• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Helio Version

Which starter would you pick?

• Chamelica - Grass Starter

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • Kittorch - Fire Starter

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • Pireel - Water Starter

Votes: 106 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Well, screens are coming in Friday, so I cannot post them just yet, but if need be I will edit this post with them tomorrow if nobody posts after this. I do hope that someone DOES post after this, because we'd like some more of a fanbase.

So, I'll begin with what I missed on Monday....Our third CHARACTER UPDATE!
---

Prof. Charles Palm, Ph.D

palmq.png

Professor Palm was born in Oriole Town. As a boy, he was always obsessed with animals, in particular pokemon. Science was his favorite subject in school, with his report cards showing all A's all the way through high school. For class science fairs, Charlie normally took first prize. The beginning of his triumphs was in 11th grade, when he invented an early prototype of the pokedex. He then attended Mokep University, where he graduated *** laude with a degree in biology. He took graduate classes in biology at Sterom University and graduated again *** laude.

Armed with his masters in biology, Professor Palm returned to Mokep University and taught senior biology there, as well as several graduate courses. Over his career, his thoughts began to stray to his old science fair projects. Discovering his prototype of the pokedex, he set out to perfect it. With the help of the fellow professor Vinnie Pine, he perfected the pokedex, and gave his ideas to an older man named Oak in Pallet town, Kanto. The pair then quit their jobs to test the device. Unfortunately, the duo accidently ran into and enraged a Leafegon. The pokemon attacked the unarmed pair, severely wounding Professor Palm and killing Professor Pine. Limping back to Oriole Town, Professor Palm had his wounds treated, but could never fully recover. Instead of going out into the world himself, he resolved to learn as much about pokemon as he could and encourage others to complete the task he failed at.

Professor Palm is a kind, gentle, man, though he can get excited easily. He retains his child-like curiosity and is often considered an inspiring figure. Time and Life magazine called him the most influential man of the decade.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 28, 2014
oh hey, i can make a post before friday. ill feel helpful haha

really liking what i see so far. very well made from the looks of things. the day this game or a beta gets released will be a good one indeed haha. good luck on it, and keep up the good work. ill be keeping my eye on this thread :D

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Looks good, but the Professor's sprite looks a bit too tall for the 240x160 resolution. Maybe use the FRLG Oak sprite as a base?

Wilcomon

Best mapper you've ever seen
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2012
Loolz i was begon(making a game on rmxp)
i was thinking, al profs are tree's i call mine palm(game isnt there no thread to)
i was looking for some hacks 2 play(bored cuz can't find how to let give starterpokemon)
came up hire and saw PROF palm,(idk from this before)
but may i use it in my game(or i will chance his name?)

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
YAY! This is the most enjoyable time for me. I get to share the sprites. :D

014arachnia.gif

Arachnia
The BoneSpider Pokemon
Type: Poison/Bug
Ability: Poison Point

These Pokemon bathe in acid to replenish their supply of poison. It is stored in a gore-like container on its abdomen, shaped like a homosapien skull.

015venochnia.gif

Venochnid
The Vile Pokemon
Type: Poison/Bug
Ability: Poison Point

Venochnid carry their eggs around strung across the front of their skull-like abdomen. This is because the warmth of the poison inside of them speeds up the incubation process.

Arachnia>>lv. 35>>Venochnid

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Thats actually not bad... who's your spriter? Forgive me I dont feel like viewing the first post.

EDIT: I just saw your video, u might wanna change the players movement speed he looks like he's skating on ice.
Also why are you using that speech box, why not use the traditional pokemon one it looks better. and why are your map transitions like that the doors should open and the maps should be connected so each map seamlessly transitions like the orginal pokemon games.

Last edited:

Starrcasm

Years
Thats actually not bad... who's your spriter? Forgive me I dont feel like viewing the first post.

EDIT: I just saw your video, u might wanna change the players movement speed he looks like he's skating on ice.
Also why are you using that speech box, why not use the traditional pokemon one it looks better. and why are your map transitions like that the doors should open and the maps should be connected so each map seamlessly transitions like the orginal pokemon games.

Ah, I'm sorry. Our video is EXTREMELY outdated. That was before we used the starter kit. We'll put up a new one within the week.

Screenshot update tomorrow: Route 302, Whimbrel Gardens, and Palm's lab! :D

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
New logo put up on first post. Doesn't look good on a black background, for you can see the edges of yellow.

Starrmyt (Evan) made this. :)

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
Ah, I'm sorry. Our video is EXTREMELY outdated. That was before we used the starter kit. We'll put up a new one within the week.

Screenshot update tomorrow: Route 302, Whimbrel Gardens, and Palm's lab! :D

actually I thought it was pretty good, and Aqua, isn't level 35 a bit much for a bug pokemon, or this is not our stereotypical caterpie?

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
I like the new screens, they're a lot better than the previous ones. And also you seem to be the only game using that specific style now.

The new logo is ok, but it's basically a recolour of the normal one. I'd say you should base it around your name, but it isn't a stone/metal xD

On a side note, I don't think you should keep updating so much, it seems one person posts, a creator does, another person posts, two creators do and on and on.

Starrcasm

Years
Thanks, SkyriderStas! And to answer to that, I have three new screenshots, all of which are showcasing the new Dual Screen function we're bringing into Pokemon Helio. :)

chamelica.png
-
kittorch.png
-
pireel.png

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Thanks, SkyriderStas! And to answer to that, I have three new screenshots, all of which are showcasing the new Dual Screen function we're bringing into Pokemon Helio.

I don't know why so many people are introducing dual screens into their project. The ENTIRE point of the the dual screen for the ds is so one can be touch screen. With out the touch aspect, even if you can click on it, it loses its purpose completely. Really, if you need to have more stuff on the screen, just increase the screen resolution.

Also, The lab looks really odd. It looks like there in some futuristic space ship with the oddly shaped windows and all of the white. My main problem is how empty it looks, even if it has other machines in the rest of the lab, your going to want the area where your getting your very first pokemon to be exciting. I think one thing that would help immensly would be a design on the carpet, as right now its just a plain color...

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
Can't say much about the story, it's just a teaser...

But I'm truly in LOVE (for emphasis) with your Fakemons ans sprites :)

EDIT: PC games can work with different input devices, which makes PC one of the best target machines for games.
One can safely assume that everyone will have a mouse and a keyboard, and mouse being a pointer device suits a game better than a keyboard. If it's not a an old text based game, then almost everyone expects the mouse to be one of the input devices.
Nonetheless, fan game developers try to imitate the actual games, hence why dual screens are liked.
And MANY people, including me, have tablet PCs, which actually make touch input, touch.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
EDIT: PC games can work with different input devices, which makes PC one of the best target machines for games.
One can safely assume that everyone will have a mouse and a keyboard, and mouse being a pointer device suits a game better than a keyboard. If it's not a an old text based game, then almost everyone expects the mouse to be one of the input devices.
Nonetheless, fan game developers try to imitate the actual games, hence why dual screens are liked.
And MANY people, including me, have tablet PCs, which actually make touch input, touch.
I would fully disagree with that, but doing so would be considered spam. This post is probably spam anyway. Sorry.

Starrcasm

Years
Hm...well, I've taken all of this into consideration, and considering that I'm a beginning scripter I cannot perform touch-screen styled functions quite yet. All that the bottom screen would do for now is an extra visual.

And since the public doesn't like that, I think it would be in our best interests to take out the dual screen for now and leave it as one. I may make the one screen bigger, though. :P

I'd also like to say that we're taking on a new tile artist, so we'll be redoing the lab to make it look like NASA didn't design it. ;) This should also make the overall aesthetic feel of the game alot more...nice.

A shoutout to mr. ck, we're glad you love the sprites, and while that is a central portion of the game, the real thing that makes us stand out from the crowd is our story. We'd love to show you but we dont want to reveal too much. That and our plot editor [Bards Sword] is currently on vacation in Israel.

Speaking of vacation, I'll be gone for the next two weeks, so you'll be getting all of your updates in that time from Aquakip. We have a slew of new fakemon sprites and we're nearing on completing our pokedex of 107 fakemon. So that'll be fun to see, no?

Alright, I think I've said enough for one day. Feel free to post your thoughts on the whole dual screen thing. Because I'm still kind of on the fence about that.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
Years
@Starrmyt: There is only like, one person who is doesn't like the dual screen (at least from the comments in this thread)
I'd suggest you to have more people comment on this.
But it's up you anyway, if you don't think you can implement it, you don't have to :P

@Maruno If you would elaborate, even if it's in a PM?

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Hi guys.

"Vacation" is putting in mildly. I'm actually doing an intense history program over here for seven weeks. Yeah, its awesome. But I DO have access to wifi. Which means I can still make updates and stuff. Which allows me to come to the question: do you guys want me to reveal more of the plot? And how much? Do you still want to be a little surprised? I'm taking advantage of Starrmyt's leave of absence here, cause I happen to know that he's also in Israel also, except he's on a touring program without access to the internet. Soooo...

How much do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back