• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Favorite Gen 1 Starter In-Game

Which was your favorite in-game starter from Gen 1?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Charmander

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
Years
From the moment I saw the artwork for him, I wanted to pick Charmander. I love that little dude. Bulbasaur is second - I feel a bit sorry for the guy, seems like he never gets the love he deserves!

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
Years
I've basically solo'd the game with Blastoise before. If you fight every trainer in the game and lead with Blastoise he'll be like level 80 by the time you get to the Elite Four, and then you can just power-clear them. Lorelei was a bit annoying though.

BigFourHead

I actually suck at these games
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 5, 2013
I never liked other fire Pokemon in the first gen and during play throughs my team was always centered around speed and power rather than much strategy (mainly because I was like 7 and didn't think about it.) So Charmander would be an easy choice for me since you could get solid water Pokemon shortly anyway (Gyrados being an easy option for me as well.) I never saw a use for grass since you could cover everything it was useful against using electric or water anyway, save a rare water/ground type not found until Gen 2.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I went ahead as voted for pikachu. I was mad that I couldn't evolve it, but it still made me happy to have it following me around. Second place would be Bulbasaur probably.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 20, 2013
Pikachu cause i would train it alot and raise it speed what ever it took to make a killer machine

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
Years
for me the best starter is squirtle, because.. hm, evolve to blastoise ( ^^ ), looks sweet, i love water type pokemons and attacks

Years
It seems that most people are picking Charmander, but I would have to say that Pikachu is better. If you work at training your Pikachu, you can get it really strong! You also don't really get to evolve it in Gen 1/2, so you are saving all of those long evolution screens (even though I sometimes enjoy the suspense).

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I have nothing against Flamethrower or Skull Bash, (perfectly decent attacks, respect Blastoise/Charizard, eternally.) but Venusaur takes the cake. He's my favourite, and happens to be the first pokemon I used, ever, when I got Red when I was 10 years old. I vote Pikachu because I love Yellow more than the other two, but Venusaur would always beat Pikachu in a fight. Always, just max your stats and find out.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Charmander is my favourite, followed closely by Pikachu. I only had Yellow, Charizard and Pikachu were my MVP in my team.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
although bulbasaur was my first pokemon ever, i must say that i think blastoise is the coolest final evolution. dont get me wrong, charizard is cool too, but something about those canons on the back is just awesome

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
Charmander is my favourite- as overrated as it is and as tired as I am of seeing it thanks to its popularity, Charizard is still amazing.

Ironically I haven't used it as part of a team in a good long while, though... while I've used Squirtle several times recently and Pikachu on one of my latest runs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I still don't care if it's considered overrated and all, Charmander will always be my favorite. I love all of Gen. 1's starters though.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I love Squirtle and prefer it to Charmander, but not as much in-game. I loved using Charizard's Fissure because its Speed made it pretty accurate (For Fissure to work at 30% accuracy, your pokemon has to outspeed the other).

Back