• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
NetOps: World Three Rising
This is just the first section out of three to kind of give an understanding of what the roleplay is going to be about. Lord Sephear and I are hard at work designing the more intricate statistical aspects, but we wanted to see what everyone thought about the project so far. Any comments or critiques are welcome so we can create a better end product. Thank you in advance.

Jack In:

Spoiler:
A Roleplay by Colony & Lord Sephear

Last edited:
Years
I've been plotting along with my planned Mario RP (see previous few posts), and I've been wondering; would it be more interesting if people played as Gym Leader, Elite Four Members, even Champions , and basically anyone who is a league member, in a sort of crossover between Pokemon and Mario? Or would you guys simply go purist and prefer that everyone is from the Marioverse? The idea has been creeping up in my head and I rather like it...

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years
Although I love Pokey and the man crossovers as far as a Mario roleplay goes I feel like I would rather have it stay strictly marioverse because Mario and roleplay instantly makes me think of Paper Mario's universe (Except without people being paper XD) And that's an awesome universe.

Years
Although I love Pokey and the man crossovers as far as a Mario roleplay goes I feel like I would rather have it stay strictly marioverse because Mario and roleplay instantly makes me think of Paper Mario's universe (Except without people being paper XD) And that's an awesome universe.

Oh don't worry about that; the universe just has so much awesome stuff in it, the Mario & Luigi series, SMRPG, the platformers, and even secondary game like the WarioWare stuff and the Donkey Kong Country games. This Pokemon Crossover would mostly be set in that universe, therefore you could do all the awesome things you could in that one (though the Pit of 100 trials would be too tedious for what I have planned). Either way though, I must admit I am mostly using the Platformers and Legend of the Seven Stars for inspiration and tone...

Sephear

Years
Oh I'm not worried, I think it sounds great, I just can't bring myself to a definitive yay or nay on the crossover part.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Colony (and Seph!)

I have no idea about the megaman world or anything to do with it - but what you have so far reads really well. There are a lot of terms to learn, so I'm glad you've included a glossary for all the abbreviations and things. However, some terms might be better integrated.

Perhaps a list of bullet points in the 'You' section would outline the different possibilities (Virus Busting, NetBattles, some examples of classes) would be better than using the words and needing the reader to look down and work out what they mean. It would also help condense the glossary slightly so it's a bit less daunting.

Otherwise, looking good :o.

-----------------------------------------------

Here is one of my WIPs (one of many). Please let me know what you think about it and it's ability to be a roleplay. Ask questions by all means!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Regarding the Pokelink roleplay, the only thing that seems a bit off is kidnapping the players. I think it would be better if the students were conned thinking they were just doing some sort of job (like a beta test for a game or some type of study) for the company only to realize the reality of what they signed up for once they got there. They would basically be kidnapped, but they're disappearance can be explained for.

Edit: Just for some other thoughts, where do you think the roleplay would start? I think it might be best to start a bit after they've been kidnapped, so they're kind of experienced with the game and know the consequences of their actions, if they choose to take that path, without wasting time letting characters experience it.

Second, what type of mechanics where you thinking about the game and how do you think people would be able to roleplay it in an enjoyable way. From just initial thoughts, trying to roleplay a classic pokemon game would be a bit difficult if not boring.

So I have had this thought for a digimon roleplay in the back of my head and I'm just curious of what you'd think about it.
Spoiler:

Years
@Magic it seems to be quite similar to Monster Art Online that Red's (I think) did a while back - not that I was apart of it I just read the OP once. That being said I really like the sound of this but I have a couple of questions and concerns.

Questions
So, after each chapter our characters are returned to their own rooms?

Will this mean there is no travel throughout the game bar being "warped" to the next level or something?

Is this supposed to be competitive?

How do you beat levels?

Or is there no set way but rather different goals in each level?

Do you intend for players to select their own starter pokemon?

What are these punishments? Or are they not set like rewards?

Concerns

I feel as though all the changing of scenery and these "rooms" could potentially cause minor problems for those whom have to post less frequently.

Positives
You've got a really well thought out RP that is likely to attract a lot of interest and as long as you keep it interesting throughout and the routine of "complete level and then return to solitary" that seems to be implied doesn't give the RP a stale feel it should run smoothly with an easily controlled plot.

The rewards system you have in place seems like it could be very effective.

Overall I think you have the makings of an excellent RP there and the CSS is nice too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I knew there were lots of questions/problems with it :< hence why it was never posted. Thanks for replying, guys!

Spoiler:

Ty :3

Sephear

Years
Thank you for the critique and the advice Swifty, it's much appreciated. I think the bullet points sound like a pretty good idea but I doubt we'll be shrinking the glossary much if at all. The reason is that we didn't put that in just to help people understand in the normal sense, we put them in because the Battle Network universe is so full of unique terms and abbreviations that we're not sure how big the glossary will get. And since we as players of pretty much every game in the series are likely to use a lot of those terms (even if accidentally) it will be good to have terms of reference for almost every one of them in there :D

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Basic premise is that it'll be a sandbox faction type roleplay, where players will be fighting to gain territory and allies. The map will function on a grid system where each grid would represent a server or domain that one character would have complete control over.

I'd have to make rules for how changing grids work, but the basic idea would be when you defeat an owner of the grid, you'd be given the grid's code crown (a la Xros Wars) and be given the right to change every aspect of the area. So if the area was some volcano and you won the code crown, you can make it a tropical forest or an endless sea or whatever your taste prefers. It's your place to do what you want.

There would be a few factions in placed from the start of the roleplay, the two that must be included being the demon lords and the royal knights. Each member would have their own area, but they'd still work together united as a faction.

One rule that I'm not sure about yet is if I want to make it so one person can only own on code crown at a time or if a single individual can own multiple crowns. There's benefits in the scheme of things when it comes to a single person owning multiple crowns, but it would also make someone taking an area a really big power jump, so single crowns would be easier and give powers to the idea of having factions.

Regarding actual players, I'd like them to have freedom in making their own decisions and changing the world. As such people are free to player as a tamer with a partner digimon or a solo digimon on a quest for glory. Additionally I'd also like the roleplay to welcome people to join whenever, since I feel like that's one secret to longevity around here (See Pink's SAO roleplay). Though that brings up the question on how strong players should be allowed to be when they join the roleplay. I like the idea of progression and developing a bong between tamer and digimon, while letting solo digimon starting at a higher level of strength, but I also like the idea of tamer/digimon already having a place for themselves when the roleplay start and developing from there, it would speed up the roleplay, since I know most people probably aren't going to survive the initial slow grind.

I'm not sure on how I would handle tamers entering the digital world. Log Horizon kind of had an interesting take on a bunch of powerful people being thrown into an already thriving world, (think political decision while being stuck in a virtual world that already has it's own conflicts) with that in mind I figured the roleplay could follow the popular "forcefully trapped in a MMO" thing that's been popular on recently. This way I could also give motivation to tamers by inputting a rule where they can only return home once the digital world is held together by a single ruler, though I think I'd prefer if all the people playing were doing it out of their freewill, but I'd have to come up with a reasonable means of how that could happen.

I think that's the gift of my thoughts on the roleplay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve some of the basics of it/answers to some of the problems I noted?

I like the idea, but I'm a bit confused on how the areas will work. With everyone working independently to claim crowns (whilst also behaving as a faction?) it implies that the characters are selfish/power hungry - especially as they'll claim the world as their own. Perhaps if it was more of a united front - ie the Digimon/Tamers are allied with Leomon/other and taking over for him, perhaps it would work better.

I'm also kind of worried the world will be too big to enjoy, another reason to ally the characters. If they each have a world and suddenly there are 20+ players, and NPCs, that's a lot of unique places :P.

Years
For the benefit of Jegretis and Magic who were wanting a dinosaur themed RP. What does everyone think?

Spoiler:

The CSS needs work but yeah this is what I have.
Edit: In hindsight, I wrote this at like three in the morning so some of the writing is weird and needs to be edited too.

Last edited:

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
@gimmepie: I really like the concept. It kinda reminds me of a mix between Lost and Jurassic Park, maybe with a little Cage of Eden. I'm intrigued to know more about the island, but since you don't have a map yet I guess I'll have to wait. Can't wait to see the idea a little more developed to get a better grasp on how it might be played out.

Years
I had originally thought that I'd gotten it finished I guess I hadn't actually gotten around to it though. I have thought a lot about actually using Isla Sorna from the Jurassic Park franchise which would save me having to create my own map probably. The general gist of the island would be that there's beach on the outskirts, thick forest in the middle.

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
I like the idea, but I'm a bit confused on how the areas will work. With everyone working independently to claim crowns (whilst also behaving as a faction?) it implies that the characters are selfish/power hungry - especially as they'll claim the world as their own. Perhaps if it was more of a united front - ie the Digimon/Tamers are allied with Leomon/other and taking over for him, perhaps it would work better.

I'm also kind of worried the world will be too big to enjoy, another reason to ally the characters. If they each have a world and suddenly there are 20+ players, and NPCs, that's a lot of unique places :P.

I wouldn't allow 20+ people to roleplay at one time. That's just too many people to manage. That said I thought about having a single faction to start off in, but I didn't really like the idea too much because it would hamper creativity from the players and what I really want is for people to be free to do what they want to the most reasonable degree. I definitely want people working together, so I might ask for people to try and start the roleplay grouped up with similar players, but I don't want everyone to be forced into working together/having to backstab each other. What I might do is just allow accepted players to have their own free spot on the grid (just to clarify this is what I have in mind when I mention areas grid.) and as time goes on I'll just leave players to fight for spots. In the case that the players might leave the roleplay, the area will be free for someone to take over via quest, though a faster means might be preferred. I might also just limit the number of grids to something like 10-15 or drop some if that seems too unreasonable.

The thing is I want the players to have a bit of creative power when it comes to the world.
That's the main reason why I am against a single tamer faction. It would unify everyone's goal and leave little reason to choose to fight against each other. I want people to work together, but I don't want to force every character to start from the same place in a developmental sort of sense.
Well if the numbers got too big, I could always limit what players could do.

I don't think I'm bottle-necking players to be greedy/power hungry because they always have the option to help out with the various factions for the fate of the digital world. They can choose to shape the world in the more orderly image set by the holy knights, or twisted and free image dictated by the demon lords, or take the agenda to change the digital world in an image they prefer or maybe they have a change in mind due to the influence of others. It's all up to what the players choose to do with their characters. The ultimate goal will is to have the world unified so they can get home or in the case of digimon players, have a world unified for their own reasons.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
My first post in this thread! Well, to keep things short, I'm working on my own activity as well as a new, sleek, minimalistic formatting for posts. May I get feedback on this post format?

CHNPTN — 銀ヤミ — Academy

Text text texty texttext text.Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text.

Text text texty texttext text.Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text. Text text texty texttext text.

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
I had originally thought that I'd gotten it finished I guess I hadn't actually gotten around to it though. I have thought a lot about actually using Isla Sorna from the Jurassic Park franchise which would save me having to create my own map probably. The general gist of the island would be that there's beach on the outskirts, thick forest in the middle.

My only question is, has this island been discovered before or not? If there were still dinosaurs living on this island, it would be a huge deal to the outside world and the island would have already been known and people trying to capitalise on it. Or are you doing like the whole Jurassic Park thing where it was an amusement park, but that the Dinosaurs started running amok?

Years
@firelord - A little both you could say I guess, the general idea is that the island is privately owned and that only those who are responsible for the existence of dinosaurs would have known about it. I don't want to delve too deep into that just yet though because it is meant to be unveiled as the plot progresses.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
My first post in this thread! Well, to keep things short, I'm working on my own activity as well as a new, sleek, minimalistic formatting for posts. May I get feedback on this post format?

CHNPTN — 銀ヤミ — Academy

That's what you want to go for in design, especially if someone is reading it: simple. Which you've done, which is great. Consistency in colour, and no annoying backgrounds. What you haven't taken much advantage of is space. You've got an entire (usually) 1200 or so px and you're using... 569px? Even less so with your additional padding, so less than half. It makes your paragraphs look a little longer, yes, but what I hate about these skinny CSS is that, for me, it's hard to determine proper length. It looks longer, but it isn't.

Try to use 75-85% of the space you have. Blank space is a statement when it comes to marketing and design but when it comes to books, you use it to separate words from the edge of the page and paragraphs. I'd probably get pretty mad if I opened a book and the writing only took up a third of the page.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Well, I'm trying to make it reasonably skinny, because even though I use one of the widest themes I know a lot of people use default and other, much thinner themes, and I don't want to break their width or anything. I was going to use percent but it can be really wonky on phones and other varying devices, so I was hoping to use percent. Technically with the icon and all it is, if I remember correctly, six hundred pixels wide. Is there a possibly better pixel width or some solution you think would be best, all things considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back