• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shooting at MIT

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
A various number of new sources are reporting that there is a potential shooter loose on the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) campus.

Here are the messages being displayed on the MIT website:

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:20
Responding agencies continue to investigate active shooter incident at building 32(Stata). Please stay indoors and away from Building 32((Stata) and surrounding area.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:48 PM
At 10:48 PM today gunshots were reported near Building 32 (Stata) which is currently surrounded by responding agencies. The area is cordoned off. Please stay clear of area until further notice. Unknown if injuries have occurred.. Although the situation is considered active and extremely dangerous, an investigation is underway. Updates will be provided at this site when more information becomes available.

Link

Also, apparently a police officer has been shot and is in the hospital, CNN is reporting.

What is up what all these shootings these days, especially on school campuses?

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Here's a picture of the current situation, courtesy of MIT student Yang Chu.

Spoiler:

And yeah, school campuses have become so dangerous nowadays.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Oh come on, this is getting ridiculous. They're all relatively small scale, separate incidents with no relation whatsoever... but this is still way too much in such short amount of time.

Years
Nahh, not as dangerous as any other collection of buildings. Maybe due to the presence of mentally and economically unstable young adults, maybe yeah. Let's chill the hell down before this gets blown out of proportion, it might just end well.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Here's an update statement:

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:41 PM
Update on shooter incident. Responding agencies continue to investigate the situation. The scene is outside of Building 32 (Stata) and 76 (Koch) near Vassar and Main Streets. Injuries have been reported. The situation is still very active and we ask everyone to stay inside.

Hoping for the best, but these types of incidents almost always never end well. And it also seems as though these incidents are becoming commonplace now, at least within the United States...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
And yeah, school campuses have become so dangerous nowadays.

You forgot to clarify *in America. There's nothing like this in Australia (and I'm 100% sure there hasn't been for maaany years if so). I'm also pretty sure the same thing doesn't happen very often in UK either. Any shooting, school, anywhere, is mainly in America in most cases. Australia, with gun laws, p much the biggest thing we have is tazering people. But really, I've been at my uni for four years and it's been completely safe so...

I find it interesting that it's in Massachusetts, the place of where the bombings were just a few days ago. Connection?

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
You forgot to clarify *in America. There's nothing like this in Australia (and I'm 100% sure there hasn't been for maaany years if so). I'm also pretty sure the same thing doesn't happen very often in UK either. Any shooting, school, anywhere, is mainly in America in most cases. Australia, with gun laws, p much the biggest thing we have is tazering people. But really, I've been at my uni for four years and it's been completely safe so...

I find it interesting that it's in Massachusetts, the place of where the bombings were just a few days ago. Connection?

Not sure if gun laws/restrictions in America would actually stop this kind of stuff from happening, though. Too many people already own guns in this country as it is, and gun restrictions wouldn't necessarily stop people from obtaining these weapons illegally.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Like Mario pointed out, a bad thing has happened everyday this week so far. I'm not prepared to see what tomorrow brings. :/ I don't feel safe anymore...to be fair, I haven't felt safe in a long time. If I don't feel safe in my own house, then I sure as hell don't feel safe in this country.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I don't hear much of anything like this happening in Canada. What kind of mentality has something in American instilled in these people, and how can it be cut out of whatever it is - curriculum, parenting, whatever.

It's nuts.

Years
@Sydian

You shouldn't have to feel unsafe. The chances that this'll happen to you are very very small! Shame on the media for putting so much pressure on events like this. If you look at the trends, violent crime is going down for much of the US. 3.8% in fact - if you compound that over 10 years (I'm too lazy to look up the actual numbers), that's a 32% reduction in total. And you're much more likely to be murdered, robbed, or raped than being involved with a media covered crime like the one's we've seen recently. I see these events mostly in light of their political value - because people will continue to get hurt every day regardless of whatever atrocity we see on the news.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Just an update:

Not long after midnight, there were reports of a car jacking at a gas station on Memorial Drive. The suspects took a Mercedes SUV. Minutes later there were shots fired in Watertown. Then an officer said "they have explosives and grenades." After the exchange of fire, police scanners reported an officer down. The suspect remains on the loose and considered armed and extremely dangerous.

Source

Just, ugh. I hope they catch him.

Years
Do you guys think these are copycats, or at least influence by the publicized violence lately? Like if other incidents reach the news, these people might actually believe they could pull it off.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
There is something very, very wrong with the US.

I'm going to quote the Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy: "Instead of trying to control and regulate violence, apparently (our country) have decided to give guns to the good guys, give guns to the bad guys, and let them shoot it out. And then hope the good guys somehow win."

Also apparently there is 1 dead and the FBI thinks that the perpetrator might be one of the two Marathon suspects (source: Boston Globe).

Last edited:

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
What another shooting and it's inside a school again?

Can all people just be friends and live happy for the rest of our lives.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm listening to the scanners now and it's getting insanely intense. The two suspects are identified to be the marathon bombers, and they are preparing to breach the second suspect, the kid that's been circulated in the white hat on the net today. He was identified as Sunil Tripathi, a Brown Uni student who went missing last month.

This has been ongoing all night, apparently they were placing explosives outside MIT which led to the initial shootout with the first cop who died, and led to the chase. They carjacked someone and are now in Watertown where the first suspect was apprehended but was DOA. Stuff is circulating now that he had explosives on him and that he detonated them after arrest but it's still developing. They've spotted suspect #2 and believe him to have explosives strapped to himself as well.

Insane.

Other interested factoid, Redditors correctly guessed the identity of one of the suspects based on a missing persons file from last month. They identified him like two hours before the MIT incident started. Link here.

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Suspect #1 is confirmed dead. Massive manhunt for the second suspect, believed to be 19 year old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
SOURCE

Both are believed to be brothers from Chechnya. Crazy stuff

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Holy cow. The same people from the bombing. This is crazy. City's on lockdown now.

I wonder if releasing their photos was a good thing last night? This all seemed to go down right after that.

Back