• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
Oh gawds, I want HG/SS to be here too! D:

I pretty much love history. My favorite time periods are the World Wars, ancient China, ancient and feudal Japan, the Imperialism era, and the Crusades. No wonder I enjoyed writing NE a lot (loads of historical references that have been Pokemonized). :P

On La Pompa's question, haha it depends. If my kitty jumps on the desk and starts stepping on the keyboard, no. However, if he sleeps peacefully on my lap, on the carpet, or on my bed, then I'm able to write peacefully.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Sparkling Dragon said:
NZ history is the most BORING thing ever! We had a few land wars, and a Treaty, and that was pretty much it.
^This. I'm glad I'll be doing an internationally assessed subject of history, so I won't have to do ours. ;D

Also, to steer this thread back on topic,

What kind of atmosphere do you like to create in your fic (overall)?

Bay

Years
Depends what genre I'm writing. For instance, for comedy a very lighthearted atmosphere. If I'm writing suspense, the atmosphere would be more intense and fast paced.

Lana.

*spin*
Years
Consider yourself lucky. I need to deal with American history.
Is it weird that American history is the only history I actually enjoy learning?

Eh. For the most part, the scene carries the atmosphere. In normal atmospheres, though, I tend to keep a very light, happier tone. Dark, tense stuff can be really fun to write, though - it seems I enjoy putting my characters through some awful stuff. xD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I actually quite like US history. :< Far, far more interesting than New Zealand's. :<

In my current fic, the atmosphere is quite dark, as the setting is rife with lust for power and corruption. A lot of the time it's quite tense, although I did introduce a character a few chapters back who lightens the mood a bit more. :3

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
@Lana and Citrinin

Having read many books on just how screwed up our history actually is, and how the government re-writes the textbooks to leave out the real history (makes us seem like Japan and their censorship!) I've grown bored of American history. I prefer ancient history and mythology, and anything post WWI isn't that fun.

Lana.

*spin*
Years
@Lana and Citrinin

Having read many books on just how screwed up our history actually is, and how the government re-writes the textbooks to leave out the real history (makes us seem like Japan and their censorship!) I've grown bored of American history. I prefer ancient history and mythology, and anything post WWI isn't that fun.

Somehow I figured there was some sort of editing involved.

But anyways. I agree with you: ancient history and mythology are definitely my preferred social studies subjects (though mythology can sometimes fall under literature, which may be part of the reason I enjoy it so much...).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Somehow I figured there was some sort of editing involved.

But anyways. I agree with you: ancient history and mythology are definitely my preferred social studies subjects (though mythology can sometimes fall under literature, which may be part of the reason I enjoy it so much...).
I prefer ancient history and mythology because there's rarely a distinction. Orwellian re-writing has gone on since before we even developed a written language, with the "truth" that was presented becoming the fact of history. It's all mythological. Our history will one day be the mythology of our descendants, so I give our distant past a little more credit. Modern history has no excuse.

I opt for something a little more surreal. Not so much creating an alternate world where physics and magic collide or anything, but where the way I narrate and focus on characters' inner thoughts gives the a world a more personal feel. I like writing solipsism, basically.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

A dark, ominous, or otherwise, suspicious atmosphere... I want to leave the reader guessing, and saying out loud "Oh my god!".

As for the correct answer to my earlier question, a correct answer to a meaningful relationship to Pokemon, would have to include these three things:

The physical, the subjective, and the behavioral.

Some of theses are obvious:

Physical: Game, anime, friends etc

Behavioral: Playing the game, watching the anime (self explanatory, basically actions that would fulfill the relationship).

What some of you forgot to mention, is the correlation, or the subject matter, that made it that way for you.

Namely, how you felt about playing it, When watching the anime, you feel connected with the character, etc...

This is the sort of relationship I was looking for, someone to answer (in that fashion, not those exact words).

Otherwise, if you were missing any of these three, it would only be an association.

Also to point out, there is no de-association or non-relationship, it is either one or the other...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Pretty much anything that isn't reminiscent of the popular concept in fanfiction that basically says 'take Pokémon and make it as dark and grim as you possibly can'. It really depends on the story - comedy is light-hearted and obviously sugar-fueled, and regular work is usually pretty light and not so sugar-fueled.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

I definitely prefer to have an atmosphere that's humorous in a way, but still can be taken seriously. I really don't like creating dark, threatening worlds. Sure, world ain't the nicest place on average, but why should I emphasize only that? I want to remind people that there are always nice things when you are willing to see them. Then again, I also don't want my atmosphere to become too humorous, because that would eat away the credibility of the story.

Of course, I do have variations in my writing style, but I still never write very dark stories. Even when I was writing about the last human being alive (this reminds me, I should finish that one), I wanted to make it about the positive aspects of life, the universe and everything. I don't even really know why I do that... But yeah, especially in fanfiction, the atmosphere I create is somewhat light.

Also, what I really like is writing so that the reader won't know what's actually true and what isn't. That's also why I'm looking forward to writing that one story that advances through stories...

Hmm, maybe I should actually write some fanfiction, too, seeing as how I've got two fics waiting to be finished...

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
A suspenseful atmosphere, most certainly. I love to leave cliffhangers and that's mostly difficult without something like that. I also tend to try to create a darker aspect to it.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I find it interesting that so many of you like to write dark atmospheres (myself included). If I may ask, what attracts you to write such stories?

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I find it interesting that so many of you like to write dark atmospheres (myself included). If I may ask, what attracts you to write such stories?

Causal human nature, would be my reason... Like how would humanity react in these situations. The interesting thing is, while a lot of these stores are fictional, real life occurrences of people with similar personalities do exist... And quite simply to provoke thought...

I think for all of us, there probably are sub-concious reasons, but that is for another day.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I would actually like to know that too, if only because I honestly don't like such dark stuff and am curious. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back