• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Shining Orbs

Which name is better?

• Total voters

BCKC

A nobody, just like you.
Years

You were the one that made the maps, right?
(Thank god... if someone else made them for you, I would be disappointed.)
Anyway, Route 1 is, well, a huge rectangle. The grass is really oddly placed; try clumps and not just use the rectangle tool to make a blob of grass. The flowers are cluttering in one area, making it seem as if you made a section just for them (theres nothing else on that platform). The trees are uniform and bland, forcing the player to move in a straight line. The pond of water seems completely out of place. It looks marsh-like and completely different than your other tiles. Try a less rectangular, lighter pond. Is there a reason that there are mountain tiles? It's fine, but it would seem out of place compared to the town.

Now, onto the town. The town's shape is slightly better, but just as bland. The trees make out a perfect outline of the town. Is the random 1-tile wide "path" on the right really necessary? The road looks squished and linear; use the different layers on RMXP. The trees look like they were put on layer one, which leaves white dots around them. In the top right corner, there are trees with flat sides, you might want to fix that. There is also a tiling error on the bottom green house. Once again, I find the mountain ledge out of place. The flowers are also clumped together again. When you import your tilesets, you should make the shadow color the semi transparent color, it makes the shadow look much better. Also, just our of curiosity, why is the town named Bigcorn?

When you map, you should be able to barely fit everything in there, not trying to fill up empty space.

@Ratty524 (Below):
I completely agree with you. Your post made me remember one thing - the first route should have ledges to easily go back to the starting town, but like you said, any path leading back is fine.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
... Eh.

I guess I can't really say much on this project, as of now the story seems very bare-bones, but hey, it's Pokemon. The mapping in those screens are a huge turn-off, though. They are filled with errors, improper utilization of space, and just generally look crappy. Can you also explain why there is an opinion called "Snivy" on the menu? Is that just the trainer card menu?

@Tsutarja: The map of the town looks fine, but the route 1 could use some inspiration. Also, considering it is the first map the player encounters, you should add a sub-path where the player has the option of completely avoiding the tall grass. The official games did this for a good reason, as it allowed players to have more options for recovery if they ever happen to screw themselves over along the first two routes of the game, while as the game progressed, it gets harder to avoid as to create a higher difficulty curve.

The essential point is to remember the audience you are designing the game for. If you want to gear the game towards people who are not used to pokemon, you should utilize the sub-path idea. If you want to gear to to more advanced players, however, then a map like that is fine.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013

@Kyo The Pro
Stop it guys, you say the story is boring/pointless, flamemaster made it
AND THE SCREENSHOTS WILL BE DELETED UNTIL I GET NEW ONES!
And did you even looked at the other games? Alot of games choose their own choice of starters, I mean. Did you even saw Pokemon XENOTIME? It has Bulbsaur, Cyndaquil, and Mudkip as starters. Sigh.

Those are MY starters. Must be a common starter choice. By the way, I didn't copy them. Those just happen to be my faves.

Back