• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2013
Pokemon DSI or DSI XL

Hello! I am soon going to buy a DS console ( first one ) so i can experience one of the pokemon games,
BW2. Thought i am not sure which console to get. I just want the graphics and music to be at their best and because i heard there are pixels on the DSI XL I was wondering is it true, and if it ruins the game should i get the smaller version. So i am not sure and hoping you can help me make my decision. (PS. Also please dont answer 3DS because i have made a decision just to buy it when gen 6 comes out and I see if its only 3DS or not :p ).Thanks in advance :D!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The DSi XL is just fine and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you don't like things looking too pixel-y, then go with a regular one. If you don't mind it, go for the large one. They're surprisingly nice to use. Portability wise though, if you have large pockets, you'll be good with the XL. If not...I suggest you start carrying a messenger bag. :3 lol

Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2013
One more question, I just understood that i have the funding to also buy a 3DS Xl thought after all the feedback i have readed and watched i understand that the resolution just screws up the game and the 3DS XL mixes all the music up, is that true, is it that bad?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I honestly haven't heard anything like that. Now, DS games may look a bit blurry on a 3DS, however it's nothing that will ruin the game. The music sounds fine as well, perhaps even a bit louder. But it's not awful and nothing makes the game unplayable or messed up. You might have better luck asking in the Video Game's Q&A thread though, because this thread is more for questions about Pokemon game mechanics and game choice rather than console choice or things not relating to Pokemon games. If you want more insight to the consoles themselves, you can ask there. As for how Pokemon games play on a 3DS though, they've always been fine for me, however, I can't speak for the 3DS XL, though I doubt it messes up your game or makes it look bad or anything. You might also consider looking up videos to see if anyone shows how the game looks on one, but idk if there are any videos like that. Worth a shot though, right?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
How do I tend to EV train my Pokemon? I've been searching through Bulbapedia and I sort of don't understand. I've been trying to raise my Pokemon by fighting trainers in game in Pokemon Black, but does that count as that? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I've been confused on the basis to Effort Value training.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The Perfect Roaming Trapper

I've been putting a lot of thought into how to catch my Entei (still roaming in SS), and have come upon what I think is an ideal method.

1. Catch a Smeargle (I have one).
2. Use Exp. Share (or have it Sketch a powerful move - which can later be forgotten if you don't need it later - and let it do its own fighting) to level it up to a high enough level that it can outspeed opponents.
3. Encounter a Gastly (Sprout Tower in Violet City). Have items you can just waste while waiting for it to use Mean Look. As soon as it does, Sketch it.
4. Go to move relearner (Blackthorne). Use a Heart Scale and relearn Sketch (I'm assuming this works).
5. Encounter a Sunkern (i.e. National Park during the daytime). Use Mean Look a few times, or at least until Sunkern uses Ingrain. Immediately Sketch it.
6. Repeat Step 4.
7. Find a stronger Ledyba (Kanto Route 18 is excellent, at Lv.26-27). Linger around and wait for Baton Pass to be used. Sketch it.

At this point, you should be able to encounter any roamer, use Mean Look to make it fight you, use Ingrain to negate the Roar it may often attempt to use the next turn, and then Baton Pass (keeping both effects in place) to someone who knows False Swipe or - in the event you have it weakened already - to someone with a paralysis-only or sleep-inducing move. It should be an easy catch from here.

Is there a problem with this logic? Is there a better way to do this? I've seen advice to breed and evolve a Gengar with an Egg Move as a Gastly, but that would take a lot longer than the above and I think the above is foolproof unless the effects do not stay in place.

(BTW, I intend this to be a thread for roamer catching discussion, not a simple quick question.)

NOTE: I am aware in Gen. V that Mean Look is negated after Baton Pass is used.

Cyclone

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think you need Baton Pass. You could get Smeargle to level 100 and have it know False Swipe, and just carry a lot of healing items. That's what I see most people doing. Everything else though (Mean Look and Ingrain) are fine. Baton Pass though, eh. I'd only want that as a last resort type of thing. I think Smeargle at a high enough level is capable of holding its own as a trapper.

edit: idk if you meant to ask this just for SS (since that's what you're playing as you stated), but next time you have a question for a specific game, please post it in its corresponding thread. I went ahead and merged it into this one for now, since it sort of applies to other games, but your post is really generalized towards HGSS, so yeah. Just keep that in mind next time, please. :)

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Also you could just use a Pokémon with Taunt which prevents Roar.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
edit: idk if you meant to ask this just for SS (since that's what you're playing as you stated), but next time you have a question for a specific game, please post it in its corresponding thread. I went ahead and merged it into this one for now, since it sort of applies to other games, but your post is really generalized towards HGSS, so yeah. Just keep that in mind next time, please. :)
Actually, I DID mean to ask it for all games, hence the Gen. V note at the end that I added in. I mean to discuss what the best trapper is in each generation or each set of games itself. The discussion can continue as things change in later generations. I used the Smeargle I'm trying to prep. in SS as an example.

Also you could just use a Pokémon with Taunt which prevents Roar.
This is true, but Taunt wears off. Granted, I believe the roamers always move last, so a worn off Taunt can just be resparked. That's an idea, meaning Taunt is another option for Smeargle (unless Sketch can't be used after a Taunt).

Cyclone

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Actually, I DID mean to ask it for all games, hence the Gen. V note at the end that I added in. I mean to discuss what the best trapper is in each generation or each set of games itself. The discussion can continue as things change in later generations.

You worded it to where you sounded like you were asking it for yourself, not to start a discussion, so sorry for the misunderstanding. Next time though, make sure you check how you word things before posting. Reading your post again, it just doesn't sound like you made it out to be a thread topic.

This is true, but Taunt wears off. Granted, I believe the roamers always move last, so a worn off Taunt can just be resparked. That's an idea, meaning Taunt is another option for Smeargle (unless Sketch can't be used after a Taunt).

Get in a double battle with your Smeargle and another one of your Pokemon that has Taunt. Sketch Taunt from your partner Pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Found another great option: Murkrow as designed. It learns Taunt and Mean Look, and is the only Pokémon to naturally learn both (excluding possibly one in Unova that might exist). Any Murkrow at Lv.41 is excellent for preventing Roar and running away simultaneously if you can get it down in HP beforehand.

That will be my project for tonite: trying to catch Entei with a Murkrow once I level it up.

EDIT: Success! Lv.45 Murkrow does it, but I had to use some healing items between ball chucking to pull it off. Higher level recommended. Managed to catch it trying to use Roar on me with a Taunt.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
PMD RRT

PMD RRT [for short] (red rescue team) is kinda nice but i have always wondered what is different between every PMD that was ever made and don't mention the 3D ability or new pokemon from other generations i just want to know what is the different in every PMD that was ever made in story line for an example you always wake up as a pokemon in every PMD version soo this is kinda boring and all this stuff and i know my words are kinda confusing [bad grammer lol] SOOO LETS PUT THIS IN SHORT

Name every PMD that was ever made

Choose Top 2

Tell me why you choose those 2?

What is the difference in every story line?

Thats all ;P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
ummm okay:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky
the three Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games that are for the WiiWare that only Japan got to experience (lucky people)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the infinite labyrinth

The Top 2: Ummm PMD RRT and PMD BRT

the difference: different Pokemon, and one is for the GBA and the other is for the Nintendo DS.

:t354:TG

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's not a real Pokemon. It's just a glitch that appears for...well, it has something to do with the Pokedex number code on the wild encounter Pokemon going past 151. This will explain it better than I can: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Missingno

Even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQeedFtYckw

Just know it's not a real Pokemon. More like a glitch Pokemon, so it doesn't get a number (fitting for the name, eh?) or a dex entry.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I already read that, I googled before I posted about this and there is a discussion in the pokemon general that some one mentioned because of Missingno it would win a fight between Unova and Kanto (I think that was the last region) Just wondering why ppl are still talking about a pokemon that doesn't exist really!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
People still find it interesting to this day, really. I mean, people still think RBY is the best thing since sliced bread and ignore gens II-V, so yeah. People will discuss and gush over anything really.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Ok one more and I'm done, why would Missingno be listed on Bulba if it's not real? I mean Bulba to me and serebii is my trusted sites for pokemon info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back