• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years

Map Name: Presinus Maze
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: I guess it's not that bad. =P It's for my hack Destiny. A maze... Is it easy or hard? Or normal? I dunno, I think it's fine.. But what do you guys think?
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Is it wild or human-made? If it's wild, it looks too plain and unnatural. Try to make it less straight,put a few other trees or boulders instead a one tree making the whole maze.
BTW,nice tiles. =)

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
Reviewed Map:

Map Name: Antian City
Comments: This map is more bigger than the last, and is the second city in a certain hack. It maybe took, 1-2 hours to make? I dunno, I don't remember. But that's not important. xP. Those two towers... Well when I showcase this certain hack you'll find out why they're there.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

This is very nice map and has the aspects needed in every town.

Not much to say but in the far left side you should probably add a person or a sign... 9.5/10

Map Name: Vixen town
Map Game: FireRed, though not in a hack yet
Comments: A map I've been working on over the past couple days on and off... It is one of my best maps yet and I hope to use it in a hack soon... Please rate and review...

Credits to Zeikku for ROM base
Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Map Name: Vixen town
Map Game: FireRed, though not in a hack yet
Comments: A map I've been working on over the past couple days on and off... It is one of my best maps yet and I hope to use it in a hack soon... Please rate and review...

Credits to Zeikku for ROM base
Mapshot:

Spoiler:
Review: Alright, first off, there is way way way much free space. Add more houses, trees, flowers, ect. Fill up the free space. And why is there tall grass in the first town? Why is there tall grass in any town at all? You should remove it and replace it with trees, flowers, houses, ect. Not to be rude but this is your best map? You could do better I bet. Also, the mountains don't line up correctly.
Suggestions: Fill in free space, make mountains line up, remove tall grass. The thing that bothers me the most is the free space. Add more stuff.

Map Name: Sylvitran Village
Comments: Just another map for my hack Destiny. ^.^ Hope you guys like it. :> The rocks south is, well, you have to find out. xD; Anyways, here it is;
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Reviewed Map:
Review: Alright, first off, there is way way way much free space. Add more houses, trees, flowers, ect. Fill up the free space. And why is there tall grass in the first town? Why is there tall grass in any town at all? You should remove it and replace it with trees, flowers, houses, ect. Not to be rude but this is your best map? You could do better I bet. Also, the mountains don't line up correctly.
Suggestions: Fill in free space, make mountains line up, remove tall grass. The thing that bothers me the most is the free space. Add more stuff.

Comments: Just another map for my hack Destiny. ^.^ Hope you guys like it. :> The rocks south is, well, you have to find out. xD; Anyways, here it is;
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Sweet, I got myself a nice map to review.

First things first, the south cave bit. It looks a tad too square for my liking. You did so good on the mountains at the top too... Slightly disappointing... As well as tile errors on the same bit (in the bottom left and right corners of the lowest part). Also, on the mountains near the top, you don't have to cram everything onto it, you can leave a few gaps here and there, making it look more... Well, natural. I am also convinced that outside the PC, if you go far right, you may be able to see the border block, which ahas an error. I'm a doofus, I didn't scroll right enough, as the map filled my page. It looks fine in fact.

But, to the good points: No wide spacing, so that is good, Trees are nicely placed imo, and it does look playable. I personally like the flower placement (but that is just me).

So, my rating is... 8/10.

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
Reviewed Map:
Mapshot:
[/FONT]
Spoiler:

Review:I like the map , but i agree with Banjora Marxvile, the cave is a bit to square.The map is filled, there's not to much empty space but that's good.
Almost everything's in place perfectly.The trees lok cool placed.

Suggestions:Make the cave a little bit less square.

my rating is 9/10

Map Name: Zapper Forest
Map Game:FireRed
Comments: It's just another map from my hack.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review: All the mountains line up, and that's good. =P You're tall grass placement isn't that good though. And the rocks should be scattered, not lined up in rows. And that gatehouse is real long, but that's not important.You're tree placement isn't that bad actually. I also like your use of ledges.
Suggestions: Fix tall grass placement, maybe add some flowers, fix placement of rocks. Either than that, it doesn't look that bad.

Map Name: New Bark Town
Comments: Just a New Bark Town remake I made in a couple of hours. Hope you guys like it~
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Map Name: Rosaceus Forest
Comments: A map I made last night and felt too lazy to upload xD; It's a forest, but there's a gym well, the leader's a bug lover. =) And I used big trees because well, it's a forest. I think this is one of my best maps. Anyways, here it is:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
way too short for a forest, and you don't even have to go through any tall grass. the mountains look too square, I think. also, the path below the GYM and the mountain look leading out of the forest looks long and uninteresting, with a long path and nothing happening. :/

on a lighter side, I like the map alright, until the long path at the bottom of the map leading to the end. You could add a ledge to the path going to the GYM, and maybe a path through the top-right part to get to the GYM, although I'm not sure it would look good. Overall though, it's a nice map apart from the things I mentioned, but it's certainly not one of your best maps.

7.5/10

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012

Comments: Just a New Bark Town remake I made in a couple of hours. Hope you guys like it~
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
It's good to see you improve very well, Destiny Demon. I could possibly say that the map is good. Though one thing that bothers me is the path in the middle/center. Don't you think it's too big? Why don't you play with it and make it a little bit smaller then bigger then smaller (it's a bit confusing. I can get you a screenshot if you want a demonstration) and different than the original shape of paths to make it look elegant and original! xD;

8/10

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2010
Reviews:
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Comments: I like this one, it looks pretty natural and space has been taken into consideration pretty well (no huge open spaces where people get lost because of the lack of objects, lol). I like that youve added those mountains at the top of the map, and that youve made them interactive by adding caves.
There are some parts of you map that I think are illogical, for example, how do you get out of that house in the middle right after you jump down the ledge? I also think it would have been cool if you forced players to walk through some caves, right now theyre only optional...
But overall, pretty good:
Rating: 8/10

Mapshot:
[/FONT]
Spoiler:
Comments: You added the Pokemart right? Or did you add some other bits and pieces? Anyways, I think that you should probably stick to using the same tileset when making maps (cross generation tilesets look pretty weird), and that if youre adding an extention to a map that exists in the Pokemon world, you should probably place it somewhere where it doesnt cut into an existing map (Rute 29 in this case). Maybe you could have added the Pokemart to the south?
Rating: 4/10

Now for my own map, cant wait for the reactions after Ive crucified everyone elses, lol:
Map Name: Carved Cavern
Comments: The idea behind this cave was that it was carved out by an ancient river that ran through the cave, before changing course many years ago. Hence the many different ways that players could take, the dead ends and sand remaining on the ground:
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Now for my own map, cant wait for the reactions after Ive crucified everyone elses, lol:
Map Name: Carved Cavern
Comments: The idea behind this cave was that it was carved out by an ancient river that ran through the cave, before changing course many years ago. Hence the many different ways that players could take, the dead ends and sand remaining on the ground:
Spoiler:

Review: Don't get me wrong, this map looks like the beginning of an epic cave, but its playability is almost non-existent. The main issue that I have with this map is that you have given the player little to no space to move as all of the corridors are one or two tiles in width. As I can see from your reviews, you like to keep things 'natural', but I feel like I must warn you not to sacrifice playability in order to reconstruct what a cave would look like in the real world. Personally, I'd rather play on a well thought out and contrived map over one that wants to represent reality at the cost of maneuverability.

The scheme of the ancient river is a nice idea and beyond the restictions you've placed on the player, this map really shows a great sense of your natural surroundings

Suggestions: Open up the map so that the player can move to a greater extent, because what you have now is extremely restrictive. I also noticed a tile error in which you did not give the bottom-left corner of a mointain piece a sandy base, despite being in the middle of a sand patch :P

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
Reviewed Map:

Review: All the mountains line up, and that's good. =P You're tall grass placement isn't that good though. And the rocks should be scattered, not lined up in rows. And that gatehouse is real long, but that's not important.You're tree placement isn't that bad actually. I also like your use of ledges.
Suggestions: Fix tall grass placement, maybe add some flowers, fix placement of rocks. Either than that, it doesn't look that bad.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Map Review:
Nice i like it.You've added the pokemart that's good, but there's an tile error at bottom left of the river.
I don't like the pokemart, it seems it doesn't fit with the 4th gen tiles.
And you could maybe add a tree or two on the left side of the bottom right house.The map also looks to big.
My Rating: 7/10

Map Name:Route 504
Map Game:FireRed English BPRE 1.0
Comments:Just another map from my hack.The exit to the North is to the Pokemon Leauge (victory road),the exit to the south is to a town and the exit to the west is also leads to a town Hope you like it.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Map Name:Route 504
Map Game:FireRed English BPRE 1.0
Comments:Just another map from my hack.The exit to the North is to the Pokemon Leauge (victory road),the exit to the south is to a town and the exit to the west is also leads to a town Hope you like it.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review: While the layout and playability is good, I think that some parts of this map are unnatural:

One is the road beginnings, or rather where the grass ends. Imo, you should have a space on the road, especially the asphalt one on the bottom, because such roads aren't supposed to be directly connected to grass.

Another thing seems to be the sand stache in the middle of that small lake. I think that it's too small to have such a feature, so either enlarge it or remove the sand stache.

Rating: 7.5/10, without including tile taste

Map

Name: Ezel Vicinity
Game: Fire Red [BPRE]
Hack: Stellar Crimson
Comments: Do not bother asking for map borders, everything is set so that there will be no problems with them.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Review: While the layout and playability is good, I think that some parts of this map are unnatural:

One is the road beginnings, or rather where the grass ends. Imo, you should have a space on the road, especially the asphalt one on the bottom, because such roads aren't supposed to be directly connected to grass.

Another thing seems to be the sand stache in the middle of that small lake. I think that it's too small to have such a feature, so either enlarge it or remove the sand stache.

Rating: 7.5/10, without including tile taste

Map

Comments: Do not bother asking for map borders, everything is set so that there will be no problems with them.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Nice mapping m8, but it's a little too straight. D: Also the cave is too easy to reach to. But it's a good map anyway. :D
I know that doesn't help much so I'm gonna give you some advices: make the route more complicated, player could just walk in a line. Add a twist where you'd need it to be, blocking player from proceeding, like a tree or a ledge.

(gj and gz for starting a new hack)

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years

Map Name: Persihere Village

Comments: A new starter town I did. It's an early WIP, and I gotta say that I like it, but it needs something down the bottom area and to fill up space.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*
Rated Map:
Spoiler:

Rating: 7/10

Reason: The map is a bit too straight. I think the cave needs to be hard-to-reach, for that touch of complexity. Also, I don't exactly like the flower palettes, they should be more...blue, I think.

Suggestions:
Make it less straight and more complex. The palette is up to you though :P

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

Map

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: Overall, it's a good simple map. The only problem, is that it's maybe a little too simple, the player only has to go straight right to pass the route. I like the look of the map, but the playability is bad.

Rating: 6.5/10

----------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Obsidian Cave (part 2)
Map Game: Pokemon DarkGrey (Ruby)
Comments: A very watery cave, underneath a map I posted on the previous page
Credits: Kyledove
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years

Review: Overall, it's a good simple map. The only problem, is that it's maybe a little too simple, the player only has to go straight right to pass the route. I like the look of the map, but the playability is bad.

Rating: 6.5/10

----------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Obsidian Cave (part 2)
Map Game: Pokemon DarkGrey (Ruby)
Comments: A very watery cave, underneath a map I posted on the previous page
Credits: Kyledove
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review:hmm,i actually like this map,the tiles make me liked this map much more..hahax.I like how your rocks/mountains/hills/cave or whatevr you called it,they look far apart but at the same time have their own sense of placement.But to me,theres still like too many empty spaces,for the top cave,i don't really care about that much since the hero cannot see them,but i suggest adding something to the water,or like widen the cave tiles.

Rating: 7/10

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

Map

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Wow, this looks good! The map is beautiful, but the playability is horrible, as everyone else said. Also, the cave is easy to get to, maybe put a ledge on the path, or a tree, to force you to take the other path, and get rid of the other ledge. There's not much else to say, but you did a good job on it! :3
----------------------------
Here's my map, now! :3
No hack, just a map for practice.
Spoiler:

Credits to lalo0101, Laidjon, and Zein for the rombase.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Wow, this looks good! The map is beautiful, but the playability is horrible, as everyone else said. Also, the cave is easy to get to, maybe put a ledge on the path, or a tree, to force you to take the other path, and get rid of the other ledge. There's not much else to say, but you did a good job on it! :3
----------------------------
Here's my map, now! :3
No hack, just a map for practice.
Spoiler:

Credits to lalo0101, Laidjon, and Zein for the rombase.
I like those Dewford trees. =3 They look sweet.
The Dewford tree in southeast of the map looks weird. Otherwise,a very good map. 8/10
~
Map name: Dark Woods
Game: For my unnamed ruby hack.
Description: Short woods which are the habitat of many dark-type pokemon.
Spoiler:

Ignore the palette of the "pine dust". I already changed it.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Map name: Dark Woods
Game: For my unnamed ruby hack.
Description: Short woods which are the habitat of many dark-type pokemon.
Spoiler:

Ignore the palette of the "pine dust". I already changed it.
Review: First thing I noticed is that it's really scrunched up. No a whole lot of space. Some ledges aren't needed in the map, and just cause more non-free space to move. And there's also a dead end, and you get stuck. =\ Probably because you got stuck on how to make it a non-dead end, but you didn't know how to make it because of the lack of space.
Suggestions: Make more space in your map. With that, everything else can be easily fixed. =P

Map Name: Virulian Island
Comments: lmao Don't remember how I thought of the name. Just and island made for fun. Not for a hack or anything.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back