• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen V] New to Competitive Teams, help?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Im new to EV training, although i've mastered how to do it pretty easily. My only concern now is what is going to make a good team. I want diversity between attacks, typing and moves.
I don't get to play on wifi much but my friends have all gotten black and white and most of them are just casual, raising teams with different offensive moves to knock out the opponent.
So i want to blow them away with a team that will be powerful and strategic. >D

So this is what i was thinking so far... (Mind this is a first attempt at all this and your help is greatly required) <3

Ferrothorn |Steel Thorns | Sassy (or Careful? add a little more speed?)
EV: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Ferrothorn is there to start up stealth rock at the beginning ( i was thinking maybe of adding spikes too, so more entrance damage, but i liked the idea of seeding to keep his hp up.)

Jellicent | Water Absorb |
EV: 252 HP 252 Sp.Def? Im not sure...
-Toxic
-Recover
-Hex
-Boiling Water/Surf

Was thinking of using Jellicent to status ailement the foe, then hex STAB to gain more damage. Then of course a STAB boiling water or surf for damage if the opponent can't be hit by ghosts and recover to gain back her high hp.

Meinshao | Regenerator | Hardy (i could breed for better)
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spd
-Fake Out
-U-turn
-Hi-jump Kick
- ?

Fake out to start off, then attack if needed u-turn/regenerator to swich and gain health back. unsure about final move.

Haxorus | Mold Breaker | Jolly
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spd.
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw?
-Earthquake
-?

Dance then dragon claw for boosted attack and speed. Earthquake and mould breaker, get the pesky levitates and alot of others. Not sure about last move.

Maybe? -

Volcarona | Flamebody | Timid
EV: 252 Sp.A 252.
-Quiver dance
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz
- maybe Aerial ace or Psychic, Hurricane?

Now im not sure for the last team member either, what coverage am i missing? maybe a thunderbolter or an ice type!? i dunno... please help! Also for the final member i'd prefer non-ledgend as i don't like to battle with them :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Volcarona gets hurricane which is a pretty good stab flyin move, so thats good for its last slot. Also flame dance is probably better thn flamethrower for the chance of spA boosts.

Using 252/252 EVs, you can 6 spare so 1 more stat point :P may aswell use it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ferrothorn needs to be Sassy so that Gyro Ball can hit harder against fast opponents.

Bold is worth considering on Jellicent. If that's the case, use these EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef. Scald is the primary option over Surf because it supports the team by occasionally burning opponents. Hex is a bit iffy because your opponent can switch the statused Pokemon out. I'd have Shadow Ball (for reliable STAB), Taunt (to stop other walls from setting up) or Ice Beam (for Grass and Dragon Pokemon) in its place.

Mienshao is just too frail for OU (Bullet Punch Scizor screws it badly). Conkeldurr is seen often:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback/Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef (if anyone can suggest a better spread, go ahead)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Guts

Haxorus definitely needs Outrage as its primary STAB move.

You can use Hidden Power (Rock) on Volcarona to give its moves good neutral coverage

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Thanks thats been a great help. I can't decide between Ice beam and shadow ball, and the typing form my last pokemon... that would help me decide if it have coverage of one of those moves or the types.

Ill also go out and get a conkledurr too :D

Detox

Volcarona gets hurricane which is a pretty good stab flyin move, so thats good for its last slot. Also flame dance is probably better thn flamethrower for the chance of spA boosts.

Using 252/252 EVs, you can 6 spare so 1 more stat point :P may aswell use it.

You know Volcarona doesn't get STAB on Hurricane, right? X_X

Im new to EV training, although i've mastered how to do it pretty easily. My only concern now is what is going to make a good team. I want diversity between attacks, typing and moves.
I don't get to play on wifi much but my friends have all gotten black and white and most of them are just casual, raising teams with different offensive moves to knock out the opponent.
So i want to blow them away with a team that will be powerful and strategic. >D

So this is what i was thinking so far... (Mind this is a first attempt at all this and your help is greatly required) <3

Ferrothorn |Steel Thorns | Sassy (or Careful? add a little more speed?)
EV: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Ferrothorn is there to start up stealth rock at the beginning ( i was thinking maybe of adding spikes too, so more entrance damage, but i liked the idea of seeding to keep his hp up.)

If you're going to use Ferrothorn, I highly suggest you don't lead with him here. Meinshao would be much better in my opinion as it would let you scout and then bring it out later when you need it. Also, you should try to re breed if you can so you can get this set.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Ivs: 0 Speed
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed / Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball / Thunderwave / Protect

This this is standard, and what you should usually always be running.

Jellicent | Water Absorb |
EV: 252 HP 252 Sp.Def? Im not sure...
-Toxic
-Recover
-Hex
-Boiling Water/Surf

Was thinking of using Jellicent to status ailement the foe, then hex STAB to gain more damage. Then of course a STAB boiling water or surf for damage if the opponent can't be hit by ghosts and recover to gain back her high hp.

You have the right track of mind here. However, you should change the ev spread and moveset to either variation of this.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk) / Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald / Surf
- Recover
- Taunt / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Will-o-Wisp / Taunt

Meinshao | Regenerator | Hardy (i could breed for better)
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spd
-Fake Out
-U-turn
-Hi-jump Kick
- ?

Fake out to start off, then attack if needed u-turn/regenerator to swich and gain health back. unsure about final move.

As I said before, I really feel this world have more use in the lead spot. The set is

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Hi Jump Kick

Haxorus | Mold Breaker | Jolly
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spd.
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw?
-Earthquake
-?

Dance then dragon claw for boosted attack and speed. Earthquake and mould breaker, get the pesky levitates and alot of others. Not sure about last move.

Outrage > Dragon claw and Taunt in the last slot to stop Phazers and statusers.

Maybe? -

Volcarona | Flamebody | Timid
EV: 252 Sp.A 252.
-Quiver dance
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz
- maybe Aerial ace or Psychic, Hurricane?

You want Firey Dance > Flamethrower, as it has a 50% chance to raise your Special Attack by one stage. The last slot needs to be Hidden Power rock or ground, Morning Sun if you were running a bulkier variant.

Now im not sure for the last team member either, what coverage am i missing? maybe a thunderbolter or an ice type!? i dunno... please help! Also for the final member i'd prefer non-ledgend as i don't like to battle with them :)

Thanks in advance!

Changes in bold.

I noticed you have Volcarona, yet lack any reliable way to keep Stealth rock off the field, I suggest that you look into adding a rapid spinner, otherwise Volcarona loses half its health by switching in every time (well it can only switch in twice). I would suggest something like Forretress since you aren't totally weak to fire and you look like you could support it well.

Forretress@Leftovers / Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
Evs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SDef
Ivs: 0 Speed
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball / Earthquake / Volt Switch
- Toxic Spikes / Earthquake / Volt Switch

Hope it helps.

Years
Very diverse team, nice.

If you want Electric-types I suggest Eelektross I you want a no-weaknesses Pokemon or Galvantula for something fast.

Ice-types, Beartic if you want offensive or Vanilluxe if defense is your thing.

Back