• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey, guys. I'm trying out the Harvest moveset for my Exeggutor and so far it helps out in battle more often than not. I'm wondering if my Exeggutor will be better off in a Sun or Rain team? Or neither? Fire in sunlight normally faints it in one move but Harvest kicks in every turn, while rain reduces the power of all Fire-type moves and Harvest works normally. This is my current build for it:

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest (50% chance to recycle a used Berry, 100% chance in sunlight)
252 HP, 172 Def, 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Psychic

Bold nature would suit it better, but I didn't want to let this ability go to waste since this DW Exeggutor is male, so its ability can't be passed down to its offspring. What do you guys think? And what tier would be better for it?
Moving the Defense EVs to its Special Attack may be a better alternative in your case, considering that you're running Modest, and it's pointless to use Modest if you're not investing in it at all. Really, paralysis and hazard support (especially Toxic Spikes) is ideal when you're using this particular Exeggutor. Or you can use LumRest to take advantage of the Modest nature:
-Giga Drain
-Psychic
-Rest
-Sleep Powder
Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 HP/176 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest

Years
one more question for now. Should I go for Drilbur and zorua or get sandile and throw in a dragon type? I plan to have a team member with ice capabilities but I was wondering if i should add a dragon for some backup.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Zorua is all right, but Drillbur would definitely be a bad choice. Drillbur will have extremely low defensive stats when it evolves into Excadrill, so your opponent will be able to take it down in an instant without even breaking a sweat. It would also be kind of slow, so it won't be able to outrun much Pokémon.

You should go with Sandile instead of Drillbur. It may not be as strong as Drillbur, but it does have access to Intimidate and Moxie. They're two of the greatest abilities in competitive play. With Moxie, your Attack will be raised by one stage immediately after you defeat one of your opponent's Pokémon, which will enable you to start sweeping. And with Intimidate, you will have the chance to make your opponent weaker physically. This will allow you to survive for a few additional turns when they're attacking you with physical moves such as Mach Punch, Ice Punch, and Drain Punch.

Last edited:
Years
Ok. I appreciate the input but I wanna use pokes that i never used before so I went with drillbur. Thanks though.

Years
Moving the Defense EVs to its Special Attack may be a better alternative in your case, considering that you're running Modest, and it's pointless to use Modest if you're not investing in it at all. Really, paralysis and hazard support (especially Toxic Spikes) is ideal when you're using this particular Exeggutor. Or you can use LumRest to take advantage of the Modest nature:
-Giga Drain
-Psychic
-Rest
-Sleep Powder
Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 HP/176 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest

Never thought about it. I might give it a try but even at Modest the Def EVs still help in battle. But this is a pretty good suggestion. I might transfer the EVs someday and let you know how it goes.

one more question for now. Should I go for Drilbur and zorua or get sandile and throw in a dragon type? I plan to have a team member with ice capabilities but I was wondering if i should add a dragon for some backup.

There's a reason Excadrill is in Uber: Sand Rush. Its Speed is already decent, and Sand Rush speeds him up even more. That's why a lot of Excadrill trainers start off with Tyranitar. In-game or competitive battling, high Speed and Attack is what makes Excadrill a formidable foe. So Drilbur really isn't a bad choice, but as mentioned earlier it DOES have a low Defense stat so physical attacks will make it hit critical status.

Zoroark are powerful in Attack and Special Attack, and their high Speed goes nicely with them. However, they are extremely frail, to the point that resisted hits will still do a number on it. Fortunately, Illusion helps throw off the opponent but be careful in making sure that the last Pokemon in your party doesn't share Zoroark's weaknesses.

Generally, both can have the same use in a team: all-out attack. Do as much damage as possible before they are K.O'd. Zoroark may outlast Excadrill in battle but Excadrill trumps the fox with its high Attack. Of course, if you don't want to end up fighting a bunch of legendaries in competitive play then go with Zoroark.

P.S. I am aware Drilbur was already chosen, but I still decided to throw in my two cents.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Years
I have onemore question about my team. Absol or Bisharp? I am kinda leaning more towards bisharp but not sure why.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Absol hits harder, but comparing to Bisharp's defenses, he's a little frail on the defensive aspect.
While Bisharp has respectable Atk stat, and acceptable defensive stat. Note that Bisharp is not pure Dark like Absol, he's partly Steel!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have onemore question about my team. Absol or Bisharp? I am kinda leaning more towards bisharp but not sure why.

Absol hits harder, but comparing to Bisharp's defenses, he's a little frail on the defensive aspect.
While Bisharp has respectable Atk stat, and acceptable defensive stat. Note that Bisharp is not pure Dark like Absol, he's partly Steel!

Also take note that you'll be stuck with a Pawniard until level 52. While I'm sure you can cope with base 85 Attack while you wait, Pawniard's terrible special bulk makes it not worth using in-game.

I'd rather stick with Absol, not only because it's strong as soon as you get it, but also because it has a wider movepool than Bisharp.

Years
Ok thanks as usual. And my evee started to evolve but it is night. I stopped it but will it only evolve into umbreon?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't think so. You've stopped its evolution before it had the chance to fully occur, so it won't be able to evolve into an Umbreon anymore unless you train it again during the nighttime. If you're planning to make it evolve into an Espeon, then you may go ahead and train it when there's daylight.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Which is a better choice for my Volcarona - Fiery Dance or Flamethrower? Can someone help me, I'm a bit troubled between the two.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In my opinion, if you don't have Quiver Dance on your moveset, then it would be a much better choice to go with Fiery Dance instead of Flamethrower. Flamethrower does have a ten-percent chance of burning your opponent, but with Fiery Dance, you will be able to raise your Special Attack stat by one stage almost every time you execute this move. After just one boost with Fiery Dance, Volcarona will be able to take down a lot of your opponent's Pokémon all by itself. If your Volcarona does know Quiver Dance, then you should probably go with Flamethrower. :)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Right. Thanks, and Quiver Dance was a move that depended on this decision. If I took Fiery Dance I wouldn't have taken Quiver Dance. (I'm planning my Larvesta, you see)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In my opinion, if you don't have Quiver Dance on your moveset, then it would be a much better choice to go with Fiery Dance instead of Flamethrower. Flamethrower does have a ten-percent chance of burning your opponent, but with Fiery Dance, you will be able to raise your Special Attack stat by one stage almost every time you execute this move. After just one boost with Fiery Dance, Volcarona will be able to take down a lot of your opponent's Pokémon all by itself. If your Volcarona does know Quiver Dance, then you should probably go with Flamethrower. :)

Right. Thanks, and Quiver Dance was a move that depended on this decision. If I took Fiery Dance I wouldn't have taken Quiver Dance. (I'm planning my Larvesta, you see)

If you're not patient enough to have Volcarona learn Fiery Dance (it learns the move at level 100), then go with Fire Blast. It has more power than Fiery Dance and Flamethrower; its accuracy is more acceptable than Blizzard, Thunder or the like.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
If you're not patient enough to have Volcarona learn Fiery Dance (it learns the move at level 100), then go with Fire Blast. It has more power than Fiery Dance and Flamethrower; its accuracy is more acceptable than Blizzard, Thunder or the like.

Oh well. I guess I'll go with Fire Blast then. Saves a lot of complications, too.

Years
I need help beating clay in W2. My team is all level 31 except for my ducklett who is 33. On my first try, I took out Crokorock no problem. Then I switched to my pignnite to take on excadrill but he 1 hit KOed it and the rest of my team. Any advice?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need help beating clay in W2. My team is all level 31 except for my ducklett who is 33. On my first try, I took out Crokorock no problem. Then I switched to my pignnite to take on excadrill but he 1 hit KOed it and the rest of my team. Any advice?

Having a Water Pokemon with you helps against Clay. The best ones available at this point of the game are Psyduck, Huge Power Azumarill (obtained as Azurill in Flocessy Ranch) and Ducklett.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back