• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Fanfiction Lounge's *bold topics* index!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years

Welcome to the "Bold Topics Index":
The (I hope) all-compasing "comprehensive" list of everything that has been seriously, notoriously, densely, or jokingly discussed in the Fanfiction Lounge!

Lounge regulars, beware! :embarrass

Current Update: FFL Topics 2009 finished​
This thread is intended to be a functional index of "bold topics", the name given to the short conversations about Pokémon, fanfiction, and writing in general that populate the Fanfiction Lounge.

If you don't want to read my absurd exposition just [alink id="actual_list"]click here[/alink id] and you will jump to the Lists of Bold Topics.​

"Fanfiction Lounge"? What is that? Where do I sign?

The "Fanfiction Lounge" Thread (FFL for short) is a thread dedicated to discussions related to writing here at PokéCommunity. As its description says, "this thread is for being off topic and is just basically the DCC of the Fanfiction Forum. But go ahead and share ideas! You can rant, review, explode, advertise your fic, etc! Have fun!"

At the FFL, registered members can query and receive help in such diverse topics related to fanfiction and writing in general as how to pick a title for a chapter, how to develop your Trainer's Pokémon's personality, or how can you name the limbs of Latios/Latias (other than "forepaw"). Yes, if you're looking for help to develop your fanfiction, you can always count with the Lounge and its members!

But, as the name says, the Lounge is also a lounge, a place where members reunite and discuss all sort of topics in a relatively lighthearted manner, as long as it contributes to writing. As such, strange... "conversations" can popup sometimes. These are what we FFL regulars call "bold topics".

"Bold topics"? And what are these?

A bold or bolded topic is, essentially, a selected topic of conversation that drives the FFL for a while.

This is how bold topics are born. Sometimes, a specific topic emerges that dominates, or influences, the conversations at the Lounge. It may be a question that one member presents to the others, or a real-life event that may have an impact in our writing, or, sometimes, a random thought that escapes our brainjars and somehow reaches beyond our keyboards. FFL members have grown accustomed to denote such topics of conversation by bolding them (with the [b]...[/b] tag, hence they acquired the name: "bolded topics".

Nowadays, most serious (and non-serious) conversation at the Lounge is carried over as a series of bold topics.

So... if I can follow those "bold topics" I can find various information, right? Sounds easy!

Well... no.

Due to the nature of the conversations in the FFL, searching for a particular topic of conversation can be quite a difficult and daunting task for new members or for people who have little experience with the Lounge's style. Despite having most of the answers, the way Lounge conversations occur make searching for single terms exceedingly difficult.

The sheer size of the thread makes using the "Search This Thread" utility less efficient that one would want it to be to look for very specific topics (try to search for "drunk" or "Latios", come on). This also leads to topics iterating and repeating themselves every once in a while, with new members or new facets of discussion, without a proper "memory" of what has been discussed, discovered or debunked before.

That sounds like a neatly organized mess. So what can I do? And where do you fit in all of this?

The key word here is procrastination. Mine, mostly...

After a quick question (a bolded topic, accordingly) that I posted about how the FFL members perceived the utility of bolded topics, I decided to take some time and think what could be done to help the situation. The general consensus was that bolded topics were useful, but very difficult to find and follow.

Thus... to help both new users and respected regulars, and everyone in between, to (re)familiarize themselves with the Lounge activities, keep tab on the trends of conversation, and efficiently search the information they want, I compiled an evolving (and one day comprehensive, I hope) list of all the bolded topics that have populated the Lounge during the first half of the year 2009. If things go well this list should evolve to cover many more topics, both older and newer.

That's cool, man, but, hey, how do I find what I want, say, like information on how to make a Sentret hold a flamethrower for my new, soon-to-be-movie fic?

Well, you can always just run through the list and see if there is something that calls your attention.

Or you can search this index to locate specific topics or trends of conversation. To help your efforts I have provided some keywords that will accompany each item, so you can do an inline search (F3 or CTRL+F in your browser) and quickly gather some possible posts of interest. For example, searching for the keyword "canon" will quickly present you with posts relating to:
  • the development of personalities for unexplored canon characters
  • aspects of canon Pokémon or moves capitalization
  • how an author can, but should not, defile canon
  • ...and more canon stuff.

Three separate lists are provided, according to the seriousness and specificity of the different conversation topics.

May this thread help you retain your sanity while you navigate the Lounge Dimension...

»Brought to you by Solovino.​

----
[a id]actual_list[/a id]

==== Table of Contents ====

TABLEOF CONTENTS
  1. [alink id="boldindex_1"]Topics Index 2009 (in this post)[/alink id]
    1. [alink id="boldindex_1_1"]Part #1[/alink id]
    2. [alink id="boldindex_1_2"]Part #2[/alink id]
  2. [alink id="boldindex_2"]Insanity Index 2009 (moved to new post due to wordcount)[/alink id]
  3. [alink id="boldindex_3"]Announcement Index (moved to new post due to wordcount)[/alink id]
  4. [alink id="credits"]Credits[/alink id]

[a id]boldindex_1[/a id]
"General" Bold Topics 2009

(Jan 01 2009 to Dec 31 2009)

This list comprises the so-called "bold topics", as well as some topics that are not "bold" but were interesting enough that would become "boldened" or "bolded" later. Here several subjects related to Pokémon, fanfiction and writing in general can be found.

The list is sorted chronologically, links to the relevant discussions are provided, as well as an indication of when did the discussion begin and an approximate idea of how long did it last.

[a id]boldindex_1_1[/a id]First Half (Jan 01 to Jun 30)

...Guess what? CHARLIMIT!!!! -- :P
Continued below at [alink id="boldtopics_1_2"]List Part #2[/alink id]

[alink id="credits"]→Credits←[/alink id]

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Very awesome list I must say. I was surprised you included a second section, about announcement and snippets. But again, nice job. ;)

Venia Silente

Years
created (ha ha! you thought some 100-so pages would stop me!!!)

[a id]boldindex_1_2[/a id]Second Half (Jul 01 to Dec 31)

[a id]status[/a id]
Current Status:

Sep 01 2009: completing the period Jan 01 → Jul 01 2009.

Sep 03 2009: important (utility) announcements from Sep 2009 have been integrated.

Oct 14 2009: I'm doing stuff to complete the first post with 50,000 characters worth of Index. I've completed the topics up to Oct 07, and the announcements up to Oct 01 plus the important announcement on FanFiction Subforums Merging.

Oct 16 2009: correcting small typos and updating on Announcements because of the merge and Misheard Whisper's art.

Nov 15 2009: updating the months of October and November due to Citrinin's absence.

Dec 25 2009: XMas update: up to one week ago (because I have yet to sort some stuff)

Jan 10 2010: Year 2009 has been completed. Behold!
----
[a id]credits[/a id]

CREDITS

Thanks to: the FFL members who answered my bolded topic, for emotional support (like you have no idea :cheky: ). Also Astinus, the moderator of this forum section, for her approval.

This thread is the result of drugs Coca-Cola Pøpsı and over 9 000 seventeen nights of light sleep. A work by "Solovino" for the PC Fanfiction Lounge. All credits go to the little navi fairy in my head that keeps screaming at me to smash my head against what remains of the keyboard. Oh and to Scarlet Weather, who ordered me to. xD

Final Words

Several months ago I was accepted as an apprentice by Scarlet Weather over a small favor I did recovering some info from the TVTropes Recycle Bin. Today my craziness has reached such a level that I've driven myself to collaborate with the Lounge: those efforts have come to fruition with this Index Thread. Now I know I'm spending too much time here and I should leave to see a psychiatrist neurosurgeon... :laugh:

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Years
More Dakka... I mean index!

More Dakka I mean... Index!

The thing is... CHARLIMIT beat me... again. But since I am resourceful when on drugs Pøpsı and and too kinky to be tortured by a computer system, i decided that I could just, you know, split the normal index in half, to make two posts, and then continue here moving the pending parts.

You know the drill. All thanks to the navi and several hours of no-sleep. Also a very warmhearted thanks to Citrinin whose re-apparition and recovery kinda inspire one to be kinky active at the Lounge.

(Now if my thesis got this kind of attention...)​

----
Ha ha!

A much needed update!

Well, the thing is, due to the excessive sheer large load amount of insanity valuable content the Lounge has, I have been forced by the Universe to split the Bold Topics Index into its originator components (Bold Topics now in two halves, Insanity and Announcements put together) and put each part into a different post. Otherwise, wordcount alarm kicks in at least twice!

Now I understand why no one ever took on this daunting task again. What, you think this is going to deter me? I told you, I've had a lot of drugs Pøpsı! :D

Now, right off to the Index, Part Deux Three, Reloaded, The Thread: The Post, The Quote!

----

==== Table of Contents ====

TABLEOF CONTENTS
  1. [alink id="boldindex_1"]Topics Index 2009 (in this post)[/alink id]
    1. [alink id="boldindex_1_1"]Part #1[/alink id]
    2. [alink id="boldindex_1_2"]Part #2[/alink id]
  2. [alink id="boldindex_2"]Insanity Index 2009 (moved to new post due to wordcount)[/alink id]
  3. [alink id="boldindex_3"]Announcement Index (moved to new post due to wordcount)[/alink id]
  4. [alink id="credits"]Credits[/alink id]

[a id]boldindex_2[/a id]
"Lounge Insanity"

This list comprises discussions and random happening that could only be described as "Lounge Insanity", or, as I wanted to put it originally, "The Great Fanfiction Lounge Moments". All sort of random stuff that called the attention of the members, you will be able to find them and follow them here.

The list is sorted chronologically, links to the relevant discussions are provided, as well as an indication of when did the discussion begin and an approximate idea of how long did it last.

[a id]boldindex_3[/a id]
Lounge Collection of Announcements and Story Snippets

This list comprises a series of announcements, such as new thread warnings, competitions, and requests for evaluation of random writing snippets and story proposals, that were held at some point in the Lounge. If something important happened that resulted in a new story, contest or sticky, you'll find it here.

[alink id="credits"]→Credits←[/alink id]

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Years
Y2009! Finished! Notification!

(A bit late, but...)

Content Refresh

The Bold Topcs Index has been updated with the last tidbits of information from 2009. Enjoy!

Yes, I have been a bit busy which is the reason why it took me so long to complete the last three days. But I'm done... phew... I never thought this would end up being so much work but I have to admit that it has been fun, to say the least, and that I no longer think any bank is gonna trust me. :rambo:

Also, before someone starts rambling, yes, the bubble thing is based off Ubuntu because I use Ubuntu and I am a bit disappointed that no one joins the social group. So a little bit of publicity doesn't come wrong I guess. That and remember that now I'm crazy. Oh and I also use Fedora, just because.

Before I finish, my congratulations to the posters of what ended up being 451 Bold Topics or equivalent conversation subjects submitted by more than 68 unique members (not including quoted topics or "shared" ideas). Here are some quick statistics for your amusement. May not be 100% fiable, they're statistics after all.

Top Posters:

62 -- 13% -- Mizan de la Plume Kuro
46 -- 10% -- Feign
27 -- 05% -- Valentine

Mizan's comment on it:
Mizan de la Plume Kuro said:
Certainly you jest good sir for I have only been here for a mere *counts* five months?
Lol, seriously though, thanks for the hard work. We all appreciate it, even if we don't usually show it. ;D XD
(this he said when he was just beginning to monopolize the bold topics... ) ;)

Most New Topics:
→Days:
October 03: 8
September 01: 7
August 27: 7

→Months:
73 August
69 October
64 November

Longest Topics
(considering number of pages and only recurrent conversations, not sporadic ones)
Discussion on "idea threads", July, ~6 pages
Literary elements v/s devices, August, ~5 pages (so long in terms of wall-o-texting that I lampshaded it in this same index)
Fun with the "Cyborg Name Decoder", July, ~5 pages

Mentions to xkcd:
Total: 12
1.- on trolls
2.- on Pokémon
3.- ...with stick figures! (art by Misheard Whisper)
... and so on

Mentions to kittens:
Total: 0

Zero!

ZERO!!!

(in topic titles, at least)

Continuity:
At least 21 topics or subjects were started as direct response or continuation from a bold topic above.
At least 14 topics or subjects originated from a mention of another member.

That would be all for the moment.
Thanks to those who read this, thanks to those who provided me with insanity,
and thanks to Astinus for letting me post this.

Be seeing you 2010!

Venia Silente

Years
Topics 2008, Part Articuno

The Bold Topics Index -- 2008

O'K, people, I'm continuing to work on this. This time I have finished compiling what amounts to the first third of Lounge topics during the year 2008.

This won't be indexed yet into the table of contents because I have to check all the username mentions and inter-references in the 2009 index, due to the apparently definitive policy on usernames some time ago.

Also, some FFL regulars such as Buoysel have offered their help and they don't know what they're hopelessly delving into. As soon as I can get the base sheets ready for exporting I'll be contacting you!

Three separate lists are provided, according to the seriousness and specificity of the different conversation topics. Eventually, some of the lists will be moved to other posts below due to the charlimit.... er... limit. That's why if you want to find something please use the Table of Contents or just do F3 or something to search for topics (they are tagged). Thanks.

One word before posting this through: I know I'm being abit of an hypocrite about this with all of the off-topicness and how inactive I'm at the Lounge, but PEOPLE, PLEASE, try to use this index before posting new bold topics or trying too much insanity!!! I created it for a reason! (Yes, there was insanity involved but that's another matter) -- And Astinus is about to wildly shake her mod-stick at us (and we kinda deserve it).

May this thread help you retain your sanity while you navigate the Lounge Dimension...

»Brought to you by Solovino.​
[/div]

----
[a id]boldtopics_list_2008[/a id]
"General" Bold Topics 2008

(Jan 01 2008 to Jul 01 2008)

This list comprises the so-called "bold topics", as well as some topics that are not "bold" but were interesting enough that would become "boldened" or "bolded" later. Here several subjects related to Pokémon, fanfiction and writing in general can be found.

"Lounge Insanity"

(Jan 01 2008 to Apr 28 2008)

This list comprises discussions and random happening that could only be described as "Lounge Insanity", or, as I wanted to put it originally, "The Great Fanfiction Lounge Moments". All sort of random stuff that called the attention of the members, you will be able to find them and follow them here.

Lounge Collection of Announcements and Story Snippets

(Jan 01 2008 to Apr 28 2008)

This list comprises a series of announcements, such as new thread warnings, competitions, and requests for evaluation of random writing snippets and story proposals, that were held at some point in the Lounge. If something important happened that resulted in a new story, contest or sticky, you'll find it here.

Current Status:

As of Apr 1st 2010, this list is apparently complete up to April 2008. That includes the announcements.

----

Check the [alink id="credits"]Credits[/alink id]​

Back