• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Screenshot/Music Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 27, 2021
How do you guys like this for a new project me and my friend are working on?

Animation-2.gif

screeny.png
Damn almost had even me fooled, If I didnt know any better I would have thought that, that title screen was like malachites lmao, looks alright

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Oh, and what's with the pink Gyarados?

I'm assuming it's supposed to be a new Pokémon, but it looks an awful lot like Gyarados...

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Oh, and what's with the pink Gyarados?

I'm assuming it's supposed to be a new Pokémon, but it looks an awful lot like Gyarados...

We don't know yet, :P, we got permission to use some concept art from someone, but we haven't decided to use it as either a cooler shiny gyarados, or a new fakemon, although I'm voting for new shniy gyarados :d

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2010
i think the pokemon dimension hack shots look amazing, i wanna play it to see if it is actually any good. i think it will be immense. i say the same to sonce it seems to have a certain style. but i prefer many of the nintendo games in 2d. but they all look amazing.

i forgot to ask; do any of you give lessons and stuff you should all be making tutorials on how to make them look this good. and i am not just talking about you guys the malachite people and reysin city creators too...

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm not a fan of that at all.
It's way to plan. No detail.
You used only one texture the whole way through.
You should ad least at something to it, like have the stairs as stone blocks rather then sand.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
@MarkLegault

Hmmmph, I think you don't know the techniques of texturing a 3d model. Allow me to critic your work.
1.- The texture is plain, there're no either highlights or shadows. Even when your engine has lights projected on the model, you MUST as shadows to the texture. You can add a bit of variation on some floors or... whatever they're. Of course, the tiled texture helps you to save a lot of memory and it will be easier to preload and load the texture, but it will look plain if you don't do anything about it. For the stairs I strongly recommend you to make another texture.
2.- Try to use the same style of textures for everything. It will look prettier if you use a more... cartoon-ish texture on that pyramid. So, a texture made by your own hand WILL be better, otherwise, using those kind of textures, will make the game look annoying. It looks kinda realistic.
3.- About the point no.1: The shadows can be made on the lighting map(bakes) if you can't paint them by yourself. A very recommended way to do it, is to make a high-poly model and project the lights and shadows on the low-poly one, which is the one your use on the video game.

I don't know anything about the engine you're using... blender, but it's a 3d modeling program, so it must have the same options as 3DsMax. And with "options", I mean the maps you can use to make a good texture.

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2010
what that means?
I think you don't know the techniques of texturing a 3d model.
Depends on what you mean by that
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3844/54433900.jpg
You have commented on my older pics with textured models and stuff, so...
Still, I'm always happy to learn new things.
Of course, the tiled texture helps you to save a lot of memory
Yeah, thats the point
For the stairs I strongly recommend you to make another texture.
Need more info...
2.- Try to use the same style of textures for everything. It will look prettier if you use a more... cartoon-ish texture on that pyramid.
Meh, to me it is 'anime style'.
So, a texture made by your own hand WILL be better, otherwise, using those kind of textures, will make the game look annoying. It looks kinda realistic.
Its funny you said that, I DID make it myself in GIMP
3.- About the point no.1: The shadows can be made on the lighting map(bakes) if you can't paint them by yourself.
OK, I was thinking of realtime shadows. If you mean something like baked-in ambient occlusion map, I haven't tried that and don't know how it will look like with real shadows...
I don't know anything about the engine you're using...
But you know it's Panda, right?

Last edited:

Fraot

Years
what that means?
Depends on what you mean by that
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3844/54433900.jpg
You have commented on my older pics with textured models and stuff, so...
Still, I'm always happy to learn new things.
Yeah, thats the point
Need more info...
Meh, to me it is 'anime style'.
Its funny you said that, I DID make it myself in GIMP
OK, I was thinking of realtime shadows. If you mean something like baked-in ambient occlusion map, I haven't tried that and don't know how it will look like with real shadows...
But you know it's Panda, right?

Ok, firstly... "Hmmmph" means an expression of thinking about something.
About that texture, it's okay then, you made it yourself, you can learn new thing by doing and re-doing stuff.
I also thought about what you said: the real time shadows when I started on the 3d job, BUT, it will look too simple, well, more than simple, it will look like on real life. There's a term you must understand: Hyperrealism. That term is what makes the difference between the real life and videogames. When you stare into anything real, there're no painted shadows but the ones you can see with the light itself: like the sunlight, the electric light from your room, etc... and they look simple and sometimes plain. In video games, that stuff is different: the lights are not always moving, they're mostly static, so, if you put an object without the shadows painted on it, it will look ugly, the light is not enough for the object to look good, and the point is to make the objects to support the default shadows in order to look prettier than any real one. Notice the words "to look even better", not realistic. Another thing, but I don't think you're using this: the specular map, that's the one which gives the model a shiny effect. Check the pictures below, those are mine. The metal part of the mallet shines much more than the real one(the little picture with white background is the reference there, the real one). That's one of the points on hyperrealism: "Wow!! dude, that things looks cool!", when you see something real, you don't surprise all the time.

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2010
In video games, that stuff is different: the lights are not always moving, they're mostly static
Yes, they are mostly static: in buildings, caves, even in many outdoor scenerys. I was thinking of something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zU12yLbPzE
Another thing, but I don't think you're using this: the specular map, that's the one which gives the model a shiny effect.
Yeah, I'm not using a specular map, do I really need it here? Its all rock...
On the other hand I could try to make it less perfect and clean,add some grass.
BTW, nice models

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
I made a new shiny and reverse animation.
ShinyReverse.gif

Not the best quality, and there's a bit of frame skip on the shiny one, but it normally runs at the same speed as the reverse one.

Any comments? Do you like the animation, or should I change it?

Oh, and the bitmap for the particles isn't finalized yet. I'll probably change it to a star or something.

EDIT: It now works in battle, too. But it shows up in the wrong place :|

EDIT2: Fixed. It works perfectly now.

ooooo i like that where it changes from one to the other ^_^

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023

ooooo i like that where it changes from one to the other ^_^

You do know that the screenshot you quoted is over one and a half years old, right?

And there are two different Pokémon in that animation. The Shinx doesn't change; there's two of them.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
pkmnrts.png

Maybe making a game? Not sure :/
Where it says stats: should say selected, and selected should say pokemon, it's sorta like a pokemo RTS I guess, I was to lazy to change it xD

Fraot

Years
Yes, they are mostly static: in buildings, caves, even in many outdoor scenerys. I was thinking of something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zU12yLbPzE

Yeah, I'm not using a specular map, do I really need it here? Its all rock...
On the other hand I could try to make it less perfect and clean,add some grass.
BTW, nice models

Ok... but with the specular map thing, I tried yo explain you something. The metal part of the mallet shines more than the metal part from the real one(I think it's not very noticeable on those screenshots); there're things which on the real world don't shine, but in the videogames, they do shine or they SHOULD shine. Maybe your pyramid wont shine, but certain types of materials will(rusted metal, polished stones).
BTW, making a day-night system is VERY hard and consumes a lot of memory, sometimes is not enough to change the screen color tone.

Whatever, good luck with your game!

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2010
Ok... but with the specular map thing, I tried yo explain you something. The metal part of the mallet shines more than the metal part from the real one(I think it's not very noticeable on those screenshots); there're things which on the real world don't shine, but in the videogames, they do shine or they SHOULD shine. Maybe your pyramid wont shine, but certain types of materials will(rusted metal, polished stones).
I get what you mean. In Perfect Dark Zero, for example, just about everything shines. At first I was like "what the ..." , but then "looks cool though"
sometimes is not enough to change the screen color tone.
Of course not. I was thinking of a sun billboard attached to a light which moves in a circly path and changes color depending on the time of the day, skydome gradients blending from one to another depending on the time of the day and blending to night texture when sun goes below horizon, only 'close' object to cast shadows... Haven't had the time to try it, could be slow...
Whatever, good luck with your game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back