• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Another Pokemon that I think I changed opinions on thanks to the 3D models:

swoobat.gif

I didn't like the animation of Swoobat's old sprite, which made me think it was struggling to stay in the air but it looks way better in X/Y now, I actually think I like it more than I did in 5th Gen. 3D definitely improved the hearty bat in my opinion.

I have one from my Black, and I totally kept her in my party because of this sprite, too! So cute!

Wailord looks real hilarious when you poke your stylus at him though, by the way :P

Gible

Y L I E S S E
Years
I hate how Haxorus looks in 3D. None of my friends see it but I think the Gen. V sprite is thinner, more armor-like, and overall more BA. The 3D model makes him seem like he cut loose and had too much comfort ice cream.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
612.png

Hmm, not sure... I actually like Haxorus' model, to be honest! Used to think that it was a bug-type Pokémon due to its small sprite size, but thankfully, this was all sorted in X and Y. :]

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
I have always loved Umbreon in some way. And when my Eevee evolved, I fell in love again. Though when I went to Pokemon-Amie with it, it looked kind of arrogant to me or something. I just try to forget that :)

And Jynx was... well, even more Jynx.

EDIT: Oh, and some of the Pokemon I didn't know were flat really shocked me, like Anorith and Stunfisk.

Gible

Y L I E S S E
Years
Hmm, not sure... I actually like Haxorus' model, to be honest! Used to think that it was a bug-type Pokémon due to its small sprite size, but thankfully, this was all sorted in X and Y. :]

Haha that's what my friends say too! I feel he just looks too... smoothed out and chubby. I do love Rayquaza's sprite though. Used to think he was really stupid looking because of how stiff and clunky he seemed but when I saw how fluid he actually moved, I thought it was cool. The still 2D sprite doesn't do Rayquaza any justice lol.

TheWanap

Developing: Pokemon: Cursed Time
Years
Most likely, I like the 3D graphics, only Eelektross is quite bad in my opinion. I like it better in B/W. Otherwise, I like everything else in 3D. :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Most likely, I like the 3D graphics, only Eelektross is quite bad in my opinion. I like it better in B/W. Otherwise, I like everything else in 3D. :)

Yeah, Eelektross' model is a bit on the creepy side of things, haha. Would have been great if they had put a little more effort on that. d:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 18, 2014
For the most part I've been really impressed with Pokemon's move to 3D. I always used to dread the day the games went this route, but now I can't imagine going back to static sprites.

And this is a great question. The new take on old pokemon has definitely changed my opinions about some and piqued my interest in them. Mawile, for one, the way it's turned around and looking back at you so you just see a peak of its cute face behind the giant jaws. I was also impressed by Volcarona all over again in X/Y, it's quite intimidating... for a bug.

Some impressed me less, of course. My Haxorous using Outrage looks ridiculous; its animation is way out of time with the attack, and he attacks with his head up and down as though attacking with his chin instead of side to side with his axe horns like you'd expect.

All the megas' animations look good that I've seen (no surprise that they'd spend a lot of time on their animations), like Mega Absol and Mega Ampharos getting serious and still as opposed to normal Ampharos that's bobbing weirdly side to side like a bowling pin.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Swellow seems a lot cooler than the other birds, seeing its wings drift on the wind as opposed to flapping.

I like how Hitmonchan is constantly bouncing between his feet like a boxer would. I kinda miss seeing Hitmonchan stand on his head.

Absolutely hate that Meditite stand on its 2 feet... I think it should be floating midair, with its legs crossed.

The fact that the Cyndaquil evolutionary line don't have their fire out by very, very conveniently fits the headcanon I have for my own Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion as it grew up, and so does the fact that Typhlosion gets on all-fours before using a fire type move. So many people dislike that its fire isn't always there, though, that I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak change it... Better enjoy it while I can. :)

Years
I loved the 3D graphic overhaul because I thought battles in Colosseum, a three-dimensional pokemon game, were much more endearing and aesthetically pleasing than in the main series. Naurally, I was ecstatic upon seeing how similar X and Y's battle system looked. However, the older games haven't lost any potency, and in some cases are superior to the models of some pokemon in generation VI.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
It hasn't changed my opinion too much, though I must say that Torkoal's cloud looks horrific. It's this pixelated disaster that is simultaneously in three dimensions and just looks bad. They should've removed the pixel lines from it.

Also, not a fan of Archeops. It looks a lot fatter and less... aerodynamic than it did in B/W.

Other than that, I prefer them in 3D. I can't really imagine finding Braixen as adorable as I do had I first seen it in sprite form. And a lot of things just look cuter now that they're more... touchable. Especially in Amie. Looking at things like Fennekin and Victini make me want to snuggle hugs. *_____*

Years
I didn't like Eelektross before but now in 3D I love it.. Most people hate that it's floating but I love it..

If only it was a little bit faster :(

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
MUK looks awesome in 3D.

Samurott's Sword is Awesome.

Tropius looks like he weighs 500 pounds and never touches the earth.

Flying Pokemon should Land on the field when they use Roost, as it does have an effect in-game, they loose Flying type for a turn. But know one would know that without looking it up.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
MUK looks awesome in 3D.

Samurott's Sword is Awesome.

Tropius looks like he weighs 500 pounds and never touches the earth.

Flying Pokemon should Land on the field when they use Roost, as it does have an effect in-game, they loose Flying type for a turn. But know one would know that without looking it up.

People (including me) usually forget that Tropius could fly, so maybe that's why they made its model hover in the air? Personally, I love it; looks very unique. :]

Years
People (including me) usually forget that Tropius could fly, so maybe that's why they made its model hover in the air? Personally, I love it; looks very unique. :]

I don't think it's that, it's probably because of Sky Battles that most Flying-types have models depicted as flying in the air. Even stuff that I'd never saw flying in their old sprites such as Xatu and Skarmory.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
What I didn't realize is that Ralts had eyes... They're freaky... o_o

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Ya know, I really do like the way Black Kyurem looks in X/Y...

Kyurem_Black_XY.gif

But I kinda miss its animation from Black2/White2:
646-black.gif

IDK, I just like that for some reason. It doesn't move much now in Gen 6.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't think it's that, it's probably because of Sky Battles that most Flying-types have models depicted as flying in the air. Even stuff that I'd never saw flying in their old sprites such as Xatu and Skarmory.

Ah, okay, never knew that! I think it would have been great if there were separate sets of model for each sky and land battles; that way, I'm sure people would have liked it more. Not really sure how much extra work that would have been, but it would be worth it in the end. =)

Years
It made me pay more attention to pokés that I hadn't really noticed as much before, like Furret and Glaceon and I'm sure there were others as well, just because the animation was either really intricate or dynamic :)

Back