of that sort to EV train in that manner. So you may decide something like this:

Set Up (??? Not sure what to call it)
Aggresive Sweeper
Special Sweeper
Revenge Killer
Mixed Wall
Maybe another Sweeper

Then you'd find the right Pokemon to fill the slots. Perhaps making this:

Aerodactyl
DD Tyranitar
CM Suicune
Not sure about the Revenge killer
Snorlax/Urasing
Again, unsure about this slot

But that is my question. I just wanted to know how you work out the EV's a certain Pokemon should get.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday

Thanks for that wolflare ;) That has helped a lot. But, one more question, how do you know what EV's to give a Pokemon. Does it depend on what their best stats are, or is there a tactic for working it out? A Garchomp would probably work well with something like HP4/Atk252/Spe252 but that is just based on my one's best stats. However, I'd guess, that you'd first work out what you want your team to consist of, and find pokemon with good stats of that sort to EV train in that manner. So you may decide something like this:

Set Up (??? Not sure what to call it)
Aggresive Sweeper
Special Sweeper
Revenge Killer
Mixed Wall
Maybe another Sweeper

Then you'd find the right Pokemon to fill the slots. Perhaps making this:

Aerodactyl
DD Tyranitar
CM Suicune
Not sure about the Revenge killer
Snorlax/Urasing
Again, unsure about this slot

But that is my question. I just wanted to know how you work out the EV's a certain Pokemon should get.
Varies on what Pokémon it is, for sweepers you generally want to max out whichever offense stat they're using. Then you want to invest in Speed to outrun certain threats, this is useful for that. Sometimes stuff like Metagross don't need much Speed since it will typically be taking more hits. Really just use Smogon's EVs, then build off of it depending on what your team has problems with.

Years
I have a quick question. Everywhere I read about wifi-pokemon battling, the way comments are worded suggests that Rotom either can't be used or is in-effective in wifi battle.

I was just wondering why that was...

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
I have a quick question. Everywhere I read about wifi-pokemon battling, the way comments are worded suggests that Rotom either can't be used or is in-effective in wifi battle.

I was just wondering why that was...

Regular Rotom can be used, but the Rotom Formes and their respective signature moves cannot be used and they get reverted to normal rotom. :(

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Yeah, they claimed that in HGSS Rotom formes would work over Wifi, but they do not. So they got us all hyped up for nothing.

I have a question. What's the best complement to Rock Polish Relicanth? (And is that thing even viable in NU? lol)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Yeah, they claimed that in HGSS Rotom formes would work over Wifi, but they do not. So they got us all hyped up for nothing.

I have a question. What's the best complement to Rock Polish Relicanth? (And is that thing even viable in NU? lol)

Probably a bulky grass type like Meganium or Magmortar @ HP Grass to lure in water types. Its probably viable actually since headsmash does boatloads of damage.

RTHookers

Banned
Years
Meganium and Gardevoir can work well. Set up screens and go for Ranch
But if your opponent got special priority attack, Ranch wouldn't be there for too long. I used one in my SStorm team and the sp.def boost really helps it.

EDIT: Agility + Serene Grace is epic win on Dunsparce?
Another edit:
I'll be thinking about Baton Passing something to it..

Last edited:

RTHookers

Banned
Years
Yeah I know, this is why I mentioned Baton Pass. Give it SD and Agility and it's a beast. Don't forget about the flinch hax and it can even sweep lulz.
(Outspeeds all of NU if it's max speed, 207 is max, double is 414)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Back