• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parks and Recreation

Years
rs_500x230-140109093611-LeslieandAnn_ParksandRec.gif

If you don't watch this, don't bother interacting with me.

Alright, jokes aside, I felt a strong need to post this thread as it's my favorite show of all time and I need to find others on this site who enjoy it, because I honestly don't have anyone to talk about it with and that's depressing. Anyway, Parks and Recreation is a mockumentary show that has drawn comparisons to The Office (although in my opinion they are very different), for its style of comedy and delivery. It currently has released six seasons and the seventh season, coming this fall, will be its final season (unfortunately).

There's so much I could ask to start the discussion off, so I'll go with something simple - who is your favorite character on the show, and why? What is your favorite moment of theirs?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I watch this with my boyfriend since he loves it. I really like it too and I'd watch it if I was running through the channels and found it. Obviously everyone's favorite character should be Ron Swanson though. Otherwise just...don't associate with me.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I watched The Office first, and I don't like Parks and Recreation as much, but thats probably because I haven't seen enough of it to fall in love with all of the characters. I have seen quite a few episodes, and they are hilarious, albeit in a different way than The Office. Also, Ron Swanson looks and almost acts exactly like my high school biology teacher.. which is kind of awesome.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since The Office has been mentioned, I actually want to go on record to say I never liked it. So I have no clue what hooked me to Parks and Rec. The Office does have a more killer theme song though, so I gotta give it that at least.

Years
Syd knows what she's talking about! I didn't like The Office nearly as much, to me Parks and Recreation had better developed characters with more depth and meaning behind them. Of course that's an opinion and I'm sure others will object.

Anyway, the favorite character pick is very difficult. I would say Leslie, but for some reason I always laugh at Tom's antics, and I think he wins although Ben, Leslie, and Ron are all my favorites. I love the whole cast to death. Chris is hilarious. April. Andy is such a goofball I CANT CHOOSE HELP

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I love Parks and Recreation! It's hilarious. I never like The Office either. Parks and Rec is funnier by far. Favorite character? Thats tough, I seriously love them all. I'd have to go with Leslie though. She's hilarious and I love Amy.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I marathoned all of this in a week with my roommate because we needed something to watch. We kinda liked the first few episodes and stuck with it even though we weren't totally feeling it (mostly because we were too lazy to decide on something else to pull up on Netflix while we ate dinner) and then we hit season 2 and... oooomg. It got SO good. I don't know if I've ever watched another show where I laughed out loud in every single episode.

I loved every single character. Even the annoying ones. It's to the point where I don't think I could even pick a favourite. I loved how it was a comedy that didn't really put anyone down (except Jerry... damnit Jerry!) and I always felt so good after I finished an episode. This is easily one of the best show's I've ever seen. I can't believe it took me so long to discover it.

Also, I couldn't get into The Office either. After we watched Parks & Rec, my roommate and I tried to watch The Office (US) since we heard P&R took a lot of cues from it and after two episodes we still just weren't feeling it at all...

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I've been interested in watching it since I've been admiring/crushing on Chris Pratt lately. I really enjoyed his part in Guardians of the Galaxy a lot and he was also good in the The Lego Movie. He seems like a funny , nice, and humble person and Andy looks to fit his real personality a lot. So Chris Pratt alone, has convinced me to watch Parks and Rec lol

Well of course, the rest of the cast too, it looks like a great cast.I loved Amy Poehler in SNL and Mean Girls.She is also really funny and a really inspiring woman, especially to girls. I've heard good things about Nick Offerman and his part too. His character looks really funny too as well.

I personally loved The Office, which I know Parks and Rec has a similar style to (both are a mockumentary in an office). However, since I've never seen Parks and Rec, I really can't compare the two.But I'm definitely giving the show a chance now and maybe hopefully I can catch up with it by the time the final season starts. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Heard of the show, but have never seen it; I'll make sure to check it out tomorrow or Monday. Is it like an Arrested Development comedy or The Office comedy show?

Treecko

Years
Heard of the show, but have never seen it; I'll make sure to check it out tomorrow or Monday. Is it like an Arrested Development comedy or The Office comedy show?

It's more like The Office and is always compared to it since they're both mockumentries and both have an office setting, but they have a lot of differences too.

I've only watched two episodes so far and I'm enjoying the series. I feel like I can definitely catch up before the season 7 premiere thanks to Netflix. :)

Years
Just to warn you, the first season is the worst part of the show. If you get past it, then you're golden. Seasons two three and four are all amazing, and five and six are pretty good too.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Just to warn you, the first season is the worst part of the show. If you get past it, then you're golden. Seasons two three and four are all amazing, and five and six are pretty good too.

Well the first season is only 6 episodes long so that would only be 2 hours of my life wasted. Is there a story, like if you don't watch an episode you may not know what's going on?

Years
Well the first season is only 6 episodes long so that would only be 2 hours of my life wasted. Is there a story, like if you don't watch an episode you may not know what's going on?

You should still watch it - it's not terrible, but it got very mixed reviews and for a reason. The difference shows when you watch the first episode of season 2.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
UGH THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.

I marathon'd it on Netflix a few months ago and it's been my favorite show right up there with Will & Grace ever since. I haven't seen the newest season though because I didn't bother to set my DVR to record it until it was well into the season and I didn't want to miss any spoilers, but dummy me watched the season finale and I was sooo disappointed. What the hell is going to happen next season, is all I ask. :\

Treecko

Years

I've seen 2 out of 6 episodes of season 1 and liked them so I think I'll survive. I'm marathoning , or trying to marathon them so I can definitely be caught up for season 7. I'll watch all that's available on Netflix (up to season 5 so far) and the find the rest else where.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
idk about "best show," but maybe I just don't get it. My room mate recorded a bunch of it so I sat down and watched some and while I appreciate Amy Poehler and Rob Lowe a lot - like a LOT - I don't think the humor is for me. It just doesn't really make me laugh nine times out of ten and it's nice background noise, but that's about it. although, when I do laugh it's usually at that odd couple whose names I can't recall. I enjoyed watching them throw vegan bacon in the trash because that's where it belongs lmao

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I've been meaning to watch this and 30 Rock for ages, as I've heard great things about both - and like both of them from the SNL days and late night talk show circuit. Been reluctant though (moreso for this) because I've heard it's done in the style of The Office... and I find that show just annoying.

Someone want to push me to start it?

Years
I've been meaning to watch this and 30 Rock for ages, as I've heard great things about both - and like both of them from the SNL days and late night talk show circuit. Been reluctant though (moreso for this) because I've heard it's done in the style of The Office... and I find that show just annoying.

Someone want to push me to start it?

The Office and Parks are different shows. Some people love both, some hate both, some like one but not the other. I mean, me and most of my friends think P&R is hilarious and none of us watch The Office, and one of my friends doesn't like P&R at all. It's a matter of taste I guess, but I suggest you try Parks out, try watching The pilot Season 2 episode or one of the Ron and Tammy episdoes, as those are especially good!

Treecko

Years
Yeah really the only similarity to Parks and The Office is that they're filmed the same way, and that they are both mockumentaries. Though both are really. Personally I love both, but I lost interest in The Office pretty much after Michael left. I've just finished season one of Parks tonight (probably since it's only six episodes long). A lot of parts in episode 6 really surprised me. Like when Ann finds out Andy could of taken his cast off two weeks ago. Or when Mark fell in to the pit. I'm really enjoying the show though and want to keep watching. I'm now curious as to what happens to the pit. Like if Leslie actually makes it into a park or at least if it's turned into something. I definitely recommend it, Triforce. I started with season one , cause I'm not sure if it's one of those shows that I can watch at random and still get the story. I'm guessing, though, since it's a sitcom, I can watch some episodes at random and be fine. I like watching shows with stories in order though, so I won't watch episodes with major spoilers or major parts of the storyline.

laugh it's usually at that odd couple whose names I can't recall. I enjoyed watching them throw vegan bacon in the trash because that's where it belongs lmao

I'm not entire sure who that is, but I looked "vegan bacon" up and it looks like Ron and April, who aren't a couple. April though is married to Chris Pratt's part, Andy though (which I only know cause of tumblr) and they an odd and really cute couple. Someone who knows the show more can back me up on this.

Last edited:
Back