Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old March 3rd, 2015 (10:12 PM).
#teamradredbruhs
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Tbh, I'd like to have a new region more than a red and blue re-make. We already have ORAS, which is a re-make, so I don't think a re-make after a re-make will be fun.

Think about it, when X and Y came out, there was so much hype, the hype stayed like for months and months! But for ORAS, after a couple of months or so, people got less hyped about it.

I'm just saying I would LOVE a new region with ne pokemon, cuz new regions are just naturally more fun than re-makes!
Old March 3rd, 2015 (11:08 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by BettyNewbie:
Couldn't be, because the Johto song in RS is Route 38's music, while FRLG only used the Violet/Azalea/Lake of Rage themes. And, there's zero evidence that Johto was ever planned for FRLG; as I said, the region isn't even mentioned by name in the entire game, despite literally taking place next door to it.

FRLG acted as if Johto never existed, which felt like a slap in the face to anyone who had played and enjoyed the Gen 2 games just a few years earlier. The games really were made for newcomers instead of veterans.

That's what I've always thought, too. Of course, for the purposes of official tournaments and Pokédex completion, Blue Pentagon restrictions ended up causing a similar effect, anyways. Before ORAS, many Pokémon were still unavailable in the Gen 6 games, and while you could, at least, breed most of them to get a Blue Pentagon, there was no doing that with Legendaries (hence the reason why ORAS crammed as many of them into one game). Now, there are only 5 Pokémon left that are still unavailable in Gen 6, and they're all event Legendaries that don't count towards Dex completion and are banned in official tournaments, anyways--Mew, Manaphy, Arceus, Meloetta, and Genesect.
I think a Kanto remake with Mew having a post game plot similar to Deoxys (but not necessary as world destroying) and being captured afterwards can take care of one of those five. Also the new movie is said to have an event Arceus (Japan only) so the only ones left are going to be Mew, Manaphy, Meloetta, and Genesect (well for Japan as I don't believe those of us outside of Japan will get an Arceus event anytime soon, plus its been ages since we last had a Shaymin event...then there's Jirachi, Victini, and Keldeo.)
Actually Kanto is the only region to not have a legend (,or even a mascot outside of Pikachu) (that we know as of right now) in the newest movie (Gen II: Lugia, Gen III: Weather Trio, Gen IV: Creation Trio, Regigigas, Gen V: Tao Trio, Gen VI: Hoopa)...but then again we did see Mewtwo in the last movie of Gen V's anime saga.
Old March 4th, 2015 (10:30 AM).

Quote originally posted by mimimahboul:
Tbh, I'd like to have a new region more than a red and blue re-make. We already have ORAS, which is a re-make, so I don't think a re-make after a re-make will be fun.

Think about it, when X and Y came out, there was so much hype, the hype stayed like for months and months! But for ORAS, after a couple of months or so, people got less hyped about it.

I'm just saying I would LOVE a new region with ne pokemon, cuz new regions are just naturally more fun than re-makes!
I see you're a younger fan.

I've moved past the point of caring about new regions, myself. I still haven't fully warmed up to Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, and Kalos doesn't incite anything but a shrug from me. It's hard for new regions to stick or even feel special anymore when GF is constantly hitting the reset button with every new Gen and re-recycling the same basic formula they've been using since RS ad nauseum. When so many previous regions and characters have stories that are still incomplete, it's hard to give a damn about the new ones.

It would be a dream come true if Gen 7's main games were not another micro-reboot, but instead, a direct sequel to a previous Generation. (You know, like what Gen 2 was to Gen 1?) I'm more than ready to see older regions and characters in games that aren't remakes.

Quote originally posted by OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire:
I think a Kanto remake with Mew having a post game plot similar to Deoxys (but not necessary as world destroying) and being captured afterwards can take care of one of those five. Also the new movie is said to have an event Arceus (Japan only) so the only ones left are going to be Mew, Manaphy, Meloetta, and Genesect (well for Japan as I don't believe those of us outside of Japan will get an Arceus event anytime soon, plus its been ages since we last had a Shaymin event...then there's Jirachi, Victini, and Keldeo.)
Yeah, Japan gets all of the goods for themselves. As I said, luckily, none of these Pokémon are actually required for Dex completion (because that would be cruel), and they're all banned from official tournaments, anyways, but right now, it's impossible to get a Blue Pentagon on them without cheating.
Old March 4th, 2015 (03:34 PM).
Silver Tier

I see you're a younger fan.

I've moved past the point of caring about new regions, myself. I still haven't fully warmed up to Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, and Kalos doesn't incite anything but a shrug from me. It's hard for new regions to stick or even feel special anymore when GF is constantly hitting the reset button with every new Gen and re-recycling the same basic formula they've been using since RS ad nauseum. When so many previous regions and characters have stories that are still incomplete, it's hard to give a damn about the new ones.

It would be a dream come true if Gen 7's main games were not another micro-reboot, but instead, a direct sequel to a previous Generation. (You know, like what Gen 2 was to Gen 1?) I'm more than ready to see older regions and characters in games that aren't remakes.

Yeah, Japan gets all of the goods for themselves. As I said, luckily, none of these Pokémon are actually required for Dex completion (because that would be cruel), and they're all banned from official tournaments, anyways, but right now, it's impossible to get a Blue Pentagon on them without cheating.
I think that Gen VII is our best bet for that right now. In all likelihood it'll be a Kalos sequel (the fact that the next Kalos games may be prequels leaves space for a sequel to XY in the form of Gen VII). Of course it may get boring to see Kalos again...if it gets two prequels this Gen it'll have 4 games, as much as Japanese Kanto, and then likely Gen VII will have more versions than the Johto games had (in three). Some would say Hoenn but there's not much to do in Hoenn so it'll be as boring as Kanto in Gen II/IV was (unless if it has the Frontier...) Maybe it could be Unova sequels in a nearby region and we'll get the Original dragon in the end.

Funny that we're talking about sequels in this thread as there is a decent chuck that would rather see sequels rather than remakes of old games...
Old March 4th, 2015 (05:10 PM).

I think that Gen VII is our best bet for that right now. In all likelihood it'll be a Kalos sequel (the fact that the next Kalos games may be prequels leaves space for a sequel to XY in the form of Gen VII). Of course it may get boring to see Kalos again...if it gets two prequels this Gen it'll have 4 games, as much as Japanese Kanto, and then likely Gen VII will have more versions than the Johto games had (in three). Some would say Hoenn but there's not much to do in Hoenn so it'll be as boring as Kanto in Gen II/IV was (unless if it has the Frontier...)
A Hoenn sequel could be easy way to reintroduce Emerald features (like the BF, Juan, etc.) that people were upset about seeing scrapped without retreading the Gen 3 story a third time. As for Kalos, well, many fans considered the region to be bland and forgettable, so a sequel would have the potential to redeem it and fix its many storytelling issues.

Maybe it could be Unova sequels in a nearby region and we'll get the Original dragon in the end.
Uh, Unova already got its sequels. And, besides, none of those games exist on the current timeline anymore.

Funny that we're talking about sequels in this thread as there is a decent chuck that would rather see sequels rather than remakes of old games...
Well, that opportunity was kind of missed as soon as FRLG were greenlit. Plus, the new timeline kind of prevents sequels to games other than XY or ORAS, as you can't have a sequel without a prequel, and I seriously doubt that GF will ever return to an older timeline.

(Plus, anything that involves Kanto/Johto would be a sequel to a sequel and would probably screw up continuity even more than HGSS did in relation to FRLG. A sequel would be saddled with HGSS's storytelling flaws, such as Kris and Green not existing, Giovanni not being repentant about Team Rocket's actions (and the poor send-off Team Rocket got, in general), Lorelei being non-existent in a vacant black hole, Agatha being presumably dead without importance, and so on.)
Old March 4th, 2015 (07:33 PM).
Silver Tier

A Hoenn sequel could be easy way to reintroduce Emerald features (like the BF, Juan, etc.) that people were upset about seeing scrapped without retreading the Gen 3 story a third time. As for Kalos, well, many fans considered the region to be bland and forgettable, so a sequel would have the potential to redeem it and fix its many storytelling issues.

Uh, Unova already got its sequels. And, besides, none of those games exist on the current timeline anymore.

Well, that opportunity was kind of missed as soon as FRLG were greenlit. Plus, the new timeline kind of prevents sequels to games other than XY or ORAS, as you can't have a sequel without a prequel, and I seriously doubt that GF will ever return to an older timeline.

(Plus, anything that involves Kanto/Johto would be a sequel to a sequel and would probably screw up continuity even more than HGSS did in relation to FRLG. A sequel would be saddled with HGSS's storytelling flaws, such as Kris and Green not existing, Giovanni not being repentant about Team Rocket's actions (and the poor send-off Team Rocket got, in general), Lorelei being non-existent in a vacant black hole, Agatha being presumably dead without importance, and so on.)
I meant a sequel to B2W2 to conclude the story, but you're right it wouldn't work...
Well at this point if Gen VII resets the timeline back to Gen I/III (or any that is before Kalos XY) time then we can say goodbye to possible Hoenn sequels too (at least until Delta Emerald is made...) as that'll essentially throw the current timeline out of the window like RSE and FRLG themselves did with the Original timeline...

Green? Oh right 'Leaf' I'm surprised they didn't give her a real name...in Japan they should have named her Blue and outside of Japan Green. Fun fact, Red is actually one of her default names...I think that's the only such case.
Well we got Lyra...so it's only Leaf that is missing...
Old March 4th, 2015 (08:14 PM).

Well at this point if Gen VII resets the timeline back to Gen I/III (or any that is before Kalos XY) time then we can say goodbye to possible Hoenn sequels too (at least until Delta Emerald is made...) as that'll essentially throw the current timeline out of the window like RSE and FRLG themselves did with the Original timeline...
Delta Emerald won't be made, sorry.

The timeline is pretty screwed up, mostly thanks to Gen 6's poor writing and planning. A lot of times, I really do wish that ORAS had been sequels instead...

Green? Oh right 'Leaf' I'm surprised they didn't give her a real name...in Japan they should have named her Blue and outside of Japan Green. Fun fact, Red is actually one of her default names...I think that's the only such case.
Well, her Adventures counterpart (aka. pretty much the only version of her that has an official name) is "Blue" in Japan and "Green" overseas. I prefer to call her Green, because I feel that would've been her canon name had she been canonized (as she should've). "Leaf" makes zero sense, and it doesn't have any parallelism with Red and Blue, unlike the other protagonist names.

Well we got Lyra...
Lyra is not Kris. Not in any stretch of the imagination.
Old March 4th, 2015 (08:29 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Unova could've been the best region if GF didn't have the asinine idea of placing most of the cities around the Entralink and the rest in what's basically a straight line to Nimbasa. It made sense, but it wasn't good design.

I quite like Kalos, myself. It's way diverse.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old March 4th, 2015 (08:32 PM).
Silver Tier

Delta Emerald won't be made, sorry.

The timeline is pretty screwed up, mostly thanks to Gen 6's poor writing and planning. A lot of times, I really do wish that ORAS had been sequels instead...

Well, her Adventures counterpart (aka. pretty much the only version of her that has an official name) is "Blue" in Japan and "Green" overseas. I prefer to call her Green, because I feel that would've been her canon name had she been canonized (as she should've). "Leaf" makes zero sense, and it doesn't have any parallelism with Red and Blue, unlike the other protagonist names.

Lyra is not Kris. Not in any stretch of the imagination.
I mean in due time, not right away...I mean Hoenn will eventually need re-remakes too you know (and this is why people rather not have re-remakes to begin with folks...)
Old March 4th, 2015 (09:12 PM).

Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
Unova could've been the best region if GF didn't have the asinine idea of placing most of the cities around the Entralink and the rest in what's basically a straight line to Nimbasa. It made sense, but it wasn't good design.

I quite like Kalos, myself. It's way diverse.
Unova's more involved story could be partially blamed for its linear design. The Gym Leaders were directly involved in the plot, so it was actually necessary to fight them all in order, which required making the region extremely linear to avoid any possibility of sequence breaking.

As for Kalos, well, it has a very large Pokédex.

I mean in due time, not right away...I mean Hoenn will eventually need re-remakes too you know (and this is why people rather not have re-remakes to begin with folks...)
Yeah, it's a hard reality that remakes, themselves, will eventually become outdated, which is just something that can't be avoided at all. Again, it makes me wish that ORAS had just been sequels, which would've avoided this mess to begin with.
Old March 4th, 2015 (09:23 PM).
Silver Tier

Unova's more involved story could be partially blamed for its linear design. The Gym Leaders were directly involved in the plot, so it was actually necessary to fight them all in order, which required making the region extremely linear to avoid any possibility of sequence breaking.

As for Kalos, well, it has a very large Pokédex.

Yeah, it's a hard reality that remakes, themselves, will eventually become outdated, which is just something that can't be avoided at all. Again, it makes me wish that ORAS had just been sequels, which would've avoided this mess to begin with.
If ORAS were sequels they would've needed to have the BF xD. Also the evil Team would likely have been a copy of Neo Rocket or Neo Plasma...and those two are my least favorite Villainous Teams... I say this as they likely would've revived Magma and/or Aqua...also what would they be sequels of, RS or Emerald? (well considering the Delta Episode Emerald would've been likely). Hoenn is the region with the least hanging plot lines, as Archie and Maxie actually gave up unlike Giovanni, also the legends were taken care of. Maybe if they were Gen VII and was simply a post game place (they would've been loose sequels though)...
Things may have worked better if GF had made RSE take place some time after GSC and had FRLg restart the timeline, splitting the Gen between two timelines (it'll require putting them at the end of the Generation or in Gen IV all together), and had RSE take place at the same time as XY, and then reset once more for Gen VII and Kanto remakes...
Old March 4th, 2015 (09:55 PM).

If ORAS were sequels they would've needed to have the BF xD. Also the evil Team would likely have been a copy of Neo Rocket or Neo Plasma...and those two are my least favorite Villainous Teams... I say this as they likely would've revived Magma and/or Aqua...also what would they be sequels of, RS or Emerald? (well considering the Delta Episode Emerald would've been likely). Hoenn is the region with the least hanging plot lines, as Archie and Maxie actually gave up unlike Giovanni, also the legends were taken care of. Maybe if they were Gen VII and was simply a post game place (they would've been loose sequels though)...
They could've just had a new evil team, maybe one based around Sand/the desert that used Rock/Ground Pokémon. Obviously, it would've been a sequel to Emerald instead of RS.

Things may have worked better if GF had made RSE take place some time after GSC and had FRLg restart the timeline, splitting the Gen between two timelines (it'll require putting them at the end of the Generation or in Gen IV all together), and had RSE take place at the same time as XY, and then reset once more for Gen VII and Kanto remakes...
... Which is pretty similar to what they did with XY and ORAS, and we all know how that turned out.
Old March 4th, 2015 (11:15 PM).
Silver Tier

They could've just had a new evil team, maybe one based around Sand/the desert that used Rock/Ground Pokémon. Obviously, it would've been a sequel to Emerald instead of RS.

... Which is pretty similar to what they did with XY and ORAS, and we all know how that turned out.
Well that's why I said put it at the end of the Generation, or in Gen IV all together. GF should've done ORAS at the end of Gen VII I think...and had Gen VII and Kanto re-remakes pick up from there. We could also have avoided this mess if RSE had been remade in Gen V instead...(more so if Gen V was on the 3DS instead of the DS).

Anyways crying over spilled Moomoo Milk won't help now...
Old March 5th, 2015 (12:08 AM).

Anyways crying over spilled Moomoo Milk won't help now...
No, it won't. What's done is done.

At this point, the main thing that needs to be taken into account is practicality, and it's simply more practical to remake RBY over DPP next. It's the only Gen that can't be played on the 3DS in any way, shape, or form, and the games are also far more outdated and thus, stand to gain more from a fresh remake. Yes, it's a remake of a Gen that has already been remade, but said remake is over a decade old now, and there isn't an easy, practical, legal way to play either version of the Gen anymore.
Old March 5th, 2015 (08:12 AM).
Silver Tier

Or it's too expensive to buy a new cartridge and a working GBA, or DS/DS lite. I sadly lost my FR so... well at this point Gen I is the only one I don't own any games of...

I think if GF is going to do it it'll be by 2018, if not then 2021...if not...well who knows...likely never... at least until the children of our generation (if you're Gen Y) are our age...
Old March 5th, 2015 (10:49 AM).

I think if GF is going to do it it'll be by 2018, if not then 2021...if not...well who knows...likely never... at least until the children of our generation (if you're Gen Y) are our age...
We'll be too old to care by then. Heck, even by 2021, most of us will be in our 30s.

Well, if it never happens, I guess Gen 1 fans will, at least, always have hacks. No, it's not the same as a "real" remake, but it's better than nothing. Maybe, it's just inevitable that Kanto/Johto and older fans, in general, will eventually be left behind.
Old March 5th, 2015 (07:14 PM).
Silver Tier

We'll be too old to care by then. Heck, even by 2021, most of us will be in our 30s.

Well, if it never happens, I guess Gen 1 fans will, at least, always have hacks. No, it's not the same as a "real" remake, but it's better than nothing. Maybe, it's just inevitable that Kanto/Johto/Hoenn and older fans, in general, will eventually be left behind.
I added another region to the list. Well there's still hope, but if it/they don't come by Gen VIII at the latest then it/they won't happen...
Old March 5th, 2015 (07:49 PM).

I added another region to the list.
That's true. After ORAS, it'll probably be a long time until we see Hoenn again. (Emerald fans might as well join Yellow fans at the ignored table.) Again, it's a shame that GF won't revisit old regions in more ways than just remakes.
Old March 5th, 2015 (10:03 PM).
Silver Tier

I wonder if they do re remake the Gen I games if they will be on the 3DS. No system has had more than one remake pair, but then again re-remakes themselves likely will be part of a different pattern than the first time remakes we've seen...
Old March 6th, 2015 (10:08 AM).

I wonder if they do re remake the Gen I games if they will be on the 3DS. No system has had more than one remake pair, but then again re-remakes themselves likely will be part of a different pattern than the first time remakes we've seen...
Well, remember that the biggest thing that separates Gen 3 from Gens 1 and 2 in the first place is that it's the first Gen to include a remake pair of its own. I don't think that previously-established remake "patterns" will play out the same from here on out.
Old March 6th, 2015 (10:18 AM).
Silver Tier

They could actually still remake them this Gen...seeing how they could just update the trading data in XYORAS like they did with Pokébank being able to read ORAS. Then by Gen VIII we can look forward to DP and Gen II remakes :3.
Old March 6th, 2015 (03:40 PM).

They could actually still remake them this Gen...seeing how they could just update the trading data in XYORAS like they did with Pokébank being able to read ORAS. Then by Gen VIII we can look forward to DP and Gen II remakes :3.
Well, we know that there are exactly two games left in Gen 6, and both Z and X2Y2 have been ruled out, so they could very well be 20th Anniversary Gen 1 remakes. I still don't think we'll see Gen 1 remakes until Gen 7, but you never know. It would certainly be a good explanation for why neither Z or X2Y2 are happening (as much as it may piss off Kalos fans).
Old March 6th, 2015 (04:06 PM).
Silver Tier

Well, we know that there are exactly two games left in Gen 6, and both Z and X2Y2 have been ruled out, so they could very well be 20th Anniversary Gen 1 remakes. I still don't think we'll see Gen 1 remakes until Gen 7, but you never know. It would certainly be a good explanation for why neither Z or X2Y2 are happening (as much as it may piss off Kalos fans).
Or they could also do a single prequel where the choices of the player determine if X or Y's events happen (like if you pick Xerneas then Y is , but Yvetal then X is) after the game. Players have wanted a game where our choices impacts the outcome, and considering GF meantioned they wanted to surprise fans it'll be a pleasant surprise. The last game can be a Yellow remake.

Or perhaps they'll save a return for Kalos for next Gen (considering how close the games are it'll be better than having prequels, then having Kalos pop up in the games the next year...it'll be worse than Cynthia popping up in three sets of games one year apart each xD (note this doesn't count DP and B2W2...)).
Old March 6th, 2015 (04:29 PM).

Or they could also do a single prequel where the choices of the player determine if X or Y's events happen (like if you pick Xerneas then Y is , but Yvetal then X is) after the game. Players have wanted a game where our choices impacts the outcome, and considering GF meantioned they wanted to surprise fans it'll be a pleasant surprise. The last game can be a Yellow remake.
That could be interesting, although is there really that great of a difference between X and Y besides the Box Legendary and wild Pokémon?

Or perhaps they'll save a return for Kalos for next Gen (considering how close the games are it'll be better than having prequels, then having Kalos pop up in the games the next year...
Seeing how long it's been since another Gen has been a direct sequel to the previous one, I think that would be a pleasant surprise to many. I think a GSC-style sequel would work, especially since the newer technology means that postgame Kalos won't be as barren as postgame Kanto was.
Old March 6th, 2015 (04:40 PM).
Silver Tier

That could be interesting, although is there really that great of a difference between X and Y besides the Box Legendary and wild Pokémon?

Seeing how long it's been since another Gen has been a direct sequel to the previous one, I think that would be a pleasant surprise to many. I think a GSC-style sequel would work, especially since the newer technology means that postgame Kalos won't be as barren as postgame Kanto was.
Not really, but it's the small differences which may make them doing something like it likely, since all of the player's choices result in relatively minor stuff...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links