• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
It worked! I gave the staircase the tile effect of an open cliff Secret Base entrance while I was at it. Didn't even need a signpost event to go with it. Everything works EXACTLY as planned! No "Would you like to make your Secret Base here?" text, no " 's BASE" area text, no need to register the place as a base, the decorations still remain there when I leave and come back, even the pack up option simply puts away the decorations without losing ownership of the place!

Just one pestering little harmless glitch I'd still like fixed if possible. The decorations still look glitchy when in the middle of placing them. Still looks fine afterward though. That's the last thing wrong with the place. If that can be fixed, this decorator-able basement will be flawless and I can start editing the decorations into better furniture!

That one perplexes me. I assume that the script which uses cmdA6 was inserted properly, right? Also, is it all decorations, or just the tile ones?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
That one perplexes me. I assume that the script which uses cmdA6 was inserted properly, right? Also, is it all decorations, or just the tile ones?

Just the tile ones. Plushies and cushions work fine. I didn't mess with any scripts since the needed ones came with the the Secret Base map I edited.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey guys, 1 question.

This clean FR rom, I inserted a bigger bootscreen and repointed it. There's nothing wrong with the bootscreen though, it works really fine!
BUT! When I played through the game, the LR Buttons which bring up the Help System doesn't work no more! I checked the options and its in and button mode is HELP. When you open the Start Menu, the blue thing at the bottom is there but the help screen doesn't come up.

It really isn't a problem for me actually I'm glad it's gone but I'm just curious why?

Does this happen to you when you insert a larger bootscreen?

karatekid552

Years
Hey guys, 1 question.

This clean FR rom, I inserted a bigger bootscreen and repointed it. There's nothing wrong with the bootscreen though, it works really fine!
BUT! When I played through the game, the LR Buttons which bring up the Help System doesn't work no more! I checked the options and its in and button mode is HELP. When you open the Start Menu, the blue thing at the bottom is there but the help screen doesn't come up.

It really isn't a problem for me actually I'm glad it's gone but I'm just curious why?

Does this happen to you when you insert a larger bootscreen?

Weren't you just asking how to remove the help? Lol, I would give it another try. Make sure that the help system works on the clean rom, insert the bootscreen, and see if it still works. It could be a really neat find.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Weren't you just asking how to remove the help? Lol, I would give it another try. Make sure that the help system works on the clean rom, insert the bootscreen, and see if it still works. It could be a really neat find.

Yep tried it on a clean rom, inserted a tileset worth 2056 bytes and help system got ditched. And yeah it works on a clean FR Rom.

Here's what I did. Download the attachments and apply it to a clean FR rom.

Scripting question again. A sample starter script that doesn't involve the rival. All I can manage to do is the "Do you like Bulabasaur? No. Do you like Squirtle? No. Do you like Charmander? Yes. Here you go. I'm only allowed to give you 1 Pokemon." That.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Yep tried it on a clean rom, inserted a tileset worth 2056 bytes and help system got ditched. And yeah it works on a clean FR Rom.

Here's what I did. Download the attachments and apply it to a clean FR rom.

Scripting question again. A sample starter script that doesn't involve the rival. All I can manage to do is the "Do you like Bulabasaur? No. Do you like Squirtle? No. Do you like Charmander? Yes. Here you go. I'm only allowed to give you 1 Pokemon." That.

Well, you could create a multichoice box and use that, or do something simillar to the five houses where there are 3 balls you pick up one and it shows you the starter. You can say no and look at another one, but as soon as you say yes, it sets the var so that you can't see the other ones and it gives you the pokemon.

Edit: I looked at your patch, and this was not just a bootscreen insert. You also removed the titlescreen and intro. Those could deffinately have had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Oh yeah! Just remembered! That should be it! Sorry.
Maybe the HELP System loads from the titlescreen and without the titlescreen, it would not load. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About the script:
Okay thanks!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I compile this script as a script event in A-map
Code:
'---------------
#org 0x800F00
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 goto 0x8800F14
if 0x0 goto 0x8800FF1
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x800F14
nop
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x800FF1
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0x8800F18 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Hey whippersnapper!\nCome back her..."
closeonkeypress
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x800F18
= Hey whippersnapper!\nCome back here!
But instead of just stopping the player, the game freezes, is there something wrong?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I compile this script as a script event in A-map
'---------------
#org 0x800F00
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 goto 0x8800F14
if 0x0 goto 0x8800FF1
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x800F14
nop
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x800FF1
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0x8800F18 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Hey whippersnapper!\nCome back her..."
closeonkeypress
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x800F18
= Hey whippersnapper!\nCome back here!

Try if that works.
I'd say that when you're not locking the player (making the player unable to move?) during the script, and use "release" anyhow, that will lead to an interrupt that forces the game to freeze.

If this thing is a triggered script like it would make sense for it to be, you should be using "trigger flags" (if such exist in FRLG or RSE) to prevent this script data from loading at all, which you have here done in parts by refering to bit 0x828.
What I meant that you might not want to use a checkbit at all, and by the specifics of the trigger events, define whether a script data is loaded when the player steps on them.

That way, the game won't start executing script data during the gameplay that does especially nothing (even though it doesn't do "anything", it may stop the player on the ground for a while and the player may notice the game "lagging").
But I might be wrong though, triggered scripts may be built in like that in these games, especially since you're not automatically "locked" to the script.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Okay fixed it. Thanks miksy91!

Question again.
If this code was used
Code:
msgbox @sample 0x5
a yes or no box will come up.
If I want the script to continue when player says yes, I put
Code:
if 0x1 goto @sample1
right?
But what if I want the script to continue when player says
NO?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019

Question again.
If this code was used
Code:
msgbox @sample 0x5
Code:
if 0x1 goto @sample1
right?
NO?

Not quite try something similar to this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x5
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto @yes
release
end
#org @yes 
msgbox @2 0x6 
release 
end  

#org @1 
= Is today Sunday?

#org @2 
= You selected YES.[CODE] 

For the best scripting tutorial, highly suggest DIEGOISAWESOME's tuts

http: //www.poke  community.com/showthread.php?t=164276

Try this out and if it doesn't work let us know.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years

Question again.
If this code was used
Code:
msgbox @sample 0x5
Code:
if 0x1 goto @sample1
right?
NO?
When you call a "Yes/No" box and click the answer, the game will write either 00 or 01 into a specific ram address, depending on which one you answered.

So like you can assume by what you're saying here, it writes 01 into this ram address if you chose YES.

That "if 0x1 goto @address" checks whether the value of this ram address is 01. If it is, jump operation occurs that makes the script continue at @address.
If the value is NOT 01, the script will continue normally after "if 0x1 goto @address" instruction.

So, if you chose "NO" instead, 00 would be written into this ram address. Next, you check with "if 0x1 goto @address" command if the value of that ram address is 01 or not. Because it is 00, the script will continue after the command, not in @address (it only jumps here if that value is 01).

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2013
Can someone help me insert a female mugshot into B/W 2 or maybe just tell me how it's done? BWME doesn't work for B/W2, unfortunately. :(

Thanks!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Does anyone know of any non-ASM ways to skip the introduction sequence, and go straight to naming the hero?

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
A few simple questions that I couldn't find the answers too anywhere:

Where is Prof. Birch's trainer sprite offset in UNZL? (Or Tile Molester)

Where is the Team Aqua offset in UNZL? (Again, or Tile Molester)

Those are both for Sapphire, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I decided to move on to another map.The basement thing is minor enough to be dealt with later. This time, I'm editing map 1.2 (May's house, first floor) Nothing fancy, just fancying it up a bit and redoing the construction to have it resemble map 1.0 (Brenden's house, that one I expanded to make room for the basement).

I'm having problems with expanding the map though. When I expand it's dimensions, the map crashes upon attempting to enter it. I tried it again step by step, and strangely, it allowed me to expand it by one more line. Anything more than that, and it will crash. Why does this happen? Brenden's house didn't suffer when I expanded it's dimensions from 11 width to 17 width, why is May's giving me trouble when I tried the same thing? The only other difference between them was that I changed the tileset in May's house, but nothing went wrong from that.

Pics below: Brenden's functioning house, May's crashing house, and May's currently compatible house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back