• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Randomized Pokémon Puzzles!

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
Intro
It might just be me, but I really love the tile-based puzzles and tricks that come from Pokemon games. I decided to make a program exploring their design and creating them out of random. This is just a demo. I don't really know where to take it to be honest.

Demo is made in C++, using SDL.
Can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6srdwenwx5q5a2d/Demo.zip

Overview
In its current state, the idea is simple. Get to the stairs that go up to complete the "level". The map then refreshed itself and never ends. In order to get there, the player must get through a randomized puzzle.

Features:
-Use of Ice tiles
-Use of Strength Boulders
-Use of Ledges
-Use of Rocket Base Arrow tiles
-Use of Switches
-Use of Warp Panels
-Combining concepts.
-Artistic design of maps.

-Maybe an actual game out of this.

Screenshot
mwrniaw.png

I'll put this on git. Maybe. If people want and I feel like I've added enough.

Credits (also mentioned in the executable)
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen tiles, Black/White sound effects, and HeartGold/SoulSilver tiles and music (C) Nintendo/Game Freak

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This is really cool. I enjoy the puzzles too, and it's harder than it seems to make good ones (particularly in a restricted area).

I'd love to know how you generate the maps. Obviously you start off with full ice and the walls and then place objects (floor/holes/rocks/entrance/exit) according to some random system. How do you figure out where to place the exit? Do you make the rest of the map and then simulate a play-through for X steps and place the exit where you end up? The random placement system may also be interesting in itself, depending on whether and how you deviated from a purely random approach.

The other puzzle types you've written down are also fun. I'd like to know how you're thinking of making them.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2013
This is awesome. It continued to amuse me for about an hour before I had to go and do something else.
Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Also, may I ask where you got the music from? Never did I think a Forest theme would fit better than an Ice one.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2023
I know this is necroposting, but I have been looking for a nice ice puzzle generator and I keep coming up short. This seemed to be the most promising, but the download link is broken. Is there any way to get the files?

Back