• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
As Mr. Bell asked: In G/S/C Do we need to beat all 16 gyms + Ash (I will always call him ash :P), or just the 8 Johto Gyms? I'm fine with either, just curious :P

I'm heading through victory road soon, then time for elite 4.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
Made A LOT of progress since last time. To make a long story short, I beat both Erika and Koga, Got HM03 and HM04, caught a cubone (it evolved) and saved Mr Fuji and Silph Co.

Team:

034.gif
Grounder
Lv 35
Thrash
Surf
Double Kick
Mega Punch

051.gif
Quaker
Lv 36
Slash
Double Team
Dig
Cut

031.gif
Rina
Lv 35
Body Slam
Toxic
Ice Beam
Double Kick
105.gif
Skull
Lv 35
Skull Bash
Bone Club
Leer
Headbutt
075.gif
Roll
Lv 36
Strength
Defense Curl
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Now, onto Saffron Gym to kick some Psy-asses!

Last edited:

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
Years
As Mr. Bell asked: In G/S/C Do we need to beat all 16 gyms + Ash (I will always call him ash :P), or just the 8 Johto Gyms? I'm fine with either, just curious :P

I'm heading through victory road soon, then time for elite 4.
I'm guessing that you do have to beat the Kanto gym leaders; it just wouldn't be a proper run without them!

Anyway, blogging comes now!

Breaking the Ice

Is there really anything to say about Lorelei? She isn't a huge challenge if you have the right type matchup. Rock and ground types may have some trouble against her, but all you need is to be a few levels above her and you should be fine.
For my battle, the AI was stuck using rest, giving Hitomi a chance to use Meditate to the max. After that, I pulled an abolsute perfect sweep, nothing was spared; I ko'd every Pokemon in one hit!
Nothing much to say about Lorelei...

Beating Bruno

Bruno wasn't as willing to go down in this match. Leading with Onix wasn't a problem, as Ricky took him down with the minimum of effort as I got a crit Earthquake in there.
His next pokemon - Hitmonchan, was a real pain. Hitmonchan spammed Double Team to the point where it took forever to defeat him. In the end, Hitmonchan didn't do too much damage but he did drain my PP..
Hitmonlee was destroyed in one hit, no real challenge there.
Next Onix was even easier, Surf and bam :).
Now, Machamp.. Machamp was much harder. I switched Marcus in for the EXP and used Rock Slide which was a big mistake. I forgot that Rock is not very effective against Fighting, so that was a bit of a woops.
In the end, I switched in Wranthor and used Psychic. It wasn't a big deal, really.
Now, Bruno isn't very hard at all for anybody unless you're doing a normal type run. You can defeat Bruno very easily if you have the right attacks, so use that psychic TM!

Video for both of these battles are here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EmeIUhzX28s

Agatha's Attack

Agatha is when the Elite Four becomes tensious and hard. She leads with a Gengar who enjoys to confuse you. It took a while to get an Earthquake in which gave me a lovely OHKO. Thank you Ricky; he even got a level up! This gave him the chance to learn Submission, which I replaced Low Kick for.
The next Pokemon, Golbat was a simple matter. I switched into Marcus, using Rock Slide in order to get a heavy Super effective hit in. Luckily, his supersonic missed so I got another one in and Ko'd it.
Haunter was next on the list. I switched in Wranthor and used Psychic which didn't even do half damage, sadly. I did another and then surfed it. It wasn't an easy KO, so meh.
Arbok was next, I used Hypnosis on it and started spamming surf. Because of that, Arbok didn't do much at all to Wranthor!
Agatha's final pokemon: Gengar, wasn't easy at all. He used Hypnosis twice on me, making me have to use my full heals. Psychic did slightly more damage than surf, so I took up the advantage and just used whatever.
Luckily for me, I came out of this battle without too many cuts and bruises.

No chance for Lance!

The main man of the Elite four; Lance isn't an easy fellow to overcome in battle. Leading off with Gyarados should give you an insight that this dude means serious business. I managed to get a 2HKO with Marcus on Gyarados, but it liked using Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump. Luckily for me, Marcus didn't go down!
The two Dragonairs that Lance have were easy to defeat. They're slow things, so Wranthor easily outsped them. Ice Beam got a nice 2HKO in there, they stood no chance at all! In fact, one of the Dragonairs froze!
Aerodactyl was a bit disappointing. I should've used Surf, but instead I used Ice Beam.. Even then, his Wing Attack did DIDDLY to Poliwrath; this really surprised me. I thought Aerodactyl was strong!
Dragonite was awesome, it was defeated in one hit from Ice beam! Critical hit man.
In all, Lance will give you some trouble. If you're a Rock or a fire type trainer, beware.

Battle for both of these battles are here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PbrSssTqCW0
The Final Battle.... 3 more to go..

Here we go! The final battle with Pip - my rival!
Last time, you saw me losing against him thanks to his Alakazam and Psychic. Luckily for me I did some grinding and he put no fight at all to my behemoths.
He leads with Sandslash. I guffawed at his stupidity to lead with a ground type while I have a powerful water type in lead! I surfed him and it went down with the fishes.
Alakazam, ready for revenge.. I brought out Ricky and, to my surprise, he used Kinesis, not Psychic. Why? The AI is an idiot. One Earthquake brought the thing to a halt, causing no sweep this time.
Next up is Exeggutor, to avenge Alakazam. Exeggutor enjoyed spamming hypnosis; he really did. He used it 3 times in a row, but I got some Ice Beams in. The problem was when he used Leech Seed.... Then we got some slight trouble! However, he still went down without a hitch...
As for his next pokemon, Magneton. pfft, Magneton isn't worthy of being the Champion's pokemon!
I used Marcus and two submissions brought it down: foolish!
Cloyster, the defensive wall was up next. I brought in Hitmonlee to crack the shell, and it worked! Two double kicks were all it took to bring Cloyster down.

Finally.. the final Pokemon was brought out... Flareon. Flareon used Reflect a tad too many times while my Stallion thrashed it. However, I was confused and I didn't get a single Thrash in until my confusion was fixed. However, in the end, I downed Flareon with ease again.

And that was it. That was the final battle, were you looking for a challenge? Well of course it'll be a challenge. Like he says, he has a team that can defeat any type, unlike us.

Battle can be found here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5IaqpoPo_7k
Version where I lose is found here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_4SjawagswA
This is my final team:
gby062.gif

Wranthor
Level 66
HP: 233
Ice Beam
Psychic
Surf
Hypnosis
Highest Stat: Defense - 171
Lowest Stat: Special - 129

Wranthor was so helpful for me as the special support..

gby057.gif

Stallion
Level 64
HP: 201
Karate Chop
Seismic Toss
Screech
Thrash
Highest Stat: Attack - 181
Lowest Stat: Special - 114

Stallion was speedy and awesome

gby067.gif

Marcus
Level 64
HP: 211
Submission
Seismic Toss
Stength
Rock Slide
Highest Stat - Attack: 177
Lowest Stat - Speed: 90

Marcus was a wonderful flying support

gby068.gif

Ricky
Level 66
HP: 227
Strength
Submission
Seismic Toss
Earthquake
Highest Stat: Attack - 211
Lowest Stat: Speed - 115

Ricky was one powerful dude. His Earthquake saved me countless times

gby106.gif

Hitomi
Level 65
HP: 170
Double Kick
Meditate
Hi Jump Kick
Mega Kick
Highest Stat: Attack - 195
Lowest Stat: Special - 78

Marcus kicked his way to victory in Lorelei and I love him so!

So what's next for old Ikwaylx? Maybe I'll settle down for 3 years with my fighting types....

And so, 3 years later!

Black and Go- I mean Silver and Gold!

I'll be playing Silver this time. Because of the introduction of very few fighting types, my pokemon team will be pretty much unchanged from last time. I'll no longer be able to use Machamp, so we'll all miss Ricky.

This is my planned team

gbs214.gif

Heracross

gbs237.gif

Hitmontop - for uniqueness

gbs107.gif

Hitmonchan - for more uniqueness! (I'll breed Hitmontop with Ditto for this.)

gbs062.gif

Wranthor - again will be my main man.

gbg067.gif

Marcus

gbs106.gif

Hitomi

So it appears I'll be using the Hitmon series prominently in this run! I can't wait to get started.

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Finally Finished... Lance + My Rival were hell. But I guess that's normal considering I was level ~47-48. Haha. If you watch my Rival Fight, I used a TON of Full Restores and Revives. I'll edit the videos in the post as they finish converting. (Have to uncompress them for VBA, then convert them with Windows Movie Maker... annoying as hell)

"Blog" 9: The Final Frontier

I walked towards the pokemon league, and was stopped by my rival, naturally. After dispatching of his pokemon easily, I began my treck through Victory Road. The road was hard, but I eventually came out on top of it!

As I reached the first Elite 4 Member, I was scared. As most my pokemon were part flying, they could easily be taken down by Lorelei's Ice Pokemon. And I was right. Lorelei managed to knock out 4 of my 5 bugs, but Venomoth came out victorious versus Lapras, and I moved on.

Thanks to the amazingness of Butterfree, I escaped the next battle against Bruno without any scratches, one shotting 3 of his pokemon, draining another, and evading the 5th.

After a little bit of a hassle, I also dispatched of the 3rd elite 4, agatha, mainly thanks to the fact most of her ghost pokemon were in fact part poison! :D

And finally, the one I was MASSIVELY dreading... Lance. The dragon pokemon master. As bugs cannot learn Ice Beam (In generation I at least), I knew this would be hard. We were sharing blows. It was down to Venomoth and Dragonite. I used Toxic, and let it ride out while reviving my other teammates. Dragonite stupidly sat by increasing it's defenses and speed. Eventually, Toxic killed him, giving me my 4th victory.

And then... the final battle. My rival. The one I had JUST defeated... but he was stronger. After a LOT of Revives and Full Restores DURING the fight, I finally was victorious. My run through Pokemon Blue has come to an end. It's now time to start again, this time, in Crystal. I'm just REALLY glad there's a TON more bug pokemon to choose from, lol. I was forced to have these 5 in Blue.

My Team at the end:

Celest (Butterfree)
Level: 48
12.png

Psychic
Psybeam
Stun Spore
Solarbeam

Spitfire (Beedrill)
Level: 47
15.png

Take Down
Cut
Pin Missile
Twin Needle

Funster (Venomoth)
49.png

Psybeam
Stun Spore
Poison Powder
Leech Life

Shroomie (Parasect)
47.png

Slash
Spore
Mega Drain
Dig

Clamps (Pinsir)
127.png

Submission
Strength
Swords Dance
Body Slam

I nominate Butterfree as MVP for these fights, haha. She took out 3 of Brunos without even getting touched.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
Could I get some training tips. I've beaten Giovanni and nearly ready for E4 but my Pokemon are Lv. 43 and 42. Any places better than Victory Road to train? Also, I haven't fought many trainers.

Ikwaylx

Years
Congrats Myzou for beating the Elite Four with those underleveled levels!
Gold and Silver will be easy really in my opinion. I'm guessing that the hardest game for this will be Diamond and Pearl.

Absol, the only place you can really train is Victory Road.. None of the Pokemon are tough enough anywhere else. It'll take a while, but it'll be worth it.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Hehe, sorries for not being around too much here. Tis the holiday season, and I'll unfortunately have to say that I'll be even more inactive in the coming days. I'm going to my parents, and they've no Internet. >_<

That said, to answer noxious, yes, you need the same type in each generation.

As for going through Kanto in GSC, I was thinking not to, but as Ikwaylx pointed out, it wouldn't be a proper run without them! Therefore yes, let's go through Kanto again. :D

And TheAbsol, since you are using a Grass team why not try using the Super Rod for training, or else check out the Seafoam Islands? ^_^

*adding new members to first post*

As for myself, I have beaten the Elite Four in Blue, each on my first try. I was a little surprised that I managed to do so, seeing as I kept all my Pokemon's levels in the 30-40 range, XDD. I did some training in Victory Road, just so Slowpoke would evolve, and so Kadabra and Hypno would both learn Psychic.

121.png

Level 37
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psywave

124.png

Level 35
-Bubblebeam
-Lovely Kiss
-Ice Punch
-Blizzard

103.png

Level 35
-Mega Drain
-Hypnosis
-Leech Seed
-Psychic

64.png

Level 40
-Psybeam
-Psychic
-Seismic Toss
-Recover

97.png

Level 39
-Psychic
-Hypnosis
-Headbutt
-Dream Eater

80.png

Level 39
-Surf
-Confusion
-Fire Blast
-Body Slam

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Unfortunately, The Rival Battle didn't save... >_<

However, I took a video of checking the Hall of Fame afterwards, as well as the status of my pokemon in my team from after the fight, to show how hard it was for me. lol.

The fight was 13 min long, I think VBA burns out afte ra certain amount of time or something.

Videos:

Lorelei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwmpzEBsqk
Bruno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICx5aasZY8
Agatha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fv1zOV3B1s
Lance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8g5yJjWj2g
Hall of Fame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKgsvsdswyo

Last edited:

Ikwaylx

Years
Congrats to everybody who've beat generation 1 and are starting generation 2.
I'll start very soon and I'll begin blogging when I get Machop from Goldenrod.

The reason why I didn't pick Crystal was because I'm petrified of things that surprise me. Since you're forced to let the roaming pokemon free, I'm always worried that they're going to pop up! My phobia makes me unable to play Crystal, and it's sad because it's the best of all 3 of generation 2.
If only.. The odd egg would've came in handy too if it had Tyrogue in.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
Hey Guys
I now have all 8 badges and Im headed for the Pokemon League. Gary's Eevee evolved into Jolteon, so I wouldnt have much trouble. Ill have to train A LOT because my party is VERY low-levelled.

Sabrina: Pretty easy (Ikwaylx was right, there is no way to lose against her). Grounder did a grat job, and Quaker took his place when Alakazam KOd him.

Blaine: Rapidash and Ninetales were Kod in a few hits, but Arcanine took some more time. Grounder did the last hit. I wish I had earthquake, I had to look for it in Silph later and I found it after a long time.

Giovanni: As the previous times I battled him, he wasnt a challenge. His Nidoking Kod many of my pkmn, but Skull held itself and KOd him. THen I used my Max revive in Grounder and used Bone Club and took out a bit of Rhydon's HP. Then he took out the last Hp of Li'l Skull...but the recently revived Grounder ttok care of him and OHKOd him in one hit.

Now, to train for the Pokemon League...

Team:

034.gif
Grounder - Lv 41
Thrash
Surf
Mega Punch
Earthquake

031.gif

Rina - Lv 39
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Double Kick
Toxic

051.gif

Quaker - Lv 39/40
Slash
Double Team
Dig
Cut

075.gif

Roll - Lv 39
Strength
Defense Curl
Rock Slide
Earthquake

105.gif

Skull - Lv 40
Skull Bash
Bone Club
Leer
Headbutt

As I told you Im low levelled, so after I kick Gary's ass again Ill trian up to Lv 55 more or less

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Well, started my Crystal Journey. I was told Spinarak was located on the first routes, after Cherrygrove, but I spent a hour looking... *shrug* I now have 3 hours playtime after spending time leveling Butterfree and Beedrill XD Btw, I must shoot whoever came up with this challenge. I found a freakin Shiny Pidgey and had to kill it -.-

Pokemon Crystal "Blog" Part 1: The Buggy Beginning.

Well, I began my journey in Pokemon crystal, this time opting to be the girl trainer. I chose the fire type as my starter yet again, in order for my opponent to have a pokemon I neither have an advantage or disadvantage to. I fought my rival on my way back from Mr. Pokemon's house, and lost, to prevent Cyndaquil from getting exp. I then returned home, my mom offered to store my money, and I left, off to better things.

I left to Mr. Pokemon's house again, and shortly caught a female Caterpie, I of course named Celest. After a hour of training, Celest evolved into a Metapod! :D (God, it got MUCH slower in Crystal LOL) I then caught a male Weedle, which, again, naturally was named Spitfire. After MORE training, he evolved as well. :P

I soon reached Violet City, with my newly evolved Beedrill and Butterfree, and prepared for my first Gym Battle. But first, I took a detour and went up the place known as the Sprout Tower. After my victory at the top, the sage inside gave me the Flash HM. With that in hand, I used an escape rope, and headed into the gym for my first battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q59A0QU9-S8

After his birdies fell to their prey, I went back to the Pokemon Center to rest.

Current Team:

Celest (Butterfree)
Level: 12
gbc012.gif

Confusion
Tackle
String Shot
Harden

Spitfire (Beedrill)
Level: 12
gbc015.gif

Fury Attack
Poison Sting
String Shot
Harden

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Spinarak are only found at night, after 6 PM. :P

*is shot* Darn, with my luck I'll probably find a pack of shinies myself. XD

Years
Climbing the lighthouse
After quickly defeating Morty (Golbat's bite was a god send) i headed down to the next town only to see my rival he told me that the gym leader was the lighthouse so off to there i go there were a few people who wanted to fight i took them out fast
I found Jasmine up at the top of the light house and was told to go to Cianwood to get some meds for some poor sick Pokémon
Everybody going surfing…

I went to the bay and started to head out and met the newest member of our team, Kite the Mantine, She is also the first female member too.
A little training latter and we reach an island that i found to be Cianwood. After grabbing the meds for Jasmine i went into the gym for my next badge. All the Fighting trainers fell quickly to the might of my flying types. As i walked out the leader's wife give me a HM for fly, awesome.
Now I'm off to give the meds to Jasmine and fight her for my next badge.
My team

Kite-Mantine Lv. 31
High= Spcl. Def.-99
Low=Attack-37
Hoots-Noctowl Lv. 32

High= Spcl. Def.-77
Low=defence-50
Dude-Ledian Lv. 31
High= Spcl. Def-86
Low-Attack-37
Batty-Golbat Lv. 32
High= speed-77
Low=defence-61

Ikwaylx

Years
Starting my Silver journey!

A Whole New World to thrash!

I started out in my home, nice and warm with new, colourful graphics! wow! I look better than ever!
I went downstairs and obtained my Pokegear which I won't use very much in my journey. After of which I went to Prof. Elm for a task. I was to go to Mr. Pokemon in Cherrygrove and see what he coughed up this time! I chose Chikorita for cut support this time around. He'll exit my party once I teach Cut to Heracross.

The route to Cherrygrove wasn't difficult, but I decided to grind to level 8 to make things faster. Everything back up to Prof. Elm with the egg isn't neccessary to talk about.
I called my rival Gerald; apart from his final battle, he won't make an appearance so you get to know his name! *Gasp*

I saved most of the trainers and Sprout tower for when I develop my party. It's pointless not to, I'll blog Sprout Tower later.
Falkner was mildly difficult with Chikorita, but reflect saved my life. He went down easily and no, he won't be video logged. It's pointless logging a gym leader without a fighting type to use! It breaks the rules!

Let's skip ahead to when I got headbutt shall we? All I'll tell you is that Bugsy took two tries :(
So, I went back to the pokecenter in route 32 and grabbed the old rod. After that, I searched for 20 minutes to find a 'special tree' which has Heracross in. Special trees are randomly chosen trees that have rarer pokemon inside them, so they're pretty good if you find one. I found out that Heracross flees, so I had to search for more than one.
In the end, I caught him. I wanted to call him Hercules, but then I realised that without the s, it's Hercule. Hercule - also known as Mr. Satan - is my favourite character from DBZ, so it had to be done.

After Hercule was caught, I went back to route 31, fishing for Wranthors! I found one and caught it but: Woops! I forgot to nickname it! So, I caught another one and nick named it. However, I realised that it had MUCH better IVs than the other one, so I caught 3 more. The 2nd one was the best one I caught, so I kept that and realeased all the others.
Current Team:
gbs214.gif

Hercule
Level 12
HP: 42
Horn Attack
Tackle
Leer
Endure
Highest Stat: Attack - 36
Lowest Stat: Special Attack - 18 (OmahGawd, Special has been split up!)
Fun Fact: Heracross is Female, but I really wanted to call her Hercule.
gbs060.gif

Wranthor (Jr.)
HP: 31
Bubble
Hypnosis
Highest Stat: Speed - 25
Lowest Stat: Defense - 15
Isn't that queer? His defense is his weakest stat!
Note that I will be training Wranthor Jr., but I will not be using him in Gym Battles as he is water type. However, it'll be until Kanto when I evolve him. I may deposit him until I get to Kanto.

Next time, I will blog my battle against Whitney, me reobtaining Marcus and worrying about HMs! See you then!

Last edited:

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
It would be a proper run without Kanto. What's the point in going through the region again? It just takes more time.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Pokemon Crystal "Blog" Part 2: A VERY Buggy Battle

After defeating Falkner, I tried to leave Violet City, but was told there was a man with glasses in the Pokemon Center waitin to give me the mystery egg. Naturally, I did not want it, but in order to leave, I had to take it. I immediately placed it into my PC and started back on my journey. As it was now nighttime, I tried to take a shot at getting another member of my team. The first pokemon I spotted: A Female Spinarak. I immediately jumped for the opportunity. A few seconds later, Charlotte the Spinarak was the newest member of my team. :D

Soon, it became the morning, and I knew a 4th bug type would soon appear. A little bit later, I finally ran into a Female Ledyba I named, well, Lilo. (From the Episode of Lilo and Stitch that Lilo gets turned into a Ladybug :P) A While Later, Lilo and Charlotte caught up to Spitfire and Celest, level wise, and I was ready to continue my journey. (I'm at 9 hours playtime now...)

I fought my way through Union Cave after solving a Kabuto Puzzle at the Unown Ruins, and found myself in Azalea Town. I talked to a Pokeball Maker named Kurt, and he ran off. I went to the place known as the slowpoke well, where he asked me to chase the Rockets away from the town, as they're hurting all the slowpoke.

I agreed, and chased them off. Soon I found myself face to face with the Azalea Gym Leader, Bugsy, who also specialized in Bug Types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_RVWielqk

Bugsy was actually quite hard... Considering I had no moves that could effectively damage Scyther, it took all 4 of mine to take him out... wow.

Current Team:

Celest (Butterfree)
Level: 15
gbc012.gif

Confusion
Stun Spore
Poison Powder
Sleep Powder

Spitfire (Beedrill)
Level: 14
gbc015.gif

Fury Attack
Poison Sting
String Shot
Harden

Charlotte (Spinarak)
gbc167.gif

Poison Sting
String Shot
Scary Face
Constrict

Lilo (Ledyba)
gbc165.gif

Tackle
Supersonic
Comet Punch

Ikwaylx

Years
It would be a proper run without Kanto. What's the point in going through the region again? It just takes more time.
Why not? Kanto is changed in Gold and Silver to the point where it's still fun to go through. It doesn't last very long either, about quarter of the time it takes in Red/Blue.
Besides, wouldn't you want to fight Red? He's the reason that I say '"It isn't a complete run without Kanto."'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back